• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a good "getting started" guide for someone who hasn't played since BC? I'm going to re-activate my character, but I'm sure it's a completely different game. I'm going to fire it up and be in the middle of Shattrath and have no idea what's new, changed, deleted, where any of the towns are, how to get from level 70 to level 90, or anything else.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Now that I reached 45 yesterday (Thanks to my friend and I doing some dungeons), I'll be outleveling Eastern Plaguelands in no time. Any good zones that are above level 45 should I visit? I'm still fine with doing mostly dungeons to level myself to 60, I just wanna visit more zones. :p

Edit: And doesn't matter if it has to be Eastern Kingdoms. It can be either Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms for my road to level 60. ;)

Wunder

Guess that's what I'll do. What heirlooms are good for elemental? I have the ones from the guild vendor but will blow jp on the other ones I would need. I assume shield hammer for the weapons. Do I want to go with mama trinkets?

The Int Mail ones for your armor, the Elements set looks amazing and is one of the cooler looking heirlooms. I would go with the Staff just because you dont really need the spirit off the shield or the extra armor for levelling, so I think you're better off trading the spirit for Crit or whatever. I'd probably go one mana one haste if you have those, but I'm not really sure how good haste is for elemental

M.D

So I'm downloading the PTR to test how balance druid will feel in the next patch and play with other classes at 90

I downloaded the PTR client through the website and now its downloading in the client, but it says PTR: Mists of Pandaria

Is it supposed to say that?

The Int Mail ones for your armor, the Elements set looks amazing and is one of the cooler looking heirlooms. I would go with the Staff just because you dont really need the spirit off the shield or the extra armor for levelling, so I think you're better off trading the spirit for Crit or whatever. I'd probably go one mana one haste if you have those, but I'm not really sure how good haste is for elemental

The staff that mages and locks use or the one that looks like it's for priests?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
So I'm downloading the PTR to test how balance druid will feel in the next patch and play with other classes at 90

I downloaded the PTR client through the website and now its downloading in the client, but it says PTR: Mists of Pandaria

Is it supposed to say that?

Yes

Karl Hawk

Banned

Somehow, I'm kinda upset about this news. For me, ever since that incident, I don't take that guy lightly.

Anyways, can someone be nice enough to answer my question several posts above?
Now that I reached 45 yesterday (Thanks to my friend and I doing some dungeons), I'll be outleveling Eastern Plaguelands in no time. Any good zones that are above level 45 should I visit? I'm still fine with doing mostly dungeons to level myself to 60, I just wanna visit more zones. :p

Edit: And doesn't matter if it has to be Eastern Kingdoms. It can be either Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms for my road to level 60. ;)

Tamanon

Banned
Somehow, I'm kinda upset about this news. For me, ever since that incident, I don't take that guy lightly.

Anyways, can someone be nice enough to answer my question several posts above?

I really enjoyed doing Felwood from 45-50, or Un'Goro Crater had some nice work done on it.

Doesn't seem like a major role for Jay Wilson.

How much of an influence was he on D3's systems anyway? Ghostcrawler claims his design team was a collaborative effort, I don't think Jay Wilson's D3 was purely a solo effort, RMAH didn't really look like a gameplay decision to me... Dawn of War is also a fantastic game that he lead designed.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Speaking of Brawler's guilds - I got the "Now You're Just Showing Off" Achievement and collected some of the cards. Just need 3-4 more, all of which I am going to hate getting - farming mobs in Northern Barrens, Archaeology, the Tiller's Farm and the Darkmoon Faire dailies. So I have to wait to next week to finish :(

Totalriot

Speaking of Brawler's guilds - I got the "Now You're Just Showing Off" Achievement and collected some of the cards. Just need 3-4 more, all of which I am going to hate getting - farming mobs in Northern Barrens, Archaeology, the Tiller's Farm and the Darkmoon Faire dailies. So I have to wait to next week to finish :(

Good luck with those! I am still missing the cards from my farm and the Darkmoon Faire. Based on my pervious experience I do not have much hopes that I will get either of those before 6.0.2 hits...

Entropia

No One Remembers
Good luck with those! I am still missing the cards from my farm and the Darkmoon Faire. Based on my pervious experience I do not have much hopes that I will get either of those before 6.0.2 hits...

Thanks!

I don't think getting Ty'thar should be too difficult.
The other 3 I am worried about. Next week is pretty much the last chance at getting the Blind Hero card before 6.0.2 :(

(Chances are, 6.0.2 is coming immediately the week after)

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Sure. But is that really the make or break feature for you?

I doubt it.
I resubscribed after two years of not playing to get some of the things they're removing done (Brawlers', Cape, Green Fire, etc.)

To hear they are removing the Brawler's Guild only to add the exact same thing in a different order as a replacement for it is insulting.

There was probably about a 50% chance I wasn't going to buy it anyway, so it's not like this changed anything major. I'm just not very excited for it.

ampere

I did it!

Finished MSP after about 2 1/2 Hours and got 9/9 Gold!

Congrats, that's awesome :) Post some pictures of your xmog.

Yeah. Just caught up on the replies. That "I misspoke" shit sounds like something a politician would say.

Well he didn't misspeak about some stuff becoming harder, but he wasn't taking the bug into account for his statement. Not sure why people have to make it all political... bugs happen.

Also Jay Wilson on design team :( prepare for bad expansion.

Eh, he's not a lead or anything. Just listed as "other designers". I doubt if Blizzard gives him a lead role again after Diablo, though Diablo still sold really well so who knows.

Felspawn

Eh, he's not a lead or anything. Just listed as "other designers". I doubt if Blizzard gives him a lead role again after Diablo, though Diablo still sold really well so who knows.

People just like to bitch, or want something to fail so point out anything that could be considered a fault

People just like to bitch, or want something to fail so point out anything that could be considered a fault

Well, with Titan cancelled the most positive outcome is that the credit lines start trending towards people with a relatively successful background at Blizzard in the coming years.

Wilson is not one of those people, but his impact is likely much less than anyone really needs to be concerned about.

Entropia

No One Remembers
PvP Season 15 ending soon, aka patch 6.0.2 in a couple weeks.

After many grueling bouts in the Arenas and Battlegrounds, the time has nearly come to see who will reign supreme in this action-packed PvP season. Prepare to fight your last battles, and remember—to the victors go the spoils!

Arena and Rated Battleground Season 15 will be coming to an end in a couple of weeks. Once the season wraps, we'll begin an approximately two week process to determine end-of-season reward eligibility.

Qualified players should note the following in order to ensure you receive your just rewards:

Please refrain from transferring your characters to another realm or faction until after PvP Season 15 has ended.
PvP Season 15 titles and mounts will be awarded approximately two weeks after the season ends.

Conquest Points will be converted to Honor Points at the end of the season, and any Honor above 4,000 will be converted to in-game currency at a rate of 35 silver per point. A few other things to keep in mind once the season has ended:

The Honor cap will remain at 4,000.
Season 15 items with rating requirements will no longer be available for purchase.
Rated Battleground and Arena matches will not be available during the break between seasons.

Best of luck, gladiators!

TheYanger

I resubscribed after two years of not playing to get some of the things they're removing done (Brawlers', Cape, Green Fire, etc.)

To hear they are removing the Brawler's Guild only to add the exact same thing in a different order as a replacement for it is insulting.

There was probably about a 50% chance I wasn't going to buy it anyway, so it's not like this changed anything major. I'm just not very excited for it.

They're specifically removing/reshuffling the fights to make room to add more to the rotation. Just like how they removed the 8th tier when 5.3 came out so that they could add more fights.

Also, moving them around changes some of them COMPLETELY. I bet most people could not tell you how the mechanics of the first 3-4 tiers of fights worked at all, if those fights are suddenly tier 7 fights, that becomes a lot harder and different in many ways.

For instance, they already mentioned Bruce at rank 5, I'm not sure about that fight specifically (he really only had the one mechanic) but it's a whole different ballgame if he's suddenly a DPS check instead of just 'don't stand in chomp the one time he does it'

I'm actually super excited to see a remixed Brawler's Guild, because there were so many early fights with neat mechanics that just didn't matter. It'd be a waste to just remove those (I think a slowly changing roster over time makes more sense than just overhauling it every time they do anything to it also fwiw).

Is there a good "getting started" guide for someone who hasn't played since BC? I'm going to re-activate my character, but I'm sure it's a completely different game. I'm going to fire it up and be in the middle of Shattrath and have no idea what's new, changed, deleted, where any of the towns are, how to get from level 70 to level 90, or anything else.

I'm not sure there is a good guide specific to BC players ( There are guides for fresh to 90 players, like I posted about a page back).

I can try to do a quick rundown since there seem to be a lot of folks coming and posting over the past week interested in checking the game out that quit a LONG time ago. Will take a bit to write up.

Entropia

No One Remembers
T
I'm actually super excited to see a remixed Brawler's Guild, because there were so many early fights with neat mechanics that just didn't matter. It'd be a waste to just remove those (I think a slowly changing roster over time makes more sense than just overhauling it every time they do anything to it also fwiw).

Doing the challenge cards + the four "hard" ones, I had no idea what the mechanics were.

Ascendance -> Don't stand in shit -> Blow up the mob.

The only one that took me a few tries was Milhouse Manastorm because I was a goof and didn't stand in the crystals to get the buff.

Congrats, that's awesome :) Post some pictures of your xmog.

Well he didn't misspeak about some stuff becoming harder, but he wasn't taking the bug into account for his statement. Not sure why people have to make it all political... bugs happen.

There's a certain lack of clarity that blizzard has put out since WoD. It's interesting to me that they seem so oblivious to the things that some of their paying customers want, and they tend to go way overboard in one direction or another.

I know what you mean when some people like to bitch, I'm not one of them. Doing old content is THE reason I stay subbed. It lets me get into most every nook and cranny the game has, and it adds a level of challenge depending on where I'm going or what I"m doing that I find insanely enjoyable. The idea that they were going to be like "Fuck it, ya'll eat a dick" after they had gone out of their way at blizzcon to tell people the stat squish wouldn't stop people like me from doing old raids is annoying. Yes, the clarified and I'm glad it's not that way, but this is just another example of blizz not having it together when they really should. After losing half my sub numbers I wouldn't want to antagonize the community that kept me collecting checks, especially when that community is only going to shrink going forward.

TheYanger

Yanger's Quick Rundown for Returning and New Players:

Welcome to my quick guide to help you get back into the swing of WoW! This is going to focus primarily on Warlords of Draenor, I'll try to note where those things that are changing from the current climate are so that you don't get too confused if you're already interacting with those systems.

We'll start with the super basics, and then we'll move on to endgame activities. Every section will have a brief rundown for when you quit the game how it has changed, if it doesn't list anything for your era, it hasn't changed drastically.

Classes
Whether you're new or returning, classes in this game have a lot of diversity and it may take you some trying to figure out mechanics and which one fits you the best, I recommend just trying what sounds fun initially. As much as we still use the word rotation, there is no such thing as a 'rotation' in the traditional sense anymore. Everyone has priority systems. If you ever feel like you're just hitting 2 buttons, you're most likely doing it wrong (Or the class is very badly tuned for low levels, but that hasn't been the case in my experience). Expect most complexity to be revealed sometime in the 70s or 80s.

If you Quit in Vanilla or BC: Class Balance is an entirely different beast than it used to be. Everyone can DPS and do it reasonably well (Even at a raid level), there are many viable tanks, many viable healers, in general the capabilities of the classes are closer than they ever were back in the day. Class complexity is vastly higher than it was back then (The more complex classes like Rogues and Warlocks are the norm rather than the exception).
Nearly every class has more complex resource management and sometimes multiple resources to manage now.

If you Quit in Wrath: Most classes have more complex resource management than when you played, all specs are at least somewhat viable compared to Wrath.

Death Knight: Tank, DPS. A two resource class with Runes and Runic Power, you spend one resource to build the other, and lots of procs. They are no longer 'can spec anything for any role' as they were in Wrath and now Blood tanks, Frost is a fast paced actiony dps spec, and Unholy is a methodical thinking man's DPS spec.

Druid:
Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS. The only class that can be any role. Resource management depends on the class, tanks use a semi fast paced rage build and dump setup. Melee use Energy and Combo Points like Rogue (And are noted for their John Madden complex rotation). Ranged DPS use a sort of ebb and flow Eclipse Bar where you cycle through lunar and solar phases and use different spells to move it from day and night. Healers still focus a lot on HOTs and Area healing.

Hunter: Ranged DPS. Overhauled completely during Cataclysm, they no longer have Mana and now use a resource called Focus, which regenerates on its own but you actively can force regeneration by using a filler spell (Steady Shot/Cobra Shot). Pets can fill in any buff or debuff your group needs, making them extremely versatile. The three specs are pretty similar on a basic level, they just spend their focus in different ways. Warlords offers a talent to play a petless variant if you so choose, but it's probably not always going to be the best choice if you don't like pet management.

Mage: Ranged DPS. The three specs play slightly differently than they used to. Arcane cares a lot about mana management as it does more damage the more mana you have, but it also spends the most. It has a lot of peaks and valleys. Fire tends to be very streaky and crit dependent, if you like rolling the dice and seeing how you do (Within reason, there are safeguard mechanics to ensure you don't go TOO long on a cold streak) then Fire is for you. Frost is probably the most traditional playstyle, though it has a permanent pet these days (Water Elemental).

Monk:
Melee DPS, Tank, Healer. The new class in Mists of Pandaria, I'm assuming most people using this guide haven't played one, so I'll get this out of the way: They are awful to play at low levels and have a VERY involved kit of abilities, the basic gameplay for tanks and DPS revolve around Chi and Energy, which is similar to a rogue, but it's faster paced most of the time. Windwalkers are pretty what-you-see-is-what-you-get. they've been challenging to play but mostly due to eccentricities of the class, but it is a lot of fun. Tanks have a LOT of abilities but it's all pretty well designed, and they've been the strongest tank for the entire MoP expansion due to their versatility and scaling. Healers rely on Mana and Chi rather than Energy, and were weak a lot of the time in MoP but when they shined were really strong. They have a lot of uncontrolled healing like healing spheres and Renewing Mists (Floats between targets to blanket the raid sort of like druids used to do with Rejuv, and then you Uplift and heal everyone that has it on them), but they also have a fun DPS/Healing hybrid that is being more fleshed out in Warlords to make balance a bit easier.

Paladin: Tank, Melee DPS, Healer. Paladins have changed a lot since the early days - Blessings are now seperated into Hands and Blessings, the Blessings last an hour and are just standard buffs you barely worry about, and Hands represent the shorter term more 'cooldown' type blessings, IE: BoP is now HoP. Justice is now a Hand. Salvation is a short term buff that dumps a LOT of threat on someone, things like that. All Paladins now use a Resource called Holy Power, which is a sort of combo pointish system. Tanks and Melee don't rely on their Mana very much, so Holy Power is their primary resource, along with the Cooldowns of their abilities. Building and spending Holy Power much like Combo points. Healing Paladins excel at single target healing (as they always have) and having very high survivability.

Priest: Ranged DPS, Healer. Priests are still the most versatile healers, as the only class that has two healing specs still. Shadow is a spec that I'm not really sure how it is changing in Warlords, but in MoP it tends to do low single target damage, and excel at multitarget fights. It's basically a spec based around dots and building Shadow Orbs that you then unleash into large single target nukes or dots. Holy spec is a standard healing spec, with a very diverse toolkit (Hots, AE heals, single target heals, strong cooldowns), and Discipline is a ridiculous spec based on shielding people pre-emptively, also with a lot of powerful cooldowns. Disc can also be a semi-DPS spec at times where their damage can heal, much like Monks.

Rogue:
Melee DPS. Very similar to how they used to be in Vanilla or BC, but with a lot of procs thrown in to all of the specs to make the rotations more dynamic. Combat excels at cleaving, Subtlety likes to use large single hits, and Assassination relies on poisons. Poison itself is no longer crafted, and you get 1 damage poison and 1 utility poison at any time (There's just a 'poison' button that expands out to list them all and you click the ones you want). They are probably the best class at avoiding damage and other mechanics in the game, and they are almost always a top DPS contender. Hard to imagine a world where rogues aren't highly desired anymore.

Shaman: Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Healer. Shaman play pretty differently depending on the spec you want, they are among the highest burst dps in the game however and tend to excel at burst dps phases of fights, or things like Challenge Modes. The melee spec is very fast paced, building and spending stacks of Maelstrom quickly and utilizing a procs. Elemental is a very strong cleave spec, working best on a medium amount of targets. Resto is still a sort of cleave-y healer, working best on clumped groups of medium amounts of targets, but also having some nice utility (increasing max HP of the raid when they're actively healing people).

Warlock: Ranged DPS. They've changed a lot over the past two expansions, all of their specs are much more differentiated than before and use different resource systems. Affliction is still heavily DoT based, they have a soul shard mechanic much like all locks had in Cataclysm: You gain souls from draining and use them to unleash more powerful versions of spells. Destruction is based around fire and huge hits - you gain Embers from burning your targets, and you spend them to do things like copy all spells (for cleaving) or unleash Chaos Bolts which are one of the hardest single nukes in the game. Demonology is based around Demonic Fury, which you build up through your normal rotation spells and then use to transform into a Demon form where you gain different abilities.

Warrior
: Melee DPS, Tank. they still rely on Rage. Protection has a really strong kit with solid active mitigation, Fury and Arms are both being changed a lot in Warlords (And Prot is getting a DPS subspec), right now they rely on getting Colossus Smash up (you ignore armor for 6 seconds) and then unleashing as much damage as possible in that window.

Beyond the basic class changes, there are some general notes for roles:

DPS - Not much to say here. Kill stuff.

Tanks - Vengeance is a new mechanic (Replaced by a less broken one in WoD called Resolve) which is basically meant to let tank damage scale at the same rate as DPS do. Vengeance instead lets tanks crush DPS on most raid bosses, hence why it is being removed. Basically, the more damage you take, the more damage you do (With some limitations). Resolve is going to let you get the defensive benefits of Vengeance, without making it appealing to stand in fire to do more dps. That brings us to...Active Mitigation. You might hear this word some, all of the tanks now have a more active role in how much damage they take. You don't just stand there and get healed, you have buttons to press that aren't long cooldowns. Death Knights heal themselves and shield themselves with Death Strike, Warriors have a very short cooldown Shield Block that absorbs damage, as well as a Shield Barrier to burn excess rage. Druids have a rage dump to increase their dodge to astronomical levels. Monks stagger percentages of their incoming damage and then use Purifying Brew to remove the remainder (Which turns into a dot on them otherwise). Paladins spend Holy Power to either heal themselves or block incoming damage.

Healers - Mana is standardized now, which affects healers more than anyone else. Gearing up no longer increases your actual mana pool (In MoP it is ALWAYS 300k unless there's a talent or something that increases it). This means what actually improves as you gear up are heal efficiencies (they hit harder so you cast less) and your spirit which gives you regen. Many classes have active mana regen they can utilize, such as Mana Tea for monks or Rapture for Disc Priests.

Wow, that was longer than I expected, and perhaps more than necessary. I'll try to keep the next parts a bit shorter, the ones with actual systems.

Yanger's Quick Rundown for Returning and New Players:

Welcome to my quick guide to help you get back into the swing of WoW! This is going to focus primarily on Warlords of Draenor, I'll try to note where those things that are changing from the current climate are so that you don't get too confused if you're already interacting with those systems.

We'll start with the super basics, and then we'll move on to endgame activities. Every section will have a brief rundown for when you quit the game how it has changed, if it doesn't list anything for your era, it hasn't changed drastically.

Classes
Whether you're new or returning, classes in this game have a lot of diversity and it may take you some trying to figure out mechanics and which one fits you the best, I recommend just trying what sounds fun initially. As much as we still use the word rotation, there is no such thing as a 'rotation' in the traditional sense anymore. Everyone has priority systems. If you ever feel like you're just hitting 2 buttons, you're most likely doing it wrong (Or the class is very badly tuned for low levels, but that hasn't been the case in my experience). Expect most complexity to be revealed sometime in the 70s or 80s.

If you Quit in Vanilla or BC: Class Balance is an entirely different beast than it used to be. Everyone can DPS and do it reasonably well (Even at a raid level), there are many viable tanks, many viable healers, in general the capabilities of the classes are closer than they ever were back in the day. Class complexity is vastly higher than it was back then (The more complex classes like Rogues and Warlocks are the norm rather than the exception).
Nearly every class has more complex resource management and sometimes multiple resources to manage now.

If you Quit in Wrath: Most classes have more complex resource management than when you played, all specs are at least somewhat viable compared to Wrath.

Death Knight: Tank, DPS. A two resource class with Runes and Runic Power, you spend one resource to build the other, and lots of procs. They are no longer 'can spec anything for any role' as they were in Wrath and now Blood tanks, Frost is a fast paced actiony dps spec, and Unholy is a methodical thinking man's DPS spec.

Druid:
Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS. The only class that can be any role. Resource management depends on the class, tanks use a semi fast paced rage build and dump setup. Melee use Energy and Combo Points like Rogue (And are noted for their John Madden complex rotation). Ranged DPS use a sort of ebb and flow Eclipse Bar where you cycle through lunar and solar phases and use different spells to move it from day and night. Healers still focus a lot on HOTs and Area healing.

Hunter: Ranged DPS. Overhauled completely during Cataclysm, they no longer have Mana and now use a resource called Focus, which regenerates on its own but you actively can force regeneration by using a filler spell (Steady Shot/Cobra Shot). Pets can fill in any buff or debuff your group needs, making them extremely versatile. The three specs are pretty similar on a basic level, they just spend their focus in different ways. Warlords offers a talent to play a petless variant if you so choose, but it's probably not always going to be the best choice if you don't like pet management.

Mage: Ranged DPS. The three specs play slightly differently than they used to. Arcane cares a lot about mana management as it does more damage the more mana you have, but it also spends the most. It has a lot of peaks and valleys. Fire tends to be very streaky and crit dependent, if you like rolling the dice and seeing how you do (Within reason, there are safeguard mechanics to ensure you don't go TOO long on a cold streak) then Fire is for you. Frost is probably the most traditional playstyle, though it has a permanent pet these days (Water Elemental).

Monk:
Melee DPS, Tank, Healer. The new class in Mists of Pandaria, I'm assuming most people using this guide haven't played one, so I'll get this out of the way: They are awful to play at low levels and have a VERY involved kit of abilities, the basic gameplay for tanks and DPS revolve around Chi and Energy, which is similar to a rogue, but it's faster paced most of the time. Windwalkers are pretty what-you-see-is-what-you-get. they've been challenging to play but mostly due to eccentricities of the class, but it is a lot of fun. Tanks have a LOT of abilities but it's all pretty well designed, and they've been the strongest tank for the entire MoP expansion due to their versatility and scaling. Healers rely on Mana and Chi rather than Energy, and were weak a lot of the time in MoP but when they shined were really strong. They have a lot of uncontrolled healing like healing spheres and Renewing Mists (Floats between targets to blanket the raid sort of like druids used to do with Rejuv, and then you Uplift and heal everyone that has it on them), but they also have a fun DPS/Healing hybrid that is being more fleshed out in Warlords to make balance a bit easier.

Paladin: Tank, Melee DPS, Healer. Paladins have changed a lot since the early days - Blessings are now seperated into Hands and Blessings, the Blessings last an hour and are just standard buffs you barely worry about, and Hands represent the shorter term more 'cooldown' type blessings, IE: BoP is now HoP. Justice is now a Hand. Salvation is a short term buff that dumps a LOT of threat on someone, things like that. All Paladins now use a Resource called Holy Power, which is a sort of combo pointish system. Tanks and Melee don't rely on their Mana very much, so Holy Power is their primary resource, along with the Cooldowns of their abilities. Building and spending Holy Power much like Combo points. Healing Paladins excel at single target healing (as they always have) and having very high survivability.

Priest: Ranged DPS, Healer. Priests are still the most versatile healers, as the only class that has two healing specs still. Shadow is a spec that I'm not really sure how it is changing in Warlords, but in MoP it tends to do low single target damage, and excel at multitarget fights. It's basically a spec based around dots and building Shadow Orbs that you then unleash into large single target nukes or dots. Holy spec is a standard healing spec, with a very diverse toolkit (Hots, AE heals, single target heals, strong cooldowns), and Discipline is a ridiculous spec based on shielding people pre-emptively, also with a lot of powerful cooldowns. Disc can also be a semi-DPS spec at times where their damage can heal, much like Monks.

Rogue:
Melee DPS. Very similar to how they used to be in Vanilla or BC, but with a lot of procs thrown in to all of the specs to make the rotations more dynamic. Combat excels at cleaving, Subtlety likes to use large single hits, and Assassination relies on poisons. Poison itself is no longer crafted, and you get 1 damage poison and 1 utility poison at any time (There's just a 'poison' button that expands out to list them all and you click the ones you want). They are probably the best class at avoiding damage and other mechanics in the game, and they are almost always a top DPS contender. Hard to imagine a world where rogues aren't highly desired anymore.

Warlock: Ranged DPS. They've changed a lot over the past two expansions, all of their specs are much more differentiated than before and use different resource systems. Affliction is still heavily DoT based, they have a soul shard mechanic much like all locks had in Cataclysm: You gain souls from draining and use them to unleash more powerful versions of spells. Destruction is based around fire and huge hits - you gain Embers from burning your targets, and you spend them to do things like copy all spells (for cleaving) or unleash Chaos Bolts which are one of the hardest single nukes in the game. Demonology is based around Demonic Fury, which you build up through your normal rotation spells and then use to transform into a Demon form where you gain different abilities.

Warrior
: Melee DPS, Tank. they still rely on Rage. Protection has a really strong kit with solid active mitigation, Fury and Arms are both being changed a lot in Warlords (And Prot is getting a DPS subspec), right now they rely on getting Colossus Smash up (you ignore armor for 6 seconds) and then unleashing as much damage as possible in that window.

Beyond the basic class changes, there are some general notes for roles:

DPS - Not much to say here. Kill stuff.

Tanks - Vengeance is a new mechanic (Replaced by a less broken one in WoD called Resolve) which is basically meant to let tank damage scale at the same rate as DPS do. Vengeance instead lets tanks crush DPS on most raid bosses, hence why it is being removed. Basically, the more damage you take, the more damage you do (With some limitations). Resolve is going to let you get the defensive benefits of Vengeance, without making it appealing to stand in fire to do more dps. That brings us to...Active Mitigation. You might hear this word some, all of the tanks now have a more active role in how much damage they take. You don't just stand there and get healed, you have buttons to press that aren't long cooldowns. Death Knights heal themselves and shield themselves with Death Strike, Warriors have a very short cooldown Shield Block that absorbs damage, as well as a Shield Barrier to burn excess rage. Druids have a rage dump to increase their dodge to astronomical levels. Monks stagger percentages of their incoming damage and then use Purifying Brew to remove the remainder (Which turns into a dot on them otherwise). Paladins spend Holy Power to either heal themselves or block incoming damage.

Healers - Mana is standardized now, which affects healers more than anyone else. Gearing up no longer increases your actual mana pool (In MoP it is ALWAYS 300k unless there's a talent or something that increases it). This means what actually improves as you gear up are heal efficiencies (they hit harder so you cast less) and your spirit which gives you regen. Many classes have active mana regen they can utilize, such as Mana Tea for monks or Rapture for Disc Priests.

Wow, that was longer than I expected, and perhaps more than necessary. I'll try to keep the next parts a bit shorter, the ones with actual systems.

This is awesome, thanks. I'm returning from BC and this is a big help. Can you post a levelling guide for 70-90 as well as a brief summary of the dungeons and instances to do along the way? I'm tempted to use the level 90 boost, but at the same time I don't want to just be a noob dragging everyone down by not knowing how to play my class, so I figured doing 70-90 manually would give me some time to get back into the swing of things.

The old Elitist Jerks adage is still true for MoP and to no small extent WoD

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire. If this is too difficult BWL was still there last I checked, so go have at it for some practice.

lazygecko

You forgot shamans in that list.

Also I had never heard of the prot DPS subspec before. Is that going to be a fourth spec like feral/guardian druids?

Boogdud

If I had a recommendation for a new player it would be:

Unless you plan on tanking, don't punish yourself by being a melee dps class. The amount of effects and spam mechanics in the game currently just make it an incredible pain in the ass to not only see what you're hitting, but finding yourself in general. There really is no benefit to being melee when ranged can do it just as well from the comfy 40 yard couch.

Uh, no he was bad. He might not have been the sole reason D3 1.0 was bad but he definitely 'made it his'. Being involved in design in any way does not instill confidence with a lot of people, and for good reason. I honestly didn't think he worked for Blizzard anymore...

M.D

I stopped downloading and deleted what was already downloaded cause I read on the WoW forums that's its actually the MoP PTR and I thought I needed some special access like the beta to get the PTR

I guess I'll download it again later ;p

Is golden lotus selling well on the AH or was I just lucky? I got that big bag of herbs on timeless a million times and never picked it up

Picked one off yesterday and checked the price of the golden lotus... I sold that stuff for 300g ;o

TheYanger

Wow, I suck haha. Will fix Shamans.

Levelling
Levelling is much more streamlined than in the past, if you haven't played in a while this'll help you not be overwhelmed by quests and having no idea what to do.

If you quit in Vanilla or BC: Staring in wrath, questing became a lot more storyline oriented on a per hub or per zone basis, and it tends to be much easier to follow a questline from start to finish. In general it's just more 'gamey' and logical instead of a mishmash of random quests. 60-70 in Outlands is still very much oldstyle, so if you go 1-100 you'll notice right away how much different it feels when you get there. Hero's Call or Warchief's Command boards will assist you greatly in not being confused.

Questing
The bread and butter levelling experience, all of the old world Vanilla zones were revamped in Cataclysm and have a very clear level progression, the flaw is that they've also sped levelling up several times, so you can easily get 'past' your quest log and see it turn green and eventually grey. It can make it a bit hard to just follow and see all of the content in these old places, if you're going for speed you NEVER want quests to turn green - you just want to start a zone as soon as you can and leave as soon as it turns green. But where can you go? Well, if you head to any capital city, you can find a Hero's Call or Warchief's Command board, it's a large bulletin board placed somewhere around the town that will have quests that lead you to level appropriate zones - this way you never get lost in terms of where you can go. These lead you to zones only on the continent you're on, so if you get bored head to the other (Eastern Kingdoms <-> Kalimdor) and check the city there for a new place to level.

http://wowpedia.org/Zones_by_level Will get you started as well, though the boards will bring you straight to a quest giver. Most zones are linear at this time - you won't get a lot of the quests unless you start at point A and run through in order, more quests open up as you finish hubs. This makes it a bit more restrictive than Vanilla or BC, but it gives a much more solified narrative if you're interested in that.

The command boards will also direct you to the appropriate starter questlines for each expansion when you get there. 58 for Burning Crusade, 68 for Wrath of the Lich King, 80 for Cataclysm, 85 for Mists of Pandaria, and 90 for Warlords of Draenor. Once you start to catch up (Say Cataclysm level currently) you will notice the XP slow down a LOT letting you actually quest in a zone and probably finish some of them without them turning green. In my opinion this is a much stronger experience than the sort of shredded early level race that shuffles you through zones quickly.

Dungeons
Your other option starting at level 15 are Dungeons. Hit 'i' by default to open the group finder window (This is where you will queue for any PvE random group content). You can see what dungeons are available to you (and what difficulty they are) by using the dropdown on the top right. Typically you want to just do a random dungeon (It will almost 100% of the time choose only from the yellow difficulty dungeons in your dropdown), and then if you are missing a dungeon because RNG hasn't been selecting it, THEN I would specifically queue for that one before you outlevel it. Almost every dungeon is worth running once purely for quest XP if nothing else, but random gives you a large bonus at the end. If you quit in BC, the dungeon finder wasn't in yet. This will match you with anyone else in the US that is queueing at this time, expect relatively little conversation or bonding here, it's mostly wham bam thank you ma'am.

I highly recommend simply queueing for dungeons, and starting to quest in between while you're in the queue - queues will be longer for DPS than healers or tanks (those classes you may be able to just sit in town and get queues all day if you choose). Once you hit Wrath of the Lich King, dungeon XP drops off dramatically and even the random bonus will barely dent anything, so I would just queue each dungeon once and not rely on random if you have done more than half of what is available in your level range already. Unless you REALLY like dungeons, obviously. Purely running dungeons is markedly slower in Mists of Pandaria, due to the low number of them for the level range and the speed at which questing will go.

EDIT: And since it was asked, my personal recommendations: Do EVERY dungeon once. When I level alts I micromanage my dungeon list pretty hard, it can be tough when you're using Refer a Friend, but otherwise it's manageable. I look at what is available and I random queue if I feel I have good odds of not repeating, or I specific queue if I don't. I often leave a dungeon immediately if I've done it a couple times already and REALLY don't feel like doing it (You get a 30 minute 'deserter' ddebuff, IE: you get to go fix food or do some quests). Personal questing experience from 70 - 90 would be (when I would leave the zone): Howling Fjord (73), Grizzly Hills(76ish. Can do part of Zul'drak if you don't get there), Scholozar Basin (78), Storm Peaks (80), Hyjal (82), Deepholm (84), Uldum or Twilight Highlands (85) (Uldum is a VERY fun experience the first time through, you may just want to go there as soon as you ding 84 and play through until you hit 85, but it's frustrating on alts because it has so many cutscenes). Jade Forest (87) Kun Lai Summit (88), Townlong Steppes (89), Dread Wastes (90).

You have a lot of freedom in that range, levelling is just slow enough to be able to jump around without it being too much of a waste of time. As far as specific dungeons? I'm really not sure I could pick or choose, I've done them all to death and they all feel about as interesting to me. I suppose I'd say at least make sure to see one of each 'tileset' (More themeing than actual tileset in the traditional sense)
Utgarde Keep - Utgarde Pinnacle (Pinnacle is my choice)
Nexus - Oculus (Nexus. Don't bother with Oculus. Seriously).
Halls of Stone - Halls of Lightning (Both really good).
Azjol Nerub - Ahn'kahet (Just do both, AN is VERY short and AK has cooler bosses).

Cata and Mop just have fewer dungeons, and there aren't really any repeating designs. I'd do them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom