• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I was the person who said I just wanted to focus on one character. And now, before WoD is out I will end up having...

a 90 Pandaren Warrior
a 90 Pandaren Rogue
a 90 Troll Hunter
a 90 Dwarf Paladin
a 90 Orc Shaman
a 90 Blood Elf Warlock
a 90 Orc Warrior
a 90 Dwarf Death Knight

How did this happen

Big gaps of nothing between expansions!

8 more days left for Venomhide Ravasaur. Thankfully I'm just using an alt dedicated for it with a hearth in Un'Goro. Definitely one of those "never again" things. Thankfully the mount is account-wide.

Aylinato

Which green dragon do you mean?

As for rare mounts, I mean there are ones you almost never see these days because they aren't obtainable anymore like the Zulian Tiger or the Black Proto-Drake, but I guess those are obvious.

As far as mounts that are still obtainable off the top of my head um...I don't see a lot of the Armored Blue Dragonhawk (reward for 200 mounts). Time-Lost Proto-Drake of course, Plagued Proto-Drake. Don't see Mimiron's Head too often. That Experiment 12-B drake from Dragon Soul is pretty rare and...actually don't see a lot of the Zulian panther from the new ZG on my server.

There's also all the trading card game mounts that'll probably become fairly rare over time since the game has been discontinued.

the green dragon that came from a chest from a heroic WoTLK chest after the dungeon was completed.

I almost got that onyx dragon mount once too, lost by like 4 on a roll. =(

Red Protos by a mile on my server.

The raid achievement ones like the Ironbound proto, the Frostbrood vanquishers from Icecrown, etc. are more common because pugs happen quite bit for raids every week (at least on my server). But I never see groups for like old heroics and stuff, so as a result I almost never see red protos.

The red protons probably my favorite mount. So awesome.

I didn't really do any Cata heroics so I'm hoping one day to get into a group that wants to do the red stone drake.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
the green dragon that came from a chest from a heroic WoTLK chest after the dungeon was completed.

I almost got that onyx dragon mount once too, lost by like 4 on a roll. =(

There was no green dragon at the end of any heroic WOTLK. You're either talking about the bronze dragon from beating the timer of heroic old Stratholme or the blue drake from the last boss of heroic Oculus, which im not sure still exist since it can be dropped from Malygos nowadays.

Aylinato

There was no green dragon at the end of any heroic WOTLK. You're either talking about the bronze dragon from beating the timer of heroic old Stratholme or the blue drake from the last boss of heroic Oculus, which im not sure still exist since it can be dropped from Malygos nowadays.

i guess i thought of blue. I think i still need that one

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wonder where people get the 'lore' that Hunters are like friends of nature. I see it all the time, and I don't really get it. Like that pets are their buddies and not their meatbag slaves. I mean, Glaive Toss is t he fantasy equivalent of throwing a shredder to down a whole jungle for a rare animal.

I guess it makes some sense with Night Elf hunters but not with any others.

Ultratech

Wonder where people get the 'lore' that Hunters are like friends of nature. I see it all the time, and I don't really get it. Like that pets are their buddies and not their meatbag slaves. I mean, Glaive Toss is the fantasy equivalent of throwing a shredder to down a whole jungle for a rare animal.

I guess it makes some sense with Night Elf hunters but not with any others.

Probably from Blizz themselves?

From an early age the call of the wild draws some adventurers from the comfort of their homes into the unforgiving primal world outside. Those who endure become hunters. Masters of their environment, they are able to slip like ghosts through the trees and lay traps in the paths of their enemies.

These expert marksmen drop foes dead in their tracks with flawless shots from a bow or rifle. Thanks to their pinpoint timing, hunters are able to fire their ranged weapons quickly – even at enemies who close to melee range with them. The art of survival is central to the isolated life of a hunter. Hunters track beasts with ease and enhance their own abilities by attuning themselves to the feral aspects of various creatures. Hunters are known for the lifelong bonds they form with animals of the wild, training great hawks, cats, bears, and many other beasts to fight alongside them.

Apart from Night Elves, it makes perfect sense for Trolls and Tauren.
(Can't really comment on other races regarding that.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess, but even none of that really indicates a bond with nature. A poacher is great at doing all those things as well, but you wouldn't consider them a nature person.

Ultratech

I guess, but even none of that really indicates a bond with nature. A poacher is great at doing all those things as well, but you wouldn't consider them a nature person.

They're more in tune with Nature, not one with it. I mean, they're not Druids.

Kinda ties into their whole Survivalist aspect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's a 'squish' idea. Less crap in my bags. I don't even do a major profession, and I'm filled with stuff that I don't know where it belongs. Even with ArkInventory sorting it, I've still got a lot of crap that I don't know which goes where and why this is here and what I should sell and what's a quest item.

And don't even get me started on all the foods/cooking ingredients.

Hey guys, first off wanna apologize for asking stuff that probably gets asked constantly, but I'm new to WoW.

I just hit 90 on my Balance Druid and I'm not sure what to do about PVP and gear. Do I just farm honor and get the base set? Or do I find people to farm conquest with? Or is PVE gear better?

I'm not new to the genre, and get how most gear systems work, but there's a gazillion different gear sets and so many suggestions searching through google that I don't know what would be the best way to start getting active in end game PVP.

PVP seems really unforgiving to a new player... BoA stacked players cream you in lowbies, then you hit 90 and it feels the same way, lol. The only tier I liked playing was 80-89.

Anyway, appreciate any help. Feel free to just link me to a guide or FAQ if I'm being annoying. :(

Hey guys, first off wanna apologize for asking stuff that probably gets asked constantly, but I'm new to WoW.

I just hit 90 on my Balance Druid and I'm not sure what to do about PVP and gear. Do I just farm honor and get the base set? Or do I find people to farm conquest with? Or is PVE gear better?

I'm not new to the genre, and get how most gear systems work, but there's a gazillion different gear sets and so many suggestions searching through google that I don't know what would be the best way to start getting active in end game PVP.

PVP seems really unforgiving to a new player... BoA stacked players cream you in lowbies, then you hit 90 and it feels the same way, lol. The only tier I liked playing was 80-89.

Anyway, appreciate any help. Feel free to just link me to a guide or FAQ if I'm being annoying. :(

What you probably want to do is Random and/or Holiday BGs for Honor/Conquest. If you have no decent gear at all, you might want to invest in the crafted blue PvP set as a base. You can then use the honor (and slowly the conquest you accrue) to buy relevant gear. Once you're in all honor gear (or at least most of the way there) you can do Arena - probably 2s, for faster conquest that it would take doing BGs.

I'm not sure if Balance has ever been very good at PvP though FYI. Usually you see more Resto and Ferals.

I don't have any actual PvP gear on me now, but if you're Horde US I wouldn't mind getting back into it a little and doing some 2s.

Robin64

Here's a 'squish' idea. Less crap in my bags. I don't even do a major profession, and I'm filled with stuff that I don't know where it belongs. Even with ArkInventory sorting it, I've still got a lot of crap that I don't know which goes where and why this is here and what I should sell and what's a quest item.

And don't even get me started on all the foods/cooking ingredients.

Good news! In WoD, several of those things will be addressed.

Quest items will no longer take up bag space.
Toys and gadgets get their own interface, the Toy Box.
And ingredients and materials for crafting can be stored in the bank and still used for recipes.

Aylinato

And ingredients and materials for crafting can be stored in the bank and still used for recipes.

thats cool.

Very cool, especially with blacksmithing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The more I hear about WoD, the more I think it'll be the greatest expansion ever.

I want my heirloom tab, my new models, my profession leveling garrison, and my bag space.

Khezu

Yes, WoD can't come sooner.

Removing reforging, and toning down enchanting and gems is also a huge plus.
Oh and axing hit and exp.

Robin64

Yes, WoD can't come sooner.

Removing reforging, and toning down enchanting and gems is also a huge plus.
Oh and axing hit and exp.

It's amazing how many people whine about this on the official forums because it "takes away choice" when we know that really they just get MrRobot to do it for them every time they get new gear.

Ultratech

The more I hear about WoD, the more I think it'll be the greatest expansion ever.

I want my heirloom tab, my new models, my profession leveling garrison, and my bag space.

Man, I can't wait for more Bag space...seems like everytime I get my Bags remotely organized, I go out and they get filled up again.

Not to mention I have a ton of toys and gadgets just sitting in my Bank.

You know what I just realized? They didn't add any new 5-mans outside the launch ones with MoP. Sure, fuck-loads of scenarios, but with the heroic ones being group queue only, that kind of defeats the point. And yes, I'll admit I've been spoiled by the dungeon finder, but it's not like heroic scenarios are actually challenging at all.

Which green dragon do you mean?

As for rare mounts, I mean there are ones you almost never see these days because they aren't obtainable anymore like the Zulian Tiger or the Black Proto-Drake, but I guess those are obvious.

As far as mounts that are still obtainable off the top of my head um...I don't see a lot of the Armored Blue Dragonhawk (reward for 200 mounts). Time-Lost Proto-Drake of course, Plagued Proto-Drake. Don't see Mimiron's Head too often. That Experiment 12-B drake from Dragon Soul is pretty rare and...actually don't see a lot of the Zulian panther from the new ZG on my server.

There's also all the trading card game mounts that'll probably become fairly rare over time since the game has been discontinued.

Plagued Proto-Drake isn't obtainable unless you're counting the BMAH but I believe the Black is available through that and you seemingly ruled it out so I'm assuming not. I believe Black and Plagued were the two Naxx mounts that were removed.

When I got my Armored Blue Dragonhawk it was only the second one I ever saw on my server. Using guildox.com I know I wasn't only the second to get it on my server (going off their list I was around 10th? Don't recall) but it rarely gets used.

Probably never see the Zulian Panther because it's so boring. The old tiger at least is unique and bright whereas the panther just looks like all the other cats. I wish it had a much more interesting texture for the effort it takes in getting it.

Mimiron's Head definitely seems like one of the most rare as I practically never see it. Don't even recall if I've seen someone using it on my server.

I know checking online resources for mount rarities my most rare for awhile was the Bone White Raptor. Not sure if that still holds up or if more people are grinding for it now.

Salamando

You know what I just realized? They didn't add any new 5-mans outside the launch ones with MoP. Sure, fuck-loads of scenarios, but with the heroic ones being group queue only, that kind of defeats the point. And yes, I'll admit I've been spoiled by the dungeon finder, but it's not like heroic scenarios are actually challenging at all.

No, but they did add a lot more Zones for questing and whatnot. Instead of new five-mans, we got the Isle of Thunder, Horde vs Alliance in Krasarang, Battlefield Barrens, and the Timeless Isle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
wodModelsInc.png

Fjordson

Plagued Proto-Drake isn't obtainable unless you're counting the BMAH but I believe the Black is available through that and you seemingly ruled it out so I'm assuming not. I believe Black and Plagued were the two Naxx mounts that were removed.
Ah, I didn't know the Black Proto was on the BMAH as well. Thought it was only Plagued for some reason, so I guess those both count then. And you're right, they were the 10 and 25 man meta-achievement rewards from Naxx. I remember my guild 10 man group getting fairly close to the Plagued Proto, but I stopped raiding before we got all the achievements =[

And yeah you're probably right about the panther since it's super easy to solo farm these days. Though I have to say I kinda like it. It is plain, but it actually sort of stands out because of that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hard mode options in Ulduar just give you more loot, not different loot right?

Trying to get the Warlock tier for 10 man is a pain due to bosses only dropping 2 items

motes and spirits of harmony should be boa. Fucking ridiculous.

I''m surprised they aren't already, unlike Chaos Orbs and the like which were BoP then changed.

Speaking of - they made crafting boring. I forget if they said what they were doing, but I want the full elemental spectrum back form WoD.

Ah, I didn't know the Black Proto was on the BMAH as well. Thought it was only Plagued for some reason, so I guess those both count then. And you're right, they were the 10 and 25 man meta-achievement rewards from Naxx. I remember my guild 10 man group getting fairly close to the Plagued Proto, but I stopped raiding before we got all the achievements =[

And yeah you're probably right about the panther since it's super easy to solo farm these days. Though I have to say I kinda like it. It is plain, but it actually sort of stands out because of that.

Well, there's a chance I'm wrong about both Black and Plagued being on the BMAH. That's pretty much the one thing I've completely ignored in terms of keeping up with mount stuff. But it seems likely that if one of those is available there then they'd have the other. And I know at least one of them has been found to show up on occasion.

I just really wish they could have used a cat pattern with stripes, spots, or pretty much anything to make the zulian tiger replacement look interesting in some way. I hadn't looked it up while farming and it was one of the last farmable rares I got and I was so underwhelmed upon getting it. The raptor is so much better!

Edit:
Oh shit, really? With the original races for WoD or further down the line?

This is from the FAQ they put out the day the expansion was officially announced:

"We’re still in the process of determining which races will be available upon the expansion’s release, but our goal is to update all eight of the original World of Warcraft playable races, along with the Draenei and Blood Elves, over the course of the expansion launch and subsequent content updates."

I'd almost expect Draenei getting the boost when the expansion hits because of them coming back into the story more but perhaps they'll delay both them and the blood elves for a bit later.

Fjordson

Interesting, I didn't even know they had mentioned Blood Elves and Draenei. Now I'm even more glad I decided to make my shammy a space goat.

Ultratech

Funny enough, the only thing they changed on the dungeons was making one or two of the previously Heroic-only dungeons have Normal modes, so you'd have more than 4 dungeons available when leveling.

I wish they'd upgrade the model of the Swift Zulian Tiger and some other old mounts.

Nothing drastic, just a higher polycount. The tail is literally 8 polygons - I can easily count them.

Daante

Haven`t played the game in 3 years now..

Recently i watched the Blizzcon panel with the lore about Warlords of Draneor, after that i installed Warcraft 3: TFT and have been playing trough the single player campaign (again) the last days (not finished it yet).

I noticed that my mind have come up with all sorts of positive aspects why i should return to Wow and the upcoming expansion. One BIG factor is the Mythic raid difficulty, another is that i will visit some of the zones i loved the most previously in TBC, and another is that it seems the lore is more badass and interesting compared to "hey look here its a panda!".

Ideally IF i return i look for a mature raiding guild that will focus on the 20 man Mythic environment, with 3 days raiding a week, not more, timex around 20.00-23.00 EU server time. Might have skilled irl friend that returns aswell.

Robin64

One BIG factor is the Mythic raid difficulty, another is that i will visit some of the zones i loved the most previously in TBC, and another is that it seems the lore is more badass and interesting compared to "hey look here its a panda!".

One of the most common and annoying misconceptions about Mists of Pandaria is that the lore focus was "Hey look, a panda!". There was far more focus on the Horde vs Alliance war, the threat from the Mogu, Garrosh's desires to control an Old God... The characters in game, and indeed those of us that played, quickly accepted the Pandaren and moved on.

Also, Mythic is currently in MoP, it's just called Heroic here. It is the hardest content in the game and very few people get through it.

Whooter

I love the quest chain in Hillsbrad where the questgiver consistently refers to the male Blood Elf NPC as "her" and "she"...

Well I knocked out Flex 1 and 2 this week. Prospects for 3 and 4 don't look good this late. Only upgrade I can use was the Flex version of the Fusion-Fire Core which is okay I guess (cleave kinda meh for many fights). Really need another trinket though since my other one is just a 502 from ToT LFR. Otherwise I have two shoulders and a helm I can't use since they're non-set, and would break my 4-piece. Need the gloves to be able to do so. And honestly I'll take any gloves at this point since mine are still Timeless non-upgraded 496.

Thok probably has the biggest bounty on his head for me since I can use anything he drops (Flex at least). Though I'd rather stay dual-wielding if I can so I don't have change all my gems and reforge.

Tendo

Oh gosh, what have I done. I'm back.

I haven't played in 3 years and just got scrolled on my warrior and he is now 80 and I have no idea how to tank anymore. Any decent guides/rotations/tutorials you recommend so I can relearn the class?

Tamanon

Banned
Oh gosh, what have I done. I'm back.

I haven't played in 3 years and just got scrolled on my warrior and he is now 80 and I have no idea how to tank anymore. Any decent guides/rotations/tutorials you recommend so I can relearn the class?

Icy Veins and the official forum has some decent ones.

But it's really Shield Bash/Revenge on CD, Thunder Clap if AoE, Devastate if you need to fill a space, and then use your Shield Block if fighting physical damage and Shield Barrier if it's Magic damage(or just one mob too). It's honestly a ton easier than it used to be.

Ultratech

Well I knocked out Flex 1 and 2 this week. Prospects for 3 and 4 don't look good this late. Only upgrade I can use was the Flex version of the Fusion-Fire Core which is okay I guess (cleave kinda meh for many fights). Really need another trinket though since my other one is just a 502 from ToT LFR. Otherwise I have two shoulders and a helm I can't use since they're non-set, and would break my 4-piece. Need the gloves to be able to do so. And honestly I'll take any gloves at this point since mine are still Timeless non-upgraded 496.

Thok probably has the biggest bounty on his head for me since I can use anything he drops (Flex at least). Though I'd rather stay dual-wielding if I can so I don't have change all my gems and reforge.

I've been having hell trying to get good trinkets on my DK.

Got the Fusion-Fire Core which is nifty when it actually goes off (cleaving Obliterates are sexy), and Skeer's which may as well be crap because of the existence of the two trinkets I don't have.

Namely the trinkets off Galakras (cooldown reduction trinket) and Thok (the one that jacks up stats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom