• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I level 90 boosted a toon and he flies at 418% speed, but I noticed I don't have Master Riding.

If I spent the 4k (rep discount) on Master Riding would I even get a speed increase? I thought 418% was max.

Color me SUPER unimpressed with Blizzard's 'generous offer' to handle prospective CE retail buyers (i.e. pretty much their most devoted and loyal customers) who want to preorder the game digitally now and take advantage of the level 90 boost earlier.

Long and short of it is, they're not reimbursing you with game time, or with the cost of the game. They're just giving you back the standard digital code so that you can 'gift' it to a friend (or presumably sell it).

You still need to buy two copies of the (already overpriced) expansion.

What in the actual fuck.

I suppose it's better than nothing at all, but it winds up coming across as a slap in the face. Fuck that.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15...the-collector’s-edition-later-9-18-2014

The vitriol in the comments on that blog post are real and deserved.
Actually, I just created a ticket about this. A GM said he could refund my digital edition cost in game time after I register my CE because I said I wanted the level 90 boost right now. Just have to submit the ticket within 72 hours of registering the CE.

Enosh

fuck yes I looted the Dark Shaman xmog set and I didn't even know it existed. Sweet!
I hate you
7 normal kills, 19 flex, shit didn't drop, 2 guildies got it on their 2nd or 3rd kills on alts they barely play (granted my shaman is also an alt but I played it more than they did) -.-

Wunder

I hate you
7 normal kills, 19 flex, shit didn't drop, 2 guildies got it on their 2nd or 3rd kills on alts they barely play (granted my shaman is also an alt but I played it more than they did) -.-

yeah it was probably my 2nd flex kill I think. It was hilarious because I assume it only drops for Shamans? And we had an extraordinary amount of them in this Flex run for some reason. Got a bunch of whispers instantly lol

So I level 90 boosted a toon and he flies at 418% speed, but I noticed I don't have Master Riding.

If I spent the 4k (rep discount) on Master Riding would I even get a speed increase? I thought 418% was max.

It's slightly misleading. I'm not sure how it's calculated but I'm pretty sure 418% is just 280%. Master riding gives you 310% which bumps it up to 451%.

Prodigal

Banned
If you clear a silver proving grounds on one of your DPS toons, are all of your other DPS toons then qualified for WoD heroics as well?

vocab

Fucking lol. I thought MW had it bad. Holy pally looks god awful. Can't wait for that tank and healer shortage. Its going to happen.

Touchdown

Banned
This might be a little late but what is your guild name?

I'll give you a list to correspond to each if I can muster enough creativity.

It has the word Phoenix in the title so maybe ranks named in myth? The guild was built out of an old dying guild that I reformed a bit and grew.

Artanisix

Fucking lol. I thought MW had it bad. Holy pally looks god awful. Can't wait for that tank and healer shortage. Its going to happen.

Mistweavers seem like total dogshit in WoD. I used to main them a year ago but man, really can't stand carrying to sets of gear around.

ampere

If you clear a silver proving grounds on one of your DPS toons, are all of your other DPS toons then qualified for WoD heroics as well?

I am pretty sure this is the case. But it has to be done after 6.0, the current proving grounds won't count for that AFAIK.

Got really lucky tonight and found a good CM group on openraid. I was essentially the only pug, they all knew each other. Did all 9 in like 3 hours.

oRhI55y.jpg

Woo! I think I'm done with my toons, just have a few friends I need to help finish. Didn't get armor for Hunter/Warlock/Rogue, but eh oh well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i havent really messed with Beta much because i dont want to spoil too much so ive been checking out mostly mechanic stuff. Got bored this morning so i looked into the dwarf starting zone. The first thing that caught me off guard are the changes to the sounds. In Coldridge this is very noticeable with the gunfire going off. The second was just how good dwarves look now. i know its been mentioned to death but the new models and, more importantly, the animations are just top notch. i mean just look at Cousinit, level 1 dwarf shaman, laying down the law.

uqsL9yy.jpg

edit: for comparison
m05bQsW.jpg

A little too much of the Panda in their running maybe, but nothing as attrocious as the Male Night Elf.

Female Night Elf, Female Undead, Male Troll all do a great job of capturing the essence of their old models in a modern interpretation. Male & Female Dwarf, Female Troll and Female Orc all do a great job of improving upon what was a less than average model to begin with.

Minion101

Banned
i havent really messed with Beta much because i dont want to spoil too much so ive been checking out mostly mechanic stuff. Got bored this morning so i looked into the dwarf starting zone. The first thing that caught me off guard are the changes to the sounds. In Coldridge this is very noticeable with the gunfire going off. The second was just how good dwarves look now. i know its been mentioned to death but the new models and, more importantly, the animations are just top notch. i mean just look at Cousinit, level 1 dwarf shaman, laying down the law.

uqsL9yy.jpg

edit: for comparison
m05bQsW.jpg

Wow I already liked how the new Dwarf models looked. Look at that.

M.D

So this is weird..

I'm loot locked on celestials because I already killed one this week, right? but now after I joined a random fight with one, it asks me if I want to roll bonus loot?

How is that supposed to work? I don't think I had the seals when I killed the first one this week, is that why its asking me? can it actually roll gear now or just gold?

fuzzyset

So this is weird..

I'm loot locked on celestials because I already killed one this week, right? but now after I joined a random fight with one, it asks me if I want to roll bonus loot?

How is that supposed to work? I don't think I had the seals when I killed the first one this week, is that why its asking me? can it actually roll gear now or just gold?

Warforged Seals give you 1 extra chance at loot for Celestials and SoO bosses each week. Even if the kills are separate. You can roll for gear. I get gold a lot though :(

M.D

Warforged Seals give you 1 extra chance at loot for Celestials and SoO bosses each week. Even if the kills are separate. You can roll for gear. I get gold a lot though :(

So that means you can only bonus roll once per week for celestials or a raid boss?

That's good to know. Thanks.

TheYanger

Yeah I was a tauren for a long time, not a big fan of them on beta. the teeth make them look dopey and don't look that way on the old ones.

I would nominate Female Night Elves and Female Draenei as the 'best' new models. They look VERY in line with the old ones. Orcs and dwarves and such are huge improvements but they're clearly not the same, where I think you could glance at the elf or draenei and actually be fooled for a moment.

Either people will get used to the new model looks or people will start turning helm graphics back on. Either way more choice, more diversity. All good.

Unless you're tauren, because your snout is impossible to ignore lol.

I really enjoy tanking. On live i main a monk and have a warrior (prot) and a paladin (holy). I' m really tempted to change main because i am telling myself that a tanking role is better done with a sword and a shield (personal opinion). I like the idea of defending my party behind a shield rather then a staff or a polearm (or Fist weapons) and i tried alla tanking classes in beta and i really enjoyed warrior and paladin. What retains me is that monk is my main and when people think of me they think of me being a monk tank and nothing else. I started playing in pandaria and switching main would be the very first time and i'm scared i will regret it. Someone had the same experience?

vocab

Bm is weaaaak right now in word. Play style has no control. You are basically spamming purify brew on light stagger. Don't waste your time until bliz stops sucking. Also prot pally has less survivability than a ret. So.... Dk or warrior is your only choice.

TheYanger

Bm is weaaaak right now in word. Play style has no control. You are basically spamming purify brew on light stagger. Don't waste your time until bliz stops sucking. Also prot pally has less survivability than a ret. So.... Dk or warrior is your only choice.

BM just scales too well with every secondary, it's a spec that gets a LOT worse with worse gear, the start of MoP they were strong because of their damage, but their survivability didn't really flourish until ToT gear levels. They need Haste, they need Crit, and they want mastery too. Most of the tanks don't give a shit about anything but Mastery.

Well i was not speaking about performances tho:p since i raid in a guild that doesn't aim to world first or realm first. By the way i feel monk tanking pretty much the same as live and it took the general nerf blizzard gave to the role. Warrior is on the top at the moment but afaik we are still waiting a balance.

EDIT: Pretty much what the Yanger said but haste now is pointless since serenity and you can get a decent amount of gift of the ox from a low level of multistrike. I see a mastery=crit in the first tier.

Wunder

Well i was not speaking about performances tho:p since i raid in a guild that doesn't aim to world first or realm first. By the way i feel monk tanking pretty much the same as live and it took the general nerf blizzard gave to the role. Warrior is on the top at the moment but afaik we are still waiting a balance.

EDIT: Pretty much what the Yanger said but haste now is pointless since serenity and you can get a decent amount of gift of the ox from a low level of multistrike. I see a mastery=crit in the first tier.

Switching mains/characters/roles is a weird but exciting experience. I swapped around a lot when I was playing in BC and Wrath, going from a shitty Mage with zero knowledge of the game in Vanilla, to a Holy/Prot pally in BC, then a Resto/Boomkin in Wrath, a Guardian Druid in Cata and now I'm an Enhancement Shaman in MoP. I think switching roles is a great way to experience more of the game because you really see fights in an entirely new way sometimes. That being said, I'm still probably sticking with Enh Shaman in WoD, with a Resto Druid on the side or something.

Kraftwerk

Eh, I hear these type of comments all the time. No offense.

My friend has been tanking mythic bosses and heroic bosses on beta on his BM monk. He has been fine. Same for paladin or druid.

Just look at MoP. I heard COUNTLESS times how Druid tanks suck and they are boring, but I know multiple 14/14hm guilds who did it with a druid main tank.

Yeah, I agree that Warriors are a little OP right now in WoD, but that always happens with certain classes in the game.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Something I didn't know until now that all 1-60 content were revamped at Cataclysm's release.

Basically when I was playing WoW, I had some NPC's talking about the death of Lich King and I was like ''Wha? But I haven't gotten to WOLTK zones yet.'' then I realized that the game got taken after the Fall of the Lich King in terms of storyline.

This is one of those things where I felt silly not knowing about it earlier. But then again, I play the game mostly for some PvE fun (And lore too if I ever find something that talks about the backstory of WoW). :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is JC still going to be a good profession in WoD? Trying to decide what prof to choose on my horde priest when i'll boost it to 90 once he is 60 to get 600 on 2 professions, since my horde characters have nothing but gathering professions (I'm mostly Alliance). I was thinking of going Enchanting/JC, since all my horde characters will benefit from this, instead of something like Tailoring or Blacksmithing. Thoughts?

TheYanger

Is JC still going to be a good profession in WoD? Trying to decide what prof to choose on my horde priest when i'll boost it to 90 once he is 60 to get 600 on 2 professions, since my horde characters have nothing but gathering professions (I'm mostly Alliance). I was thinking of going Enchanting/JC, since all my horde characters will benefit from this, instead of something like Tailoring or Blacksmithing. Thoughts?

There are no combat benefits, so it really just comes down to what you find convenient/profitable. JC should be roughly as good as it is now, there are less gems but they're a shitload more expensive/hard to make.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Its really just whatever you think is the coolest a this point. Blacksmith, jewelcrafting, herbalism, engineering aren't going to be op anymore since profession specific stat bonuses are gone. If you want the crafted blacksmith plate gear on an alt eventually too you can just get the blacksmith building in your garrison and essentially have the profession as well.

e: professions will also be easier to swap around in WoD, since they can all be started at 1 with draenor recipes. You can skip 300-400 and not spend tons of gold trying to get through the outland/northrend portion of the professions anymore, or just skip 1-575 entirely since you can make some of the recipes at 1, not just janky grey items like you can in MoP Blacksmithing.

vocab

Just look at MoP. I heard COUNTLESS times how Druid tanks suck and they are boring, but I know multiple 14/14hm guilds who did it with a druid main tank.
I bet that was a damn struggle.

Also I'm talking about how they feel. Play style boring. I'm more interested in play style. If bm is weak there's a reason and right now their play style sucks ass. This balance around the tier set is stupid as shit.

Once per week for celestials/ordos. How many you want for flex or lfr, once for normal/HC raid bosses.

Whoa, you mean I can get more than one re-roll a boss a week on LFR? I had no idea, figured it was the same as everything else. That'll be great finishing up some transmog.

fuzzyset

Its really just whatever you think is the coolest a this point. Blacksmith, jewelcrafting, herbalism, engineering aren't going to be op anymore since profession specific stat bonuses are gone. If you want the crafted blacksmith plate gear on an alt eventually too you can just get the blacksmith building in your garrison and essentially have the profession as well.

I'm pretty sure the garrison profession buildings still won't get you the high end recipes unless you are actually trained in the profession. But you should be able to craft entry level blues and stuff.

For recommendations though, I really like enchanting. Instead of just selling old epics, selling the purple crystals is pretty profitable and it takes literally 0 extra effort. Plus, old game dusts from greens still sell pretty well depending on the server so farming old dungeons becomes that much more profitable.

Kraftwerk

I bet that was a damn struggle.

Also I'm talking about how they feel. Play style boring. I'm more interested in play style. If bm is weak there's a reason and right now their play style sucks ass. This balance around the tier set is stupid as shit.

Not a struggle at all. my good friend plays a druid tank.

And how is BM boring? Its such a versatile class. You actually do shit. I have been tanking on my warrior since BC. Same shit for a decade. Thats why im switching to a BM monk.

I know its opinions, but warrior just feels the same to me. They should have really tried to work on the current three specs instead of adding a bullshit 4th spec.

vocab

Not a struggle at all. my good friend plays a druid tank.

And how is BM boring? Its such a versatile class. You actually do shit. I have been tanking on my warrior since BC. Same shit for a decade. Thats why im switching to a BM monk.

I know its opinions, but warrior just feels the same to me. They should have really tried to work on the current three specs instead of adding a bullshit 4th spec.
You didn't read my post about wod bm.

Mashing purifying brew because light stagger is dangerous now equals boring gameplay. There's no control. Actually I lied. You mash purifying brew or die. That complexity!
Bm in mop is overpowered as fuck and the most well designed tanking spec. The Nerf was obvious but gutting the gameplay is a mistake.

Also healing a bear druid versus other tanks in mop was dreadful.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
started playing wow recently. /played 31 hours over 32 days. i'm just casually playing by myself and doing quests. i haven't done much else. i feel overwhelmed and don't understand near half the things people are talking about when it comes to this game. i really want to enjoy it.

i started off with the starter edition. i was happy doing that until i seen they were offering me the full game for just £4.50. i couldn't refuse that. then i noticed that MoP was only £12.50. now i've gone and bought WoD for £35.

i have a level 34 night elf balance druid. he's OK but not that enjoyable. i'm just constantly spamming 6/7 to use the same two spells over and over again. occasionally 3 when i need to heal. also i really don't like the way he looks. so with my 90 boost i just made a human warrior who looks real bad right now but he'll look decent by the time the new character models arrive. i've seen what he'll look like because i downloaded the PTR to try 6.0.2 to see how it run.

with the night elf i'm in desolace and my human is in pandaria. my plan for the elf is to just take my time and play through the quests. with my human i just wanted to try catch up everyone else. not sure how that's working really.

some of the quests in pandaria are just no good. i don't understand them or they require things i can't easily do right now. i think one wanted me to beat a raid boss and one little panda asked me to catch a fish but i need to unlock that? i have no clue how i learn to fish.

sorry for the huge wall of text. i'm new. i want to enjoy the game. i'm just gonna keep doing what i'm doing for now and see how it goes. i know i'm super late and not sure if it's worth trying to catch up.

Tamanon

Banned
started playing wow recently. /played 31 hours over 32 days. i'm just casually playing by myself and doing quests. i haven't done much else. i feel overwhelmed and don't understand near half the things people are talking about when it comes to this game. i really want to enjoy it.

i started off with the starter edition. i was happy doing that until i seen they were offering me the full game for just £4.50. i couldn't refuse that. then i noticed that MoP was only £12.50. now i've gone and bought WoD for £35.

i have a level 34 night elf balance druid. he's OK but not that enjoyable. i'm just constantly spamming 6/7 to use the same two spells over and over again. occasionally 3 when i need to heal. also i really don't like the way he looks. so with my 90 boost i just made a human warrior who looks real bad right now but he'll look decent by the time the new character models arrive. i've seen what he'll look like because i downloaded the PTR to try 6.0.2 to see how it run.

with the night elf i'm in desolace and my human is in pandaria. my plan for the elf is to just take my time and play through the quests. with my human i just wanted to try catch up everyone else. not sure how that's working really.

some of the quests in pandaria are just no good. i don't understand them or they require things i can't easily do right now. i think one wanted me to beat a raid boss and one little panda asked me to catch a fish but i need to unlock that? i have no clue how i learn to fish.

sorry for the huge wall of text. i'm new. i want to enjoy the game. i'm just gonna keep doing what i'm doing for now and see how it goes. i know i'm super late and now sure if it's really for me.

For the Pandaria quests, you can learn fishing either at Halfhill, the little farm. Or go to the Shrine and set your hearthstone there by talking to the innkeeper inside. Then you can just take a portal to any city you want where you can learn fishing or any professions.

I know it's definitely overwhelming. The good thing is that once WoD comes out, you'll be even with everybody else, since we all have to start anew grinding to 100 and gearing up.

For now, I'd suggest just playing. Try some dungeons, try some LFR, explore. You're not going to finish a legendary cloak in the next two months, so just use the time to learn your class and learn to group.

Wunder

sorry for the huge wall of text. i'm new. i want to enjoy the game. i'm just gonna keep doing what i'm doing for now and see how it goes. i know i'm super late and not sure if it's worth trying to catch up.

Jumping into WoW with a boosted character must be incredibly confusing. Even I was insanely confused when I jumped in after not touching WoW since the end of Cataclysm. Random quest chains from different patches sending you everywhere and anywhere, the Warchief's Command Board seemingly being abandoned and still giving my Cataclysm Raid quests?! What's a Blingtron 4000!

It took me a good two weeks to acclimate myself with the Shrine and Timeless Isle and all that stuff. I cannot imagine what it's like for someone who hasn't experienced end-game WoW before.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'm pretty sure the garrison profession buildings still won't get you the high end recipes unless you are actually trained in the profession. But you should be able to craft entry level blues and stuff.

For recommendations though, I really like enchanting. Instead of just selling old epics, selling the purple crystals is pretty profitable and it takes literally 0 extra effort. Plus, old game dusts from greens still sell pretty well depending on the server so farming old dungeons becomes that much more profitable.

You can DE items with the garrison building if you dont have enchanting.

Brofist

Resubbed a little early for WoD hoping to finish the cloak quest, and man even with the buff not getting the drops on the Secrets of the Empires.

Also about to preirder WoD and still can't decide what to lvl boost. I have a hunter sitting at 60 I wouldn't mind boosting hut Ive never played a high level caster, thinking about making a 90 mage or lock.

Tamanon

Banned
I need to buckle down and finish the cloak. My pally is the furthest along with 5/12 Runestones. I should definitely be able to finish it before WoD. My problem is finding the time. Destiny is soaking up what little free time I have. Just need to knock stuff out on Tuesdays since those are almost guaranteed successful LFRs.

Wunder

Resubbed a little early for WoD hoping to finish the cloak quest, and man even with the buff not getting the drops on the Secrets of the Empires.

Also about to preirder WoD and still can't decide what to lvl boost. I have a hunter sitting at 60 I wouldn't mind boosting hut Ive never played a high level caster, thinking about making a 90 mage or lock.

Weird, I got 14/20 on my first week. Hoping to finish it out without wasting too many bosses next week so I can get a good start on my Runestones.

Ultratech

8/9 Gold on CMs now.

Got SSB done earlier which took a while...

Spent a good two hours wiping and resetting due to people dying to random stuff.
(Not to mention we burned through about 20 Charges on my Drums of Speed.)

Finally got Gold on it though despite the run almost ending in disaster.
(Arms Warrior died right before the boss pull; managed to get him up and burn the boss down fairly quick.)

Apparently, I've put together a pretty damn good set for CMs, since I'm usually doing lots of DPS or top on Damage on a boss fight.
Certainly not BiS, but performs really well enough to where I'm not lacking in DPS.

All I got left now is MSP which I'm probably gonna get done tomorrow night.
It shouldn't be near as long as the SSB mess.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
8/9 Gold on CMs now.

Got SSB done earlier which took a while...

Spent a good two hours wiping and resetting due to people dying to random stuff.
(Not to mention we burned through about 20 Charges on my Drums of Speed.)

Finally got Gold on it though despite the run almost ending in disaster.
(Arms Warrior died right before the boss pull; managed to get him up and burn the boss down fairly quick.)

Apparently, I've put together a pretty damn good set for CMs, since I'm usually doing lots of DPS or top on Damage on a boss fight.
Certainly not BiS, but performs really well enough to where I'm not lacking in DPS.

All I got left now is MSP which I'm probably gonna get done tomorrow night.
It shouldn't be near as long as the SSB mess.

SSB was the hardest one imo, that barrel room can't be slow rolled, you have to kite the whole room, snare, and kill them all while smashing barrels into them. It's not an easy pull.

Ultratech

SSB was the hardest one imo, that barrel room can't be slow rolled, you have to kite the whole room, snare, and kill them all while smashing barrels into them. It's not an easy pull.

Yeah, that was one of the things we had a lot of trouble on.

Mostly because either the tank would die due to too much damage (or random barrel spawns), or other messes.

Had one run where we cleared it super quick due to good barrel spawns.
It's just really random from what I noticed.

M.D

So my guild master gave me stacks of 20 various gems to level my JC from 420 to 425 (only needed one stack)

I used Monarch Topaz, and now I see they sell for 350g a piece on the auction house

>.<

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently leveling a Monk to 60 and I'm gonna use my boost to 90 on him, but I'm trying to decide what professions to take. I mostly just want to make gold. What professions would you guys recommend for that? I've been away from the game for a few years, so I'm not sure what the market wants right now, or what will be good in WoD.

TheYanger

As noted....that's going to just overwhelm the shit out of you. I may even just keep playing the druid to come into more elements of the game naturally (For instance, spamming 2 buttons is either incorrect or won't continue much longer. My guess is the former, but levelling you don't have all your tools so it's possible I'm wrong). It's a lot of work just learning a new class from 0, let alone the entire game.

At the stage you're at, I would HIGHLY recommend just looking up newbie guides/game guides that might cover the basics of things like Professions, (such as fishing and mining and stuff), general questing and dungeon tips and stuff.

You can find fairly in-depth class guides at icy-veins.com, depending on which spec you'd like to play.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13474197/boosting-101-new-to-90-guide-3-26-2014 has a basic guide to things to check out after you hit 90.

Heck, Blizz even anticipated folks like you coming in and made some super basic guides that shouldn't overwhelm you. They're only like 1 spec per class but it's better than nothing:
http://youtu.be/s123TuGjtIA The warrior one.

All classes (including the warrior and balance druid) have a lot lot lot more depth than you're going to realize at first blush, and while levelling is super easy at the low end, the simple truth is that being good at wow is VERY difficult, it's not just gear (don't let anyone tell you that, as much as gear is important) so don't get frustrated while you're learning this stuff.

Also, 6.0 is hitting soon and warriors are changing a TON in that, so a lot of this learning may be a bit premature, but it's always going to be better to come from some knowledge than none at all.

Finally, a quikcie guide of things to check out for fresh 90s. I didn't do more than glance at this but it looked solid.
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2093/things-to-do-once-you-hit-level-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom