• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

I have never bothered with secondary professions but decided to knock them out while waiting for WOD. Cooking was super easy with the catch up mechanic in place. Took about 20 minutes to max it. Fishing really sucks. I am up to 325 now and it is taking 6+ catches to get 1 point. 600 seems like a long way off. Hopefully archaeology isn't this bad.

The fishing dailies help as they give you skill ups and Nat Pagle in Pandaland sells you an item which raises your fishing skill, though in order to get it you need to fish stuff for him so it's more designed for alts.

As for archaeology... it's boring as fuck to level. At least digging gets you skill ups past 100, as leveling archaeology at Cata launch was fucking awful.

I have never bothered with secondary professions but decided to knock them out while waiting for WOD. Cooking was super easy with the catch up mechanic in place. Took about 20 minutes to max it. Fishing really sucks. I am up to 325 now and it is taking 6+ catches to get 1 point. 600 seems like a long way off. Hopefully archaeology isn't this bad.

Darkmoon Isle has a fishing quest that gives +5 points, and the city fishing dailies are a guaranteed +1 or +2 if you want to bother doing them, and the sharpened fishing hooks help anyway so you might as well.

Tamanon

Banned
Archaeology is the perfect profession to level while waiting for a queue to pop. It's much better than it used to be at least, but still will probably take several hours to grind out.

ampere

Archaeology is the perfect profession to level while waiting for a queue to pop. It's much better than it used to be at least, but still will probably take several hours to grind out.

I just wish the achievement structure wasn't so boring... I like to work on achievements but the "do this solve 20 times" ones are just plain dumb.

The mechanics of it are OK, just a poor reward structure. Hope they work on that in the future.

Is jewelcrafting worth leveling? Mine's at like 415 but it's ridiculously expensive to even get 1 skillup because they all require Eternal earth or shadow.

Also what's the best addon to track mining points?

Tamanon

Banned
Is jewelcrafting worth leveling? Mine's at like 415 but it's ridiculously expensive to even get 1 skillup because they all require Eternal earth or shadow.

Well, do the jewel crafting quest at Darkmoon Faire this week to get you to 420, then you can cut diamonds I think. Or make sure to do the jewel crafting daily in Dalaran a few times to get a rare gem cut to hit 425.

It's not a bad profession at all, and looks pretty useful for WoD.

TheYanger

So this expansion is really +$15*X? ..Apperance changes.

Greedy bastards.

It's 10 bucks more as noted (GOD FORBID! 10 bucks more every 2 years!).
Meanwhile our sub prices haven't gone up in a decade.

Seems fair to me.
When wow came out it cost me like a buck fifty for a gallon of gas.

Is it though? with the scaling back of gems in WoD what does it offer?

Gems are going to be less of a commodity and more of a premium craft akin to epic armor/weapons. Besides rare/epic jewelry. So it won't make nearly as much money as it was able to in the past with the income stream changing, but it should still pull decent numbers.

The minimum price for gems will probably be around what meta gems have been valued at in the past, based on the crafting costs and rarity of gem slots - probably higher to be honest.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the pre-patch stuff to do when I resub next week(or whenever 6.0 hits)? I know the dark portal's opening, but I'm just talking like stuff that will only exist from 6.0 to WoD launch. Legacy achievements and all that. Special version of BRD, right?

Happy that the best Monk transmog is returning

fuzzyset

Archaeology isn't too bad. I did ~40ish-600 in a Sunday. Probably 5-6hours of game time. I just lounged about, watched TV, and gathered. All the digging is orange from 1-600 now. I stayed in Eastern Kingdoms pretty much the whole time. At some point (I think post 525), solving the artifacts in Eastern Kingdoms stopped giving my skill-ups. I went to Pandaria to dig, which did give me the bonus for solving, but dealing with the mobs probably slowed me down overall. Before that, it's 5pts for common and 25pts for rare. You should get at least enough for 1 5pt solve per digsite. So, 11pts per dig site. It goes surprisingly fast. Some of the flavor text is interesting too.

vocab

What's the pre-patch stuff to do when I resub next week(or whenever 6.0 hits)? I know the dark portal's opening, but I'm just talking like stuff that will only exist from 6.0 to WoD launch. Legacy achievements and all that. Special version of BRD, right?

It's mainly the dark portal event. UBRS will be open. Leeroy achievement is the only thing thats legacy from there.

Entropia

No One Remembers
October 14(?) can't come soon enough!

Saturday I did Arenas for like 2 hours wrapping up the 27k Conquest in Season 15 achieve. I need to get the Blind Hero and I'll be done with the Brawler's Guild Collect Your Deck/Deck Your Collection achieves.

Jag

Preparing for 6.0

I popped onto the PTR and the Beta. The pre-patch event is ok. It's no undead scourge invasion or AQ event. Other than BRD, mostly the UI enhancements, bag space changes and other cosmetic stuff.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Don't bother leveling up crafting professions now, when Draenor comes out you can level 1-700 with draenor recipies, so it'll be much cheaper/easier.

Gathermate2 also tracks mining nodes for you, but you gotta download the database and install it as well.

Ultratech

When was that the case? I remember when they came out and half the group would disappear from LFD if you got the last of the trio on heroic. Which, to be fair, was an absolute bitch to pug.

It's been that way for a while, IIRC.

When you hit 80 currently, you can random queue for Wrath Dungeons* and Cata Normal dungeons.
(* - The exception to this being ToC and the Frozen Halls dungeons. You can queue for them specifically, but you'll never get them in the random queue.)

Kraftwerk

Honestly, I had my money on the 14th being patch day, now I don't think it will be next wee. It is looking more like the 21st.

I would fucking LOVE if it is next week, but usually when they remove items or achievements, they give you a two week heads up. And at the rate they are pushing builds, seems like they still have lot of changes to do. It does kind of make sense for it to be the 21st. It will give us exactly one whole month to get used to the new changes and for people to do the pre-launch events.

Just a random thought.

Kraftwerk

So, my friend was telling me this 'bug' that still hasn't been hot-fixed.

You know the Ashen Verdict exalted rings from ICC? they have a proc. Well, it seems like on beta and ptr the stats are squished, but the proc is still the same. So at once 6.00 goes out, they will have an absurdly strong proc. He is getting all his toons to exalted. I told him to stop, as I don't see how it wont be hotfixed. Already half the server is talking about it.

Cipherr

Have they started pushing expansion data through the blizzard launcher? Because Im watching day by day my SSD is showing less and less space available despite me doing nothing. Only thing I keep there are games.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Honestly, I had my money on the 14th being patch day, now I don't think it will be next wee. It is looking more like the 21st.

I would fucking LOVE if it is next week, but usually when they remove items or achievements, they give you a two week heads up. And at the rate they are pushing builds, seems like they still have lot of changes to do. It does kind of make sense for it to be the 21st. It will give us exactly one whole month to get used to the new changes and for people to do the pre-launch events.

Just a random thought.

They already gave us the 2 week pvp end notice a week ago. 14th is their goal, 21st is their absolute deadline for sure though.

Have they started pushing expansion data through the blizzard launcher? Because Im watching day by day my SSD is showing less and less space available despite me doing nothing. Only thing I keep there are games.
The 15 gig pre-patch went out a while ago.

So, my friend was telling me this 'bug' that still hasn't been hot-fixed.

You know the Ashen Verdict exalted rings from ICC? they have a proc. Well, it seems like on beta and ptr the stats are squished, but the proc is still the same. So at once 6.00 goes out, they will have an absurdly strong proc. He is getting all his toons to exalted. I told him to stop, as I don't see how it wont be hotfixed. Already half the server is talking about it.

If more than one person knows about it, it's already fixed and going through QA at blizz lol.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah, it said a few weeks though. Very ambiguous. Didn't say anything about two week.

Again, I pray to God its next week.

But being real, it's a 2 week notice without guarenteeing 2 weeks, so there's no way to know.

All these builds coming out is just balancing issues too, which they aren't going to be too worried about releasing "broken" for the 6.0 patch, as opposed to WoD release proper. It just depends on if someone thinks how important it is for level 90 twinks to be 'balanced' or not. If there were a ton of bugs still or client crashes then it'd be a different issue. As far as I know all the rapid fire builds are just numbers tweaking.

It's always a fun period of time, that month~ before the expansion where people can't get it in their heads that you're still 90, but you're no longer max level, so classes won't be balanced. It'd be like if you wanted 1-89 to be perfectly balanced as well, it's just not how it works.

Ultratech

Just a random thought.

They've been giving people a heads-up on a lot of stuff now for the last couple of weeks.

The PvP notice was last week, CMs ending before that, along with some other stuff like Brawler's Guild.

New UBRs done through LFG or what?

Good question. IIRC, it's only like half the dungeon we get to do for the event.

Is it even worth it to try and get as much flex/norm raids in before the pre-patch? I am thinking the revamped UBRS loot will fill nearly every loot gap I have in my paladin/warlock.

I just want my fucking BOAs and it's taking forever. Haven't gotten a single one.

Regarding tanking Garrosh normal. Are people always looking for 570+ tanks or something? I figured 559 was high enough but I can never get a group for the life of me and if I do, they are awful at managing MC's.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is it even worth it to try and get as much flex/norm raids in before the pre-patch? I am thinking the revamped UBRS loot will fill nearly every loot gap I have in my paladin/warlock.

I just want my fucking BOAs and it's taking forever. Haven't gotten a single one.

Regarding tanking Garrosh normal. Are people always looking for 570+ tanks or something? I figured 559 was high enough but I can never get a group for the life of me and if I do, they are awful at managing MC's.

Wait until 6.0. It'll probably be easier, and it'll definitely be easier to find a group with the new group finder tool, 100% heirloom droprate, and tons of people coming back to play.

The main reason people look for such high iLvl tanks for Garrosh is so it can be solo tanked, particularly for 10m. You'll die if you're not at a certain gear threshold.

Can someone recommend some UI add-ons for a returning player who's leveling now?

I can't live without:
Postal - better mailbox
Prat - better chat
TBag - better bags (shows you bank bags and is searchable across your alts)
Bartender - better action bars (super easy to set character-specific keybinds)
Clique - for middle-mouse button dispels, if that's what your class is supposed to do
ClassTimer - for better, movable buff durations and it's easy to customize
Grid - turn healing into whackamole with Clique.
Panda - one-click milling/prospecting if you need to do either.

I wish I could live without:
Some kind of unit frame replacement - I use pitbull but it's creaky and annoying to customize, but this I found is true of most unit frame addons. Most UI packages use one with pre-done customizations for solo/group/raid play for that reason alone.
TomTom - Really useful for moving around in zones without having to double check your map all the time, but addons that integrate with it (hello RareCoordinator) are extremely obnoxious about peppering your map with waypoints
Quartz - I like huge cast bars above the center of my screen so I know when and what to interrupt during a fight. But Quartz sucks.
AckisRecipe - good for finding out what is missing, but it's not so great otherwise.
Gatherer - I used to love this mod, but lately I've found it less useful and now it's just kind of there in my addons because inertia. It's more useful in a guild full of people gathering because if they have Gatherer it adds nodes to your map that you may not have ever seen.

Addons I'm not going to use in 6.0 unless it becomes absolutely necessary:
Omen - I haven't needed a threat meter since Karazhan. Threat is such a pointless mechanic.
DPS Meters of any kind - These just seem like a license to be a dick to your raid/group/etc. These days I only use them to find out how and why people died, and even then I don't really learn much other than 'oh he stood in the fire.'
oQueue - worst behaved addon I've ever installed. Ever.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16068-RealUI8.html

Much more customizable than Elv/Tuk when you want it to, but still a good starter UI package.

ElvUI and TukUI don't have enough bars, which may not be a problem in WoD, but why limit yourself when you don't have to?

Never heard of RealUI yet. I'm willing to try this just for the fact that Elvui is a fucking pain in the ass just if you want to see your target's positive buffs

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Makiwara/simple

Thoughts? I've never been able to see how I fare once it gets to the later portions of the fight due to MC's but I don't want to waste time setting up an OQ group just to find out I'm too undergeared.

No tanks want to evaluate my toon and tell me if I can solo tank 10M Garrosh?

That will be unfortunate if true. Perhaps it's time they add a 3rd primary profession. With the bonuses from professions going away, it shouldn't be too OP.

Not only that but I was just reading, and apparently old enchants won't work on ilvl 600+ gear. And apparently they're going to limit what gear is enchanted...

.....It seems they're giving Jewelcrafting, Enchanting a run for their money with the lack of enchants or well, gem slots that aren't considered 'necessary(JC because apparently alot of gear won't have slots, and only have a chance at a slot?)

vocab

No tanks want to evaluate my toon and tell me if I can solo tank 10M Garrosh?

depends if your healers are good or not. As long as you can mitigate smoothly, and hold aggro with adds it shouldnt be a problem. 560 is a good minimum, you just need to know your shit.

depends if your healers are good or not. As long as you can mitigate smoothly, and hold aggro with adds it shouldnt be a problem. 560 is a good minimum, you just need to know your shit.

Doesn't seem too hard. I have a lot of cooldowns for every big AOE and adds are never a problem if people stack. Thank you for the feedback.

.....It seems they're giving Jewelcrafting, Enchanting a run for their money with the lack of enchants or well, gem slots that aren't considered 'necessary(JC because apparently alot of gear won't have slots, and only have a chance at a slot?)
This has been happening for a while. TBC had common quality vendor gems and 3 gem slots on quest rewards, and made JCs happy by making epic gems and their cuts raid-only.

Ever since that we've seen common quality gems become vendor trash and gem slots disappear from everything except level-cap gear.

Kraftwerk

So, is JC going to be useless in WoD? I haven't been following the profession side of things on beta. My warrior is JC/ENG.

My monk - which I am going to main in wod - is skinning/LW, will probably keep him that way.

I never really find a need to change professions based on what's going to be better and what isn't.

Unless you are min/maxing to get every single itty bitty drop of output, aren't the differences pretty small? I've had JC on my paladin since BC and I've been a tailor/enc on my warlock since Vanilla and I'd rather not lose all my recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom