• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

So yeah, this is why I'm playing a Warrior in WoD.

giphy.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Those shoulders are literally impossible...my mind is blowing up right now.

The Shaman CM shoulders should separate your shoulders every single time you jump from their force pushing together while pulling on your character's body. Surprised this is the first time shoulders have blown your mind

Started up tonight after a 6 year break. Got to 73. What addons are a must have? Got Titan Panel already.

Also I'm going to be a prot warrior. What are some useful macros?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Started up tonight after a 6 year break. Got to 73. What addons are a must have? Got Titan Panel already.

Also I'm going to be a prot warrior. What are some useful macros?

Must have addons for me.

Altoholic to keep a record of who has what.

AutoprofitX2 to auto sell vendor trash.

Adibags to get categorized bags.

Overarchiever for additional information and tracking for achievements.

Note i dont raid or even do dungeons, at all. i imagine theres lots of stuff people use like unit frame addons and stuff like Deadly Boss Mods that i dont require.

As far as macros and such i would wait a week or two because 6.0 is going to change how most classes play.

Is the game down right now? I try to log on, it gets to abotu 90% on the loading screen, and I get disconnected. Realm Status shows my server as up, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Ultratech

So yeah, this is why I'm playing a Warrior in WoD.

Warriors got some of the better sets in that tier.

Hunter sets look terrible.

DK Mythic set and Pally sets are pretty cool too.

Those shoulders are literally impossible...my mind is blowing up right now.

Looking at the animation, the spikes retract.

(They prolly retract when they spin around as well)

So it's not likely your shoulders are being shredded.

cdyhybrid

Seems like trying to zone into a dungeon is a crapshoot. Can play on Eastern Kingdoms just fine, but take an LFD invite and you're stuck in D/C hell.

The lag/dc problems seem a lot more frequent since i started playing again. Maybe is with all the PRT/Beta stuff messing with their servers. They have been pushing like 2 builds a day.

antonz

I don't know if I agree with that Mage link. Fire will work fantastic at 90 with 6.0 because someone specced fire will have crit etc. out the ass and that is 100% what fire is dependent on. At 100 is when they will suffer because they will have shit for crit il they gear up again.

Frost is going to take a hit with the lack of multistrike available. Its way too important to frosts spec and frost players will notice the lack of it.

M.D

So how nice were the previous WoW CE? cause saving a bunch of money and getting a character boosted to 90 right now seems really tempting X_X

Adding to this question

What kind of gear do you need in order to quest in Draenor? if I boost a character now, could I quest in Draenor with full timeless gear for example?

What kind of gear would you need for the first raids of WoD?

Adding to this question

What kind of gear do you need in order to quest in Draenor? if I boost a character now, could I quest in Draenor with full timeless gear for example?

I'm pretty sure the gear set you get through boosting lets you do all of the LFR raids. I believe it's 496 gear that you get? My friends boosted and they could do the LFR from the start.

Yeah looks like Mythic gets its own set, Normal and Heroic are recolors, and LFR doesnt get one

Dang, that's awesome. Time to start raiding again, I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Shaman set is bland, but I knew I'd be sticking with the Dark Shaman transmog anyways. Hunter mythic tier is kinda cool.

I like the one shoulder with the gun barrel.

Ultratech

Adding to this question

I don't think it'll be an issue.

Looks like some of the opening quests in Draenor will give you some stronger gear and go from there if you're just in Boosted/Timeless Gear.

As for the first raids of WoD, the devs mentioned they'd tune the first Normal raid tier around on having Heroic Dungeon gear, though you're likely to use that in conjunction with stronger Crafted Gear.
(Hopefully, they're still sticking to that. Check the gearing progression table I posted earlier for ilvl details.)

Magnus

Any new hints on 6.0's date? Likely 2-3 weeks away at most, right?

Also, as a Scribe, is there any quick and dirty way to see how many (and what) Glyph recipes I'm missing? I'm diligently doing my 3 learning recipes almost every day and I'm wondering how much more I've got to go. It'd be nice to have all I can get before WoD hits.

Ultratech

Any new hints on 6.0's date? Likely 2-3 weeks away at most, right?

Also, as a Scribe, is there any quick and dirty way to see how many (and what) Glyph recipes I'm missing? I'm diligently doing my 3 learning recipes almost every day and I'm wondering how much more I've got to go. It'd be nice to have all I can get before WoD hits.

You can check your Professions in your Armory profile.

It'll give you a list of what you have and haven't learned.
(Though it'll list some weird stuff as unlearned since I guess unused or unobtainable stuff is still in the database.)

M.D

I'm pretty sure the gear set you get through boosting lets you do all of the LFR raids. I believe it's 496 gear that you get? My friends boosted and they could do the LFR from the start.

Dang, that's awesome. Time to start raiding again, I guess.

It's 483 greens, and I think that only gets you into ToT.

Not that difficult from there to get 496 for Siege LFR, but it's not instantaneous.

I don't think it'll be an issue.

Looks like some of the opening quests in Draenor will give you some stronger gear and go from there if you're just in Boosted/Timeless Gear.

As for the first raids of WoD, the devs mentioned they'd tune the first Normal raid tier around on having Heroic Dungeon gear, though you're likely to use that in conjunction with stronger Crafted Gear.
(Hopefully, they're still sticking to that. Check the gearing progression table I posted earlier for ilvl details.)

Thanks for the answers.

I want to buy the physical collector's edition, but I'm really tempted to buy WoD on battle.net and boost another class, even tho there's not a lot of time to make gear progression with it

I have a 32 hunter and 66 DK and it would be really nice boosting another class, but I'm also wondering if it's worth boosting the hunter once he turns 60 for the max professions

Minion101

Banned
Thanks for the answers.

I want to buy the physical collector's edition, but I'm really tempted to buy WoD on battle.net and boost another class, even tho there's not a lot of time to make gear progression with it

I have a 32 hunter and 66 DK and it would be really nice boosting another class, but I'm also wondering if it's worth boosting the hunter once he turns 60 for the max professions

That reminds me I need to buy WoD. I'd boost a warrior but I'm having too much fun doing low level pvp.

I'm holding off for the physical CE since I'm not in a rush to boost anything right now. But I am excited it's getting closer. The only thing I've been logging on lately for is a Coren run. I still need the ram. Which fucking blows because I've had all the achievements for the event done in 09 and I still don't have the fucking thing.

Salt in the wound was someone in my group yesterday opening their keg, getting the ram, and they're like... I already had it. Son of a bitch! Last shot will be tomorrow morning before it ends. :/

So after being away since BC I'm coming back for WoW. I logged on for the first time Friday and headed over to Northrend to check out WotLK. I feel l ike such a noob. Even basic shit like what abilities do what I've totally forgotten. By level 75 all my Hyjal gear was already replaced by blues and quest greens. Blows my mind how big Northrend is, are the new Cataclysm and Pandaria areas just as big?

One thing that bothers me is the flying mounts. I mean they're *too* good. So good that I almost feel like I don't like Northrend because of it. I have stories and memories to tell about every single area I went to in BC. In Northrend because of flying mounts I just don't feel a connection to the world. 90% of areas I've never set foot in, because I've just flown over them on the way to the next place. For a similar reason, questing feels more disconnected. There's not a clear progression of where to go next. That's good in some ways because it means the world is bigger, but at the same time it means there's so many places you'll just never get a chance to spend alot of time with, and that kind of sucks.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So after being away since BC I'm coming back for WoW. I logged on for the first time Friday and headed over to Northrend to check out WotLK. I feel l ike such a noob. Even basic shit like what abilities do what I've totally forgotten. By level 75 all my Hyjal gear was already replaced by blues and quest greens. Blows my mind how big Northrend is, are the new Cataclysm and Pandaria areas just as big?

One thing that bothers me is the flying mounts. I mean they're *too* good. So good that I almost feel like I don't like Northrend because of it. I have stories and memories to tell about every single area I went to in BC. In Northrend because of flying mounts I just don't feel a connection to the world. 90% of areas I've never set foot in, because I've just flown over them on the way to the next place. For a similar reason, questing feels more disconnected. There's not a clear progression of where to go next. That's good in some ways because it means the world is bigger, but at the same time it means there's so many places you'll just never get a chance to spend alot of time with, and that kind of sucks.

Cataclysm is zones spread out over all the new continents, so it's not really as big.

And what you're saying is pretty much exactly why they're restricting flying in Warlords for a while. Of course when WotLK came out you couldn't fly there until you were 80, so you're only missing out because you're joining in late.

But yeah, it's funny you mention it regarding BC, they're really trying to pluck those nostalgia strings from the BC era with WoD. That's just one of the ways.

Artanisix

What bothers me about flying mounts is that there's like no super badass ones except for Alar and Invincible, and Invincible looks better on the ground than in the air. All the cool mounts are ground mounts.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What bothers me about flying mounts is that there's like no super badass ones except for Alar and Invincible, and Invincible looks better on the ground than in the air. All the cool mounts are ground mounts.

Pureblood firehawk and Mimirons head would tell a different tale.

Cataclysm is zones spread out over all the new continents, so it's not really as big.

And what you're saying is pretty much exactly why they're restricting flying in Warlords for a while. Of course when WotLK came out you couldn't fly there until you were 80, so you're only missing out because you're joining in late.

But yeah, it's funny you mention it regarding BC, they're really trying to pluck those nostalgia strings from the BC era with WoD. That's just one of the ways.

One thing I will give the flying mounts, is that because of them, some of the Northrend areas are really jawdropping. Storm Peaks still blows my mind. I'd be flying towards a building and it comes into view and I'm like "holy shit that's a tall building", then I fly past it and another building comes into view that dwarfs it. I flew into some caves, I don't even remember what it was called but it was some circular machine-like entrance into the side of a mountain, and you have to do like acrobatics and stuff with your mount to get into it. It leads the way to some really awesome world design, but yea. I think I'm fine with not having flying mounts in WoD.

Random question: I understand that some dungeons have ilvl requirements now. But these aren't stated anywhere. So like, I'm level 77 and supposedly there's some really cool lvl 75 dungeons (Forge of Souls, etc) that don't show up on my dungeon finder because my ilvl isn't high enoguh. Is the ilvl requirement shown in game anywhere? Also, what does the ilvl requirement refer to? Your weapon? Average of all your gear? Lowest piece of gear? Highest piece of gear?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
One thing I will give the flying mounts, is that because of them, some of the Northrend areas are really jawdropping. Storm Peaks still blows my mind. I'd be flying towards a building and it comes into view and I'm like "holy shit that's a tall building", then I fly past it and another building comes into view that dwarfs it. I flew into some caves, I don't even remember what it was called but it was some circular machine-like entrance into the side of a mountain, and you have to do like acrobatics and stuff with your mount to get into it. It leads the way to some really awesome world design, but yea. I think I'm fine with not having flying mounts in WoD.

Random question: I understand that some dungeons have ilvl requirements now. But these aren't stated anywhere. So like, I'm level 77 and supposedly there's some really cool lvl 75 dungeons (Forge of Souls, etc) that don't show up on my dungeon finder because my ilvl isn't high enoguh. Is the ilvl requirement shown in game anywhere? Also, what does the ilvl requirement refer to? Your weapon? Average of all your gear? Lowest piece of gear? Highest piece of gear?

Again, super funny. Because I was wrong before, you could fly at 78 in Northrend, and Storm Peaks / Icecrown is the first zone you get to fly in basically. You really picked up on exactly what is good and bad about flying mounts. I can't believe there's a 500+ page thread on MMO-Champ bitching about the lack of flying right off the bat in WoD. The difference is you won't be able to fly at level 100 even, which still doesn't seem to be a problem to me since it negates all the high levels ganking leveling lowbies, and trivializes dailies. But damn, you got my kudos for noticing those two things man.

You can check your ilevel on your expanded character screen, it's your average item level.

ZI6Aejj.png

The forge of souls, pit of saron, and halls of reflection dungeons are sort of like the Magisters Terrace of WotLK. Added in the final patch as a catch up mechanic to the final raid. It's a lot harder than the other dungeons, and if I remember correctly, heroic only. So they assume you have some gear from other dungeons and/or raids even before you attempt it. I remember it being pretty hard when it first came out. I've leveling quite a few people through WotLK and I've never run those dungeons since WotLK was content, halls of lightning is the last one I do before cataclysm.

If you want I can run you through them just to see them if you'd like.

TheYanger

Forge of Souls is like level 80, that'd be the only reason it won't show up - dungeons that you don't meet the ilevel for still show up, and mousing over them tells you waht ilevel you need (and your current).

Ultratech

Forge of Souls is like level 80, that'd be the only reason it won't show up - dungeons that you don't meet the ilevel for still show up, and mousing over them tells you waht ilevel you need (and your current).

That and you need like ilvl180 (200 for Heroic) to even queue for it, which isn't terribly likely when you first hit 80.

There's also the issue that you can't randomly queue for it; you have to manually select those specific dungeons to be able to queue for them.
(This may have changed, but I doubt it.)

Running the Normal version of those dungeons is pretty good for gearing up for Herald of the Titans.

ampere

So this expansion is really +$15*X? ..Apperance changes.

Greedy bastards.

You mean because people will have to pay to recustomize their character or something?

You can change your face in the barbershop for like 20 gold in 6.0

Though the sticker price on the expac is $10 more, guess they figured they could get more money from us. They were right... lol

Tacitus_

There's also the issue that you can't randomly queue for it; you have to manually select those specific dungeons to be able to queue for them.
(This may have changed, but I doubt it.)

When was that the case? I remember when they came out and half the group would disappear from LFD if you got the last of the trio on heroic. Which, to be fair, was an absolute bitch to pug.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have never bothered with secondary professions but decided to knock them out while waiting for WOD. Cooking was super easy with the catch up mechanic in place. Took about 20 minutes to max it. Fishing really sucks. I am up to 325 now and it is taking 6+ catches to get 1 point. 600 seems like a long way off. Hopefully archaeology isn't this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom