• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

So can someone tell me what are the benefits of using transmog? I've read about them on other sites, but it's still a confusing system to me.

Anyways, I hope I manage to get to level 60 before WoD's release so I can pre-purchase the expansion and boost myself to 90 (Why? I don't feel like leveling to 90 through the hard way. Besides, by the time I get to 60, I got most of the skills and talents I need for my paladin). Right now, I'm level 27, but I guess it all depends on how much time I can play to get to 60.
Transmog is simply altering the appearance of a piece of armor or weapon to look like a different piece of armor or weapon. For years WoW didn't have that, so if you didn't like how a piece of armor or weapon looked, but you had to use it because it was really good, then you were shit outta luck. It's purely cosmetic. Not really much point to it until you're max level when you aren't constantly getting new gear.

I'll just leave this here....
Oh snap, congrats mang!

No, no mount for me this kill, but decent chance at next. Besides the two people that got one and the raid leader, pretty sure I'm the most senior raider left on the team since its inception (we've had a fair bit of turnover). Though it might go to the resto druid that's been on the bench due to comp stacking (2 Disc priests/2 Resto Shams) + whoever if not me. I don't know for sure. Should get one by the third kill though almost certainly.

And though it's hard to track since I'm part of such a large guild with teams that had already killed H Garrosh, pretty sure we made US top 400, West ~top 1000. On a 6 hour raid week no less.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hm, if I buy the digital CE, do I still get the Hearthstone card back (and all the other good stuff like D3 banner, SC2 portraits, etc)?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Alright guys, what are my odds in getting to level 60 before WoD releases? I'd like to get the chance to pre-purchase the expansion and boost myself to 90 and my professions cause I don't feel like grinding my professions all the way to the cap.

And in case you ask, my average WoW playtime is 3-4 hours.

Carlow

Alright guys, what are my odds in getting to level 60 before WoD releases? I'd like to get the chance to pre-purchase the expansion and boost myself to 90 and my professions cause I don't feel like grinding my professions all the way to the cap.

would be surpised if you didn't get to 60 before WoD, got a hunter to 60 with 22 hours /played (with heirlooms mind)

did it for the same reason too, wanted prof boost :D

Wunder

3-4 hours a week? You should be OK, I think. Maybe not 6.0.2, but you should have plenty of time to hit 60 and then boost. You can crank out a good 4-5 levels with your playtime even playing at not the world's fastest pace i.e. reading quests, getting lost, etc

Karl Hawk

Banned
would be surpised if you didn't get to 60 before WoD, got a hunter to 60 with 22 hours /played (with heirlooms mind)

did it for the same reason too, wanted prof boost :D

From what I've read now, I buy heirlooms using Justice Points (Which is earned by completing dungeons and scenarios). I'd like to know at which level should I be able to earn Justice Points since I doubt I can earn them at my current level (I'm level 27 now), though I might be wrong and I already earned some but just didn't know. ._.

3-4 hours a week? You should be OK, I think. Maybe not 6.0.2, but you should have plenty of time to hit 60 and then boost. You can crank out a good 4-5 levels with your playtime even playing at not the world's fastest pace i.e. reading quests, getting lost, etc

3-4 hours a day, actually. It all depends on my free time, though. My playtime is a bit higher on the weekends.

Kind of a dumb question, but where can I check my Justice/Valor points while playing the game? I'd like to keep an eye on them without resorting to Battle.net WoW forums. Or do I have to install UI add-on to do that?

Wunder

From what I've read now, I buy heirlooms using Justice Points (Which is earned by completing dungeons and scenarios). I'd like to know at which level should I be able to earn Justice Points since I doubt I can earn them at my current level (I'm level 27 now), though I might be wrong and I already earned some but just didn't know. ._.

3-4 hours a day, actually. It all depends on my free time, though. My playtime is a bit higher on the weekends.

Kind of a dumb question, but where can I check my Justice/Valor points while playing the game? I'd like to keep an eye on them without resorting to Battle.net WoW forums.

Oh, yeah you should be totally fine. Justice Points are earned by completing dungeons, yes, but you only really start getting them in a substantial quantity around the current expansion level, so 85 to 90. Here's a good table to see where you can get them. If you're boosting from 60 to 90, you won't be able to earn any JP unfortunately, and even if you were earning them through Burning Crusade dungeons, it'd take absolutely forever to even get one item.

You can keep an eye on your Justice points through the 'Currency' tab, off the top of my head, I believe you can access them through a tab where you open up your character sheet (C) or Reputations (U).

edit: Yeah, just checked and that's right, if you're 27 and have mainly been questing and doing dungeons, you may not even have the tab 'unlocked' yet, because it's mainly used to store things like Justice/Valor Points, however if you've done PvP or any world events, Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets are there as well, along with any Honor points you may have earned.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Oh, yeah you should be totally fine. Justice Points are earned by completing dungeons, yes, but you only really start getting them in a substantial quantity around the current expansion level, so 85 to 90. Here's a good table to see where you can get them. If you're boosting from 60 to 90, you won't be able to earn any JP unfortunately, and even if you were earning them through Burning Crusade dungeons, it'd take absolutely forever to even get one item.

You can keep an eye on your Justice points through the 'Currency' tab, off the top of my head, I believe you can access them through a tab where you open up your character sheet (C) or Reputations (U).

edit: Yeah, just checked and that's right, if you're 27 and have mainly been questing and doing dungeons, you may not even have the tab 'unlocked' yet, because it's mainly used to store things like Justice/Valor Points, however if you've done PvP or any world events, Darkmoon Faire Prize Tickets are there as well, along with any Honor points you may have earned.

So I'm shit outta luck of JP's if I boost myself to 90? That's a bummer.

Wunder

So I'm shit outta luck of JP's if I boost myself to 90? That's a bummer.

Well no, you'd be able to farm JP with your new 90 by farming Heroics and/or doing various daily quests and such. It's much easier to farm JP as a 90 than a levelling hero from 60-90, to be honest. But, if you wanted to get some heirlooms before you hit 90, then there isn't really a feasible solution for you. Heirlooms are really meant to be a post-90 kind of thing for levelling another toon and speeding up that process.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well no, you'd be able to farm JP with your new 90 by farming Heroics and/or doing various daily quests and such. It's much easier to farm JP as a 90 than a levelling hero from 60-90, to be honest. But, if you wanted to get some heirlooms before you hit 90, then there isn't really a feasible solution for you. Heirlooms are really meant to be a post-90 kind of thing for levelling another toon and speeding up that process.

Ah, I see. To be honest, I'm in no rush to get heirlooms before hitting 90. I'm okay with farming Heoric dungeons and so on to earn JP's once I boost to 90.

lazygecko

Took me a while to figure out that those molten shards that keep appearing for elemental shamans are in fact coming from their new mastery... I thought it was a graphical glitch at first. Visually it's just too annoying and distracting.

M.D

I thought oQueue is awesome until I actually used it for a couple of days

A lot of groups just won't invite you even if you fit their conditions, and when I do get to join it will end in multiple wipes 90% of the time and people leaving

I spent all day playing and I've made zero progress and its really frustrating
I can't raid with my guild either since they are all very well equipped, and last time I joined them I ended up dieing a lot and ended up leaving because I was just screwing them if I stayed

I wish there was some actual well made guide for raids by Blizzard
It seems like a lot of people (like me) don't know what they are doing in most raids, and some advice from people that do know isn't help me when there's chaos all over the screen and I'm starting to panic

Not talking about day 1 guides to a raid obviously, but after six months you could toss in some guidance for new players

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It seems like a lot of people (like me) don't know what they are doing in most raids, and some advice from people that do know isn't help me when there's chaos all over the screen and I'm starting to panic

Not talking about day 1 guides to a raid obviously, but after six months you could toss in some guidance for new players

I don't think this will happen for a myriad of reasons, not the least being that they're trying to move away from easy-to-complete raids and back to hard, super rewarding raids. They want people talking to each other and forming communities again, it keeps people playing and more importantly, paying.

Also; there are a few resources and guides to raid bosses already out there, my favorite is FatbossTV.

Karl Hawk

Banned
With 3-4 hours a day of playtime you could probably still do almost anything in the game before WoD hits. Lol
Haha, yeah. I just wanted to make sure so I don't get lost in some aspects lol.

I don't think this will happen for a myriad of reasons, not the least being that they're trying to move away from easy-to-complete raids and back to hard, super rewarding raids. They want people talking to each other and forming communities again, it keeps people playing and more importantly, paying.

Also; there are a few resources and guides to raid bosses already out there, my favorite is FatbossTV.

WoW raid bosses guide on Youtube? That's nice. Something to keep an eye on once I get to level cap and feel ready to do Raids.

fuzzyset

I thought oQueue is awesome until I actually used it for a couple of days

A lot of groups just won't invite you even if you fit their conditions, and when I do get to join it will end in multiple wipes 90% of the time and people leaving

I spent all day playing and I've made zero progress and its really frustrating
I can't raid with my guild either since they are all very well equipped, and last time I joined them I ended up dieing a lot and ended up leaving because I was just screwing them if I stayed

The Dungeon Journal in-game is pretty extensive. They're streamlining it in WoD into Healer, Tank, DPS categories but now it lists all the abilities you'll see from a boss. Install something like Deadly Boss Mods. It'll inform you on cooldowns of the boss abilities and when the abilities are coming. The Dungeon Journal will tell you what those abilities do. As a healer, DBM will tell me X big raid wide damage ability is coming in 10secs so I can prep big heals to be ready. Or Y single target Tank damage. Etc, etc.

And, never hurts just to ask. In LFR, fights can be easily summarized into 2-3 sentences.

TheYanger

Ah, I see. To be honest, I'm in no rush to get heirlooms before hitting 90. I'm okay with farming Heoric dungeons and so on to earn JP's once I boost to 90.

They're turning into a gold cost in 6.0 anyway.

As far as 'will you get 60'...that's really up to you. It's certainly enough playtime to do it, but most of us here are super veterans of this stuff and can do it REALLY quickly if we want to. It mostly just comes down to efficiency:
Are you spamming dungeons?
If you are, are you a tank?
Are you a healer?
If not, you should be questing hard between queues.
Never do the same dungeon more than once if you can help it, use queue specific when you need to to not outlevel other dungeons, etc.

Even within that confine, how quickly the dungeon goes can rest really heavily on your own shoulders and knowledge of the dungeon if you do tank (which has the fastest queues and by far the most impact on the dungeon, even in terms of DPS these days).

Fularu

Banned
And though it's hard to track since I'm part of such a large guild with teams that had already killed H Garrosh, pretty sure we made US top 400, West ~top 1000. On a 6 hour raid week no less.
6 hours? Since I have no chance of raiding with Vigil (our warriors are just way more experienced/better than me I guess), I wouldn't mind joining some other guild with a light raiding schedule that wouldn't mess with my social/family life :p

If you raid from 10 PM to 1 AM EST it's even better!

*shameless self plug*

Also I always find it funny when I destroy people in heroic gear on the meters in Normal SoO, warriors are easy enough as is, why don't they perform better? :(

Vio-Lence

Banned
Ya I'm looking for a no nonsense raid guild with a 9-12 hour schedule for WOD. Something like serious casual for professional adults. Biding my time on Illidan to find something that would be a good fit.

They're turning into a gold cost in 6.0 anyway.

As far as 'will you get 60'...that's really up to you. It's certainly enough playtime to do it, but most of us here are super veterans of this stuff and can do it REALLY quickly if we want to. It mostly just comes down to efficiency:
Are you spamming dungeons?
If you are, are you a tank?
Are you a healer?
If not, you should be questing hard between queues.
Never do the same dungeon more than once if you can help it, use queue specific when you need to to not outlevel other dungeons, etc.

Even within that confine, how quickly the dungeon goes can rest really heavily on your own shoulders and knowledge of the dungeon if you do tank (which has the fastest queues and by far the most impact on the dungeon, even in terms of DPS these days).

They aren't changing to gold cost any more. Those Vendors are being removed until the Heirloom Collection is done and the only way to get those items will be Dark Moon Tickets / Seals.

Fjordson

They aren't changing to gold cost any more. Those Vendors are being removed until the Heirloom Collection is done and the only way to get those items will be Dark Moon Tickets / Seals.
So for sure it isn't going to be gold? I knew they were taking them away temporarily, but I was hoping it would just be to get their monetary values right for the expansion. Really hope it isn't something weird like the cash shop or something =[

RPGCrazied

Finally got downsampling to work. WoD looks somewhat better now with the resolution increase beyond what my monitor supports.

If you have an nvidia card, you should try it. There is a thread on GAF that tells you how.

When can we expect 6.0 to hit live? I'm talking about the engine and character model upgrades. Usually we get that before expansion launches. Like new class stuff or whatever.

Fjordson

Finally got downsampling to work. WoD looks somewhat better now with the resolution increase beyond what my monitor supports.

If you have an nvidia card, you should try it. There is a thread on GAF that tells you how.

When can we expect 6.0 to hit live? I'm talking about the engine and character model upgrades. Usually we get that before expansion launches. Like new class stuff or whatever.
It'll be soon. Like 3 weeks maybe?

6 hours? Since I have no chance of raiding with Vigil (our warriors are just way more experienced/better than me I guess), I wouldn't mind joining some other guild with a light raiding schedule that wouldn't mess with my social/family life :p

If you raid from 10 PM to 1 AM EST it's even better!

*shameless self plug*

Also I always find it funny when I destroy people in heroic gear on the meters in Normal SoO, warriors are easy enough as is, why don't they perform better? :(

Weekend raid team I'm currently on is 12-3 AM EST Fridays and Saturdays. Though there's a good chance I'm changing teams come WoD. We have two new teams to build up at earlier times and I probably want to raid a bit more so long as my schedule allows it. Great thing about being in such a large guild is there's flexibility so long as you're a solid raider.

http://seraphguild.com/ if interested in checking us out. Lots of recruitment going on between the new stuff, the 10-man increasing roster size for Mythics, and the existing teams. Front page isn't updated with our kill right now though.

The official screenshot is pretty great (especially as an inside joke), though I was DCed during it :(

DnYkZbK.jpg

Milennia

Helped the second group in our guild kill H25 garrosh the other day... got tricks and us 30th garrosh lol wish i could raid with them on that boss in particular every week.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Man, i've been gone for like 6 months, and it seems I see that Hearthsteed mount everywhere on my low lvls characters now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Weekend raid team I'm currently on is 12-3 AM EST Fridays and Saturdays. Though there's a good chance I'm changing teams come WoD. We have two new teams to build up at earlier times and I probably want to raid a bit more so long as my schedule allows it. Great thing about being in such a large guild is there's flexibility so long as you're a solid raider.

http://seraphguild.com/ if interested in checking us out. Lots of recruitment going on between the new stuff, the 10-man increasing roster size for Mythics, and the existing teams. Front page isn't updated with our kill right now though.

The official screenshot is pretty great (especially as an inside joke), though I was DCed during it :(

Grats man!!

My guild has seen P4 only once, and then we kept wiping to being slow in Temple of Jade. :(

Mordeccai

So I just recruited a friend and sent an invite to him horde side. Just now he tells me he actually wants to do alliance. Can he make an ally toon and still get the xp perks? All of my mains are on ally side anyway so this would work out better for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm pretty sure the only reason people say they don't like Vashj'r is because of swimming and because it's the cool thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the players in this game haven't gone through the zone beyond unlocking the rep vendor. It's a really awesome questing experience.

I did it because Hyjal was too busy back then. I didn't really like it. Did Hyjal later on my second character and found it a bit better.

Grats man!!

My guild has seen P4 only once, and then we kept wiping to being slow in Temple of Jade. :(

Jade Serpent is getting it down to a science in terms of who interrupts what and when. If it's 10m it's probably a little harder since you have fewer things to work with, but there's an incredible amount of planning and coordination for a 25m. It's definitely a major stumbling block for many teams though. Once you make it past that the fight is pretty much on cruise control until Phase 3 and 4. Guy actually ended up getting gkicked over fucking up with Malice twice singlehandedly causing a couple of P4 wipes. Drama intensive.

Our kill was actually the last pull of the night and was nailbiting as hell at the end with ~1/3 of the DPS dead before he keeled over. Not my point-of-view, but VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/quasarleginan/c/5161189

I'm the DK (the only one.) My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Haptic/advanced

Maddrical

Started up WoW again after not playing since very early Cataclysm... this game has changed a lot. The majority of my playtime (maybe, 75-80%?) was in Vanilla and early TBC... it's amazing how much has changed. I'm playing a Warrior, level 28 currently, and I couldn't believe you get Mortal Strike at level 10(?)! And all abilities are so incredibly spammable. Are there any decent role playing guilds around on an Australian server? I've never done it but, since I have no friends to play with this time 'round, I'd like to give it a shot.

Acidote

Meh, my guild finally abandoned it's hopes of downing Garrosh HM, not for a lack of progress, but a lack of people. Everyday people was arriving late or not arriving at all. Starting next week, we'll just start transitioning to 25/20.

vocab

If I have to heal another 10 man garrosh on my MW I'm going to throw up. Its shiiiiiiiit. So much effort for so little reward.

Floridian

Hi WoWGAF, Do u guys think it would be a waste of time to get another Legendary cloak on an alternative account that I have? I already have it on my main but I have no idea how relevant it'll be once 6.0/Draenor comes out.

Corsick

So is the 85-90 grind better or worse than 80-85? I've noticed my progress has slowed considerably after hitting 80. Also, is it a bad idea to create a horde character on a grossly imbalanced server with mostly alliance? I'm on a PVE server and was thinking of leveling a horde alt so I can have a horde garrison and character to experience new quests with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom