• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
490 is well, well above what you will get from running dungeons.

You will want to move into LFR to gear up from there, Throne of Thunder is available around 480-90 iirc.

Don't even bother with dungeons (except ubrs). They are the biggest waste of time in MoP.

Thanks. Do you think there is even much point in trying to improve gear at this point? I remember in the past, a new WoW expansion meant that the greens you'd be getting a few levels in would be better than most of the best gear from the previous version of the game.

rallaren

Solo mode is painfully boring. I got to 90 (from 85/86), got some timeless gear, maxed professions but I've just had it.

Trying to lvl up a new char but it's hard past 10.

oktarb

Thanks. Do you think there is even much point in trying to improve gear at this point? I remember in the past, a new WoW expansion meant that the greens you'd be getting a few levels in would be better than most of the best gear from the previous version of the game.

I've been fighting to get to 525 so I can run Siege of Ogrim. You get a free Heirloom from there I hear. So far I'm at 502. Very tough grind imo. I run a priest so I get Raids pretty quickly but its still just RNG for gear. I've gotten one piece above the 496 gear from timeless isles. One piece out of about 20 raids.

oktarb

Solo mode is painfully boring. I got to 90, got some timeless gear, maxed professions but I've just had it.

Trying to lvl up a new char but it's hard past 10.

Heirlooms are your friend. That or sell blood for $60 bucks and power boost. I don't recommend it but ya solo leveling can be lonely, painful and grindy as hell.

ampere

Full Warforged Mythic level gear with an Heirloom weapon will at least last until almost level 100 quest blues. You absolutely won't replace high end raid epics with early greens. I think at level 98 there start to be some quest rewards that beat upgraded Mythic SoO gear.

In MoP leveling my guildies said they weren't getting upgrades until Townlong Steppes. I made a Monk so everything was an upgrade in my case.

That being said you will be able to level regardless of your gear, it just might be a bit slower.

Jag

I've been fighting to get to 525 so I can run Siege of Ogrim. You get a free Heirloom from there I hear. So far I'm at 502. Very tough grind imo. I run a priest so I get Raids pretty quickly but its still just RNG for gear. I've gotten one piece above the 496 gear from timeless isles. One piece out of about 20 raids.

You can also get a guaranteed drop from a blazing chest on the TI that let's you upgrade an armor token to 535. I think the headless horseman rings are 540. Roll on all of them, 2 rings will at least bump up your score.

StMeph

The heirlooms only drop from Garrosh on Normal or higher. No heirlooms in LFR.

Curiously... so far we haven't datamined a mount with vendors on it from Draenor yet, have we? I'm tempted to pull the level on the mount in Dal but if I can just save my gold for a Draenor one, I'd rather do that.

I'll never have my grand yak. :(

Acosta

Well, back again, this time I resubbed for a year.

I'm not really sure what to do. I have a warlock in 85, a DK in 83 and a warrior in 40 (also, a rogue in 87, but it's in a PVP server I don't plan to go back).

I got a bit tired of the DK and the run dance, so I don't think I'm willing to go back. My warlock is fun, demon is a bit crazy now and destruction it's really straightforward, which I like, but I remember back in the time when I got really bored of the distance dps style. At the same time, I always thought a warrior if the greatest class for transmog with Titan's Grip and plate, easily my most envied class when I'm inspecting others stuff. But at level 40 I realized I just had not the will to go all the way again to max level.

I'm really considering preordering online and get the boost. But I have my doubts, will I enjoy playing like a 90 warrior DPS? wouldn't be more interesting to use that boost for a monk, that looks like a really fun class?

Any tip is appreciated.

(I'm really glad to be back to WoW ;) returning is always great).

Still wondering about this...

I was leveling my warlock (86) and got terribly bored of the Immo+Confla+Ember with some Shadowburn if I had time.

My main motivations for playing now is gear and fun skills. I went from warlock to DK because I loved the archetype of warrior with spells, and then I went to rogue because I loved shadowstep. I decided to go back to the warlock, but 6 levels in and I'm bored of it and my transmog possibilities are not really exciting at all.

I decided to go with my DK to solo Anq-Qiraj, for the sake of it. I had never tried solo it before , and of course it was easy at 83 (except twins, that I had to use a positioning trick I saw in youtube). I loved Silithius and AQ back in time, it was mysterious, cool looking and aspirational as a casual like me could never get into an AQ 40, so it was kinda nostalgic. Here is a pic.

s0wonBc.jpg

It was a bit of a waste, no exp at all, and very little chance of getting some cool weapon as I didn't have the rep, neither could get quests rewards as DK. But I just wanted to play without thinking on what I should do next, aside of remembering how cool looking is wearing a plate.

I'm still torn between leveling the warlock in hope it will be funnier in 5man/raids, pay to go with my old dream of a warrior, or pay to get something new and different like the monk.

(Sorry for the rambling, hope I'm not being annoying sharing this)

vocab

Destro is boring. It's made for people who like to see big numbers from chaos bolt. That's it. The only thing you get in WoD is more embers from charred remains and multistrike chaos bolts. That's is the end of your spectacle.

Demo is more interesting, and aff....no thanks.

I wouldn't boost a monk simply because you get a daily exp bonus. Add that on top of herilooms, and you just fly through levels.

Monks/DK's, and warriors are the funnest solo classes in the game.

Anyway, Soloed all of 25Ulduar with the new changes. It was fine.

StayDead

I just spent a thousand gold on my paladin (I only had 1.8k) learning all the inscription recipes I missed due to the boost of 1-600. Damn X_X

Still gotta do the same for enchants.

ampere

I'm still torn between leveling the warlock in hope it will be funnier in 5man/raids, pay to go with my old dream of a warrior, or pay to get something new and different like the monk.

(Sorry for the rambling, hope I'm not being annoying sharing this)

Def not, it's cool to take a trip to old stuff sometimes for fun. I never did any raiding until Wrath, so when I wander the BC zones and raids sometimes it's neat since I always wanted to raid in them at 70.

I'd tell ya to go for it playing Warrior or Monk! They are both super fun and highly mobile classes. If mobility is important to you (it is to me) then you will love playing them. Warriors have Charge and Leap; Monks have Roll and Transcendence (and Flying Serpent Kick as dps).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Full Warforged Mythic level gear with an Heirloom weapon will at least last until almost level 100 quest blues. You absolutely won't replace high end raid epics with early greens. I think at level 98 there start to be some quest rewards that beat upgraded Mythic SoO gear.

In MoP leveling my guildies said they weren't getting upgrades until Townlong Steppes. I made a Monk so everything was an upgrade in my case.

That being said you will be able to level regardless of your gear, it just might be a bit slower.

Good to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be replacing everything by level 92 or something in the new expansion. I still need to get used to group play/raid play, so doing that kind of stuff will give me something to do before the expansion is released.

Any general guides out there on level 90 progression in MoP? Like, what's the best place to start, and when is a good time to move on to whatever the next step is?

Short of paying for a run, whats the easiest way to get an heirloom int staff and str 2H weapon for my WoD leveling? I have an undergeared paladin, dk, and monk at 90 at the moment. I also dont have a ton of gold. Any chance of seeing two heroic garrosh kills without buying them before the expac gets here?

vocab

Short of paying for a run, whats the easiest way to get an heirloom int staff and str 2H weapon for my WoD leveling? I have an undergeared paladin, dk, and monk at 90 at the moment. I also dont have a ton of gold. Any chance of seeing two heroic garrosh kills without buying them before the expac gets here?

Pugging them your self. If you dont want to pay that's the only way of getting one. or find a guild that will carry you through mythic like I did.

StMeph

My main motivations for playing now is gear and fun skills. I went from warlock to DK because I loved the archetype of warrior with spells, and then I went to rogue because I loved shadowstep. I decided to go back to the warlock, but 6 levels in and I'm bored of it and my transmog possibilities are not really exciting at all.

Just sounds like you should play all of them for a bit to figure out what class you personally enjoy. I'm not sure that anyone else will be able to just tell you what to play, since we have just about every conceivable main here.

Running old raids once would just be to see the set/lore. Any more than that would only be worthwhile if you're chasing specific items for transmog.

Use the LFG tool to find a group willing to take you, or a guild run on your server. Raise your average ilevel to improve your odds. I wouldn't count on a Heroic or Mythic kill if your ilevel is really low and you don't know anyone, but a Normal should be fairly easy to get into if you're ilevel 540 or so.

Jag

Curiously... so far we haven't datamined a mount with vendors on it from Draenor yet, have we? I'm tempted to pull the level on the mount in Dal but if I can just save my gold for a Draenor one, I'd rather do that.

I'll never have my grand yak. :(

Doesn't look like it yet. I'd be surprised if they don't have one. I love my vendor mammoth, but never sprang for the Yak. If they don't put one in WoD, i'll probably go ahead and buy it.

Use the LFG tool to find a group willing to take you, or a guild run on your server. Raise your average ilevel to improve your odds. I wouldn't count on a Heroic or Mythic kill if your ilevel is really low and you don't know anyone, but a Normal should be fairly easy to get into if you're ilevel 540 or so.

but just to confirm, you won't get an heirloom in the LFR version, right?

Salamando

Lots of pugs will take a weakling if they can bring in a grossly overgeared friend or two.

There's also a nice BOA 2h Strength mace from Warlords Archaeology. Usable at 91, ilvl remains a constant 620. Better for levelling, but the Garrosh looms have the edge at 100. If you want the weapon for an alt, it's an option.

Acosta

ciaossu said:
Def not, it's cool to take a trip to old stuff sometimes for fun. I never did any raiding until Wrath, so when I wander the BC zones and raids sometimes it's neat since I always wanted to raid in them at 70.

I'd tell ya to go for it playing Warrior or Monk! They are both super fun and highly mobile classes. If mobility is important to you (it is to me) then you will love playing them. Warriors have Charge and Leap; Monks have Roll and Transcendence (and Flying Serpent Kick as dps).

Thanks! Yes, having a good mobility is really fun. Charge in warrior is fun, I was hoping leap is even better but I just got my warrior at 41.

StMeph said:
Just sounds like you should play all of them for a bit to figure out what class you personally enjoy. I'm not sure that anyone else will be able to just tell you what to play, since we have just about every conceivable main here.

Yeah, good tip thanks, I was trying that, but getting a monk to the level of seeing if it´s fun is too much for me. Aside of that I have been toying around with the other three. Went for the warlock as a kind of compromise, but after six levels I don't see it anymore.

I just went away and got the digital update (probably will get a physical CE too, but it takes a while to arrive anyway and I prefer to play as soon as possible when an expansion comes out).

Now for the big choice. I'll try to get a more info about the monk, but I really think it will be the warrior. I have wanted one since Titan's Grip existed and Belfs being able to be warriors makes it easier for me.

StayDead

I can't solo Malygos on my mage lol

I never did any raiding until Wrath, so when I wander the BC zones and raids sometimes it's neat since I always wanted to raid in them at 70.

I'm like that but with Vanilla, I found out today I started WoW literally a month after BC came out so I never experienced true vanilla. TBC is still my favourite time of WoW but Vanilla raids were cool as hell.

M.D

Are'nt you supposed to have a single chance to get a Titan Runestone on all difficulties ? I cleared all bosses on HC this week and did mythic earlier today with my guild and got 2 drops

I thought if you killed a boss on a certain difficulty and didn't get a drop you can't get a drop for the week even if you switch difficulty

Salamando

Are'nt you supposed to have a single chance to get a Titan Runestone on all difficulties ? I cleared all bosses on HC this week and did mythic earlier today with my guild and got 2 drops

I thought if you killed a boss on a certain difficulty and didn't get a drop you can't get a drop for the week even if you switch difficulty

How earlier today was it? All the drops and raids and whatnot reset on Tuesdays.

What ilvl should I be to get in on a pug of some normal mode raid? I don't care what raid it is, whatever's the easiest one. Although the only thing I ever see anyone do is SoO. Do people just not do the other raids? Keeping in mind I've never actually done anything other than LFR, am I just out of luck? Everyone wants people who know the fights etc.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

You could settle for normal kills. Just scan the group finder thing for groups already on Garrosh and looking for more people. I got all my characters weapons doing that and it only takes 5-10 minutes.

vocab

What ilvl should I be to get in on a pug of some normal mode raid? I don't care what raid it is, whatever's the easiest one. Although the only thing I ever see anyone do is SoO. Do people just not do the other raids? Keeping in mind I've never actually done anything other than LFR, am I just out of luck? Everyone wants people who know the fights etc.

The older raids are not flexible and they give lesser gear. Flex Siege gives 540. It's pointless. Id take anyone in flex above 520. If i knew you probably 510. I wouldn't care.

Freya 25N was kicking my butt as an ilvl 548 Affliction Lock last night. It was late, and I wasn't on my A game, but I think the lack of decent AoE hurt. Or maybe I was missing something -- I cleared all of the trash but got overwhelmed by adds and that stupid, stupid silence she does. =/

Fjordson

You can find groups for older MoP raids, but a lot of times they're like achievement runs or something.

The reason I think you aren't seeing many groups for them is that it's fairly easy to get fully geared for SoO outside of raids. So for people looking to just do that those older raids are sort of a waste of time for them.

I'd say you can do normal SoO at like 520-525 easily. Which isn't that tough to reach considering LFR gear upgrades into the 540's. I would keep doing LFR until you're in the 530's, and then just read some quick summaries on Wowhead. That's how I learned the bosses. Literally would alt+tab to Wowhead during trash and read some of the top comments regarding the boss I was about to do.

You get 3 or 4 pieces of 515+ for doing the quest chain in Blasted Lands. Also make sure you get the ring from the Headless Horseman event. Just run it until it drops.

I can't solo Malygos on my mage lol

What level is your mage? I know mages were simplified from what I've been reading but I have a tough time imagining at 90 any class and spec couldn't solo Malygos. Malygos melts super quickly with my enhancement shaman and I don't come close to dying and my only heals come from the glyph that gives me heals with flame shock.

At what point do you have problems? Just staying alive? Not able to get through the first phase?

Brofist

You can grind bgs for 550 PvP gear to fill in the gaps.

StayDead

What level is your mage? I know mages were simplified from what I've been reading but I have a tough time imagining at 90 any class and spec couldn't solo Malygos. Malygos melts super quickly with my enhancement shaman and I don't come close to dying and my only heals come from the glyph that gives me heals with flame shock.

At what point do you have problems? Just staying alive? Not able to get through the first phase?

Level 90, my gear isn't very good but I can't burn him quick enough to get him through the first phase before I die (she's my old main, alt now). I'll try again in a sec. I think I had an idea.

Silly question but how does raid lock work? Like I'm up to Malk in SoO and half the group decided to leave. So if I start a raid as leader it will start at Malk?

ampere

Wish it would increase my chances of getting mounts. Unless.. more loot = more chance of mounts? :p It's still like 1% chance to drop or something anyway.

Afaik this is the case for Cata raids, but Cata raids only. Higher drop chance on 25

Silly question but how does raid lock work? Like I'm up to Malk in SoO and half the group decided to leave. So if I start a raid as leader it will start at Malk?

Yes, whatever the raid leader is up to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom