• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
oWsILXU.png

Dunno who they are :(

So is Blizzard ever going to fix the broken piece of shit that is current AV for Horde? A Cataclysm for BGs?

Cause I really want to punch something in the face right now, it's stupidly imbalanced. The Bridge choke, the Towers being easier to defend than the bunkers with fewer people, the horrible Horde base that Alliance reaches faster, etc.

And all that might not even matter if the mechanics meant something, but it's almost always zerg vs. zerg and Alliance have multiple clear advantages, especially when it comes to that. In turtle-fests and/or if the Alliance is all pushed back to base after wiping or something, Horde usually ekes out a win.

Fix the fucking Stables being closer to the spawn than the Farm in AB while you're at it.

yesimad

So is Blizzard ever going to fix the broken piece of shit that is current AV for Horde? A Cataclysm for BGs?

Cause I really want to punch something in the face right now, it's stupidly imbalanced. The Bridge choke, the Towers being easier to defend than the bunkers with fewer people, the horrible Horde base that Alliance reaches faster, etc.

And all that might not even matter if the mechanics meant something, but it's almost always zerg vs. zerg and Alliance have multiple clear advantages, especially when it comes to that. In turtle-fests and/or if the Alliance is all pushed back to base after wiping or something, Horde usually ekes out a win.

Fix the fucking Stables being closer to the spawn than the Farm in AB while you're at it.

yesimad

I remember playing horde back in the day when they changed the starting location. (The horde used to start much much much closer to the field of strife) AV has never been a balanced battleground, and that's part of the fun.

Quake1028

Hit 85 yesterday afternoon, finished up in Uldum and made my way to Pandaria, finally. Thunder Hold was really kicking my butt for a while, so hard not to aggro 3-4+ mobs there at once. Been pretty smooth sailing since then, just killed Kong and picked up 5 new quests. Having a ton of fun, got some 372 pieces already.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any reason why they made it so you could buy the ICC stuff with justice tokens but none in particular after that? Just seems like a way not to have the raid finder colors or whatever go to waste.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Any reason why they made it so you could buy the ICC stuff with justice tokens but none in particular after that? Just seems like a way not to have the raid finder colors or whatever go to waste.

It's less about ICC being buyable with justice and more that it WAS buyable with valor. In Cata they decided they didn't want valor-purchasable tier token pieces, so when cata valor got moved to justice, the tier pieces were never there in the first place.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of ICC... i went to try to solo the 10 man version with my hunter yesterday for the bow that drop from the 2nd boss... only to realize too late that i can't do the 1st boss since i get stuck on a spike thanks to the boss mechanisms thinking we're 2 players because of my pet. Maybe i should dual spec to MM instead, they don't rely on their pets so much, so i could dismiss it... i guess.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Speaking of ICC... i went to try to solo the 10 man version with my hunter yesterday for the bow that drop from the 2nd boss... only to realize too late that i can't do the 1st boss since i get stuck on a spike thanks to the boss mechanisms thinking we're 2 players because of my pet. Maybe i should dual spec to MM instead, they don't rely on their pets so much, so i could dismiss it... i guess.

You can't just target the ice spike and tell your pet to attack it?

Jag

So I tried my hand at multiboxing two toons with the $5 WoW purchase that gave a free month. Rolled a Shammy and a Druid and fitted them with some mismatched heirlooms for the XP bonuses. So between my level 25 guild, heirlooms and the triple XP I set off.

I did some research and it looked like Pwnboxer was the easiest to use So I grabbed that and made a macro for focus/follow/assist. I then hotkeyed wrath and lightning bolt to the one key and healing to the 2 key.

I got them both to level 20 pretty quickly and even tried a WSG. I didn't realize Blizz removed follow in BGs so I had both screens side by side and was able to cap 2 flags manually playing both toons!

My favorite part was when they both got travel forms and I was able to shift them with one keyclick. Now that I can ride, I'm using my 2 person motorbike rather than follow. Once I get glyphs, I'll have the shammy mount the druid.

So far, it's been pretty easy spamming one button. Anyone do any multiboxing have some tips, tricks or good macros?

Bisnic

You can't just target the ice spike and tell your pet to attack it?

I tried, but my pet decided to go back to the boss instead and i got killed by the ice under the spike. I was like : "Wtf pet? I told you to attack the spike, don't go back to the boss! *Dead*" Maybe he wanted vengeance for all the times i let him die in the past.

Maybe i should give it another try or just ask a guild member.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could likely 3-man normal 10 man Dragon Soul up to the spine right? I just want the tier tokens. I ran it yesterday with like 5 people(all dps), and I didn't really check DPS, but it didn't seem amazing. I figure with a healer and 2 good dps we could handle it.

Das Ace

yesimad

People have been bitching at Blizzard to fix Alterac Valley since since they added the timer way back in 2.3, just over 6 years ago (And yes, Blizz did a bunch of shit to fuck it up before then, but that was the major blow.). Every expansion they say they are won't go back to Alterac Valley because they'd rather spend resources on new world pvp zones like Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad (which people deserted after the end of the expansion), and new battlegrounds like Isle of Conquest (yay walls...), and now in Warlords, Ashran.

Basically, don't hold your breath.

(yes, I'm bitter.)

Anoregon

I got 7 secrets of the empire last night just from wing 1 of SoO and the last 2 wings of ToT.

I am ok with this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Probably can't transmog a MH+OH caster combo to staffs hm? seems silly not to. It's not like you're meleeing with it.

Also, here's what I want out of WoD questing. More flavor unique to your character. They kind of did this in MoP but not near as much as they could have. A little bit goes a LONG way. What I mean is like how Lorewalker talks about the race you're from, or how the kids talk about how your ears 'flop' if you're an elf or why you're so short if you're a goblin. Stuff like that. Give it a little more flavor, it makes questing more fun and helps the game feel like an RPG rather than an mmorpg. Feels like you are a character instead of simply an avatar. It doesn't have to be voiced either, but I'd love to have my character be acknowledged for being a Warlock, for example. Maybe just a small reference to Gul'Dan. MoP started doing it then they just kind of gave up.

Tacitus_

I tried, but my pet decided to go back to the boss instead and i got killed by the ice under the spike. I was like : "Wtf pet? I told you to attack the spike, don't go back to the boss! *Dead*" Maybe he wanted vengeance for all the times i let him die in the past.

Maybe i should give it another try or just ask a guild member.

Put your pet behaviour to manual and it'll do as you ask. I killed it on my warlock that way.

Grabbed my cloak last night and finished my Black Prince quest line so I'm officially done with LFR. If I do anything, it'll be Ordos to upgrade any gear that still needs replacing.

CassSept

Rösti;94062484 said:
Some yuletide photos from Ironforge.

http://abload.de/img/yule19r5ec1.png[IMG]

[I]CRZ-Ironforge. Wonder what it looks like on Draenor (EU) or Argent Dawn (EU). Ah well...[/I]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/yule14quizr.png[IMG]
/.../

[I]Greatfather Winter himself.[/I]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/yule66vibo.png[IMG]

[I]And what do you want for Christmas, little boy? Well, WoD beta of course![/I][/QUOTE]

Dude.

[b][i]Duuuude[/b][/i]

The game looked better on my old '02 PC and I don't think I'm even exaggerating. How is that even possible.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Dude.

Duuuude

The game looked better on my old '02 PC and I don't think I'm even exaggerating. How is that even possible.
To get a decent framerate, I'm forced to run the game under very low settings. I used to play in 640x480, but since 5.4 I haven't been able to do that. The images are originally 800x600, but here rezised to 1280x960 to better show how the game looks for me when I play in fullscreen mode. Most of the settings are way below that which you can achieve with the ingame "sliders".

Got my lock over that level 5X hump. He's 60.5 and in Outland now.

Probably gonna let him build up some rest for a bit though since I've been grinding him pretty hard. Will make him breeze through 60-70 with dungeon runs.

Can go back and work on my Mage who's 73 now, Priest at 75 though I have to relearn her and redo all the keybinds, especially if I want to heal. Or I have a new Hunter I started up, plus a 17 Druid who's new as well. Not to mention a 30-some Pally with tank and DPS gear. Lots of options.

Edit: Got shoulders off Siegecrafter. Would be sidegrade, but completes my 4-piece set bonus! Icy Spikes in the face! Have no clue how much extra DPS that adds though, can't find a source quickly. Seems like it should be pretty good. Without knowing how much it adds, seems like the UH bonus might be better though.

Bisnic

Rösti;94159579 said:
To get a decent framerate, I'm forced to run the game under very low settings. I used to play in 640x480, but since 5.4 I haven't been able to do that. The images are originally 800x600, but here rezised to 1280x960 to better show how the game looks for me when I play in fullscreen mode. Most of the settings are way below that which you can achieve with the ingame "sliders".

But... why? You could get much better results with a PC from 2008. Is your PC over 10 years old or what?

mmmm, the zones themselves are definitely unchanged, trash etc.

The changes are minor and maybe I didn't see these strats in your guide but

1) You can no longer skip the trash before Sha of Doubt without invis pots. We ended up changing which trash before the library boss to skip and ended up with one extra trash mob kill, NBD.
2) This pull order before the first boss of Siege either doesn't work or requires a glitch that wasn't obvious. We found the boss still unattackable when we tried it.

Siege also has the big difference that you can't tank the 2nd boss at the bottom of the ramp and keep him there anymore, he charges people at the top of the stairs, so that fight is completely different (nearly impossible to use sap on him).

There are probably more changes my group hasn't come across yet, but at least some cheese is still possible (purifying spirits in Shadopan Monastery, for example)

Beth Cyra

WooT.

Finally got my White Polar Bear from the Dailly. So yet another Rare Mount is down and thankfully I haven't had to attempt to spend crazy amounts of Gold on the Black Market.

Just redownloaded WoW after a 4 year break. Last time I played I was raiding 25 Ulduar. Haven't touched Cat or MoP. I'm ready to get back to it. I'll probably start with my 80 warlock and switch to my 80 DK to alternate the rest.

Couple of questions though:

Should I use the MoP trial before having one of you all resurrect me? Or will that make me ineligible?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
But... why? You could get much better results with a PC from 2008. Is your PC over 10 years old or what?
No, it's only four years old. But I have a bad, integrated graphics card. And my CPU ain't very fast either. It doesn't really matter though, framerate is more important to me than pretty graphics (at least in WoW). I probably have to upgrade for WoD however.

Just redownloaded WoW after a 4 year break. Last time I played I was raiding 25 Ulduar. Haven't touched Cat or MoP. I'm ready to get back to it. I'll probably start with my 80 warlock and switch to my 80 DK to alternate the rest.

Couple of questions though:

Should I use the MoP trial before having one of you all resurrect me? Or will that make me ineligible?

The MOP trial makes you ineligible, I believe.

TheYanger

The changes are minor and maybe I didn't see these strats in your guide but

1) You can no longer skip the trash before Sha of Doubt without invis pots. We ended up changing which trash before the library boss to skip and ended up with one extra trash mob kill, NBD.
2) This pull order before the first boss of Siege either doesn't work or requires a glitch that wasn't obvious. We found the boss still unattackable when we tried it.

Siege also has the big difference that you can't tank the 2nd boss at the bottom of the ramp and keep him there anymore, he charges people at the top of the stairs, so that fight is completely different (nearly impossible to use sap on him).

There are probably more changes my group hasn't come across yet, but at least some cheese is still possible (purifying spirits in Shadopan Monastery, for example)

1 and 2 are both incorrect. 2 absolutely works, you need to kill only specific groups to activate the boss.

The charging guy was fixed a long time ago, that's true. You can still easily throw puddles :) Make a line of them between the ranged and him, and he'll run over them and back every time, getting lots of stacks.

Oh, in that case can someone send me a Res scroll?

Ideally, I'd like to get in with a pretty active guild right off the bat. I'll be grinding to 90 pretty hard and will be looking to dungeon it up or whatever. I also used to do a lot of PvP and liked the arena scene. Let me know if any of you are open to welcome a returning player and I'll send you my email!

Edit:

Should I buy MoP before activating the scroll or wait until after?

Bisnic

Which spirit beast is the easiest to tame? I want one for my hunter. I assume Ghostcrawler is probably out of the question.

Jag

Which spirit beast is the easiest to tame? I want one for my hunter. I assume Ghostcrawler is probably out of the question.

Easiest to find? Ghostcrawler was actually very easy because so few people make the trip.

Skoll and Arcturus in WOTLK are pretty fast respawns. The porcupines in MOP can be tough, but easy if you are good at kiting.

Blackage

yesimad

I think AV is the only battleground the Alliance has a positive win ratio on heh.

Fjordson

The two tigers in Hyjal were the easiest for me. Never really any competition for those spawns.

Ghostcrawler isn't terrible either, he's so far out of the way tucked into the corner of Abyssal Depths so there's rarely other hunters around. Though he seems to have an insanely long spawn timer. At least in my experience.

Hardest I think are Arcturus, Skoll and Loque'nahak. Always a handful of other hunters camping their spawns.

Bah, having issues installing Ventrilo. Gives me a fatal error partway through the install wizard.

Which is kind of silly since I have both Mumble and Teamspeak installed, but the WoW crowd seems to mostly use Vent. WoW = Vent, EVE = Teamspeak, DotaGAF/Other = Mumble.

I don't have Skype or Raidcall installed either, but people don't use those as often (at least for gaming.)

But I had signed up for an OpenRaid then had to cancel it because of this issue, figuring that they'd be using Vent.

Ultratech

Ghostcrawler isn't hard, it's just a matter of if he's up and you can find him.
(He phases in and out and you can't track him while he's phased out.)

Skoll, Gondria, Karoma, and the Tigers in Hyjal aren't too hard, it's just a matter of if they're up. (Remember to strip for the Tigers in Hyjal.)

Arcturis is the one people will straight-up camp, so that's prolly out of the question.

Ban'thalos is another one that people will often camp, and it can be tricky to get on the tree needed to try and tame it.
Very obvious when he's up though.

The porcupines have a fairly fast respawn rate, but have their own gimmicks for taming them and whatnot (i.e. usually kiting them until they're sub 20% health).
I'd say Green and Red aren't too bad; Blue can be a pain if you don't work out a path beforehand.

Bah, having issues installing Ventrilo. Gives me a fatal error partway through the install wizard.

Which is kind of silly since I have both Mumble and Teamspeak installed, but the WoW crowd seems to mostly use Vent. WoW = Vent, EVE = Teamspeak, DotaGAF/Other = Mumble.

I don't have Skype or Raidcall installed either, but people don't use those as often (at least for gaming.)

But I had signed up for an OpenRaid then had to cancel it because of this issue, figuring that they'd be using Vent.

I usually use Vent or Mumble. I've never really used TS.
I've used Raidcall before, but they had major issues that occasionally break their shit.

Beth Cyra

Hahaha

Holy shit.

I got the Polar Bear earlier, then I decided to run Stonecore, 5th run I got the Drake. Decide what the hell, go and run VP and get the Drake on my second run.

Three Rare Mounts in one day. Pretty damn good.

Probably not going to get another for like a year after this though.

ZenaxPure

Seems like they removed the ability to do random fights when you are max rank in the brawler's guild? :(

Didn't notice until now, was hanging out there with some friends and the que man was just all "go get a challenge card or gtfo."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The more I mess with it, the more I don't think companion pets or battle pets are interesting at all. Like, I saw the digital deluxe thing for Diablo 3, and it's like that's cool ... but when would I ever use it? For that first week then nothing, and I just don't think the Battle Pet combat's all that fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom