• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was doing some questing in Ashenvale to finish working on Seeker/Loremaster. I went looking for the last few I needed and flew around Demon Fall Canyon for a little while. Man, nostalgia central. In vanilla, for the longest time, I thought this was like the coolest place while leveling. It was the ultimate 'right, this is a Warcraft game' moment for me. Kind of fun how much going there brought me back to 2004.

mileS

Wait a sec, are all of those sets currently in the game for boosted characters? just watched a youtube video of someone boosting a Mage and they started with gear that looks like MoP leveling stuff. hmmm.

StMeph

Wait a sec, are all of those sets currently in the game for boosted characters? just watched a youtube video of someone boosting a Mage and they started with gear that looks like MoP leveling stuff. hmmm.

Those are vanilla level 60 dungeon sets. They aren't available in full in game anymore, after the multiple leveling dungeon revisions and updates. Many of the heirlooms are patterned after them (hello, Dreadmist).

The boosted gear has a different look for each class.

mileS

Those are vanilla level 60 dungeon sets. They aren't available in full in game anymore, after the multiple leveling dungeon revisions and updates. Many of the heirlooms are patterned after them (hello, Dreadmist).

The boosted gear has a different look for each class.

I'm asking if the pics linked are what you currently get for a new boosted character. I know I've seen the warrior and lock ones running around, but none of the others. And as I mentioned I watched a video of someone doing a boost and they ended up with gear that looks like MoP leveing stuff.

The detail put into the new sets is insane when you compare it to the old dungeon sets.

Boogdud

The detail put into the new sets is insane when you compare it to the old dungeon sets.

IMO the only effort they put in the new sets are shoulders and sometimes helms. They have remained relatively unchanged even from T1/2 sets. T2 sets, for example are still some of the best looking in the game. Pretty much template work.

edit: and yeah those sets in the pic look nothing like the boosted gear I've seen. Most are just pandaria green reskins.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Yeah, i boosted my undead priest like 2 weeks ago, and he got some MoP leveling kind of gear. Nothing at all like what's on the pic for priest.

Robin64

When you boost a Character post 6.0.2, you get gear with the same model as the gear on Character Creation and as seen above.

If you boosted a Character prior to 6.0.2, you got crappy MoP green gear.

mileS

When you boost a Character post 6.0.2, you get gear with the same model as the gear on Character Creation and as seen above.

Thanks for clearing this up.

IMO the only effort they put in the new sets are shoulders and sometimes helms. They have remained relatively unchanged even from T1/2 sets. T2 sets, for example are still some of the best looking in the game. Pretty much template work.

edit: and yeah those sets in the pic look nothing like the boosted gear I've seen. Most are just pandaria green reskins.
Can't say the only effort was shoulders at all. If you actually compare the old textures on the dungeon sets to the textures on the new sets, It's clear they put a decent amount of effort in. The pics posted don't fully do it justice either. If you see the difference in game its pretty big.

ampere

The character selection screen gear sets should be available from Garrisons as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Royal Satchel prices drop down since Spirits of Harmony stopped being character-bound? Was wondering if I should buy them for my Hunter now or wait for the WoD equivalent.

Royal Satchel prices drop down since Spirits of Harmony stopped being character-bound? Was wondering if I should buy them for my Hunter now or wait for the WoD equivalent.

The WoD bag is gonna be prohibitively expensive for a good while, all for what...2 extra slots. I would get Royal Satchels.

I mean look at the mats for the new Hexweave Bag:

100 Hexweave Cloth (Which requires 20 Sumptous Fur and 10 Gorgrong Fly trap PER Hexweave Cloth)....

10 Sorcerous Earth

All for one bag that has two more slots.

Welp I gave in and transferred my first toon. Went from Thunderlord to Stormrage. Thunderlord is dead. The AH is even more dead. And the previous benefit of having a better chance to find mats and rares easier because of the low population has been negated by cross-realm for over a year now.

The WoD bag is gonna be prohibitively expensive for a good while, all for what...2 extra slots. I would get Royal Satchels.

100 Hexweave Cloth (Which requires 20 Sumptous Fur and 10 Gorgrong Fly trap PER Hexweave Cloth)....

10 Sorcerous Earth

Suddenly my continued production of imperial silk is justified. I think I've made over 80 royal satchels by now off of two tailoring alts.

Don't think these have been posted yet, but Blizzard updated their WoW YouTube channel with a bunch of DPS guides for some specs.

While I highly doubt anyone here would need these, it's nice for someone like me who hasn't played for a year and can see some of the changes. Though, thinking about it now, they really don't show that much. Actually, the best part is seeing the new combat animations. That and, "..this class uses mana, but that'll never big a big concern," always gave me a laugh.

Speaking of class / spec changes, where's a good place to get videos of information? I've read most of the patch notes, but for something like this, it'd be better see it while being explained.

Magnus

I upgraded to an SSD yesterday. Having to re-configure all my add-ons sure is fun!

(I didn't copy/paste over my old addons or anything. Wanted to be completely fresh)

I copy pasted my addon folder, even with a fresh reinstall of a different client (went from nonSSD/32-bit to SSD/64-bit on a new install of W7). Works like a charm!

Magnus

10 Sorcerous Earth

Who even needs it really. With the changes to void storage, reagent banks, stack quantity, and reagent crafting from bank, I have oodles and oodles of space now. Way better things to spend gold on.

ampere

Yep. I did mention that. ;)

I really like them, nice and simple and they really suit the class they're for.

Ah missed that. Yea they are neat. I made a costume for the Monk character screen outfit, which was surprisingly hard given how basic it is...

Who even needs it really. With the changes to void storage, reagent banks, stack quantity, and reagent crafting from bank, I have oodles and oodles of space now. Way better things to spend gold on.

Oh I agree, but there will always be a market for it. My void storage is filled up already, that is with me deleting 20+ pieces. There really just isn't much to spend gold on, that will change with WoD though. Royal Satchels are a must buy imo, 2k a piece on my server...easily worth it. I've sold 8-10 since 6.0.2 dropped.

The Hexweave Bag is just way to expensive imo.

It lengthens the amount of time you can play without having to retreat to a vendor to dump shit out. Timeless Isle was particularly problematic here given the sheer variety of things that end up in your bags while doing a Rare Elite tour for daily/weekly quests. +8 bagslots probably won't make a huge difference if you're already running full Royals, but to be honest it's a nuisance to have to constantly dump things or run to a vendor.

Also I'm a packrat with gear ever since challenge modes became a thing. 'oh that combo of secondary stats might be useful' and bam it sits in my bank for the length of an expansion. I imagine the problem gets worse if you care about things like transmog or RP gear.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It lengthens the amount of time you can play without having to retreat to a vendor to dump shit out. Timeless Isle was particularly problematic here given the sheer variety of things that end up in your bags while doing a Rare Elite tour for daily/weekly quests. +8 bagslots probably won't make a huge difference if you're already running full Royals, but to be honest it's a nuisance to have to constantly dump things or run to a vendor.

Also I'm a packrat with gear ever since challenge modes became a thing. 'oh that combo of secondary stats might be useful' and bam it sits in my bank for the length of an expansion. I imagine the problem gets worse if you care about things like transmog or RP gear.

Just buy the mammoth mount that have a vendor and bag space full of junk will never be an issue. I think it's like 16k gold with exalted reputation, which isn't that bad.

Just buy the mammoth mount that have a vendor and bag space full of junk will never be an issue. I think it's like 16k gold with exalted reputation, which isn't that bad.

Still would have full Royal's, but I agree and I'll probably buy one. Never really needed it because I have Royal satchels and I'm an engineer (mailbox/jeeves).

I think the current expac event grants talents or something. I'm not playing, just read that somewhere.

From the patch notes;
Newly Boosted Characters now start on the front lines in the Blasted Lands, doing whatever they can to stop the Iron Horde pouring out of The Dark Portal and start with a basic set of spells and abilities for their class. Characters unlock the rest of their spells and abilities by advancing through the Iron Horde Incursion world event in the Blasted Lands.

Slight bummer but better than nothing.

StMeph

The mammoth takes care of most, if not all, vendor needs out in the wild.

But I agree that bags get filled up fast with situational gear or non-Toy toys/trinkets and currencies.

Yeah so that's a weird feeling. Made the transfer and immediately there is mass spamming of heroic garrosh runs and raid groups. Went ahead and got the heroic heirloom for 7.5k. Now to find a decent guild that doesn't expect too much out of me.

vocab

Them sudden death nerfs. Guess Slam might pull ahead for pve now, or be equal.

The fact that gladiator is the top warrior dps spec right now....ya someone fucked up. I expect another nerf to that spec so warriors are in the middle of the road which is the best you can hope for. Being at the top is nice but it doesn't last long.

So what should i gem my heirloom with as a demo lock? 3 red sockets. initially i was just gonna go straight intellect, but from what i'm reading on a few sites that's not the way to go?

Magnus

Oh I agree, but there will always be a market for it. My void storage is filled up already, that is with me deleting 20+ pieces. There really just isn't much to spend gold on, that will change with WoD though. Royal Satchels are a must buy imo, 2k a piece on my server...easily worth it. I've sold 8-10 since 6.0.2 dropped.

The Hexweave Bag is just way to expensive imo.

I have 60k for the first time in 10 years of playing this game; I only ever really had between 10-20k most of the last decade, haha.

Even with 60k now, 2k is a lot for two slots. I can't stomach it. I also don't think they're that 'cheap' yet on Mal'ganis.

My Void Storage tabs are both full with old gear, though. Mostly tier sets and weapons I thought looked cool.

I have 60k for the first time in 10 years of playing this game; I only ever really had between 10-20k most of the last decade, haha.

Even with 60k now, 2k is a lot for two slots. I can't stomach it. I also don't think they're that 'cheap' yet on Mal'ganis.

My Void Storage tabs are both full with old gear, though. Mostly tier sets and weapons I thought looked cool.

Well this is the first expansion (Mists) that I have had the means to actually use large bags. Came into Mists with mostly Embersilk bags, maybe one Illusionary Bag. Going to full Royal Satchels at 2k a pop is worth it. That is six extra per bag. I have zero intention of switching to hexweave bags though.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I watched a few of those the other day. They are really helpful for understanding class basics. Wish you could access them in game.

Yeah, they seem like something you should have to watch when you use a boost in-game.

Can you still get the wolf mount from garrosh?

Negatory, removed in 6.0. You can still get the juggernaught from mythic until WoD release proper though.

Ultratech

Yup. 16k sounds like quite a bit, but having those vendors accessible anywhere you can mount is a lifesaver and nice QoL perk.

I hear you there. That's about how I was prior to 6.0.2.

Luckily, the patch allowed me to free up a lot of space, so I actually have some significant room in my bags again for stuff, as well as some Void Storage space (which I'm sure will fill up quite soon).

Can't say the only effort was shoulders at all. If you actually compare the old textures on the dungeon sets to the textures on the new sets, It's clear they put a decent amount of effort in. The pics posted don't fully do it justice either. If you see the difference in game its pretty big.

True. Most of the sets are quite well done, while others less so.
(Notably, the DK set is just the starter set and Hunter set is pretty lackluster.)

Something I just found out the other day was that some of the booster weapons are unique and some of them don't look too bad.

Holy crap. Managed to get into a heroic Garry group where we wiped the first time because Feathermoon crashed and took seven people with it and then we nailed it the second time and everyone got a heirloom weapon. Seriously couldn't have asked for better. Considerate peeps too waiting for the Feathermoon guys to come back and not auto-kicking them. Rad stuff.

Holy crap. Managed to get into a heroic Garry group where we wiped the first time because Feathermoon crashed and took seven people with it and then we nailed it the second time and everyone got a heirloom weapon. Seriously couldn't have asked for better. Considerate peeps too waiting for the Feathermoon guys to come back and not auto-kicking them. Rad stuff.

Yep, heirloom's are guaranteed for your first kill per difficulty. Do note, DK's if you are wanting the two handed axe set your specialization to Unholy. Frost will potentially give you the one hander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom