• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salamando

Heroic Dungeons were originally designed for people with ilvls < 460. No shame in running them. If you mean raids, might be better to get carried as a DPS with loot choice set to "Prot". In the MSV-HoF-ToeS raids, loot drops like candy.

Get this - http://www.wowhead.com/item=86522/ . It's a lootable world item that gives you a ilvl 450 sword. Not much, but better than what you've got.

Downtime like this is wayyyyy worse when you're on the East coast :/

No servers till 2PM. Midwest was better since you'd have them up at 1 or so, right after lunch.

I guess it doesn't really matter for people with regular 9-5 jobs, but when you have free time and want to play it's annoying.

Though it is patch deployment. I don't think they've had much in the way of extensive downtime like this outside of patches since Wrath really. Usually just rolling restarts, no downtime, or 1 hour downtime. Not sure if I like Blizzard's method over CCP's which is ~10-20 minutes daily, outside of patches which can be a few hours or longer.

SRTtoZ

Downtime like this is wayyyyy worse when you're on the East coast :/

No servers till 2PM. Midwest was better since you'd have them up at 1 or so, right after lunch.

I guess it doesn't really matter for people with regular 9-5 jobs, but when you have free time and want to play it's annoying.

Though it is patch deployment. I don't think they've had much in the way of extensive downtime like this outside of patches since Wrath really. Usually just rolling restarts, no downtime, or 1 hour downtime. Not sure if I like Blizzard's method over CCP's which is ~10-20 minutes daily, outside of patches which can be a few hours or longer.

Yep, gonna play some PS4 to pass the time. The coolest thing I'm looking forward to in this patch is being able to try different servers since I will have my heirlooms everywhere now. Cant wait.

It could be worst. You could be a monk and have nothing at all except MoP tiers that aren't even soloable.

This is true.

Monk is the only class I don't have right now. Made one to something like 3 before but then deleted it. Will grab one eventually though.

By the way, you can do heroic scenarios cross-realm right? I need to do one for the initial quest reward you get from that. Would be more fun with GAF than randoms from trade chat or the auto-invite guild(s) I'm currently in (was booted from most previous guilds after coming back, but that's understandable after no activity for 1+ year).

If I don't have you already, add me at CarbonFalcon#1838. Also actively playing Hearthstone and maybe a bit if D3. HoS I still need to beat the campaign at some point…

Ultratech

So this is my prot warrior

I've got some Timeless Isle gear, but I've also got some serious garbage. But most the upgrades require me running heroics to get justice. Should I just run heroics? I feel like I'm way undergeared

Run the Arena of Annihilation scenario to get yourself a better weapon.

From there, either hit up the Timeless Isle some more or start doing some earlier LFRs to upgrade your gear.
You can also run some Heroics if you want some better gear before hitting up LFRs.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I feel bad I missed most of the expansion now. Even though I'm essentially "caught up" in terms of gear, it's not as fun as going through all the content as it's out. Mostly Isle of Thunder stuff since that's a troll raid (!) and was supposed to be like Isle of Quel'Danas with the rolling progression which I missed out on not having played BC. I mean I guess I'll do it for rep and vanity stuff, bit it's not the same.

By the way, I do have to say Timeless Isle with the way that works was a pretty great idea for people sick of the daily inundation that we had in 5.0. Could use a few tweaks, but mostly awesome, and I definitely hope/expect there's more content like it in WoD. Not that all dailies are bad, but 5.0 if you were maximizing rep gains it was something like 30-40(+?) dailies a day, and that's primarily what burnt me out at the time.

mclem

First kill Garrosh - 2-heal or 3-heal?

On the one hand, more DPS makes phases shorter and should make it easier to handle mind control and whirlwind adds. On the other, healers get stretched really thin.

We've gone back and forth over it due to attendance meaning that we go with what we have available, but we might actually have a choice about it this week.

Tacitus_

Finally found a proper sword for my Deathbringer transmog. Cost me 3k in the AH to get but eh, worth it.

sNDmiJ5.jpg

Salamando

On the one hand, more DPS makes phases shorter and should make it easier to handle mind control and whirlwind adds. On the other, healers get stretched really thin.

We've gone back and forth over it due to attendance meaning that we go with what we have available, but we might actually have a choice about it this week.

My guild runs 2 heals. It's the method that worked best for our strat...in particular, we wanted to minimize the amount of time we spent in last phase since those MC's can be killer. Even those adds Whirling spawns just gets tanked while we burn the boss down. Extending that phase could mean more adds than the tank could handle.

Speaking of awesome sword transmogs, I've been hanging on to one of these for ages. Because it's totally awesome. Haven't decided if I ever want to use it for myself for sell it on the AH for a quick burst of gold (10k at least easy). And then, I'm not sure who I would use it on.

mclem

My guild runs 2 heals. It's the method that worked best for our strat...in particular, we wanted to minimize the amount of time we spent in last phase since those MC's can be killer. Even those adds Whirling spawns just gets tanked while we burn the boss down. Extending that phase could mean more adds than the tank could handle.

We haven't got to phase 3 yet. On the good goes we fall apart on the empowered whirlwinds. But that's on the good goes, which are rather less common when two-healing, but we get to that point more frequently when 3-healing.

That said, phase 3 is very much in my mind as a stumbling block. I don't want to get there reliant on 3-healing and then decide we need the extra DPS.

Salamando

We haven't got to phase 3 yet. On the good goes we fall apart on the empowered whirlwinds. But that's on the good goes, which are rather less common when two-healing, but we get to that point more frequently when 3-healing.

That said, phase 3 is very much in my mind as a stumbling block. I don't want to get there reliant on 3-healing and then decide we need the extra DPS.

What's actually killing you? The adds themselves, the adds getting buffed up, or the AOE damage?

The adds were real tricky for us at first. Turns out our pally tank's healing aggro was pulling everything to him, making separating them really hard. We had him turn off righteous fury when the adds start popping, and that made a world of difference.

Priests' Void Tendrils work well here for keeping an add attacking you, regardless of aggro. Imagine mage's freezing stuff or druid roots could work too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Got the mace from the arena. Now I'm trying to get all the Timeless Isle armor pieces before I feel confident enough to do heroics to get the trinkets to THEN do LFR.

Just need gloves and wrists. I heard your likeliness of getting armor drops decreases the longer you spend on the island? And is there a shoulder drop for the island?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I can't wait for the clever NSA achievement names and guild names as a result of the snowden thing

Maybe even a quest line about an ex SI6 agent that goes to the horde or something.

Got the mace from the arena. Now I'm trying to get all the Timeless Isle armor pieces before I feel confident enough to do heroics to get the trinkets to THEN do LFR.

Just need gloves and wrists. I heard your likeliness of getting armor drops decreases the longer you spend on the island? And is there a shoulder drop for the island?

1. Don't know if true, never heard of it before now.

2. Yes, there's a shoulder, though it seems to be on the rarer side, albeit not as rare as trinket/ring/cloak.

Tacitus_

We did it with two. Just use raid CDs for the whirls. The main threats in the encounter are the MCs and prolonging the phases.

You're talking about 5 man heroics, right? You can go right into them with leveling greens, they're so easy.
And yes, there's a shoulder drop.

Ultratech

May as well just start heroics. You're more than geared enough for them and they're pretty easy nowadays.

Also, don't forget the JP Vendor over there in Townlong!
You could probably just chain run some heroics, get some JP, and blow it on a 489 trinket and/or some gear if you feel like it.

Most of the old Valor gear vendors sell their stuff for JP now.
And you can spend your Valor on 522 gear from the Shado-Pan Assault.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
1. Don't know if true, never heard of it before now.

2. Yes, there's a shoulder, though it seems to be on the rarer side, albeit not as rare as trinket/ring/cloak.

I swear the rarest epic from Timeless Isle is the necklace. I think I only saw it drop twice on 2 different characters and i saw 100 of those TI epics.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually got the necklace today on my warrior. Struggling to get any more plate drops today though. Or anything other than coins and epoch stones.

Bwahaha. 4 bosses in first wing of SoO, 4 pieces of loot. So good. Even got a trinket, and since I bought my other one late last night right before downtime, I was able to vendor it back! Got the Fusion Fire-Core that sexy cleaving one.

Though I did get a non-tier and tier chest token, so I DEd the non-tier one. Coulda saved the tier for tank spec, but I don't plan on filling that out anytime so that's fine.

Still need a weapon though...

Did get 1 one-hander from ToT, but I need another at least, if not a 2H.

I swear the rarest epic from Timeless Isle is the necklace. I think I only saw it drop twice on 2 different characters and i saw 100 of those TI epics.

Yeah, forgot to mention the neck in there as well. Did get one across two characters so far - the second hasn't fully looted all the chests yet either.

Boogdud

Bwahaha. 4 bosses in first wing of SoO, 4 pieces of loot. So good. Even got a trinket, and since I bought my other one late last night right before downtime, I was able to vendor it back! Got the Fusion Fire-Core that sexy cleaving one.

I've run every wing of SoO every week they've been out and used coins exclusively for at least 6 weeks on bosses with trinkets, on my rogue.

...I'm still using my pvp trinkets.

I've geared up a hunter with a full set + rings + trinkets, and another warlock with the same. The rogue was my first 90, he just has the absolute worst luck in the world.

I had a friend that told me that coin rolls increased your luck on rolls exponentially for gear. Then I had 3 weeks in a row I used all 3 coins consecutively and got a chest/essence + gold on the secondary roll on all. So yeah, that theory is crap.

Though last week i broke that 3+ week rut with a piece of gear! The bracers I already have had drop 3 times already. /ugh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the addon that shows the bar of auras fading? I don't mean the cooldown one, but the one where it'll show you how long you have left on bloodlust, sword and board, shield block, etc

Fjordson

Ugh. Got the new patch after the servers went up this morning and now WoW is performing really oddly. Like I'm getting weird stuttering with everything. Hell, even my legendary cloak proc causes the game to lag for a few seconds. Really frustrating because I have no clue what would be causing it. Haven't changed anything since last night.

Jag

Ugh. Got the new patch after the servers went up this morning and now WoW is performing really oddly. Like I'm getting weird stuttering with everything. Hell, even my legendary cloak proc causes the game to lag for a few seconds. Really frustrating because I have no clue what would be causing it. Haven't changed anything since last night.

People were complaining about this in raid to the point where they were dying so it's not only you.

Fjordson

People were complaining about this in raid to the point where they were dying so it's not only you.
Wow, really? I wonder what it could be.

It's the weirdest thing. Almost seems like it happens whenever I use an instant-cast ability. And like I said, even when my legendary cloak procs I start to get it.

Sucks big time because even though the stutters are small, it's frequent enough to make the game almost unplayable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I 'tanked' the watery part of SoO today. Sub ilevel 500 in flex, so I got carried by my guild most of the way. Got new wrists and a helm though. Still rocking a blue MH and trinket.

Rokam

So been going around to my various characters consolidating all my heirlooms to one character. Found 38 stacks of Ghost Iron Bars and 53 Living Steel on a bank alt, $_$. Also, god damn if you don't get on Stormrage before 6, you're fucked. And with Vodka moving there I assume the queues will only get better! Never logging out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom