• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

I keep getting logged out and when I log back in it's like I just used my Hearthstone and it's on cooldown. Is this typical server behaviour or am I getting hacked? Note: I have an authenticator.

Depends what you are looking for. Paladins are fun though.

You want to play a melee character? Are you looking for high mobility? Charge/leap/roll/teleport? Play a Monk or Warrior. If you way good self heals out of those two, Monk.

If you like powerful defensive abilities and self healing as a priority, Paladin is good. Or Death Knight.

Druid if you like shapeshifting and doing a lot of different things.

And of course Rogue if you want to be sneaky and kill from the shadows.

Keep in mind that all tank classes and dps classes are pretty well balanced nowadays so don't worry about picking the 'best' one.

For professions do you like gathering? Mining/herbing. If so, go for Blacksmithing/Mining fo a Pally, or Engineering/Mining. Or Leatherworking/skinning for the leather classes.

Any class that can tank will be pretty good at soloing, but Warriors have the weakest self heals out of the tanks. Prot Warriors can have some self heals if they stack the multistrike stat.

But I am sure you could do it on 10 if not 25.

Gotta get that Blazing Drake for the achieve!

edit:
Do remember though you have to do Spine of Deathwing and Madness on the same size I think. I tried spine on 10 last week and nothing was there on 25 madness, back to 10 and it showed up.

Does the drake drop on 10? I was gonna try deathwing once i hit 100. I'm focusing on firelands at the moment and ICC.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Nah the pre wrath event was amazing. You could turn into a ghoul and then infect other people. They had to hotfix it as on my server EVERYTHING in every major city wa a ghoul and nobody could do any quests haha.

I know, but it also had regular attacks on the major cities. I remember in Org, it was Garrosh, Thrall, Rexxar, and Sylvanas fighting off Aboms and frost wyrms.

Loxley

Pre-Naxx had a better event than most expansions -and that event sucked.

Ever since that first Scourge Invasion world event, the WoW community has romanticized it more and more with each passing year. I honestly believe that if most people went back and partook in that event again, they'd be terribly underwhelmed. The scourge invasion pre-Wrath was better in my opinion - felt much more intense than the first time around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pre-launch events is really the one time Blizz should be able to just go completely batshit with it and turn the world upside down for that small amount of time. Everyone who's gonna be leveling to 90 is already there, there's nothing else to do but wait for the launch especially when all you get is a shitty 20 minute quest chain. Make elite Orcs from different clans patrol places like Felwood, Dustwallow, etc, have some events with the Warlords in Azeroth, make those elites drop stuff to entice players to go kill them.

But I guess the storyline in WoD is that we get the portal cut off before the Iron Horde can make any kind of impact on Azeroth. Which is frankly very boring storytelling.
It didn't even do that :lol It was just a tabard

There were also some gear sets that were a recolor of the Judgement set

Undead Slayer, My friend's dad still has his set.

Magnus

Would anyone here be interested in purchasing my standard digital WoD key if I get one from blizzard? (As part of the reimbursement program they're doing for CE buyers)

Pre-launch events is really the one time Blizz should be able to just go completely batshit with it and turn the world upside down for that small amount of time. Everyone who's gonna be leveling to 90 is already there, there's nothing else to do but wait for the launch especially when all you get is a shitty 20 minute quest chain. Make elite Orcs from different clans patrol places like Felwood, Dustwallow, etc, have some events with the Warlords in Azeroth, make those elites drop stuff to entice players to go kill them.

But I guess the storyline in WoD is that we get the portal cut off before the Iron Horde can make any kind of impact on Azeroth. Which is frankly very boring storytelling.

Undead Slayer, My friend's dad still has his set.

Agreed 100%. This is the time to take some risks, even if they break a few things in the process. It's all just for a short while anyway. Why not go crazy for a bit and really shake things up?

Dicer

Banned
Resubbed last night, haven't been able to do fuck all with instance servers down and awful latency, and then they send me the 7day thing, lol Blizz.

Interfectum

Would anyone here be interested in purchasing my standard digital WoD key if I get one from blizzard? (As part of the reimbursement program they're doing for CE buyers)

Agreed 100%. This is the time to take some risks, even if they break a few things in the process. It's all just for a short while anyway. Why not go crazy for a bit and really shake things up?

They did that with the Wrath expansion and people went ape shit. Either way Blizzard loses.

I do agree with you though, I'd love to see more "shit hit the fan" moments in this game. They've crafted this dynamic, ever changing world... utilize it! Fuck shit up.

ampere

Does the drake drop on 10? I was gonna try deathwing once i hit 100. I'm focusing on firelands at the moment and ICC.

Blazing Drake absolutely drops on 10 and 25 normal. Saw it drop on 10 in Cata.

You might have to put it on heroic for the Life Binder's Handmaiden, but that can be 10 or 25 too.

If no one wants to buy it, just make a ticket and ask for battle.net credit or compensatory free months. I've heard you can get them to do that sometimes.

Magnus

Blazing Drake absolutely drops on 10 and 25 normal. Saw it drop on 10 in Cata.

You might have to put it on heroic for the Life Binder's Handmaiden, but that can be 10 or 25 too.

If no one wants to buy it, just make a ticket and ask for battle.net credit or compensatory free months. I've heard you can get them to do that sometimes.

ORLY?

I'd totally be in for that.

Edit- comments on the main thread of bitching and whining about this awful 'upgrade' process indicate that Blizzard's already shut down this avenue.

Edit2- I just tweeted at the chief CMs: let's see if I get a response. It really is an insulting and poor upgrade process, lol

Jag

Ever since that first Scourge Invasion world event, the WoW community has romanticized it more and more with each passing year. I honestly believe that if most people went back and partook in that event again, they'd be terribly underwhelmed. The scourge invasion pre-Wrath was better in my opinion - felt much more intense than the first time around.

My Haunted Memento disagrees with you.

Magnus

ORLY?

I'd totally be in for that.

Edit- comments on the main thread of bitching and whining about this awful 'upgrade' process indicate that Blizzard's already shut down this avenue.

Edit2- I just tweeted at the chief CMs: let's see if I get a response. It really is an insulting and poor upgrade process, lol

Not the best response from @Bashiok, but I'm glad he responded at all:

uttadAz.png

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I keep getting logged out and when I log back in it's like I just used my Hearthstone and it's on cooldown. Is this typical server behaviour or am I getting hacked? Note: I have an authenticator.

I got that too, it's when you're someplace you're not supposed to be so it /unstuck's you and uses your hearth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did the Throne of Thunder LFR last night, got Friendly with Shado-Pan assault and now I can buy some ilvl 522 gear. Don't have enough to buy up all of it yet, though.

I do have a question, though: how do you upgrade gear? I see a few of my pieces say "0/4." I read that you have to use 50 Lesser Charms of Fortune to upgrade a piece, but I can't find out where to do that.

TheYanger

The scourge invasion had some neat mechanics, it didn't have a lot of useful gear from it (I still have the undead set on my rogue for instance) but it DID have some cool stuff. It's definitely been more in depth than most of the pre-expac stuff. Not this though, this blasted lands questline is pretty sweet even if it's short.

cdyhybrid

I did the Throne of Thunder LFR last night, got Friendly with Shado-Pan assault and now I can buy some ilvl 522 gear. Don't have enough to buy up all of it yet, though.

I do have a question, though: how do you upgrade gear? I see a few of my pieces say "0/4." I read that you have to use 50 Lesser Charms of Fortune to upgrade a piece, but I can't find out where to do that.

There's an ethereal NPC in your faction's shrine in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Up near the transmog/void storage guys.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's an ethereal NPC in your faction's shrine in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Up near the transmog/void storage guys.

Thanks!

I've never been anywhere in Pandaria but the Timeless Isle, so I'll go search for that now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The scourge invasion had some neat mechanics, it didn't have a lot of useful gear from it (I still have the undead set on my rogue for instance) but it DID have some cool stuff. It's definitely been more in depth than most of the pre-expac stuff. Not this though, this blasted lands questline is pretty sweet even if it's short.
The Blasted Lands questline was obviously done with Alliance first in mind. I mean...why the hell are there dead orc vendors in Nethergarde?
It looks so rushed when you see it on both sides and there's little differences between them.
I mean even the poison the ogre soup quest sounded weird on Horde side : "Oh poison them because fuck them!" while Alliance is "they killed my friend, avenge him by poisoning those murderers!"

Salamando

What's going on with the CE that I've missed?

If you want your 90 boost + access to Draenor at launch + the physical Collector's Edition, here's what they suggest you do...1) Buy the normal Digital Version now...2) Buy the physical CE...3) When you redeem the physical CE code, you get the digital version's key back to give to a friend.

You end up spending about $140, and there's no way to get close to the full $50 back for the digital key you end up with. Would be so much simpler if you could just get back $50 in game time instead.

Magnus

Make sure you all redeem your 7 days of free game time that went out today. Looks like it stacks with existing subscriptions. :)

ampere

Make sure you all redeem your 7 days of free game time that went out today. Looks like it stacks with existing subscriptions. :)

Worked for me, thanks for the heads up! I had deleted the email assuming it was just for lapsed subs, though it did call out my main's name.

Not the best response from @Bashiok, but I'm glad he responded at all:

So I talked to a GM on the phone about this last week. She told me to call the day before (you can do this buy going through the ticket system, say you have a payment issue and blizz will call you) and say "I got a physical edition, please refund my money for the digital. She said they will refund the money and lock the boosted character. Once you put in your key on launch day from the physical box, the boosted character will unlock and you can go about your way.

Magnus

So I talked to a GM on the phone about this last week. She told me to call the day before (you can do this buy going through the ticket system, say you have a payment issue and blizz will call you) and say "I got a physical edition, please refund my money for the digital. She said they will refund the money and lock the boosted character. Once you put in your key on launch day from the physical box, the boosted character will unlock and you can go about your way.

Interesting!

One problem though...this doesn't get around the issue of wanting to play at 12am PST when the expansion goes live, since I take it that WoD will become inactive along with your refund between your GM phone call and actually putting in your Physical CE on launch day.

Jarnet87

I fear WoD launch day is going to suck so hard. If they are having trouble with the instance server, what can we expect when WoD comes out.

yeah will probably be a disaster day 1 lol. I just transfered my main to Stormrage, should be a joyous multihour queue if I don't get on early.

When Ulduar launched, I wanted them to do something with the insane dwarf digging site in Northrend. I found that area very eerie, and I wanted to see it used more than just in 3 throwaway quests. Though it did do a good job of setting up Yogg.

Blizz bring back Ulduar please, or make a raid as cool as it. Was just an awesome combination of scenary, bosses, mechanics, and especially lore.

StayDead

Blizz bring back Ulduar please, or make a raid as cool as it. Was just an awesome combination of scenary, bosses, mechanics, and especially lore.

I enjoyed Ulduar but I raided it for so long (as did everyone else) that by the time it finished I was ready to never see it again.

I would much rather have a new Black Temple. It had trash that actually meant something, the most interesting boss mechanics in the entire game, it wasn't overly huge like Ulduar was and it was just awesome all round.

Calcium

Banned
Huzzah for free game time. I managed to knock out the pre-WoD quest line for all of my 90s in a couple hours. Now I guess I can just do some farming here and there to ensure I'm well off for launch. Good times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I enjoyed Ulduar but I raided it for so long (as did everyone else) that by the time it finished I was ready to never see it again.

I would much rather have a new Black Temple. It had trash that actually meant something, the most interesting boss mechanics in the entire game, it wasn't overly huge like Ulduar was and it was just awesome all round.

BC. The most interesting boss mechanics in the entire game. What?

Fjordson

Ulduar was amazing. Maybe my favourite raid ever.

I think Blizz is still plenty strong with mechanics and boss encounter design, but something about Ulduar creatively was special to me. The look, the music, the lore. It all worked really well. Icecrown also wasn't too far behind in that regard. Great raids all around.

StayDead

BC. The most interesting boss mechanics in the entire game. What?

Black Temple will never be topped for me. I've played this game from a month after TBC was released and never has anything come close to topping how good that instance was for me. The large issue I had with Ulduar is unlike TBC raids the trash was entirely pointless as it was near impossible to fuck up. You didn't need any form of CC and all it did was just extend the time of the instance artificially. The fights were good and it's probably one of the best raids in the entire game, but after raiding it for so long it wasn't for me anymore.

I loved how every class in TBC had their own set defined role and it was Black Temple which made me switch from Mage to Resto Druid as I loved the way they worked in that expansion. Of course I've stuck with it since then as resto druid is my one true love, but each healing class and each tank having their own utility was what made me stick with the game.

The Black Temple has been the stage of the Orc Horde's blood curse, fortress for the then-mortal Ner'zhul, and a prime staging ground for the Burning Legion's campaign of destruction...

Does this mean it might be returning for WoD as a raid area?

Also in terms of fights I loved: These are them.

http://www.wowwiki.com/High_Warlord_Naj'entus - (loved that it required stamina gear and good healing)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Teron_Gorefiend_(tactics) - (loved the shadow of death mechanic)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Gurtogg_Bloodboil - (loved to heal this)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Mother_Shahraz - (loved the fact this required stacking of shadow res, my guild actually never finished BT in TBC because of this, we were collecting more shadow gear when WoTLK came out as we started late)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Illidari_Council
http://www.wowwiki.com/Illidan_Stormrage_(tactics)

Dresden

Black Temple had the greatest hype out of any raid. People cared about that shit back then; Illidan world first was actually a big deal. But hype doesn't make it interesting mechanically.

I've been back for about 3 weeks now. Resubbed for WoD, having not played since BC.

I'm up to about ilvl 512 now, did UBRS, did all of the LFR's except for the final 3 bosses of SoO.

I bought 3 months of time in advance, but I'm kind of thinking I might not renew again after that. This just isn't the same game I remember anymore. Granted, I haven't played since BC, but everything is just so... casual. I mean I totally get it, but part of me feels like they went too far.

Back in the day people were complaining that they couldn't see the content of Black Temple or Sunwell Plateau because they weren't hardcore enough players to get to that content. So now it's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Everyone can do anything. And it's so completely and utterly streamlined. Everything is on rails.

I remember when new raids came out, there would be weeks where the guilds were vying for world firsts. People were tight lipped on their strategies, because figuring out the strategies was 80% of the battle. You had to learn encounters. Now you just open fucking Shit+J and boom it tells you exactly what to do. Stand over here, don't get hit by this, taunt after 3 stacks. Where's the fun in that? I know that's what all fights ultimately boil down to, but it just feels really weird that there's an in-game guide to beating all the encounters. There's nothing to figure out.

And because it's so streamlined, nobody does anything except repeating this stuff over and over. Maybe I'm playing wrong, but when I log on, the first thing I do is queue up for something. When I finish the instance, the next thing I do is queue up for something else. The entire game just consists of queueing for stuff until I logout.

I'm not sure if WoD will change anything in this regard. So far I'm kind of mildly enjoying my time, but it just feels more empty than it did back during BC.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I still have that in the bank. I should probably wear it since almost no one has it anymore.

They cheapened the Argent Dawn tabard by bringing it back for pre-WOTLK

vocab

I can't for the life of me kill Yogg-Saron on 25HC, the rest of Ulduar was easy...

class?

Best tip I can give is to kill all the tentacles before entering the brain room. If you have them up during the final phase you'll get stunlocked like crazy and be overwhelmed so fast. My monk had a hard time until I realized that. I save all my cool downs for the final phase.

Ummmm. Ulduar was the shortest tier in Wrath. I don't know if you could really be burnt out on it after less than 4 full months. http://i.imgur.com/w0deu0t.jpg

Trial of the Crusader, which was a much shorter (and shittier) tier, lasted longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom