• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally there's an "off-piece" that's better than the equivalent tier piece in terms of stats for your spec. So you use that instead of a 5th tier piece while retaining your 4-piece set bonus (assuming the 4-piece bonus is worth it - sometimes it isn't for some specs/classes).

For example, I play Frost DK, and right now my "off-piece" is a pair of legs from Malkorok which are better itemized than the tier ones, while keeping my 4-piece with all the other slots.

M.D

To your last question: yes. Many people get four tier pieces for their set bonus and then pick up a better piece of gear for their fifth slot.

Like I have tier chest, helm, legs and gloves on my shaman, but my shoulders are warforged (item lvl 575) from Ordos instead of my tier ones. Same goes for heroic raiders. Their tier gear is 582 fully upgraded, but non-tier gear can be heroic warforged which upgrades to 588. So they usually get their four piece set bonus with tier gear and then get a heroic warforged piece in the fifth slot.

Hopefully that made sense.

Generally there's an "off-piece" that's better than the equivalent tier piece in terms of stats for your spec. So you use that instead of a 5th tier piece while retaining your 4-piece set bonus (assuming the 4-piece bonus is worth it - sometimes it isn't for some specs/classes).

For example, I play Frost DK, and right now my "off-piece" is a pair of legs from Malkorok which are better itemized than the tier ones, while keeping my 4-piece with all the other slots.

Got it. Thanks.

Edit:

So looking at shoulders drops from SoO for example, the ones I can get from the token have the best additional stats for me (crit and haste) so even I did get some shoulders to drop from a boss at one of the next raids, I'd still want to use the ones I got from the token

So there's no real reason to not use the token right the way I see it

Edit 2:

Oh, it looks like tokens for a particular item can drop from the bosses, that's probably why they told me to wait on these tokens

http://www.wowhead.com/item=99685/shoulders-of-the-cursed-vanquisher

Can any Shaman users give me some advice?

N93lmX4.jpg

This is my guy. I'm elemental/resto while I'm leveling, but what moves should I be using in instances?

I use flame shock, then lava burst, but then nothing because they're both on cd's. Which totem as well?

When I'm resto I just use healing stream totem and spam riptide.

Karl Hawk

Banned
*looks at picture*
A mobile app for WoW?! Why didn't I know this until now. I'mma download it ASAP.

I think it's good to have an app to check on my character while away from my PC.

Robin64

*looks at picture*
A mobile app for WoW?! Why didn't I know this until now. I'mma download it ASAP.

I think it's good to have an app to check on my character while away from my PC.

You can access the AH too, and guild chat if you want. It's a great app.

I know it is a bit unrealistic to expect Blizzard's LFR loot system to be intelligent in any way (after getting an item from Garrosh, using my token, and getting the exact same item -- and of course it is unique-equipped), but...

I have an Essence from Garrosh in my inventory. I need two more pieces (legs and hat) to complete T16, so my plan is to hang on to the Essence and cash it in when I get one of those two for the other one. I've burnt nine tokens these last three weeks (1 on Thok for the head, 1 on the Klaxxi for the legs, 1 on Garrosh for another essence) to no avail.

There isn't any kind of smart code that won't a) award another Essence, b) not drop a token until I resolve an existing Essence, is there? Also, can Essence come from bonus rolls (I can't remember how I got my first)?

I know it is a bit unrealistic to expect Blizzard's LFR loot system to be intelligent in any way (after getting an item from Garrosh, using my token, and getting the exact same item -- and of course it is unique-equipped), but...

I have an Essence from Garrosh in my inventory. I need two more pieces (legs and hat) to complete T16, so my plan is to hang on to the Essence and cash it in when I get one of those two for the other one. I've burnt nine tokens these last three weeks (1 on Thok for the head, 1 on the Klaxxi for the legs, 1 on Garrosh for another essence) to no avail.

There isn't any kind of smart code that won't a) award another Essence, b) not drop a token until I resolve an existing Essence, is there? Also, can Essence come from bonus rolls (I can't remember how I got my first)?

You can get tier normal legs from the celestials, so I would go that route personally and use the essence on a head piece so you got a 4 piece.

And yes, essences can come from bonus rolls. THat's how I got mine.

You can get tier normal legs from the celestials, so I would go that route personally and use the essence on a head piece so you got a 4 piece.

And yes, essences can come from bonus rolls. THat's how I got mine.

Ah, I forgot that the legs come from the Celestials too -- I'll definitely do that. Would be great to get the head piece from the Essence too as I'd love to put that orange meta in it. Good to hear Essences can come from bonus rolls and I haven't just been wasting tokens on Garrosh chasing it. Thanks!

ch0mp

N93lmX4.jpg

This is my guy. I'm elemental/resto while I'm leveling, but what moves should I be using in instances?

I use flame shock, then lava burst, but then nothing because they're both on cd's. Which totem as well?

You should be using lightning bolt and earth shock when you have flame shock already up.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Here's what you should be casting:
Flame Shock -> Lava Burst -> Lightning Bolt until Lava Burst comes back up -> Keep Flame Shock's DoT up -> Earth Shock when you have 5-7 Stacks of LS ->

ampere

God the conversation in that "Titan Cancellation" thread is so mind numbing

It's like there's no point in addressing anyone because there will just be 30 more posts of "lol time for WoW 2!!!" or "Blizzard is dumb and doomed!!"

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should get the Blizzcon digital ticket this year. Thinking that with no expac announcement for WoW it won't be worth it, but what if they did announce one... would be insane, but they do want to release stuff faster. I'm getting hyped for no reason, lol. Probably will see a Starcraft expansion announcement, stuff about Warlords and Heroes of the Storm.

TheYanger

God the conversation in that "Titan Cancellation" thread is so mind numbing

It's like there's no point in addressing anyone because there will just be 30 more posts of "lol time for WoW 2!!!" or "Blizzard is dumb and doomed!!"

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should get the Blizzcon digital ticket this year. Thinking that with no expac announcement for WoW it won't be worth it, but what if they did announce one... would be insane, but they do want to release stuff faster. I'm getting hyped for no reason, lol. Probably will see a Starcraft expansion announcement, stuff about Warlords and Heroes of the Storm.

It's always worth it. Those cards sell for 3 times their value even like 6 months after the convention.

RPGCrazied

Thinking that with no expac announcement for WoW it won't be worth it, but what if they did announce one...

I seriously doubt they will announce a new WoW expansion WoD will just barely be about to release. Now we might get an announcement for a new D3 expansion. Mostly this Blizzcon is going to be about Hearthstone and Legacy of the Void.

I'm sure the WoW movie teaser will be there too.

I'm not getting it this year.

rallaren

So apparently I have access to the beta. I'm completely lost even play wise. I got beat up by a lvl 86 rare on "my" 90 warrior with full blues. Not sure if I wanna go to Draenor. I don't even know how.

Edit: Not beta just some test server.

Edit 2: I never got MoP so haven't played much in while so my skills are not very good.

Kraftwerk

So apparently I have access to the beta. I'm completely lost even play wise. I got beat up by a lvl 86 rare on my 90 warrior with full blues. Not sure if I wanna go to Draenor.

I hopped on the 6.00 PTR with my friend. I am a prot warrior and he is a WW monk. Both 580 ilvl. Went around, and I saw a Zandalari Warbringer, which I always solo on live. He decimated me.

My friend laughed at me and flew to me, saying how he will kill it. He got one shot.

Seems that when it comes to rares, and Draenor as a whole, Blizzard is really trying to push the whole savage world thing, and make rares and elites feel like a challenge. Not just another mob you can solo.

vocab

Everyone said everything else, but you want to use searing totem mainly. Your fire elemental, and earth elemental are dps cooldowns. Use fire first and by the time it dies, the earth one is good to go.

ampere

Seems that when it comes to rares, and Draenor as a whole, Blizzard is really trying to push the whole savage world thing, and make rares and elites feel like a challenge. Not just another mob you can solo.

Not the case. Just that some non-Draenor content has not been squished proper.

They lowered tank survivability in 6.0, but also tuned down mob damage. But not all mobs were fixed, prob because who cares about the older ones

Felspawn

Alliance or Horde?
i did that place and the mines yesterday as part of my Horde Pally's Legendary, one shot them both. The temple was close for a long time but we pulled it off by the end. My long suffering Alliance toons on the other hand STRUGGLED for match after match before they finally managed to get a win in each.

Felspawn

I hopped on the 6.00 PTR with my friend. I am a prot warrior and he is a WW monk. Both 580 ilvl. Went around, and I saw a Zandalari Warbringer, which I always solo on live. He decimated me.

My friend laughed at me and flew to me, saying how he will kill it. He got one shot.

and the game is better for it. Let there be a challenge in the game that doesnt require a raid to find

Felspawn

i wonder why on the PTR when i hit a mob i hit for patch 6.0 stat squished values. yet when i hit a critter, i hit for the full hundreds of thousands of pre-patch. Same thing if i fly up to the Ebon hold, I hit the test dummies for pre6.0 values

Artanisix

i wonder why on the PTR when i hit a mob i hit for patch 6.0 stat squished values. yet when i hit a critter, i hit for the full hundreds of thousands of pre-patch. Same thing if i fly up to the Ebon hold, I hit the test dummies for pre6.0 values

It's the old content scaling. Enemies that are much lower level than you take dramatically more damage.

philupthebucket

Neo Member
It's the old content scaling. Enemies that are much lower level than you take dramatically more damage.

Exactly this. It's how we're going to be able to solo old raids without them having to mess around too much with the mobs.

I took my 565 lock over to the PTR and did some ICC25. Hitting the first couple mobs for 800k conflags is fun.

Arcayne

Are there any Tichondrius GAF guilds or gaffers-in-guilds that are recruiting casual raiders? My gf and I are gearing up real fast via LFR, but don't know how to progress once we grab all the LFR loot available. I'm iLvl 528 Feral Druid, and shes an iLvl 515(?) Frost Mage. Gonna check out flex raids for now :)

PVP portion of the quest would have been a lot less painful if the games were at least close in my battle group. Think it took my alliance toon 6-8 tries each, and all losses were by a margin of >1000 points. If it's competitive, it's at least fun, but lopsided losses over and over are just not.

Artanisix

Exactly this. It's how we're going to be able to solo old raids without them having to mess around too much with the mobs.

I took my 565 lock over to the PTR and did some ICC25. Hitting the first couple mobs for 800k conflags is fun.

Now I will be able to solo ICC with 7 characters instead of just my DK for a chance at Invincible.

kreygasm

Artanisix

Pfff I wish! Then I wouldn't have to slave over oqueue trying to find a Dragon Soul group that doesn't have all the tier tokens on res.

EDIT: Oh my god I just learned you can queue for more than one LFR at one time... what have I been doing with my life...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
WoD System Requirements have been posted.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14580888055?page=1

The jump is bigger than I expected. I'm fine and well above recommended but my friend is way under the minimum now and was already running at 10-20 FPS in MoP.

Now I'm sad. We're going to have to quit the game.
There are a lot of settings beyond that in the menu you can tinker with. If your friend doesn't find good graphics important, he/she can run the game in ≤640x480 resolution with everything set to the absolute lowest under D3D9. I have a crappy integrated GPU which forces me to play with such settings, and with that I've been able to get somewhere around 30-100 FPS in the beta (depending on scene). RAM can of course be a problem though, does your friend meet the requirements for that?

Wunder

Pfff I wish! Then I wouldn't have to slave over oqueue trying to find a Dragon Soul group that doesn't have all the tier tokens on res.

EDIT: Oh my god I just learned you can queue for more than one LFR at one time... what have I been doing with my life...

Its a dangerous path, queuing for multiple wings. On one hand, you get instant queues after your wing is over. On the other, you end up chaining together groups and you can't break away and you're there for hours.

But yeah, for DPS queuing for multiple wings was an amazing revelation

frequency

Rösti;131513507 said:
There are a lot of settings beyond that in the menu you can tinker with. If your friend doesn't find good graphics important, he/she can run the game in ≤640x480 resolution with everything set to the absolute lowest under D3D9. I have a crappy integrated GPU which forces me to play with such settings, and with that I've been able to get somewhere around 30-100 in the beta (depending on scene). RAM can of course be a problem though, does your friend meet the requirements for that?

Yes, they meet the RAM minimum. It's just everything else is bad.

I've seen your Uglycraft screenshots (though I don't post often in here I read often) though I don't know how to make the game like that.

CassSept

Horde, I one shot mines but had to end up doing Temple like 7 times... Was rough.

This feels so weird, in my battlegroup Horde dominate Kotmogu all the time, but try going into Mines and cot damn. Impossible, impossible I say, it's like everyone suddenly loses any common sense and starts flailing around for no reason whatsoever.

This feels so weird, in my battlegroup Horde dominate Kotmogu all the time, but try going into Mines and cot damn. Impossible, impossible I say, it's like everyone suddenly loses any common sense and starts flailing around for no reason whatsoever.

Unless they've changed it since 5.3 Mines gives horde a one cart advantage at the start of the match 2 out of 3 times by virtue of the map layout.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

There's no battlegroups anymore, there haven't been for a long time. On average, mines is like 64% win rate to horde.
Unless they've changed it since 5.3 Mines gives horde a one cart advantage at the start of the match 2 out of 3 times by virtue of the map layout.

They fixed this a while ago too, carts dont spawn until the match starts now.

RPGCrazied

My wife is rocking a phenom x4 at 3.6 ghz, 12 gigs of ram, and a geforce 480. Think she'll be okay or do I need to do some upgrades?

I have a Phenom II X6, same speed, but only 6gigs and a Geforce GT 640. I can run everything at Ultra except shadows are set to High with 24-30 fps in a dense zone. Dunno about raids on the beta client. I'm hoping I might get better on live, cause beta usually gives out worser framerates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom