• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

I think the solo-ing thing is expected. The huge gains you got from TBC>Wrath>Cata>Mists is no longer there. Everything from 1-90 is linear now. You're gonna need to level to 100 to see the big damage gains. This is assuming the one shotting is happening on 90 toons, not 100. There's also a big thread on the WoW forums dedicated to addressing certain boss mechanics that may not have scaled well, so hopefully it get resolved.

These are reports from people who are lvl 100 on beta.

And it isn't expected. They literally said in blizzcon that soloing old raids will not be affected, or even doing it with friends. I can go into ICC with one healer and a DPS on 25m heroic and clear it. This is not the case in Warlords.

The main problem is that even after blizzard said that nothiing will be affected in blizzcon, and multiple tweets, yesterday they said that "we made no promises" and "things might actually get harder". It's a complete 180.

Fjordson

Two bits of disappointing news, at least for me.

Firstly, they had said in Blizzcon that everything you are able to solo now, wlil be soloable after patch 6.00 and in WoD. But now they made a post saying that they have made no promises, and some things could actually get harder. This is in response to some people saying how bosses in wrath and cata that are easily soloable currently, are one shotting them.
Wow. So despite gaining 10 levels, some older stuff will actually be harder than it is now..?

I really love solo'ing old content for mounts. That'll be massively disappointing and obnoxious if true.

Kraftwerk

Wow. So despite gaining 10 levels, some older stuff will actually be harder than it is now..?

I really love solo'ing old content for mounts. That'll be massively disappointing and obnoxious if true.

Here is the post;

We're going through and making adjustments based on this thread, other feedback, and our own internal testing. Some of the issues were pure oversights; others reflect a loophole when it comes to self-inflicted or friendly-fire damage, for which we're working on a comprehensive fix.

I do want to clarify, however, that our changes are only intended to offset the direct effects of the "squish" and our goal has been to make sure that linearizing the item curve between item levels ~60 and 463 doesn't impact the ability to solo legacy content. That is not the same as saying that we guarantee nothing will change, period - we've made a number of adjustments to tank mitigation, healing, defensive cooldowns, and so forth. That's nothing new for an expansion, and in some cases, yes, that will make old content more challenging than it was in 5.4.8, especially for tank specs that could previously use Vengeance to great effect. But that has nothing to do with the item squish.

There is no specific intent or plan for when and whether anything becomes soloable. That's up to you.

We design the content to be appropriately difficult for the original audience at the appropriate level (whether that's a few players in the outdoor world, a dungeon group with a dedicated tank and healer, a full raid group, etc.). Over time, as player power grows through access to higher levels, more powerful gear, new talents, and so forth, content that used to require a group becomes soloable, organically. Some classes (tanks, those with better self-healing, those with pets) will be able to do it sooner than others, but everyone will get there eventually. It might take an extra tier, or even an extra expansion, but that's just the nature of how the power curve works. And if you can't solo something but are interested in a shot at a transmog item, achievement, or rare mount, you can always bring a friend or two.

We don't nerf old content specifically to make it soloable - we occasionally make quality-of-life changes when a mechanic (like Thorim's cleanup that reset the fight if the arena was unoccupied) is artificially preventing players who have the raw power to solo an encounter from doing so. But we don't go back and specifically make old content numerically easier. .

Again, this is his response to people sayin how many, many bosses cannot be killed at lvl 100. Such as the Gunship fight in ICC, which is doing 3x more damage.

Seems that all of this isn't due to the squish, but more to the change in vengeance, healing, damage, mechanics and how the game works overall after 6.00. Seems like blizzard didnt forsee this happening, and since they are already crunching for the release, they cannot spend time to fix it.

Boogdud

These are reports from people who are lvl 100 on beta.

And it isn't expected. They literally said in blizzcon that soloing old raids will not be affected, or even doing it with friends. I can go into ICC with one healer and a DPS on 25m heroic and clear it. This is not the case in Warlords.

The main problem is that even after blizzard said that nothiing will be affected in blizzcon, and multiple tweets, yesterday they said that "we made no promises" and "things might actually get harder". It's a complete 180.

That's a big bunch of bullshit if true. I have yet to try it in the beta, maybe I'll give it a shot. I remember them going so far as saying not only would currently solo'able stuff be unaffected but some of the mechanics that are impossible to solo for certain classes (ICC, etc.) would be changed to allow them to be solo'd.

That really really sucks if true. It's one of the things I enjoy doing currently just for transmog shopping.

TheYanger

Here is the post;

Again, this is his response to people sayin how many, many bosses cannot be killed at lvl 100. Such as the Gunship fight in ICC, which is doing 3x more damage.

Seems that all of this isn't due to the squish, but more to the change in vengeance, healing, damage, mechanics and how the game works overall after 6.00. Seems like blizzard didnt forsee this happening, and since they are already crunching for the release, they cannot spend time to fix it.

The last line of yours is the correct answer - they even had threads asking for feedback about soloability of old content for as long as I was in beta (months ago), so anything they haven't fixed yet is probably on the backburner.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Well, I haven't played the old Raids and I probably won't do it with a party due to how most people are playing level 90 Raids atm (And eventually WoD Raids), but if it's true, that'll suck. I wanted to try solo'ing the shit out of the old Raid content when I get the chance.

Granted, I wasn't playing the game during it's early years (I started like early this month after all),

StMeph

Blizzard changing their minds again?

News at 11.

Sigh.

Soloing old content to farm stuff is something that I like doing, and a major reason why I opted for a DK main when I returned to play the game in MoP after quitting in TBC.

But I don't think it was Blizzard changing their mind, just not caring or taking into account some of the effects that the stat squish and rebalancing would have on outdated content. They said those things because they expected it to be true, but there's no way that it's a high priority for an expansion launch, and given everything that we know about their timeliness and how much stuff is getting cut from WoD, pretty low on the list of things to go back to fix.

Really, the question everything boils down to is, with all of the time they had, and all of the time spend on WoD, there's still THAT much stuff getting cut, and it's supposed to launch in a month and a half? That's what I don't get.

Just adding my two cents that soloing old content that I missed out on is a huge part of the fun I get out of World of Warcraft, like running dungeons alone every day hoping for a mount drop or collecting old raid achievements by myself, etc.

Really hope they don't ruin that.

ampere

Old raid soloing should still be fine. If you can solo it now, you should def be able to solo in Warlords because of the damage bonus to low level creatures. Cata stuff and backwards.

Soloing MoP raids will likely still be tricky and probably only doable by certain classes/specs. Horridon 10 normal is soloable right now by Brewmasters, but it might not be anymore in 6.0. At level 100 we should be able to wreck stuff again. I want to solo ToT up to Ji-kun weekly to go for Horridon/Ji-kun's mounts and MSV for Elegon's mounts. I expect that it will be doable as a tank, but I'll report back when I give it a shot. I know some of those bosses are already soloable, but it's quite a pain at 90.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I spend a lot of my time doing older dungeons/raids. I don't have time to raid so I have fun soloing older stuff when it is easier.

Dreamland Boy

Neo Member
Old raid soloing should still be fine. If you can solo it now, you should def be able to solo in Warlords because of the damage bonus to low level creatures. Cata stuff and backwards..

This does not work on bosses in Dragon Soul in the beta currently. I made a level 100 blood dk, went to Dragon Soul and got wrecked by Morchok. After about 2 minutes he was around 90%. The trash in Dragon Soul was a different story and I 2-3 shot every trash mob.

I didn't try anything but Dragon Soul but I am sure Kraftwerk and others are correct when they say the bonus damage vs lower levels is not applying correctly to bosses as that's the way it currently is in the beta.

I am optimistic it will be fixed at some point though as if it goes live like this the outrage will be hard for blizzard to ignore.

Fjordson

Here is the post;

Man, that sucks. Guess I better get Invincible in the next two months or so....lame lame lame.

Hopefully after the expansion they go back and look at fixing some of it
probably won't

Blizzard changing their minds again?

News at 11.

Sigh.
Off-topic, but this is one of your dopest Eve avatars yet haha

Tacitus_

This does not work on bosses in Dragon Soul in the beta currently. I made a level 100 blood dk, went to Dragon Soul and got wrecked by Morchok. After about 2 minutes he was around 90%. The trash in Dragon Soul was a different story and I 2-3 shot every trash mob.

I didn't try anything but Dragon Soul but I am sure Kraftwerk and others are correct when they say the bonus damage vs lower levels is not applying correctly to bosses as that's the way it currently is in the beta.

I am optimistic it will be fixed at some point though as if it goes live like this the outrage will be hard for blizzard to ignore.

That seems to imply there being something wrong with the boss damage since the DS bosses would be... 88 I think in real levels and if I remember correctly, you need 10 levels on the mob for the scaling to kick in.
Man, that sucks. Guess I better get Invincible in the next two months or so....lame lame lame.

Hopefully after the expansion they go back and look at fixing some of it
probably won't

Off-topic, but this is one of your dopest Eve avatars yet haha

LK should be fine... but I can check it tomorrow evening. (that is, +16 hours from this post)

Kraftwerk

The new Bladefist weapon in Wod.

Goddayum

8uDYOMM.jpg

Fjordson

That seems to imply there being something wrong with the boss damage since the DS bosses would be... 88 I think in real levels and if I remember correctly, you need 10 levels on the mob for the scaling to kick in.

LK should be fine... but I can check it tomorrow evening. (that is, +16 hours from this post)
Ooh, that'd be majorly appreciated man. Thanks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All the fist weapons have looked good on NPCs and whatnot in beta, and it's about time. The majority of fist weapons look shitty.

My main has been transmogd to that shitty texture quality Bladefist from SH and Fist of the Deity forever because there's no better options for the Dark Shaman set. It sucks that there's no CM Fist Weapon for WoD. Only so many times you can transmog the Fist of Molten Fury.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14277488311?page=8#157

I should have phrased my initial post(s) better. The intent certainly wasn't a blanket dismissal of concerns about new difficulties with soloing content that you can handle easily in 5.4.

Right now, there is a known bug (for which we should have a fix in an upcoming build) that is causing raid bosses (especially in Cataclysm content) to be more challenging for level 90 players than is the intent. There are also specific issues with encounters that we're still hand-adjusting (Gunship in Icecrown, notably). That will get sorted out. The overwhelming majority of players shouldn't see any negative impact to their legacy content experience when they go from 5.4 to 6.0.

The sole exception here, which is what I was clarifying, is that if there's an encounter that you can just barely solo as a tank spec on live today, it's quite possible that you won't quite be able to do so in 6.0. It's also possible that something you can solo comfortably today might be slightly harder in 6.0, but still doable. But that's because of basic changes to self-healing and the potency of tank cooldowns, and not anything related to our item or stat changes. And in any case, I'm talking about smaller differences here, not something like getting destroyed by Morchok when you can solo him easily on live, which is the result of a bug.

That makes me feel a bit better.

Kraftwerk

Jesus, couldn't he have said that in the first place? if wasn't even that he phrased it wrong initially. He basically said they made no promises and deal with it. he went from that to "chill out guys its a bug"

iirate

Jesus, couldn't he have said that in the first place? if wasn't even that he phrased it wrong initially. He basically said they made no promises and deal with it. he went from that to "chill out guys its a bug"

Maybe he wasn't aware of the specific issues. I've seen d3 blues respond to threads about one issue thinking that the players are talking about another, even when the thread itself says otherwise.

Kraftwerk

It also would've helped if netizens wouldn't have read it like the devil reading the bible.

Maybe he wasn't aware of the specific issues. I've seen d3 blues respond to threads about one issue thinking that the players are talking about another, even when the thread itself says otherwise.

eh, That whole thread is filled with people saying how bosses are one shotting them at 100, and his response saying how this is how its gonna be was after all of those. No one really overreacted. Just baffled that he literally said "no promises were made" and yet they were made.

Anyway, I guess no point arguing anymore. Glad it is a bug that iwll be fixed.

I must one Mimiron's Head one day. Killed him 150 times by now.

Fjordson

Uhm, I may have to go back on that, my beta client is stuck "waiting for another update to finish" while I have no other updates running. I'll see if I can solve it tomorrow.
Haha, no worries mang.

Yeah, bit of a miscommunication there. I still have some old mounts that I'm determined to get (mainly Invincible).

(also love the Twigs avatar!)

So, I played WoW back in the BC days. Haven't played since. I was really into the raiding scene, but I dropped it right before WotLK came out. I started playing Destiny and did their raid, and it made me realize how much I miss and appreciate how good Blizzard's raid design has always been.

Thinking about giving WoW another go with WoD. Couple questions:

1) Can I get my old character back? Not that it matters with the level 90 boost, but I had a bunch of the old BC shit unlocked that would be nice to keep just for nostalgia purposes. I haven't touched the character since before WotLK was even out though, so it's pretty old.

2) What's the subscription fee like nowadays?

3) Has the raid / dungeon design gotten better or worse since BC?

4) Is it possible to raid in current WoW without being super hardcore? Like maybe 5-10 hours a week of total playtime?

Nista

8/9 Gold on CMs now.

Got SSB done earlier which took a while...

Spent a good two hours wiping and resetting due to people dying to random stuff.
(Not to mention we burned through about 20 Charges on my Drums of Speed.)

Finally got Gold on it though despite the run almost ending in disaster.
(Arms Warrior died right before the boss pull; managed to get him up and burn the boss down fairly quick.)

Apparently, I've put together a pretty damn good set for CMs, since I'm usually doing lots of DPS or top on Damage on a boss fight.
Certainly not BiS, but performs really well enough to where I'm not lacking in DPS.

You guys are inspiring me to try to work on CMs before 6.0. Though I'm fine with only getting silvers, since I don't much care for the shaman transmog set.

Is it worth trying to use oqueue for this as a dps? My guild has done a couple, but it's tough getting people together during the week with raids going on., so I'm worried about getting the harder ones done before the patch.

Fjordson

So, I played WoW back in the BC days. Haven't played since. I was really into the raiding scene, but I dropped it right before WotLK came out. I started playing Destiny and did their raid, and it made me realize how much I miss and appreciate how good Blizzard's raid design has always been.

1) Can I get my old character back? Not that it matters with the level 90 boost, but I had a bunch of the old BC shit unlocked that would be nice to keep just for nostalgia purposes. I haven't touched the character since before WotLK was even out though, so it's pretty old.

4) Is it possible to raid in current WoW without being super hardcore? Like maybe 5-10 hours a week of total playtime?

1) did you delete the old characters? If not, then they'll absolutely all be waiting for you. So long as you can track down your old account info.

2) generally the same as far as I know. $15 a month. Works out as less than that if you buy time in bulk.

3) raids are better in my opinion. Though you missed some of their best ever in Wrath (mainly Ulduar and Icecrown). But their latest raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, was pretty damn good. Dungeons are good also, but their function isn't as solidified as raids. Since new raids get put out over the course of every expansion, raiding continues to be the main end-game activity in PvE. With dungeons, they're static after their initial release, so MoP's dungeons became completely trivial over time. They're definitely well-made and a blast to go through, but they aren't a challenge after a while.

4) absolutely. I mean heroic raiding (mythic raiding in WoD) would be a challenge with a casual schedule, but you can see all of the content at a decent difficulty level without committing a large amount of time to the game.

1) did you delete the old characters? If not, then they'll absolutely all be waiting for you. So long as you can track down your old account info.

2) generally the same as far as I know. $15 a month. Works out as less than that if you buy time in bulk.

3) raids are better in my opinion. Though you missed some of their best ever in Wrath (mainly Ulduar and Icecrown). But their latest raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, was pretty damn good. Dungeons are good also, but their function isn't as solidified as raids. Since new raids get put out over the course of every expansion, raiding continues to be the main end-game activity in PvE. With dungeons, they're static after their initial release, so MoP's dungeons became completely trivial over time. They're definitely well-made and a blast to go through, but they aren't a challenge after a while.

4) absolutely. I mean heroic raiding (mythic raiding in WoD) would be a challenge with a casual schedule, but you can see all of the content at a decent difficulty level without committing a large amount of time to the game.

If I log into my account on battle.net, I can see my level 70 character in the list, but when I click him it says "Ooops, character profile could not be displayed". Does this mean that I definitely did not delete him, and he's salvageable? One of the possible reasons given is "character has been inactive for an extended period of time" but another possible reason is "Characters that have been deleted are no longer available.". So I'm not sure if seeing him in this list guarantees that he can be recovered.

Also, are name changes and world transfers possible?

Fjordson

If I log into my account on battle.net, I can see my level 70 character in the list, but when I click him it says "Ooops, character profile could not be displayed". Does this mean that I definitely did not delete him, and he's salvageable? One of the possible reasons given is "character has been inactive for an extended period of time" but another possible reason is "Characters that have been deleted are no longer available.". So I'm not sure if seeing him in this list guarantees that he can be recovered.

Also, are name changes and world transfers possible?
Hmmm. Well if you didn't delete him, then it's because your account has been inactive. Once you reactivate your subscription then he'll be there because I know Blizzard never deletes characters.

And yes, both are possible. As well as race and faction changes.

ampere

You guys are inspiring me to try to work on CMs before 6.0. Though I'm fine with only getting silvers, since I don't much care for the shaman transmog set.

Is it worth trying to use oqueue for this as a dps? My guild has done a couple, but it's tough getting people together during the week with raids going on., so I'm worried about getting the harder ones done before the patch.

Yes you should go for it! Watch videos first to get a feel for the strats.

And I recommend that you play Elemental spec for CMs, it gives 3 buffs, heroism/lust, has a stun and great damage.

Ultratech

AFAIK there aren't going to be any armor type restrictions on transmog sets like these or the guard outfits. So a mage or priest can run around in guard outfits if they so choose.

Went and looked it up on Wowhead.

The Orc Clan sets are sorted by armor type and BoA.

For the Guard sets, they're just listed as Cosmetic and also BoA.

The new Bladefist weapon in Wod.

Goddayum

Welp, time to respec as Enhancement!

As mentioned, watch the videos first to get an idea what to do.

Silver isn't too bad as far as time goes, and you don't have to go super fast through stuff.

Hi GAF.

I'm planning to return in WOD(I stopped playing late in Cata) but I'm having trouble recovering my account(unless I'm overlooking something)

I lost my old phone where my authenticator was installed, some friends say I should have the authenticator serial, Problem is I don't recall it being that way back then, IIRC I only have to key in 2 or 3 consecutive codes to confirm and remove authenticator back when I used to play.

Any Idea where I should start? Thanks.

Hi GAF.

I'm planning to return in WOD(I stopped playing late in Cata) but I'm having trouble recovering my account(unless I'm overlooking something)

I lost my old phone where my authenticator was installed, some friends say I should have the authenticator serial, Problem is I don't recall it being that way back then, IIRC I only have to key in 2 or 3 consecutive codes to confirm and remove authenticator back when I used to play.

Any Idea where I should start? Thanks.

Talk to support. They'll be able to remove your authenticator (at least temporarily - you'll want to put one back on once you've recovered the account). Might have to fax your Drivers License or something though. Start here and it's pretty step-by-step: https://us.battle.net/support/en/

Anyway since we're sharing UI screenshots, here's an old one for funsies, Cata era, I'll post a more current one later:

I was probably in the middle of adjusting the healthbar in the center of the screen. I had a good chuckle at the guild chat about archaeology in the bottom corner :p

I can dig even further if you guys want to see some horrors. Got some Wrath ones that I'm sure are pretty bad.

Bonus:
http://imgur.com/GV8DVlt Tuk/ElvUI experiment in Cata again? Might be Wrath

They don't delete old characters, but if you deleted it there's a good chance you can get it back. I deleted my 60 druid about WoW year 2 and had it restored in like Cataclysm or WOTLK, whenever they allowed both factions on the same server.

2. 15$/month for US, they're raising it in Europe to some other price.

3. I didn't really raid but they removed attunements, mat farming. The encounters themselves have gotten more sophisticated yeah.

4. You could probably do normal for 5-8 hours a week, unsure about heroic guilds, but they probably expect you to farm mats and min max for every hour.

Wunder

Did some Brawler's Guild stuff today, really good fun. Am I too late to get the card achievements? There's some that need like Battle Pet and Darkmoon Faire stuff, and I doubt I can finish all that in the next two weeks, right?

Two bits of disappointing news, at least for me.

Firstly, they had said in Blizzcon that everything you are able to solo now, wlil be soloable after patch 6.00 and in WoD. But now they made a post saying that they have made no promises, and some things could actually get harder. This is in response to some people saying how bosses in wrath and cata that are easily soloable currently, are one shotting them.

And secondly, after hyping Brawlers Guilds season 2 so much by constantly sayin to do them fo achievements and removal of items, and now they just said that there are no new bosses or challenge cards. Just a reshuffling of the currents ones.

Seriously. Blizzard has been really getting lazy over the years.

Wait what? Soling is going to be harder? Wtf.

Peachpies

Wait what? Soling is going to be harder? Wtf.
Only more recent stuff where you would have wanted healing/cooldowns to do the fight will really be affected. The Majority of old content though will not do enough damage that you would even need healing and so that stuff isn't going to be any harder, but there is currently some bugs on the beta which got some people worried.

Ultratech

I did it!

Finished MSP after about 2 1/2 Hours and got 9/9 Gold!

But man, we could not have cut it any closer.
We literally hit 12:00 right as we killed the last boss and got the achivement.

Was some seriously crazy shit.

I'll have to put up a pic of the Transmog tomorrow because I have barely any room for more items, so I gotta do some cleaning up.

I don't think I'm gonna attempt CMs on my DK, so I'm prolly just gonna chill out until 6.0 hits.

Might try to do Green Fire for my Lock, but if I don't get it done, it's not the end of the world.

Yeah. Just caught up on the replies. That "I misspoke" shit sounds like something a politician would say.

Got my mage to 90. Going to try cms tomorrow. Rogue will be next. That will give me DK paladin warrior lock, mage and rogue.

I think I may level a shaman next. What's a good leveling spec for them?

Dresden

Can't go wrong with enhance for leveling.

If I resub tomorrow I can get the horde chopper... but I no longer play Horde. I'll just save my money.

Guess that's what I'll do. What heirlooms are good for elemental? I have the ones from the guild vendor but will blow jp on the other ones I would need. I assume shield hammer for the weapons. Do I want to go with mama trinkets?

Peachpies

Can't go wrong with enhance for leveling.

If I resub tomorrow I can get the horde chopper... but I no longer play Horde. I'll just save my money.
You could try attaching a starter wow account to your battle.net account and login with that. Also Jay Wilson on design team :( prepare for bad expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom