• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always the same. you have to use a flawless stone to upgrade it.

All pets from items have a set quality. My engineer can make Pierre who's blue and a Pet Bombling who's green. A rare Mr. Chilly is just an uncommon one upgraded with a Pet Stone.

Thanks. So it says that using a stone causes the pet to lose 2 levels. Is that permanent or does it just mean you have to level them up those 2 levels again?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I played this until BC came out and have a 70 hunter, and was looking to start playing again. Any tips on where I should start from 70 and go to?

OH FUCK ME SIDEWAYS

DbptMx8.jpg

What kind of fucking RNG is this?

Shit. I need to find a flex group and try to get this shit.

Jag

I played this until BC came out and have a 70 hunter, and was looking to start playing again. Any tips on where I should start from 70 and go to?

Go to your home city (or any main faction city). Near the Auction House and Bank will be a Hero Board with a quest !. It will send you to the quest that will start the Lich King expansion in Northrend. Don't forget to queue for some 5mans too. You'll get some good xp and equipment. At 80 you can start Cataclysm. At 85 you can start MOP.

Um, A LOT has changed since then. Hunters in particular since they no longer use mana and don't have any of the goofy melee abilities anymore. Not to mention that ammo is gone, as well as the pet happiness system, among other changes (mostly improvements.)

Honestly my advice would just be to reroll and learn things fresh by playing, especially if your old server is dead. 1-70 hardly takes any time nowadays, even without XP bonuses it would be pretty fast. Make a new hunter if that's what you think you still want to play and level it to at least 20 or so before even touching your old character. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a completely new class. If you decide to stick with your hunter after getting a feel for things (or getting a new character to 68), you'll want to go to either Orgrimmar/Undercity or Stormwind/Darnassus(I think) and take a zeppelin or boat respectively to either Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord in Northrend to continue leveling there. Personally I enjoy Howling Fjord more, so that would be Undercity (zeppelin tower s at Brill) or Stormwind (the harbor.) Ask the NPCs to find out which boat/zeppelin is the right one to take if you're not sure.

Talents and specializations have been completely revamped, spells have changed, with more new abilities of course, among various other changes to stats and other things, like spell resistances being removed.

This Page provides a short overview of some things, but is hardly comprehensive. If you want more gritty detail, I would read the patch notes for Cataclysm launch, and all the Mists of Pandaria patch notes.

Red_Man

Go to your home city (or any main faction city). Near the Auction House and Bank will be a Hero Board with a quest !. It will send you to the quest that will start the Lich King expansion in Northrend. Don't forget to queue for some 5mans too. You'll get some good xp and equipment. At 80 you can start Cataclysm. At 85 you can start MOP.
Thanks, will do.

Um, A LOT has changed since then. Hunters in particular since they no longer use mana and don't have any of the goofy melee abilities anymore. Not to mention that ammo is gone, as well as the pet happiness system, among other changes (mostly improvements.)

Honestly my advice would just be to reroll and learn things fresh by playing, especially if your old server is dead. 1-70 hardly takes any time nowadays, even without XP bonuses it would be pretty fast. Make a new hunter if that's what you think you still want to play and level it to at least 20 or so before even touching your old character. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a completely new class. If you decide to stick with your hunter after getting a feel for things (or getting a new character to 68), you'll want to go to either Orgrimmar/Undercity or Stormwind/Darnassus(I think) and take a zeppelin or boat respectively to either Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord in Northrend to continue leveling there. Personally I enjoy Howling Fjord more, so that would be Undercity (zeppelin tower s at Brill) or Stormwind (the harbor.) Ask the NPCs to find out which boat/zeppelin is the right one to take if you're not sure.

Talents and specializations have been completely revamped, spells have changed, with more new abilities of course, among various other changes to stats and other things, like spell resistances being removed.

This Page provides a short overview of some things, but is hardly comprehensive. If you want more gritty detail, I would read the patch notes for Cataclysm launch, and all the Mists of Pandaria patch notes.
Holy shit, that's a lot of big changes. I haven't played in 4-5 years, feels weird walking around and seeing all the ridiculous mounts now. Thanks for the link, going to spend the weekend trying to catch up.

Salamando

Any recommendations for talents as ret paladin?

For the most part, there aren't any terribly bad choices...

Tier 1: I like Speed of Light or Long Arm...Long Arm grants a near-constant in-combat speed boost, while Speed of Light is handier for immediate speed requirements.

Tier 2: Fist of Justice has more in-combat uses, and Repenentence is nice when you need CC (which rarely happens).

Tier 3: Not Eternal Flame. Requires Holy Power to use, which we need for DPS. The others don't.

Tier 4: Clemency is useful on some fights...you can remove Garrotes during Protectors and can Shield the Crawler mine target on Juggernaut...Unbreakable Spirit is better for self-preservation.

Tier 5: I think sanctified wrath is performing best now.

Tier 6: Execution Sentence for single-target, Light's Hammer for AOE.

Aylinato

For the most part, there aren't any terribly bad choices...

Tier 1: I like Speed of Light or Long Arm...Long Arm grants a near-constant in-combat speed boost, while Speed of Light is handier for immediate speed requirements.

Tier 2: Fist of Justice has more in-combat uses, and Repenentence is nice when you need CC (which rarely happens).

Tier 3: Not Eternal Flame. Requires Holy Power to use, which we need for DPS. The others don't.

Tier 4: Clemency is useful on some fights...you can remove Garrotes during Protectors and can Shield the Crawler mine target on Juggernaut...Unbreakable Spirit is better for self-preservation.

Tier 5: I think sanctified wrath is performing best now.

Tier 6: Execution Sentence for single-target, Light's Hammer for AOE.

tier one. I think I agree with how you have said everything. I believe I am going to go with the long arm because I chose the one with the speed-while judging and its just slow whenever I want to actually go fast.

tier two. I think I'll stay with fist of justice I've used it a lot on mobs, and repentance is not as good a choice now that it isn't just a free one talent skill, imo.

tier three. idk what the other two are so ill look at them, i know i dont have eternal flame.

tier four. Ill have to look into this tier as well.

tier five. I love sanctified wrath, and agree that it's doing pretty good.

tier six. I really enjoy execution sentence because of the no-mana use, it has come in use a lot and made its way to my 1-0 hotkey group(which is hard because i love using so any skills just because I can.)

that AoE attack that shares a cool-down with crusaders strike, does it ever become...useful? I find that it just does not do enough damage unless there would be like 10 or more mobs.

Red_Man

Damn boy, it must feel like a new game.
Definitely feels weird walking around, I don't recognize any of the cities or anything like that. Just happy I still have my pets after all these years, spent so much time trying to find them years back.

Salamando

that AoE attack that shares a cool-down with crusaders strike, does it ever become...useful? I find that it just does not do enough damage unless there would be like 10 or more mobs.

Hammer of the Righteous? Yeah, it's good with 3 mobs, at least at 90. The initial hit ain't much, but the AOE part hits for 35% weapon damage.

Aylinato

Hammer of the Righteous? Yeah, it's good with 3 mobs, at least at 90. The initial hit ain't much, but the AOE part hits for 35% weapon damage.

idk, it just feels weak to me. maybe its cause i like burning down one target while using the twirly hammer.

I kinda miss my consecration

i also miss my seal of command.

I hate that seal that puts a DoT on the enemy. I never wanted it in WoTLK either. Of course I had SoC to use instead back then.

Rokam

Any recommendations for talents as ret paladin?

PvE
Tier 1: Pursuit of Justice; static 15% run speed trumps all other talents.
Tier 2: Fist of Justice; you'll rarely need to CC anything.
Tier 3: Selfless Healer; incredibly good for soloing, topping yourself off, or hitting someone else who is low.
Tier 4: Clemency, 2 is better than 1.
Tier 5: Sanctified Wrath if you don't have 4 piece T16, Divine Purpose if you do.
Tier 6: Execution Sentence, hands down the biggest dps increase.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's your ilvl like? People were doing it with sub 500 so you should be able to almost faceroll it with SoO LFR stuff.

507, but the difference is that in sub 500, people had the pit lord tanking the majority of him. He was actually 'buffed' to the point that he will NOT stop attacking you for any reason. Even with Soulshatter. So a majority of the fight is facerolling. Honestly, I'd like to try the fight pre-SoO because I have a feeling it would be easier.

Aylinato

Icy-Veins is a good resource too.

Yeah I checked them out.
I enjoyed neogafs opinion, can give a better feel of what benefits me better my play style

PvE
Tier 1: Pursuit of Justice; static 15% run speed trumps all other talents.
Tier 2: Fist of Justice; you'll rarely need to CC anything.
Tier 3: Selfless Healer; incredibly good for soloing, topping yourself off, or hitting someone else who is low.
Tier 4: Clemency, 2 is better than 1.
Tier 5: Sanctified Wrath if you don't have 4 piece T16, Divine Purpose if you do.
Tier 6: Execution Sentence, hands down the biggest dps increase.

Will check it out tonight and will respec as I love the pursuit, idk I tried out the judgement cause I thought I'd use that more, lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought a skyreaver. Fuck it, my orc needs an orc flying mount for pre-WoD.

Only time I've ever bought anything from the shop

edit: skyreaver confirmed to do barrel rolls

6 more runestones to go, hope I can get 3 per week for the next 2 weeks. After that my only goal is to get heirloom weapon and some normal mode warforged weapons.

I like the legendary quest, hope blizzard can make faction specific ones for WoD. Blizzard should introduce some new characters, new draenei for the expansion.

RkOwnage

What's the consensus for catching up in this game here on GAF? I have 3 toons in the 480 ilvls, do I need to run ToT Raid Finder and then SoO raid finder? Will I have any shot of getting into FLEX raids with just LFR gear? Trying to decide if it's worth the big time investment. I am probably gonna play my Ele Shaman for raiding...

What's the consensus for catching up in this game here on GAF? I have 3 toons in the 480 ilvls, do I need to run ToT Raid Finder and then SoO raid finder? Will I have any shot of getting into FLEX raids with just LFR gear? Trying to decide if it's worth the big time investment. I am probably gonna play my Ele Shaman for raiding...

Do Timeless Isle and ToT LFR until you can do SoO LFR. After a couple weeks of SoO LFR you should be geared enough to start getting into Flex raids. OpenRaid groups will be more likely to take lesser-geared people than you'll find in trade chat or oQueue if you find the right group.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Killed Dark Shaman with one tank dead.
Wanting to buy SoO 'nerf' that lets me buy tokens for timeless coins. Isn't Ahead of the Curve done already?

And Immolate should work with Kil'jaeden's Cunning

HItting 520 isn't a super drawn out experience. There's crafted 522 gear and all the 522 valor stuff(something for every slot) is half its usual price. Plus you've got 496 flying out of logs rocks and tiger butts on the timeless isle. There are also 553(?i might be wrong on the number) crafted pants and belts which are down in price on my server(6k for plate, anyway.) So... 2 weeks? Don't forget world bosses, having a legendary cloak helps out a lot since you'll have access to the fire yak, who drops warforged SoO normal loot. Got my lock to SoO LFR(Sorry! Originally typed flex) level in a couple of days from just hitting 90. ToT rains loot, especially if you have timeless coins for bonus roll tokens(sold on timelss isle.) Sorry for all the parentheses!

Fjordson

553 is correct for all the current crafted gear. And yeah, the prices have dropped a lot on my server as well. 12k or so for the legs, 8k and sometimes less for the belts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm soo tempted. It looks awesome.

Kind of thought it would be a WoD Iron Horde 'rep' type mount. There's not really a ton of flying mounts that 'fit' Orc Warlocks, so I had to jump on it. Plus, I love King Ghidorah, and it makes me think of that. Now I just need to be able to play a 2 headed Orc Warlock, and we can have 4 heads at once

Certainly cooler looking than stinkin' Galakras.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haven't been paying attention. Someone in my guild said if you pre-order WoD you immediately get your boosted character?

Salamando

Haven't been paying attention. Someone in my guild said if you pre-order WoD you immediately get your boosted character?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426481

In addition, when you pre-purchase either digital version, we’re going to grant you your level-90 boost at the time of pre-purchase.

Yep. Free 90 if you pre-order the digital versions. I'm 5/5 on the physical CE's and don't plan on breaking the streak, so looks like I get to wait.

Had a nice bout of luck today. Got the last two pets I needed for Raiding with Leashes II and got the Bulwark of Azzinoth...though I personally prefer the Corrupted Carapace.

RkOwnage

Thanks for all the feedback, I got pretty burnt out on the Timeless Isles, I pretty much found the treasure chests and then ran out of stuff today. I tried rare spawn farming but they all died before I could ever get to them. Is there some secret to the Timeless Isles? Everything there just about requires a group to kill. What are some suggestions to taking advantage of the Timeless Isles?

Sorry to sound so noobish, but I've pretty much transmog farmed and pet battled since I re-upped.

Shahadan

It's funny I tried so many times over the years to roll a rogue and never liked it, and yesterday it just clicked. Same for warlock last year.

Also the starting area and story for pandarens are amazing. Panda Rogue looks ridiculous though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's funny I tried so many times over the years to roll a rogue and never liked it, and yesterday it just clicked. Same for warlock last year.

Also the starting area and story for pandarens are amazing. Panda Rogue looks ridiculous though.

Male or female? I'd argue female pandaren are the best looking rogues in the game.

Huh. Well I don't need a boosted character anytime soon, even though I did buy Mists digitally. Would like to see what the bonuses for the CE are first anyway. Especially since I'd probably be using it on an Alliance alt rather than a Horde character to go with all my others. Maybe use it on a Horde Monk instead, I'm not sure yet.

Salamando

Most likely boosting a mage or warlock, since I have every other class over 80. Waiting might be beneficial, since each class and race could get shaken up in beta.

I need this beta info soon, I haven't played consistently for almost 2 months now. I only pop in for the weekly Raid mount chances or the Holiday stuff.

Although I have been starting to get the itch to level more pets

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I certainly hope the new WoD mounts ALL have the level of animation that the Sky Golem and the Reaver have. I can't even go back after riding one of those.

Red_Man

Can anyone tell me why a lot of players look different from when you inspect them? Just started playing again after a few years, and a lot of players I see look different then the armor sets they're wearing.

Fjordson

Can anyone tell me why a lot of players look different from when you inspect them? Just started playing again after a few years, and a lot of players I see look different then the armor sets they're wearing.
Transmogrification. Basically, you can now make a piece of armor or weapon look like some other piece of armor or weapon (so long as you have it in your bags or bank). And they have to be the same type. Melee weapon to melee weapon, mail piece of armor to mail piece of armor, cloth to cloth, etc.

Gives older loot more of a purpose and gives you a chance to make your character more unique.

Welp, guess I'll be coming back to WoW sooner then expected to play around with a new lvl 90 character:

In addition, when you pre-purchase either digital version, we’re going to grant you your level-90 boost at the time of pre-purchase. That’s a little different from the plan we laid out at BlizzCon, but based on the feedback, it’s obvious that many of you would like the chance to get acquainted with a new class before heading into the expansion. This will also give more players the opportunity to experience the current end-game content and the events leading up to Garrosh’s exodus to Draenor. Maybe you’ll get your Legendary cloak from Wrathion and level 90–100 Heirloom weapon in the process.

Hmm, a Druid or a Warlock....

JMizzlin

So I'm downloading WoW now to play for the first time ever. I'm going to pick up the physical pack that includes BC, WotLK and Cata soon. Anything else I need to grab to start? Is there anything cheap through the store I should buy for a fun way to jump in?

Red_Man

I'm enjoying the DK, and the amour set you get for it early on is already so badass. I hope it keeps up. The game has been really casualized over the last 5 years though, the dungeon helper is so much nicer then having to search in chat and get your ass all the way there.

Transmogrification. Basically, you can now make a piece of armor or weapon look like some other piece of armor or weapon (so long as you have it in your bags or bank). And they have to be the same type. Melee weapon to melee weapon, mail piece of armor to mail piece of armor, cloth to cloth, etc.

Gives older loot more of a purpose and gives you a chance to make your character more unique.
Gotchya, seems like everyone uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom