• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Yeah I just read that too. http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/6833953/blizzard-cancels-titan-next-gen-mmo-pc

Given the rumors about that game... trying to be everything at once, it's probably for the best. Maybe any good ideas they had they can implement in WoW over time. Pretty sure most of the dev team on Titan was already brought back to WoW months ago.

openraid.us or oqueue addon. Usually lots of people down for em

Me too. I'd love to see the art

I have oQueue so I'll keep an eye out, thanks! I think I usually have it set to the Raid filter so I never see 'em.

Kraftwerk

I liked attunements :(

Bcattunement.jpg

Kill_me_now.gif

Karl Hawk

Banned
Kraftwerk: Holy... all that work and grind just to get through some raid bosses in BC? Makes me think how my opinion on WoW would've been if I had played it several years ago or during launch.

I just started playing it few days ago, so my opinion on it as of now is positive. I sure hope my opinion on the game doesn't sour as I play more further.

Fjordson

Big news about Titan. I hope concept art or something leaks one day, would have loved to see what they had so far.

Otherwise, it's probably good news. There are so many mediocre MMO's out there already. If Blizzard felt that Titan would be one of them or that it didn't meet their standards then it's a good thing that they pulled the plug.

I wonder if this means Kaplan and others will be back on WoW. Or if Blizz will go back to the drawing board for something new (something that isn't necessarily a new MMO).

Entropia

No One Remembers
Big news about Titan. I hope concept art or something leaks one day, would have loved to see what they had so far.

Otherwise, it's probably good news. There are so many mediocre MMO's out there already. If Blizzard felt that Titan would be one of them or that it didn't meet their standards then it's a good thing that they pulled the plug.

I wonder if this means Kaplan and others will be back on WoW. Or if Blizz will go back to the drawing board for something new (something that isn't necessarily a new MMO).

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how far along they were when they decided to cancel it. 7 years is a LONG time.

Curious to see where the released resources will end up. Back to WoW? Another new IP? Another new game in an existing franchise?

Fjordson

I thought they scrapped Titan a year or two ago? Or was that just a rumor?
Not canceled. Just shifted some resources off of it, moved some key people back to WoW, and they were seemingly reexamining what the game was. This total cancellation news is definitely new.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yeah, I'm really curious to see how far along they were when they decided to cancel it. 7 years is a LONG time.

Curious to see where the released resources will end up. Back to WoW? Another new IP? Another new game in an existing franchise?
A WoW-in-space expansion so they can use all the assets they created

That interview with Metzen / Morhaime doesn't really read that well for WoW either.

It's basically: "we aren't an MMO company anymore and will chase whatever the FOTM online genre is in the future".

I enjoy Hearthstone as much as the next guy, but I don't see this being a reunion of the old guard type of deal as much as dispersing them to other projects while the same team that's been running WoW runs WoW. Only exception is not habitually fucking up the timing on expansions perhaps.

Fjordson

That interview with Metzen / Morhaime doesn't really read that well for WoW either.

It's basically: "we aren't an MMO company anymore and will chase whatever the FOTM online genre is in the future".

I enjoy Hearthstone as much as the next guy, but I don't see this being a reunion of the old guard type of deal as much as dispersing them to other projects while the same team that's been running WoW runs WoW. Only exception is not habitually fucking up the timing on expansions perhaps.
Well some of the people who were moved off of Titan came back to WoW. Furor has been back since last year and I feel like Rob Pardo had rejoined the WoW team also before he left Blizz, though I could be mistaken.

I'm interested in what Jeff Kaplan does next, though I guess it is more likely he'll be on a new project (if one is started). Dude is Vice President now.

TheYanger

Kraftwerk: Holy... all that work and grind just to get through some raid bosses in BC? Makes me think how my opinion on WoW would've been if I had played it several years ago or during launch.

I just started playing it few days ago, so my opinion on it as of now is positive. I sure hope my opinion on the game doesn't sour as I play more further.

The chart is laid out specifically to make it look as obtuse as possible. It really wasn't bad, it boiled down to:
Do the dungeons, open Karazhan via a short questline.
Do Karazhan, open Gruul's Lair
Do another Questline (In heroic dungeons) open Magtheridon's Lair
Do Gruul's Lair, Open Serpentshrine
Do Magtheridon, open Tempest Keep
Do SSC and TK, open tier 6.

You can even just boil it down further to be:
dungeons -> T4/Heroic Dungeons -> Do T4 solo bosses -> T5 -> T6 IE: The logical progression that already exists.

That was it. The other nonsense is all trivial shit everyone did levelling anyway, such as 'you have to do the caverns of time dungeons in order' which you were going to do anyway.

Karl Hawk

Banned
The chart is laid out specifically to make it look as obtuse as possible. It really wasn't bad, it boiled down to:
Do the dungeons, open Karazhan via a short questline.
Do Karazhan, open Gruul's Lair
Do another Questline (In heroic dungeons) open Magtheridon's Lair
Do Gruul's Lair, Open Serpentshrine
Do Magtheridon, open Tempest Keep
Do SSC and TK, open tier 6.

That was it. The other nonsense is all trivial shit everyone did levelling anyway, such as 'you have to do the caverns of time dungeons in order' which you were going to do anyway.

Lol, got tricked by a chart.

I guess that Raid is still that way or they removed the attunements? I doubt I can give it a try since most people are playing level 90 Raids anyways.

vocab

I guess that Raid is still that way or they removed the attunements? I doubt I can give it a try since most people are playing level 90 Raids anyways.

All gone. I still think theres an attunement for an optional boss in kara though.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I still have all my old crap in my bank. Item to summon an optional boss in BRD, item to enter Onyxia's lair, item to summon Vaelestraz to help with a boss in UBRS, item to douse the runes in Molten Core. Probably a ton more.

Repgnar

Since we're talking about the 'attunement', how was MoP at release for raiding? I played Wrath and TBC for raiding and only played the last two expansions here and there. I enjoyed how TBC's tiered system was, gearing through heroics and other ways then being introduced to Kara and other raids. When I started back up about a month or two ago I had no intentions of PVEing in the current setting but I think that's what i'm going to focus on once WoD comes out. How will the gearing process work and how did it work at the release of MoP?

Kraftwerk

eh, it was still hard. Not everyone could just walktz in BC and even do the 5 mans heroics. It was baffling how so many groups I went with didnt know what CC or LOS was, even after multiple explanations.

Since we're talking about the 'attunement', how was MoP at release for raiding?

Heroic dungeon gear was shit for raiding, you basically had to get some charity epics from reputation vendors, and only Klaxxi could deliver that with any speed as Golden Lotus rep was abysmal until they boosted the gain per daily. You basically had to grovel with the LFR peasantry to have a respectable kit of raiding gear.

It managed to get worse by expansion's end!

M.D

Did part 4 of SoG with my guild and got essence of cursed vanquisher, but my guild mates told me to keep it till I get more of these or get tier items so I won't take some item slot that will be replaced later

What is tier gear exactly? I got one of the gloves this token can grant from the black ox in timeless, and also a chest piece this token grants, but that one is level 540 compared to the 553 on the gloves since it dropped in flex

Are the gloves considerd tiet gear but not the chest?

TheYanger

Since we're talking about the 'attunement', how was MoP at release for raiding? I played Wrath and TBC for raiding and only played the last two expansions here and there. I enjoyed how TBC's tiered system was, gearing through heroics and other ways then being introduced to Kara and other raids. When I started back up about a month or two ago I had no intentions of PVEing in the current setting but I think that's what i'm going to focus on once WoD comes out. How will the gearing process work and how did it work at the release of MoP?

Heroic dungeon gear was shit for raiding, you basically had to get some charity epics from reputation vendors, and only Klaxxi could deliver that with any speed as Golden Lotus rep was abysmal until they boosted the gain per daily. You basically had to grovel with the LFR peasantry to have a respectable kit of raiding gear.

It managed to get worse by expansion's end!

Bullshit.

There are no attunements or anything anymore, you just run the heroics (In WoD challenge mode dailies as well will be a good boost since they CAN give LFR quality gear), the first raid won't open for a couple weeks. If you've got mostly heroic dungeon gear, you're fine to do the first tier of raids. Beyond that, ti's just about how good your team is, some people will do it easily with less gear, some won't.

To say you need LFR gear to raid is preposterous - LFR doesn't even OPEN until after the normal mode has been out, so that actual raiders can carry people who won't bother to learn boss mechanics. This is the standard as long as LFR has existed.

First tier of MoP was excellent.

For perspective my personal timeline based on achievement dates:
9/25 - level 90
10/03 - first 3 bosses dead on normal (It didn't open until a week later).
10/07 - Last 3 bosses dead on normal
10/10 - First heroic boss dead

Nowhere in there was LFR a thing.
Normal mode opened on October 2, 2012. First part of Raid Finder and heroic difficulties opened on October 9, and second part of Raid Finder opened on October 16.[2] Raid Finder difficulty requires an average item level of 460. (From wowpedia)

TheYanger

I quit WoW because of the "Welcome to 90! Welcome to the Vale! Welcome to 500 dailies a day!" shit

Huge misconception that you had to do that shit at all. By the time the golden lotus was able to be exalted it was very likely if you were raiding the epics were shit anyway. Klaxxi was good but also VERY short lived. If you're not in blood legion there's no reason to have cared about it. Not saying I liked it, clearly Blizz knows they fucked up with the dailies though and you certainly had no super compelling reason to do them if you didn't care about mounts and stuff.

vocab

Did part 4 of SoG with my guild and got essence of cursed vanquisher, but my guild mates told me to keep it till I get more of these or get tier items so I won't take some item slot that will be replaced later

What is tier gear exactly? I got one of the gloves this token can grant from the black ox in timeless, and also a chest piece this token grants, but that one is level 540 compared to the 553 on the gloves since it dropped in flex

Are the gloves considerd tiet gear but not the chest?

Tier is the set piece for that raid/raids. It consists of helm, shoulders, chest, gloves, pants. No reason to get all 5 unless it's an upgrade. You want to get your bonuses first and foremost (unless they suck).

I'm assuming you got a flex cursed vanquisher. Just use it for an upgrade to fill in for set bonus or whatever you need. No reason to sit on it.

Don't replace your normal tier gloves that you got. you want higher ilvl gear no matter what unless you need a setbonus, and some times you have to weigh the bonus versus the stats, but it's not that important in flex.

LOL. Person from a 10m 14/14H guild moving to Mythics attempted to try and poach me today. I shrugged them off quite quickly (perhaps they could have done a better job at recruiting). Don't think I've ever had that happen to me before, kinda feels nice.

But I guess when you've made it to 14/14H you're desirable.

In other news, finished Dominance Offensive rep today which was my 60th rep, so I've got "The Beloved" title (which I doubt I'll use) now. Fun little questline with all of that.

Boogdud

Not really, that chart was just one of the many ball-mashingly fun attunements. There were many more terrible mechanics at the time, courtesy of tigole.

If you played wow at the time you probably would have quit just like most other people. There's a reason most folks that play wow now can't imagine this stuff. It's because they never had to experience it in the original game/expac.

vocab

I guess I should mention that I was unguilded at the start of Mists, and I needed LFR/reputation/Sha of Anger gear to be taken seriously by 'real raiders' since blues meant you were instantly ignored.

And by 'got worse' I mean the requirements to get pugged got worse.

Most of the catchup mechanics were fairly bad outside of ToT valor vendor. It also doesn't help the ilvl jump makes you seem more weaker than you actually are. I hope people run flex and shit for older content more in WoD so we don't have such a huge gear gap as before.

Well never having new 5-man dungeons in a patch certainly didn't help in Mists.

Throne of Thunder could've hosted some great 5-mans, either with 5.2 or in 5.3.

Instead they used LFR as a gearing stepping stone which was in hindsight a huge mistake. Thankfully they seem to be fixing this for WoD. That's the gist without prattling too much on about it.

In other news, graphics card may be dying. Still have to test some drivers and see if that fixes it, but otherwise I'm afraid it has just pooped out. Will know more tomorrow as I wasn't ready to take it out and see if something melted like in this one forum post I saw of someone with a similar issue or if it's extremely dusty or something. But yeah, currently out of commission for raiding until that gets fixed :/

TheYanger

Not really, that chart was just one of the many ball-mashingly fun attunements. There were many more terrible mechanics at the time, courtesy of tigole.

If you played wow at the time you probably would have quit just like most other people. There's a reason most folks that play wow now can't imagine this stuff. It's because they never had to experience it in the original game/expac.

"most other people"...you realize throughout the entire period you're talking about the game was growing, not shrinking right?

I'm not saying I want attunements back, but let's not have some revisionist history here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Attunements drove people crazy. BC content in general was brutal and it made recruiting for guilds a bit of a pain.

That content was fun though, don't get me wrong, but they moved on for a reason.

iirate

Attunements drove people crazy. BC content in general was brutal and it made recruiting for guilds a bit of a pain.

That content was fun though, don't get me wrong, but they moved on for a reason.

I don't doubt that some guilds had recruitment issues due to attunement, but speaking as an officer and eventual GM of a top 100 US TBC raiding guild, we never had what I'd really consider to be a lot of trouble finding what we needed. We had enough good warlocks to kill Magtheridon before the first of his many nerfs. We had an army of resto shamans for chain bloodlust, and generally good ratios of everything else we wanted.

Also, I feel like gear was less important in some ways back then(especially for healers). Getting an alt or new recruit attuned and geared was rarely a challenge.

That being said, that's the only expansion in which I've ever run a guild(except at the very start of Wrath, but that was more of a friends/family deal).

Wunder

Instead they used LFR as a gearing stepping stone which was in hindsight a huge mistake. Thankfully they seem to be fixing this for WoD. That's the gist without prattling too much on about it.

I thought the changes to LFR and Flex/Normal in WoD were so that LFR was more of a stepping stone towards getting people into Normal? I can't find it for some reason but I was under the impression there was going to be another step into introducing a way to find a group for Normal? Like an integrated oQueue/Openraid? Did I just misread that somewhere?

Boogdud

"most other people"...you realize throughout the entire period you're talking about the game was growing, not shrinking right?

I'm not saying I want attunements back, but let's not have some revisionist history here.

I was referring to the 'most people' that started in vanilla/tbc are no longer playing now. Probably worded poorly.

But even at that time, the end of tbc was when most of the people I know quit the game. People eventually tired of the requirements (not just the attunement bs, etc.) and the 25-10m changes. Raiding at that time really did take workforce levels of dedication to compete. I can't blame anyone for quitting. I'm kind of thankful because the wow of today wouldn't exist without people jumping ship and only 5% of the population getting to see all of the good content. So I suppose it was a pretty positive thing. Though the move to the new 'accessible' version of wow might have had a lot to do with the coincidental move of Kaplan to the Titan team right at the same time.

So I'm back after six months.

People were in trade asking for 570 something item level for pugging folks for normal Garrosh. When we beat him in 25s, nobody was above 564. (I'm currently sitting at 562)

Apparently I can upgrade all of my gear four times now.

Outside of that, everything seems about the same. Hopefully, I can get in a Garrosh run at some point. I'd like a heirloom weapon for WoD.

Well you can get 570 in mostly all normal gear with most of it upgraded. Piece or two from flex, piece or two warforged or from Ordos. It's what my lock sits at.

Shouldn't have toooo much trouble finding a group at 560ish though if you have the achieve. High ilvl requirements in PUGs are always to buffer stupid - easier to carry a dumbass (and less likely they're a dumbass in the first place) with better gear than a dumbass in shitty gear. It's not worth the risk or time to take lesser geared players that you don't know, especially if they haven't cleared the content. But that's PUGs for you in general, especially a year into the same patch.

Well you can get 570 in mostly all normal gear with most of it upgraded. Piece or two from flex, piece or two warforged or from Ordos. It's what my lock sits at.

Shouldn't have toooo much trouble finding a group at 560ish though if you have the achieve. High ilvl requirements in PUGs are always to buffer stupid - easier to carry a dumbass (and less likely they're a dumbass in the first place) with better gear than a dumbass in shitty gear. It's not worth the risk or time to take lesser geared players that you don't know, especially if they haven't cleared the content. But that's PUGs for you in general, especially a year into the same patch.

Yeah.

I wouldn't normally pug anything outside of a heroic scenario, but unfortunately my guild exploded while I was gone.

Ah well. Time to grind that valor!

CassSept

I was referring to the 'most people' that started in vanilla/tbc are no longer playing now. Probably worded poorly.

But even at that time, the end of tbc was when most of the people I know quit the game. People eventually tired of the requirements (not just the attunement bs, etc.) and the 25-10m changes. Raiding at that time really did take workforce levels of dedication to compete. I can't blame anyone for quitting. I'm kind of thankful because the wow of today wouldn't exist without people jumping ship and only 5% of the population getting to see all of the good content. So I suppose it was a pretty positive thing. Though the move to the new 'accessible' version of wow might have had a lot to do with the coincidental move of Kaplan to the Titan team right at the same time.

2.4 which ran for the last half year of the expansion cycle trashed all the requirements, took down all attunements (I managed to get nearly everything before that, yay!) and introduced the concept of legitimately good free epix with decent Badges of Justice gear and good drops from MGT heroic. Tail end of TBC was actually when the whole process of appealing to greater crowd started and I believe the first time when an entire tier was made irrelevant (a lot of people skipped T5 since first half of T6 was piss-easy and T6 guilds could recruit people straight from Kara and gear them up). And the rise of 5/6 SSC 3/4TK 4/5 MH 4/9 BT guilds.

M.D

Tier is the set piece for that raid/raids. It consists of helm, shoulders, chest, gloves, pants. No reason to get all 5 unless it's an upgrade. You want to get your bonuses first and foremost (unless they suck).

I'm assuming you got a flex cursed vanquisher. Just use it for an upgrade to fill in for set bonus or whatever you need. No reason to sit on it.

Don't replace your normal tier gloves that you got. you want higher ilvl gear no matter what unless you need a setbonus, and some times you have to weigh the bonus versus the stats, but it's not that important in flex.

Why wouldn't I want all tier gear? don't you get the best and highest level gear from raids (normal and heroic SoO for now)?

I got an essence from a normal raid, so it's a level 553

I can get one of these items with it (expect for the gloves which I already have)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=99177 - Chest (already got this piece, but at level 540 in flex version)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99169 - Shoulders
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99176 - Legs
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99175 - Head

This is my character right now

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-maelstrom/Rizzrack/simple

The biggest upgrade I'll get in stats and ilvl is from upgrading the shoulders

edit:

Wait, is the tier gear the one you get from these tokens, but you mean a boss can drop a separate piece that is not considered tier but can be even better in terms of stats?

Fjordson

Why wouldn't I want all tier gear? don't you get the best and highest level gear from raids (normal and heroic SoO for now)?

I got an essence from a normal raid, so it's a level 553

I can get one of these items with it (expect for the gloves which I already have)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=99177 - Chest (already got this piece, but at level 540 in flex version)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99169 - Shoulders
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99176 - Legs
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99175 - Head

This is my character right now

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-maelstrom/Rizzrack/simple

The biggest upgrade I'll get in stats and ilvl is from upgrading the shoulders

edit:

Wait, is the tier gear the one you get from these tokens, but you mean a boss can drop a separate piece that is not considered tier but can be even better in terms of stats?
To your last question: yes. Many people get four tier pieces for their set bonus and then pick up a better piece of gear for their fifth slot.

Like I have tier chest, helm, legs and gloves on my shaman, but my shoulders are warforged (item lvl 575) from Ordos instead of my tier ones. Same goes for heroic raiders. Their tier gear is 582 fully upgraded, but non-tier gear can be heroic warforged which upgrades to 588. So they usually get their four piece set bonus with tier gear and then get a heroic warforged piece in the fifth slot.

Hopefully that made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom