• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one of my friends started again and so we rolled a fresh toon on Pandaria. My other friend met this dude there that's level 77...and he asked him how long he's been on the island. He said since last September....lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie1wb

The hell, is he planning on hitting 90 like that? at 20-30 exp per herb he's going to have to pick over 700k herbs from 89-90, let alone all the gathering required from 77-89.

Cipherr

Finally decided to grind some panda rep. I need that water strider.

Can you still get golden lotus rep?

Theres 6 dailies I believe. And killing just about anything in that area grants rep. Theres also a lot of rares in that area on short spawn timers that give like 275 rep each and are easy kills. Doesn't take long to hit exalted.

CassSept

FAVE FIVE RAIDS

1. Black Temple
2. Blackwing Lair
3. Icecrown Citadel
4. Siege of Orgrimmar
5. Ulduar
HM to Karazhan
Least fave five consists of Trial of the Crusader.

Hummm.

1. Sunwell (oh I really love this raid so much, it was amazing)
2. Ulduar
3. Siege of Orgrimmar
4. Karazhan
5. Throne of Thunder
HM: Black Temple, Firelands for having some ingenious bosses.

I guess I could think about switching Uldu and SoO around, but I had not played SoO nearly enough, the raid is still too new to look back and second wing really brings it down, a lot.

The worst ones are easy though - 1. HYJAL 2. HYJAL 3. HYJAL 4. ToC 5. Obsidian Sanctum (Sartharion). Honorable mention: Halion because half the time I forget this boss even existed.

Quake1028

Are the original and/or TBC raids soloable at 83, or should I just wait until 90 to burn through them? I started so late that I haven't seen a lot of these raids.

Dot50Cal

Banned
We got to Garrosh again tonight and one-shot him 0_o. There must be some kind of huge mental block that gets cleared after we down a boss.

Are the original and/or TBC raids soloable at 83, or should I just wait until 90 to burn through them? I started so late that I haven't seen a lot of these raids.

TBC some maybe not, or much harder. Vanilla yes - I was soloing them at 80. Though they'll be even much quicker at 85-90. I'm talking bosses that may have taken minutes reduced to seconds, and having to possibly be in a tank spec to going pure DPS. I would just focus on leveling to 90, though you could start running something like Molten Core if you're after the legendaries there. Blackrock Mountain is kind of annoying to travel to unless you have a mole machine or are Alliance though. I'd also say Zul'Gurub, but that's just a dungeon now!

We got to Garrosh again tonight and one-shot him 0_o. There must be some kind of huge mental block that gets cleared after we down a boss.

Well you have more gear on everybody now as well, don't forget. Not to mention the experience of completing the whole fight. If you were on the verge of beating a boss before, the extra gear from beating it, and all the bosses before it that week, will more often than not tip you into beating it again.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Serpentshrine Caverns
Mount Hyjal
Black Temple
Ulduar
Tempest Keep
Karazhan

is where it's at.
No, really.
Sunwell was a really good raid, but balancing was completely bonkers. My guild disintegrated on Brutallus, because we had all decent dps, but most of them weren't really world-ranking material. Adaptable people, who never die and know all their tricks.. but raw damage wasn't their forte. Brutallus was the worst boss since Patchwerk, and that's saying something. Mother Sharahaz compares, perhaps. That was also really shitty. Nevertheless, a fun place. I probably have that opinion because i didn't even get to try M'uru pre-first-nerf.
Naxx rerelease was terrible, as was.. sartharion. Malygos was TONS of fun, probably the funniest boss i've ever done, but that was because we used a very particular strategy.
Ulduar was damn good. Like, TBC levels of good.
ToC was.. something. On one hand, no trash. That's a definite, big plus. Also, Argent Defender is an awesome title, and i had fun doing Tribute to Dedicated Insanity.
ICC, i didn't like at all. AT ALL. Having to farm both 10 and 25 didn't help, but all the boss logic just wasn't interesting, save for Putricide and Lich King.

Cata.. you don't talk about Cata. Just don't.
Pandaria was better, and i'm qualified to comment only on Orgrimmar.. which is a decent raid, but in no way tbc\ulduar level.
As a tanking perspective, Orgrimmar is completely shit. i'm REALLY not sold on two-tanks-fits-everything-and-don't-even-try-to-shake-it-up. Plus, how many tank swaps do we need exactly? And why is threat still irrelevant?
The encounters i'd consider 'fun', as a tank perspective, are...
Blackfuse
Garrosh
and.. that's it? perhaps Shamans, depending on how you do them.

It's a pretty fun raid as healer\dps, though.

Quake1028

TBC some maybe not, or much harder. Vanilla yes - I was soloing them at 80. Though they'll be even much quicker at 85-90. I'm talking bosses that may have taken minutes reduced to seconds, and having to possibly be in a tank spec to going pure DPS. I would just focus on leveling to 90, though you could start running something like Molten Core if you're after the legendaries there. Blackrock Mountain is kind of annoying to travel to unless you have a mole machine or are Alliance though. I'd also say Zul'Gurub, but that's just a dungeon now!.

So at 90 as a Mage, I could solo the Vanilla and TBC raids? That's something fun to look forward to.

Jag

Finally decided to grind some panda rep. I need that water strider.

Just got my water strider. I started the rep run during the 9th Anniversary and the the DMF to get the rep buffs, so it went pretty quick. There is a quest hub in southern dread wastes called Soggy's Gamble that gives you Angler's rep for quests. You get a decent chunk of rep, so do those too. You can also run 5mans and select a bonus rep as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So at 90 as a Mage, I could solo the Vanilla and TBC raids? That's something fun to look forward to.

Vanilla and TBC raids are ridiculously easy as a lvl 90 mage. The bosses are less of a threat to you than lvl 90 elites. You could even solo early WOTLK raids if you want to, like Naxx, Malygos or Sartharion. Stuff dies so fast you don't need healing.

Also, I bought the bat mount. Couldn't resist. And it's nice that buying stuff through the ingame shop put the item directly into your bags.

Quake1028

Vanilla and TBC raids are ridiculously easy as a lvl 90 mage. The bosses are less of a threat to you than lvl 90 elites. You could even solo early WOTLK raids if you want to, like Naxx, Malygos or Sartharion. Stuff dies so fast you don't need healing.

Also, I bought the bat mount. Couldn't resist. And it's nice that buying stuff through the ingame shop put the item directly into your bags.

How would you be able to solo something like 4 Horseman?

Bisnic

How would you be able to solo something like 4 Horseman?

Well... just kill them one at a time? It's not like you will have all 4 of them meleeing you and hitting you for 50k damage each time. I think at least 2 of them stay in their corner waiting for you while casting some spells that barely hurt.

I'd admit that i mostly soloed them on my ret paladin(the 25 man version on top of that) for the Armageddon sword, and i think i only needed to heal myself like... twice. So i'm sure a lvl 90 mage can easily solo the 10 man version. Just use the glyph that gives Evocation some healing and im sure the 25 man version will be just as easy. Assuming you've got at least some SoO LFR and 522 epics of course.

JCizzle

Well... just kill them one at a time? It's not like you will have all 4 of them meleeing you and hitting you for 50k damage each time. I think at least 2 of them stay in their corner waiting for you while casting some spells that barely hurt.

I'd admit that i mostly soloed them on my ret paladin(the 25 man version on top of that) for the Armageddon sword, and i think i only needed to heal myself like... twice. So i'm sure a lvl 90 mage can easily solo the 10 man version. Just use the glyph that gives Evocation some healing and im sure the 25 man version will be just as easy. Assuming you've got at least some SoO LFR and 522 epics of course.

The hardest part of naxx, IMO, are the mobs immune to damage unless you have a dispel for their shield.

Bisnic

The hardest part of naxx, IMO, are the mobs immune to damage unless you have a dispel for their shield.

Meh. They're more annoying than hard. :p They still won't be a threat to you and their shield will eventually disappear by itself.

Quake1028

My best memory of Naxx: we were going for either the 10 or 25 man no death achievement, can't remember which, and we were all the way to KT in a breeze. Around 70% of the way through KT, one of our off tanks decides to take one of those trash mobs just out of reach of the healers, and dies. The stunned silence on Vent was priceless.

Serpentshrine Caverns
Mount Hyjal
Black Temple
Ulduar
Tempest Keep
Karazhan

is where it's at.
No, really.
Sunwell was a really good raid, but balancing was completely bonkers. My guild disintegrated on Brutallus, because we had all decent dps, but most of them weren't really world-ranking material. Adaptable people, who never die and know all their tricks.. but raw damage wasn't their forte. Brutallus was the worst boss since Patchwerk, and that's saying something. Mother Sharahaz compares, perhaps. That was also really shitty. Nevertheless, a fun place. I probably have that opinion because i didn't even get to try M'uru pre-first-nerf.
Naxx rerelease was terrible, as was.. sartharion. Malygos was TONS of fun, probably the funniest boss i've ever done, but that was because we used a very particular strategy.
Ulduar was damn good. Like, TBC levels of good.
ToC was.. something. On one hand, no trash. That's a definite, big plus. Also, Argent Defender is an awesome title, and i had fun doing Tribute to Dedicated Insanity.
ICC, i didn't like at all. AT ALL. Having to farm both 10 and 25 didn't help, but all the boss logic just wasn't interesting, save for Putricide and Lich King.

Cata.. you don't talk about Cata. Just don't.
Pandaria was better, and i'm qualified to comment only on Orgrimmar.. which is a decent raid, but in no way tbc\ulduar level.
As a tanking perspective, Orgrimmar is completely shit. i'm REALLY not sold on two-tanks-fits-everything-and-don't-even-try-to-shake-it-up. Plus, how many tank swaps do we need exactly? And why is threat still irrelevant?
The encounters i'd consider 'fun', as a tank perspective, are...
Blackfuse
Garrosh
and.. that's it? perhaps Shamans, depending on how you do them.

It's a pretty fun raid as healer\dps, though.

This guy knows whats up. I have the same 5/6.

My best memory of Naxx: we were going for either the 10 or 25 man no death achievement, can't remember which, and we were all the way to KT in a breeze. Around 70% of the way through KT, one of our off tanks decides to take one of those trash mobs just out of reach of the healers, and dies. The stunned silence on Vent was priceless.

I never did get Undying or Immortal. Was close a few times, but never really put in the extra effort to get a run before they were made FoS. Shame since they're IMO still two of the best titles in the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As some one playing since Vanilla my top 5 favorite raids are:

1) Karazhan
2) Blackwing Lair
3) Icecrown Citadel
4) Siege of Orgrimmar
5) Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj

Kara has always just been one of my favorite raids in this game, everything about it. From the castlevania style atmosphere to the fight design. The first time you ever stepped foot into the chessroom everyone had this HOLY SHIT WE GET TO PLAY CHESS AGAINST MEDIVH moment, it was incredible. Netherspite has always been one of the most interesting bosses to me and summoning Nightbane for the first time was incredibly memorable. On top of that Kara always has this mystique about it, and actually traveling through the ruined halls of Medivh's tower with dancing specters in an eternal party was just about the coolest thing I've ever seen in game.

Blackwing Lair was the first time in WoW I felt that raids were something far more than just "bigger dungeons", every single inch of that raid felt so intense, I will never forget all the screaming and confusion over ventrilo while learning how to properly do the fight for Razorgore, and then the inevitable cries of agony while learning how to do Vaelasteraz.

ICC is just such an incredible raid, I hated it at the time because I was forced to raid nothing but ICC for almost a full year, thanks blizzard. But looking back you really have to give that raid mad props, hell it has the Lich King in it, which to me will always be my favorite boss fight in the game, killing normal mode LK before the 15% buff released felt so good. Every fight in that raid feels really good to pull off, especially getting down the ice block control for sindragosa.

Siege of Orgrimmar, while I can't say too much for the boss design as I've only ever done it on flex has incredible atmosphere, you really get the feeling that you're uncovering a deep dark secret as you're attacking a city. This is the first raid in the game that actually felt like a real raid (ulduar as well but that felt more like exploration past the intro point). The best thing about SoO is that it really felt like the culmination of Mists of Pandaria, nearly everything that happened during the expansion gets closure during that raid. The Klaaxi, the Mogu, the Pandaren you meet on the wandering isle (that poor panda that picked horde is being tortured ;_; why bro) almost everything get resolution during this raid. It's probably blizzards best attempt at direct story telling through a raid. Even if the dialogue is still ass.

Finally AQ20, I don't know why I have a fondness for this raid, probably because of all the gimmicky fights in it, everything felt unique, from the sandtraps of kurinaax, to breaking the skull cap off buruu and the mana drain stuff on that dude with the arcane elementals getting huge. Really though what made it awesome to me was Osirian, triggering that boss fight really felt like we had just summoned the end of the world, the whole area suddenly became alive and terrifying with giant tornadoes everywhere and the skybox becoming red and dark. Such an awesome fight.

Also I have a bit of bias towards AQ20, because as a 15 year old during the time the raid was out, I was the only person in our whole guild who knew the strats for the Anubisath trash and I got to raid lead for 30 minutes. Which made me feel important :3

Jag

I never did get Undying or Immortal. Was close a few times, but never really put in the extra effort to get a run before they were made FoS. Shame since they're IMO still two of the best titles in the game.

I have Immortal as my title on all of my toons over 80. Only 2 or 3 guilds got it on our server.

Salamando

There's a lot I like about SOO...the boss progression was steady, the lore behind the raid was really clear, and you actually understood why the things that were there were there. I just wish it was two raids instead of one - the Vale and the Siege. They feel awkward right now...we clean up things underground in the vale, then get teleported to outside Orgrimmar...why not just stop there and create a new raid start point?

Bisnic

Only giving 50% to charity instead of 100 is kind of gross. And you could make the argument where stuff like the Bloodwing should be available in-game.

Lol... i wouldn't call it "gross". I mean, Blizzard might as well never give anything to charity, nobody is forcing them to do that. It's still nice of them to give something at least. And i doubt that's what he meant by people being bothered by the shop.

Tacitus_

There's a lot I like about SOO...the boss progression was steady, the lore behind the raid was really clear, and you actually understood why the things that were there were there. I just wish it was two raids instead of one - the Vale and the Siege. They feel awkward right now...we clean up things underground in the vale, then get teleported to outside Orgrimmar...why not just stop there and create a new raid start point?

Where would you have the instance portal tho?

Salamando

Gamers like collecting stuff...we're either predisposed to it or conditioned to do it. What the pet store does is require ponying up some money if you want to collect all the pets and mounts available in game. With the rate they charge for pets/mounts, that gets costly fast.

Earlier versions of the in-game store had things like Lesser Charms and triple XP potions for sale. Once those things are available, people always fear the game will be made worse to encourage the purchase of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lol... i wouldn't call it "gross". I mean, Blizzard might as well never give anything to charity, nobody is forcing them to do that. It's still nice of them to give something at least. And i doubt that's what he meant by people being bothered by the shop.

Nobody is forcing them, but I guarantee you a lot more people buy pets when it says it's going to charity than when it's not. They know exactly what they're doing.

When in doubt, Caverns of Time?

I dunno. Trying to think, but there really wouldn't be a good place to have it that made sense and was fair (enough) to Alliance players. One thing that could have been done would be to have it in like, Dustwallow at Theramore, and you sail up the coast with some encounter on boats ala the airship in ICC. That might have worked.

Salamando

Wouldn't be that hard to set up.

During the Battlefied: Barrens thing, they had ports to Ratchet from the Shrine. Reactivate those, have a boat going from Ratchet to your factions' fleet.

If they want to keep the portal on Pandaria...have the factions set up small camps on the Mogushan Palace terrace, up the steps from where Garrosh dumped the heart into the pool. Have mages with ports to their fleets, faction leaders arguing over what Garrosh just did, and NPC's running around trying to help quell the corruption.

Only problem then is this new Vale raid is effectively a mirror of the Terrace of Endless Springs...you got a Sha, a group of fallen protectors, the corrupted manifestation of the Waters power, and a fight that's all about purging corruption.

ZenaxPure

Gamers like collecting stuff...

More like just human beings like collecting stuff. Both of my parents hate video games, but have their own weird collection obsessions. It's just human nature.

But oh oh, top 5 raids? That's fun, in no real order at all:
-Blackwing Lair
-Blackwing Descent
-Naxx 40
-Kara
-Ulduar

There's no real rhyme or reason to my list, I like all of those for different reasons. A place like Kara I don't feel like had the best bosses (though some of them were awesome), but it's the only raid in the game that feels like a big epic place to explore (since there was so many pointless/neat rooms you could go and visit). BWL/BWD I really love the atmosphere and feel of them, Nef was a great bad guy and I loved his style. Plus I enjoy pretty much all the bosses in both of those raids. Both versions of Nef were a lot of fun to fight.

Naxx 40 is in my opinion the toughest raid they ever made since there was no normal/heroic split and Grob was the only boss that was a freebie boss. Every other boss had at least 1 unforgiving mechanic that you had to master (if not more) and some of them had such crazy mechanics blizzard never used them again (like original Loatheb). Place was balls hard and I loved every second of it.

As for Ulduar there is kind of nothing else like it and I assume there never will be. I had to imagine that raid took forever to craft just with the architecture alone. I have no desire to go back to how those hard modes worked, but it was interesting to see them toggled by random things in the encounter itself (kill the heart, push the button, etc.). Also has the coolest door in the game, so that's something too.

Jag

I broke down and bought the Armored Bloodwing. It was staring at me. I couldn't resist. Wish you could try before you buy though, the wings are a bit flappy.

Milennia

Well... I had a whole thing typed up but my browser decided to refresh... Yay..

So ill just tldr

I have been a top 10 us- world raider since mid bc, my list is based purely on boss design from a top progression stand point.

Dosclaimer: i quit right after thunder king raid testing and hear SOO is great from my raid buddies who still play and are still top players.

-sunwell (kiljaedan and muru)
-ulduar (yogg 0 and firefighter)
- firelands (beth and post geyser ragnaros as geyser was buggy and bullshit and i hated phase 4 even during farm because of it u til it was removed)
- ICC (putricide and lich king were godly in terms of progression, and there were so many decent filler fights that its hard not to include the raid in the list)
- had trouble comimg up with a 5th so ill say SSC (vashj and leo)

Honorable mentions for bosses - sinestra.
(Really didn't enjoy t14 much at all outside of empress in terms of what i have played of MOP, what i knew about t15 due to raid testing and pre written up strats for each fight we had for progression, i didn't like it much at all either outside of maybe 2 encounters)
But what i know about siege from friends is blackfuse sounds awesome as well as garrosh.

Had something huge written up but as i said previously.. Its gone lol, so sorry sbout the half ass post and descriptions.

Talents

Banned
Awww yes. Got the Green Fire. Only took a few hours which I was surprised at. It's surprisingly easy when you know what he does. The only problem I had was I waited too late on some things.

Tacitus_

Awww yes. Got the Green Fire. Only took a few hours which I was surprised at. It's surprisingly easy when you know what he does. The only problem I had was I waited too late on some things.

Green Fire is the best. I think we'd been asking for it since BC or something. I'm never turning it off <3

Rokam

By chance can anyone fill in the gaps of the assembly line strat on Siegecrafter. Just LFR, but finding a guide of extra shit that happens is impossible. I know the basic jump in the tube kill the Crawler Mines if they're up, but is there anything that'll force me off the belt or can I just stand up there all day?

Nullgradkelvin

Neo Member
The new inventory solution for fun items and tabards can't come soon enough.
My bags are bursting...

I love this dungeon:

hRjfnyW.jpg

Salamando

By chance can anyone fill in the gaps of the assembly line strat on Siegecrafter. Just LFR, but finding a guide of extra shit that happens is impossible. I know the basic jump in the tube kill the Crawler Mines if they're up, but is there anything that'll force me off the belt or can I just stand up there all day?

Here's the basics...you jump in, you get a debuff preventing you from jumping in again for a little bit. When you're on the belt, the moment before the next Assembly Line, Siegecrafter magnetic pulls you off the belt. The combination of the debuff and the magnet pull force you to alternate who's on the belt.

For what to kill...my group likes to prio Electromagnet first, then Mines. The Magnet removes all sawblades, and our tank likes to keep 'em around for killing the add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom