• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
For those that are in the beta, how is the horde starting zone on drenor. The pics of the alliance zone (SMV) look soo much cooler. is it actually better in person?
Frostfire Ridge has an alright questing experience, but I personally think Shadowmoon Valley is better. Frostfire Ridge is quite fun at lvl 100 though, has a nice goren (the virmen of Draenor) area.

Magnus

Character models look really nice in-person, so to speak. On my screen in the select screen. Haha.

Is everything down? Does beta server schedule match live WoW's?

M.D

Am I missing something with this quest?

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32002/a-worthy-challenge-xin-the-weaponmaster

I took this quest, not this particular one because it seems the quest giver gives a different each day but it doesn't matter

I set the dungeon difficulty to to Challenge Mode, but it doesn't say I completed the quest
I thought maybe you also need the complete the quests given in the dungeon, but it doesn't make sense if you already did this dungeon before taking this quest

Also, please tell me how do you get to Isle of Thunder ;(

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Character models look really nice in-person, so to speak. On my screen in the select screen. Haha.

Is everything down? Does beta server schedule match live WoW's?
No, the servers are up. Make sure you have downloaded the latest build (18837) and that you are logging in using the account that is not your normal (usually WOW1). Delete Config.wtf also to be sure that is not causing any problems.

On another note, I noticed something peculiar with the character selection screen in build 18837:

weirdtextures15jaf.png

Image in 1920x1080 only for clarity purposes.

The character selection screen consists of a flat background image (Stormwind canals in the above example), some objects (trees, birds, rocks etc.), particle effects (depends on race, orc has smoke) and the component (player) of course. In this build, the background image has been reduced to a blurry mess. I don't care the slightest, I just find it interesting since it wasn't like that in previous builds. And I havent changed any settings dramatically. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1up

Am I missing something with this quest?

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32002/a-worthy-challenge-xin-the-weaponmaster

I took this quest, not this particular one because it seems the quest giver gives a different each day but it doesn't matter

I set the dungeon difficulty to to Challenge Mode, but it doesn't say I completed the quest
I thought maybe you also need the complete the quests given in the dungeon, but it doesn't make sense if you already did this dungeon before taking this quest

Also, please tell me how do you get to Isle of Thunder ;(

Did you clear the dungeon in Heroic already before doing challenge mode?

Also, go to the shadowpan area of Townlong Steppes and look for the blood elf (if you are horde) they will start you off to getting to the isle of thunder.

lazygecko

Rösti;129173921 said:
The character selection screen consists of a flat background image (Stormwind canals in the above example), some objects (trees, birds, rocks etc.), particle effects (depends on race, orc has smoke) and the component (player) of course. In this build, the background image has been reduced to a blurry mess. I don't care the slightest, I just find it interesting since it wasn't like that in previous builds. And I havent changed any settings dramatically. Is anyone else experiencing this?

It's been like that since vanilla.

Another mind-blowing trick: Those stacks of cannonballs you see in some places, like by the cannon in Darkmoon Faire? Those are just shaded 2D octagon sprites.

M.D

Did you clear the dungeon in Heroic already before doing challenge mode?

Also, go to the shadowpan area of Townlong Steppes and look for the blood elf (if you are horde) they will start you off to getting to the isle of thunder.

Pretty sure I did

Looking at the comments on wowhead, people say you need to get a group and physically go to the entrance and complete it that way

Seems weird that Blizzard wouldn't specify that

About Isle of Thunder - I was already at Townlong Steppes at the alliance camp, people said there will be a portal there but there wasn't one

Then I read you need to complete a scenario to get there initially and then the portal will show up

Does the quest you're talking about lead to the that scenario?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's been like that since vanilla.

Another mind-blowing trick: Those stacks of cannonballs you see in some places, like by the cannon in Darkmoon Faire? Those are just shaded 2D octagon sprites.
It's not been this severe, not on retail nor in previous beta builds. And yeah, there are lots of nifty tricks in use. Those spinning water spheres in Siege of Orgrimmar use the same technique as you describe I believe.

1up

Pretty sure I did

Looking at the comments on wowhead, people say you need to get a group and physically go to the entrance and complete it that way

Seems weird that Blizzard wouldn't specify that

About Isle of Thunder - I was already at Townlong Steppes at the alliance camp, people said there will be a portal there but there wasn't one

Then I read you need to complete a scenario to get there initially and then the portal will show up

Does the quest you're talking about lead to the that scenario?

Yes, the quest initiates that scenario. Also I think you are misunderstanding Challenge modes.

You cannot queue for challenge modes. Challenge modes are specifically timed run through the dungeons for timed medals. You will need to assemble a group of 4 other people and run to the dungeon yourself.

Here's a rundown for that instance.

M.D

Yes, the quest initiates that scenario. Also I think you are misunderstanding Challenge modes.

You cannot queue for challenge modes. Challenge modes are specifically timed run through the dungeons for timed medals. You will need to assemble a group of 4 other people and run to the dungeon yourself.

Here's a rundown for that instance.

I wasn't even familiar with Challenge Mode till I took this quest ;p
What is the point of challenge mode setting in then dungeon difficulty then?

Also, finally got to Isle of Thunder, thanks for the tip!

1up

Also, finally got to Isle of Thunder, thanks for the tip!

You get seperate rewards for doing Challenge modes. For all bronze you get a title, all silver you get a mount, and all gold you get a set of specific transmog gear.

Here is all the armors.

Also, all of this stuff is going away once 6.0 comes out.

ampere

You have to set the difficulty to Challenge Mode and then fly to the dungeon and zone in that way. If you leave it set to Heroic and fly to it, it won't be on Challenge Mode difficulty.

Did they say why they're taking away CM? Are they adding one in for WoD?

They're removing the 9 currently in game, because the difficulty would be vastly different with the game system changes and leveling to 100. Though a lot has changed via class changes over the expac, but w/e I guess.

They are adding Challenge Mode dungeon versions of all new dungeons in Warlords. 8 I think. Completing them gives rewards including a title, mount, transmog weapon and teleport spells. Holding a realm best time for a dungeon will give a temporary title until someone beats your time.

Lack of beta aside, today was a pretty good WoW day so far. Got my Gorehowl (+Netherpace Abyssal pet finally) and an Orb of the Sin'dorei.

No White Hawkstrider though.

Wunder

they are taking away the old ones, i imagine they will be adding a new WoD version sooner or later

You have to set the difficulty to Challenge Mode and then fly to the dungeon and zone in that way. If you leave it set to Heroic and fly to it, it won't be on Challenge Mode difficulty.

They're removing the 9 currently in game, because the difficulty would be vastly different with the game system changes and leveling to 100. Though a lot has changed via class changes over the expac, but w/e I guess.

They are adding Challenge Mode dungeon versions of all new dungeons in Warlords. 8 I think. Completing them gives rewards including a title, mount, transmog weapon and teleport spells. Holding a realm best time for a dungeon will give a temporary title until someone beats your time.

Thanks, would the rewards be the same?

Savitar

Exalted with the Tillers, got my two goats.
Exalted with the Order of the Serpent and got my three serpent mounts.

AND

I got an invite to the beta.

Now if only I wouldn't get that error when trying to patch it and keeps telling me to delete my cache.

Magnus

Copied my human male paladin over to the beta.

What a fucking disappointment.

This isn't my character's face. It's unrecognizable, even if it's higher quality.

Sucks. :(

M.D

You get seperate rewards for doing Challenge modes. For all bronze you get a title, all silver you get a mount, and all gold you get a set of specific transmog gear.

Here is all the armors.

Also, all of this stuff is going away once 6.0 comes out.

Good to know. Thanks!

On another note, I just went from friendly (pretty to exalted with the black prince farming rep on Isle of Thunder in one sitting ;p

Magnus

Ran a dungeon as a shadow priest. Cool new environments and boss models. Really got a case of the same old same olds goin' on, which somehow I didn't get in Pandaria.

I'm sure the excitement will kick in for real on Live. It just doesn't have the same impact to me unless I know it's going to count for the main game, lol.

Which is why I can never bring myself to level in a beta, knowing it'll all get wiped.

Very cool to see the new models and talents, though.

RPGCrazied

Copied my human male paladin over to the beta.

What a fucking disappointment.

This isn't my character's face. It's unrecognizable, even if it's higher quality.

Sucks. :(

Same thing happened to my night elf male, sure hope they offer free recustomazations or I'll be pretty steamed.

Ultratech

I'm never getting an invite to Beta and at this rate, I don't even care.

I'll just mess with all that stuff once it hits live.

Grab yourself a Fire Watcher's Oath and a 90 opposite faction friend. Get your friend to a graveyard and nekkid. Just kill him over and over while he spirit rezzes. With Fire Watchers Oath they don't get the debuff like the censure.

There's also another way depending on your server...

Kill bots outside Halls of Lightning w/Fire Watcher's Oath; sadly this didn't work for me since most of the bots were Horde Druids. :(

Hope they change blackwing lair and the boss with the eggs, pretty much impossible to solo. The chess even in Karazhan needs changing for solo play too.

You talking about the old 60 raid? That's easy to solo. I ran BWL for weeks to farm the pets to sell awhile back.

The chess event in Kara is frustrating but I got a pretty good success rate running that for the pets as well. It'd be lovely to be able to bypass it, though.

vocab

Hope they change blackwing lair and the boss with the eggs, pretty much impossible to solo. The chess even in Karazhan needs changing for solo play too.

Both have been soloable for quite some time. Razoregore takes zero effort. Just don't fireball volley, and clear the adds beating on you after the first MC.

So they'll let 86+ solo-queue for DS LFR now in CoT. Does that mean that we can do it solo (and only solo) or that we'll be placed in a queue with other folks. Still need to get my tier leggings and some transmog feet from there. =/

CassSept

Razorgore is easily soloable by a rogue, it took me few tries to nail the encounter first time but once you get him down once it's very easy.

Damn that loading screen is ugly.

Kintaco

Got my beta invite today. I really want to check out how my toons looks, the wowhead profiler doesn't give me much hope. But I really don't want to spoil myself. Hmm what to do?

Artanisix

Playing PTR:

Frost DK and Unholy DK feel good
Feral Druid and Guardian Druid feel good
Enhancement Shaman feels good

Warrior feels baaaaaaaad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom