• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMeph

Ah, that makes sense. Shame, though -- if I could get a second boost I'd almost fall for the offer. Have nobody to sell the refunded key to so I'll just have to wait.

You can buy additional boosts in the Bnet/in-game store (for $60, I think?), if that's what you really want. Get the refund and buy a 2nd boost.

I initially bought the digital version and got the boost to 90 which i gave to a warlock, eventually i decided that i really was coming back to wow fulltime so i wanted the CE (to match the CE i have for every other release of the game including Vanilla) i opened up a ticket and asked them how i could do that and they said no problem, we'll refund you the digital version. what happens is my Warlock is locked out for now, i cant sign into him. When the CE shows up and i punch in the code, it'll unlock my warlock.

You can buy additional boosts in the Bnet/in-game store (for $60, I think?), if that's what you really want. Get the refund and buy a 2nd boost.

Thanks for the responses, but still not really what I'm after -- ideally I'd get my boost for pre-ordering the physical CE now so I could start playing my character. Don't know why Blizzard can't make that happen -- heck, just let me buy the $60 boost now and then refund that (even in game time, that'd be OK) when I register the CE. Problem with Felspawn's solution is it means my boosted character gets locked and I can't play it, StMeph's still leaves me with a non-CE digital key I have to sell (I think?).

Artanisix

Any shamans in here able to solo 25 heroic Lich King as enhance? I'm 570 at the moment. I clear him every week on my hunter, but having a pet tank helps a lot there.

I'm curious as to how easy it'll be in 6.0.2, I never got the chance to copy my character to the PTR before it all went apeshit. Hoping I can farm it on all seven of my characters, Invincible is basically my dream mount.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just want one of those skeletal dragon mount one day. It's something I always wanted back in WOTLK, but I wasn't in a serious raiding guild back then. I assume that at lvl 100 with blue/epic gear, it will be riduculously easy, as easy as doing Naxx today at lvl 90, even more if my girlfriend helps me.

Felspawn

I just want one of those skeletal dragon mount one day. It's something I always wanted back in WOTLK, but I wasn't in a serious raiding guild back then. I assume that at lvl 100 with blue/epic gear, it will be riduculously easy, as easy as doing Naxx today at lvl 90, even more if my girlfriend helps me.

The annoying thing for me is i'm like 3 achievements away from getting the 10man version and i just cant get a group together to get it done :(

Karl Hawk

Banned
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but there's two things I wanna know about:

Is WoW's online (And Diablo 3 as well) play region-locked?

Secondly, how does someone put add-ons in the game? I downloaded them recently (Titan Panel and Bartender) and they're a bunch a folders with shitton of files. I guess you extract them to the game's folder? I dunno, I just wanna make sure.

Artanisix

The annoying thing for me is i'm like 3 achievements away from getting the 10man version and i just cant get a group together to get it done :(

If you're horde I'd be willing to do it with you, my friend also wants that mount so we'd be a group of 3 at the very least.

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but there's two things I wanna know about:

Is WoW's online (And Diablo 3 as well) play region-locked?

Secondly, how does someone put add-ons in the game? I downloaded them recently (Titan Panel and Bartender) and they're a bunch a folders with shitton of files. I guess you extract them to the game's folder? I dunno, I just wanna make sure.

Yes to your region question.

For addons, you can download the currse downloader to make it simple, otherwise here's a step by step guide-
http://www.curse.com/legacycontent/manual-addon-installation-guide

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Some achievements require a group? Is 2 people enough? Or do you need like 3 or 4?

Fjordson

I'm curious as to how easy it'll be in 6.0.2, I never got the chance to copy my character to the PTR before it all went apeshit. Hoping I can farm it on all seven of my characters, Invincible is basically my dream mount.
Same man. I farm it every week on my hunter. But it'd be nice to start getting two chances in every week if I can solo him on my shaman.

Felspawn

If you're horde I'd be willing to do it with you, my friend also wants that mount so we'd be a group of 3 at the very least.

That sounds great, Horde side i'm Bloodsworn-Sentinels

Some achievements require a group? Is 2 people enough? Or do you need like 3 or 4?

Specifically i need been waiting a long time for this and portal Jockie. pretty much need a tank and healer for those .

Entropia

No One Remembers
Huh, the manual installation is more simpler than I anticipated.

And I gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of region-locks. Especially on online PC gaming.

I dunno man, it's really hard to play with people that don't speak the same language as you. Communication is key in WoW.

TheYanger

Yeah it's not 'region locked' in any kind of traditional sense like a console would be, like there's not really much effort involved in getting an account in a foreign territory, but it's nigh unplayable due to latency for most and you have trouble communicating a lot of the time. The different regions are realistically just because of distribution deals (like in asia) or just distance (europe). It's completely standard in MMOs, the latency is just too big of a deal.

ampere

One of our raiders (Disc Priest) plays the US version of WoW from Hong Kong. He's usually at about 300ms latency which is bad, but he's still able to play at a high level. He said he prefers playing melee dps, but it just does not work at that latency.

We did have some problems in CM speed runs where his CDs/heals wouldn't go off in time, so we had to use stuff early.

It's theoretically possible to have 45ms from Hong Kong to the East coast of the US, but it would require a direct cable with no loss. Not exactly practical or realistic.

Currently on my raid team is a guy from China (not sure where from exactly). Don't know his latency but he still performs very well on his hunter. Helps that he plays the Chinese WoW at a high level as well.

On my very last try for the day, I had this bad boy drop

Dll3pQl.png

Then after a 1.5 year break I went Skyshard hunting again. The very first mob I pulled dropped one for me

I need to buy a lotto ticket NOW

Tacitus_

Huh, the manual installation is more simpler than I anticipated.

And I gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of region-locks. Especially on online PC gaming.

AFAIK you just need to purchase the game from the region you want to play in. Though as noted above, the latency would make it horrible to play across regions.

M.D

It should just be a flat 7% increase to those stats. That's a pretty nice trinket.

Not sure if you're one of the new 90s that's been posting, so excuse this if it sounds redundant, but WoW gameplay is heavily focused now around managing your secondary resource, cooldowns, and trinket procs (what's mana?). Because of this, I HIGHLY recommend using an add-on like Tell Me When. Basically, you can set it so a HUGE icon appears on your screen when your trinket (or other procs/buffs/whatever) go off. This is when you wanna blow cooldowns and secondary resources and stuff. It makes managing that stuff so much easier when its not a tiny little square off to the side of your screen. Trinket procs + cooldowns = my chaos bolts hit for nearly twice as strong. It's a nice DPS bump for just being more aware.

Let's say your Haste rating is 100. with that trinket your haste rating is now 107. (100 * 1.07)

Crit is a bit different because it's your Critical damage.

But, let's say you're criting for 1000, your crit damage will be 1070.

Thanks for the explanation.
That addon seems very useful, I'll download it later. I just hope it doesn't add more chaos to the screen ;p

I'm gonna using askmrrobot once my profile updates

Different question for you guys - I just finished the 3k valor part of the cloack quest, how much longer do I have? I'm already exalted so that part is off.

What's the drop rate on the items I'm supposed to get from the raid bosses on this chapter? Do they have a chance to drop every time I kill a boss, or does it act like actual loot and only has a chance to drop once a week?

Do you guys think I can make it? :(

TheYanger

Thanks for the explanation.
That addon seems very useful, I'll download it later. I just hope it doesn't add more chaos to the screen ;p

I'm gonna using askmrrobot once my profile updates

Different question for you guys - I just finished the 3k valor part of the cloack quest, how much longer do I have? I'm already exalted so that part is off.

What's the drop rate on the items I'm supposed to get from the raid bosses on this chapter? Do they have a chance to drop every time I kill a boss, or does it act like actual loot and only has a chance to drop once a week?

Do you guys think I can make it? :(

It's once per week per boss you have the CHANCE to get a drop.

The black prince buff should make it a lot less bad, just make sure to do it very efficiently and you'll easily make it before the expansion.

Secrets of the Empire drop from any boss in ToT, and the first 4 bosses in SoO. (16 bosses a week). Lei Shen Always drops one.
Titan Runestones drop from the last 2 wings in ToT and the first 4 bosses in SoO (12 bosses a week). Lei Shen always drops one.
If you manage to find a heroic ToT group, Ra-Den is also guaranteed to drop one of either.

TheYanger

I was under the impression that you get them from the first two wings of SoO and the Last two of ToT. you dont get them from Gates of Retribution?

Oh derp, I was thinking it was just the first wing, but yeah it's the first two. So...my numbers were off cause I can't math.
6 in ToT, 8 in Siege. 14 runestone chances a week, 20 secrets chances a week.

M.D

It's once per week per boss you have the CHANCE to get a drop.

The black prince buff should make it a lot less bad, just make sure to do it very efficiently and you'll easily make it before the expansion.

Secrets of the Empire drop from any boss in ToT, and the first 4 bosses in SoO. (16 bosses a week). Lei Shen Always drops one.
Titan Runestones drop from the last 2 wings in ToT and the first 4 bosses in SoO (12 bosses a week). Lei Shen always drops one.
If you manage to find a heroic ToT group, Ra-Den is also guaranteed to drop one of either.

Will it still drop if I've already done the first wing of SoO for example?

Is the lockout different for LFR, Flex, Normal, HC just lik any other loot?

M.D

I was under the impression that you get them from the first two wings of SoO and the Last two of ToT. you dont get them from Gates of Retribution?

Will it still drop if I've already done the first wing of SoO for example?

Is the lockout different for LFR, Flex, Normal, HC just lik any other loot?

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna que for some LFR now

Fjordson

If someone's already started the cloak quest they have until the expansion to finish it, right? Or is it only until the 6.0 patch?

cdyhybrid

Can anyone tell me where in ElvUI I can get to the config for these buff duration bars above my unit frame?

axDJmZn.png

I assume it's ElvUI because all I have installed is ElvUI and DBM.

Ultratech

Some do. Portal jockey in particular.

For Portal Jockey, you can cheese the achievement if you managed to fully heal the boss before the 1st portals spawn.

Just throwing that out there.

On my very last try for the day, I had this bad boy drop

Then after a 1.5 year break I went Skyshard hunting again. The very first mob I pulled dropped one for me
I need to buy a lotto ticket NOW

Grats!

I should go Skyshard hunting again when 6.0 hits.

Right now, I can't really do it due to lack of bag space (and those stupid 600 cooking recipes taking up space as well).

Think I got like 3-4?

Can anyone tell me where in ElvUI I can get to the config for these buff duration bars above my unit frame?

axDJmZn.png

I'm not too sure but perhaps this is it?

ziBvVKQ.png

I don't have a sub at the moment so I'm not able to test out my 90s to see if this is it.

cdyhybrid

I'm not too sure but perhaps this is it?

ziBvVKQ.png

I don't have a sub at the moment so I'm not able to test out my 90s to see if this is it.

That was it, thanks :p Was looking in that submenu multiple times but I guess I'm just blind.

Still not sure what I want to play for WoD. Right now I'm just working on finishing these Engineering mounts and making a bunch of 28-slot bags for whatever character I end up going with.

Anyone have a not ultra hardcore guild willing to accept returning players on alliance side? Is there a gaf one? I have a 70 warrior, planning to level him to 90 before WoD hits, but haven't played in 5 years. Would like to eventually raid a bit. I'm PST time if it matters.

Wunder

Can someone explain the new raiding difficulties to me? As far as I understood it this is how it goes:

• LFR (10-25)
  • Normal (10-25)
  • Heroic (10-25)
  • Mythic (20)

With the new Premade Groups tool, you can find groups for Normal and Heroic groups? People have said Normal is the new flex and Heroic is now Normal, but in terms of mechanics, is there a ramp up for Normal > Heroic and then another layer for Mythic, or will it be similar to how Flex > Normal works currently, where it's pretty much the same fight?

Ultratech

Can someone explain the new raiding difficulties to me? As far as I understood it this is how it goes:

• LFR (10-25)
  • Normal (10-25)
  • Heroic (10-25)
  • Mythic (20)

With the new Premade Groups tool, you can find groups for Normal and Heroic groups? People have said Normal is the new flex and Heroic is now Normal, but in terms of mechanics, is there a ramp up for Normal > Heroic and then another layer for Mythic, or will it be similar to how Flex > Normal works currently, where it's pretty much the same fight?

I think you have it pretty much.

Everything but Mythic is cross-realm, so Premade Groups should work, and Mythic apparently has it own different stuff/mechanics for some fights, kinda like Heroic previously.

Wunder

I think you have it pretty much.

Everything but Mythic is cross-realm, so Premade Groups should work, and Mythic apparently has it own different stuff/mechanics for some fights, kinda like Heroic previously.

Thanks, that's a shame, I didn't realize when people were saying Normal is flex and Heroic is normal that that was literally going to be the change, I figured Normal and Heroic would still retain the their differences in that the boss fights would be different, and Mythic would be an entirely new scale of difficulty.

Finally got the damn Huo drop. Woooooo.

Sadly, my main doesn't have serpent flying. I feel like I don't want to grind it considering that 6.0 will remove the req to fly serpents. Decisions.

Also, don't know if it's worth grinding cloak with WoD so close.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Finally got the damn Huo drop. Woooooo.

Sadly, my main doesn't have serpent flying. I feel like I don't want to grind it considering that 6.0 will remove the req to fly serpents. Decisions.

Also, don't know if it's worth grinding cloak with WoD so close.

You can get it in literally 2-3 weeks, and you get a title and feat of strength and all that. It's goin away in WoD so might as well.

Fularu

Banned

• LFR (10-25)
  • Normal (10-25)
  • Heroic (10-25)
  • Mythic (20)

Normal and Heroic go up to 30 now.

vocab

axDJmZn.png

Its the aura bar option in elvui. Its a pain in an ass to customize it properly. I spent like 10 mins trying to move the aura bar to the way i want and just couldnt figure it out. An alternative would be class timers.

cdyhybrid

I got a ton from doing LFR, heroics, scenarios and growing them in my farm.

Yeah, I'm growing them on my farm, but I don't feel like raiding (even LFR) right now...and the character I need them on is only iLVL 517 (just reactivated today after taking a break shortly after SoO launched), so I feel like I'd be holding scenario groups back at this point.

I also can't decide what to use my character boost on ;-; I want to use it soon so I can get max Alchemy for Living Steel transmutes so I can finish my Engineering mounts...but I want to use it on the class I plan to play in WoD. I'm so indecisive ;-; Reading forums and stuff makes it sound like Mages and Warriors are topping the DPS meters at the moment (which is mainly what I'm looking to do), but I haven't found enough to make me feel confident that one of those would be the right choice. Obviously, we don't really know yet what the ideal choice would be in the expansion.

What DPS classes are effective (read: capable of topping meters) but relatively underrepresented? From what I understand, there are a LOT of Warlocks out there right now.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I dunno man, it's really hard to play with people that don't speak the same language as you. Communication is key in WoW.

Yeah it's not 'region locked' in any kind of traditional sense like a console would be, like there's not really much effort involved in getting an account in a foreign territory, but it's nigh unplayable due to latency for most and you have trouble communicating a lot of the time. The different regions are realistically just because of distribution deals (like in asia) or just distance (europe). It's completely standard in MMOs, the latency is just too big of a deal.

One of our raiders (Disc Priest) plays the US version of WoW from Hong Kong. He's usually at about 300ms latency which is bad, but he's still able to play at a high level. He said he prefers playing melee dps, but it just does not work at that latency.

We did have some problems in CM speed runs where his CDs/heals wouldn't go off in time, so we had to use stuff early.

It's theoretically possible to have 45ms from Hong Kong to the East coast of the US, but it would require a direct cable with no loss. Not exactly practical or realistic.

AFAIK you just need to purchase the game from the region you want to play in. Though as noted above, the latency would make it horrible to play across regions.

Yeah, I guess you guys have a point. Just not very familiar with how online multiplayer works in PC, I suppose. ._.

M.D

Turned out I need Secrets of the Empire before getting the Titan Runestone, guess I read the wrong part of the guide

So this thing drops from all the bosses in ToT and the first 8 of SoO

Let's say I get some of them next week and turn them in and start the quest where I need Titan Runestone, can it drop from the same bosses who dropped Secret of the Empire that week?

This s going to take at least 2 weeks if not 3

Tamanon

Banned
Turned out I need Secrets of the Empire before getting the Titan Runestone, guess I read the wrong part of the guide

So this thing drops from all the bosses in ToT and the first 8 of SoO

Let's say I get some of them next week and turn them in and start the quest where I need Titan Runestone, can it drop from the same bosses who dropped Secret of the Empire that week?

This s going to take at least 2 weeks if not 3

They drop from the first 2 wings of ToT and SoO. If those bosses have already been killed, you can't get the Runestones the same week.

Not sure if I'm going to rush and try and get the cloak on my warrior. I feel like i really should since him and my DK will be my mains in WoD. I'm at the valor part, so no sense in trying to go further since it will be removed. I'm thinking I'll just wait for the patch to drop and hope I can get it in three weeks.

On that topic, anyone else bothered by the amount of stuff blizz is removing? I don't recall so many things being taken away before when a new expansion starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom