• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well after playing destiny a lot the pat week, Metzen writing looks like fucking tolkien.

Skab

The writing was so bloody cliche :lol
I swear Metzen has a phrase book that he just throws darts at for dialogue.

Metzen doesn't write the dialogue, nor is he the only writer/person in charge of story at Blizzard.

I wish people would stop putting the blame on him for that shit.

I think we want it for the Ally characters (Hpriest/Lock/Mage). They're the toons we've been playing so we're probably more comfortable with them then our older toons. We were thinking Horde cause I read BM Monks were great at CM.

Shoot I haven't been on to add you, I'll do it when I'm back from work today, but that sounds fine to me.

Tacitus_

Metzen doesn't write the dialogue, nor is he the only writer/person in charge of story at Blizzard.

I wish people would stop putting the blame on him for that shit.

The thing is, quest dialogue is generally pretty good. But all the cinematics are cliche riddled piles of tropes.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The thing is, quest dialogue is generally pretty good. But all the cinematics are cliche riddled piles of tropes.

Warcraft has never really been considered by anybody to be 'high-brow' though has it? It's unabashed action-y metal in-your-face crazyness isn't it?

TheYanger

Ok, my thoughts so far after playing again after 2 years;

- What did they do to Scarlet Monastery? :( They have ruined it. I want the classic one back
- AH sucks now. Everything is stupidly overpriced. Even the lowbie crap.
- Making gold is easier. That is cool

- Alliance still sucks at BGs. Some things never change
- LFG means I don't have to quest anymore. Which is cool as well since I'm resto
- I miss talent trees :(

First two bolded go hand in hand, and frankly....gold hasn't inflated much in 2 years. It was way worse the rest of the game's time in terms of inflation.

Last one is just objectively wrong, sorry :(

M.D

Do we know how the stat changes are going to work yet? They decided to remove some stat, but what happens to existing gear?

Tacitus_

Warcraft has never really been considered by anybody to be 'high-brow' though has it? It's unabashed action-y metal in-your-face crazyness isn't it?

Yeah, it has never been high brow. But there is a difference between the nonsense in the cinematics ("what must we sacrifice?"- "Everything", "You made me what I am!" - "You forged your destiny yourself!") and the bombastic, but at least somewhat sensible dialogue found in the rest of the game.
The grunts do fine work but Metzen is gonna Metzen for the flashy stuff is my gut feeling.

Do we know how the stat changes are going to work yet? They decided to remove some stat, but what happens to existing gear?

Removed stats are converted to non-removed stats.

Wunder

Started RAF with my friend today, and although I've done it before, it was during the BC or Wrath days, where it was only 1-60 and the exp hadn't been squished as much as it has been. Holy fuck you level really fast. We hit 40 in a couple hours. One problem is gear though, while I can gear up with heirlooms and stay relevant stats-wise, he can't, and that means I can't use the extra EXP or else I'd just outlevel him, so getting by with instances and entry zone quest gear is pretty rough, and I imagine once we hit Northrend or Cata we'll be horribly geared.

TheYanger

Started RAF with my friend today, and although I've done it before, it was during the BC or Wrath days, where it was only 1-60 and the exp hadn't been squished as much as it has been. Holy fuck you level really fast. We hit 40 in a couple hours. One problem is gear though, while I can gear up with heirlooms and stay relevant stats-wise, he can't, and that means I can't use the extra EXP or else I'd just outlevel him, so getting by with instances and entry zone quest gear is pretty rough, and I imagine once we hit Northrend or Cata we'll be horribly geared.

It'll slow down enough and you'll get upgrades from in the dungeons themselves. You might want to AH and fill in a few slots but that's just northrend which is still easy. In Cata you can actually go to Hyjal and hit up a vendor RIGHT where you come in that will sell you a set of like starter greens in every slot. You'll need to do a few quests to get the ilevel to queue at that point too.

Wunder

It'll slow down enough and you'll get upgrades from in the dungeons themselves. You might want to AH and fill in a few slots but that's just northrend which is still easy. In Cata you can actually go to Hyjal and hit up a vendor RIGHT where you come in that will sell you a set of like starter greens in every slot. You'll need to do a few quests to get the ilevel to queue at that point too.

Brilliant, thanks mate! I was still using the starter gloves from the Blood Elf zone up until 35!

TheYanger

Brilliant, thanks mate! I was still using the starter gloves from the Blood Elf zone up until 35!

I'm not sure if you can keep doing that throughout cata, but it should at least keep you going.

Once you guys get to Mists there are vendors in each zone that sell level appropriate (low end) green gear just like Hyjal, so it's a breeze to skip around and not worry about items.

Fjordson

83 on my lock! The levels are definitely starting to come a bit slower, but I'll push through.

Deepholm so far is interesting, but eh, I dunno. I'm in the minority in that I actually think I prefer Vashj'ir.

TheYanger

83 on my lock! The levels are definitely starting to come a bit slower, but I'll push through.

Deepholm so far is interesting, but eh, I dunno. I'm in the minority in that I actually think I prefer Vashj'ir.

I'm pretty sure the only reason people say they don't like Vashj'r is because of swimming and because it's the cool thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the players in this game haven't gone through the zone beyond unlocking the rep vendor. It's a really awesome questing experience.

Fjordson

I'm pretty sure the only reason people say they don't like Vashj'r is because of swimming and because it's the cool thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the players in this game haven't gone through the zone beyond unlocking the rep vendor. It's a really awesome questing experience.
Totally agreed. I loved every bit of it.

Vash is good, but it's the scripted linearity that kills it for repeat playthroughs. Whereas you can skip around a bit in Hyjal.
Ah, maybe that is it. I've only been through the zone twice.

Also, I just realized Deepholm technically says 82-83 on the map. Is there a zone for 83-84 that I'm somehow forgetting? Or should I just finish out Deepholm for 84?

Wunder

I'm not sure if you can keep doing that throughout cata, but it should at least keep you going.

Once you guys get to Mists there are vendors in each zone that sell level appropriate (low end) green gear just like Hyjal, so it's a breeze to skip around and not worry about items.

I think RAF ends at 85 anyway so Mists should be fine once we get started in Jade.

Totally agreed. I loved every bit of it.

Ah, maybe that is it. I've only been through the zone twice.

Also, I just realized Deepholm technically says 82-83 on the map. Is there a zone for 83-84 that I'm somehow forgetting? Or should I just finish out Deepholm for 84?

Uldum?

I have bad memories of how badly bugged the zone was in cata beta. The hate is overblown for sure.

TheYanger

I have bad memories of how badly bugged the zone was in cata beta. The hate is overblown for sure.

I never had a lot of problems there, minor stuff. I was in Cata from the first day of Alpha before Vahsj'r even had a quest chain (and only half of Hyjal was in).

I disagree that it's more linear either, in Hyjal you get to these tiny clumps of nonlinearity, but the overall zone progression is completely linear. Like "Oh, I can do the raven people hub or the turtle god hub' but you have to do them both to progress anyway. Pandaria is like that fully realized, where every hub is just self contained (with breadcrumbs) and you can do them all completely seperately.

ampere

The quests are great and people owe it to themselves to do the zone loremaster achieve once, but the swimming and underwater combat is a bit awkward.

It also gets the hate from the general "disjointed Cataclysm zones" mentality. Which is understandable

Westlo

I hope Blizz fix this shit.

Tz1GVBi.jpg

My BE Warrior uses Vanguard Plate (well I used Nether Protector's chest quest reward since Horde can cheat that way) in her transmog and my Human Female uses Lofty...

gonna have to go with new transmog outfits if it's going to look as ass as that.... :(

Westlo

If the new character models mean plate-kinis are ruined, then nothing of value will be lost.

That new face is a total downgrade too atm :(

Probably only effects Lofty/Glorious plate-kini, doubt it changes Jade and the other variations. Saw a post that said Enchanted Thorium BP didn't look as sharp as it does live or something, guess that applies to Hyperion/Exalted etc as well.

The AH market for transmoggable greens will crash.

Time to sell!

ah_zps97a09329.png

EDIT - And you gotta think, what else have they fucked up.

Ultratech

In fairness, the zone still has a number of bugs.

I remember having to do the last Horde quest there three times because it kept bugging out halfway through, preventing progress.

I remember Uldum having some good quests. Plenty of harrison jones stuff, which is always entertaining.

As well as a quest where you kill over a thousand Gnomes with a giant fiery ball of death.

antonz

So....nothing new for brewfest this year?

They do have a ton of new stuff they made that's been datamined but I guess the late launch means we miss out on all the new stuff until next year. Which is hilarious because it was all ilvl 600 stuff that will be useless next year.

See the same thing happening for Halloween too. lots of new stuff but all meant for level 100

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They do have a ton of new stuff they made that's been datamined but I guess the late launch means we miss out on all the new stuff until next year. Which is hilarious because it was all ilvl 600 stuff that will be useless next year.

See the same thing happening for Halloween too. lots of new stuff but all meant for level 100

It shouldn't be too hard to up the ilevel on the stuff and make it relevant. That's what they've done for the horsemans blade and helmet, and all the brewfest weapons.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nagrand... sigh...

Karl Hawk

Banned
So can someone tell me what are the benefits of using transmog? I've read about them on other sites, but it's still a confusing system to me.

Anyways, I hope I manage to get to level 60 before WoD's release so I can pre-purchase the expansion and boost myself to 90 (Why? I don't feel like leveling to 90 through the hard way. Besides, by the time I get to 60, I got most of the skills and talents I need for my paladin). Right now, I'm level 27, but I guess it all depends on how much time I can play to get to 60.

M.D

Yeah, it has never been high brow. But there is a difference between the nonsense in the cinematics ("what must we sacrifice?"- "Everything", "You made me what I am!" - "You forged your destiny yourself!") and the bombastic, but at least somewhat sensible dialogue found in the rest of the game.
The grunts do fine work but Metzen is gonna Metzen for the flashy stuff is my gut feeling.

Removed stats are converted to non-removed stats.

Do we know what each stat converts into or will it be random?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom