• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The names you're thinking of are probably for Stalvan Mistmantle, which was one of the more interesting Vanilla chains with quite an unpleasant backstory. I know they've changed it to be more Worgeny, dunno how effective it is now.

There's a lot less running back and forth now, so the player has less time to understand the lore of the quest which is a damn shame.

Also Howling Fjord is one of the prettiest 'starter' expansion zones Blizzard's ever made. The only sucky parts are the walrus village and getting a group for the last stretch of quests by the pirate cove.

Dawg

How can you put Terokkar below Blade Edge??? Blade Edge was a questing nightmare, while Terokkar had tons of quests all put together so you could do like 10 of them at once.

I just really really really hated Terokkar Forest.

And yeah, Blade's Edge at least had some cool music!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
twitchwow8ydz4.png

Source: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/11...Warcraft_Special_Show_This_Weekend-22_11_2013

I wonder if they'll announce the beta in this.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just really really really hated Terokkar Forest.

And yeah, Blade's Edge at least had some cool music!

I quested there yesterday on my hunter, it's really not that bad. But... i guess being an overpowered hunter full of BOAs makes everything looks not as bad as they once were. But I still won't quest in Blade Edge, even with him. I typically do 59-60 in Hellfire, 61-62 in Zangarmarsh, 63-64 in Terokkar and 65-67 in Nagrand and im out of that outdated continent once I hit 68.

Dawg

I quested there yesterday on my hunter, it's really not that bad. But... i guess being an overpowered hunter full of BOAs makes everything looks not as bad as they once were. But I still won't quest in Blade Edge, even with him. I typically do 59-60 in Hellfire, 61-62 in Zangarmarsh, 63-64 in Terokkar and 65-67 in Nagrand and im out of that outdated continent once I hit 68.

Well, it's pretty personal anyway.

Except for Nagrand. Impossible to dislike that zone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

You don't even have to be full of BOAs. My non-special item having Marksman Hunter literally oneshots everything in Outlands with Aimed Shot.

Bisnic

I'm not going to do tiers, but I must confess that Vash'jir may be my favorite(non starting) zone ever.

I'll admit that Vashjir is an amazing looking zone and the music is perfect for it.

Too bad questing and swimming together sucks, even with increased swimming speed and underwater breath.

Fjordson

I have a strong feeling that everyone who hated vashjir played melee, because I hated it on my rogue and pally but loved it on my mage.
Haha, now that you mention it, I've only gone through Vashj'ir on my hunter thus far and really enjoyed it.

edit: wow, I'm already seeing a ton of people with the new Blizz store mount (enchanted frey dragon I think it's called).

McNei1y

I didn't hate Vash'j... I tried it on my Paladin and Warlock. Creatures were definitely a pain in the ass to fight but what do you expect underwater. It was an awesome idea and it was executed pretty well, at least visually.

Jag

I have a strong feeling that everyone who hated vashjir played melee, because I hated it on my rogue and pally but loved it on my mage.

I pretty much hate any questing as melee. I've played every class in the game, a good chunk to 90, but ranged > melee for questing at least.

I also say this as I'm finishing leveling my Rogue in Panda right now.

Thats why I keep leveling in dungeons, I avoid questing in Outlands and Borean tundra cuz I quested the hell of them on other server and go zulfarrak to see more of the troll's lore

Between Vashir and the Forest starting quest on Cata I prefer vashir maybe because I am a caster but the underwater feels looks very cool instead of the burned wasteland forest zone in giant Tree.

Everyone hates on Cataclysm zones, and I tend to agree because I think Vashjir is dogshit to quest in, and I don't think Deepholm's that great, but I love Uldum.

I'm a sucker for Egyptian themed zones ever since Everquest 1.

You know, I never quested in Uldum, I only know the people on tanaris trying to not obey someone and got destroyed or something.

vocab

the worst zone was vanilla Arathi Highlands.

I havent had the pleasure of doing vash. Probably never will.

I like dragonblight. Cool zone. Has many levels of lore. Quests arent insulting, and the random snowfall is cool.

Bisnic

I like dragonblight. Cool zone. Has many levels of lore. Quests arent insulting, and the random snowfall is cool.
Nah Silithus is the worst. It's so bad Blizzard didn't bother updating it in Cataclysm.

Tacitus_

Arathi Highlands was awesome for Horde! Tons of quests neatly packed together. It was almost like a proto TBC zone.

Was ass as both ranged and melee because mobs below you were hard to get 'in front of' as they swam at you. Same problem as targetting flying mobs that zoom at you, sometimes they never stop moving and you constantly get 'target must be in front of you' errors while casting.

Vashjir zones were only fun on druid, because of the hilarious swim speed you got in seal form.

iirate

I've leveled there as elemental and discipline, so you may have a point.

Cataclysm zone confession #2, I don't know what people see in Uldum. I ran it once and vowed to never do so again.

At least we can all agree that Deepholm and Twilight Highlands are completely forgettable.

Khezu

Uldum looks cool, and a nice zone to hang out in, but it's super gimmicky and really only fun to do once.
Same for Vashjr.

I don't really like any of the Cata zones.

Had trouble with Thorim tonight, never had problems. So many various bugs when trying to do it solo. Finally kill him head to Vezax... no trash spawn and no Vezax spawn. God damn bugs this is 2 weeks in a row that has happened to me.

I'll duo it with you next week if you can show me the ropes. Zenax took me before but I can't remember shit. It was months ago. lol I'm a blood DK.

You know, that's probably true. I'm trying to level my lock, and I took him to Hyjal, but maybe I'll take him to Vash. It was such a fucking pain to do on my warrior, and DK, that I never finished the zones.

McNei1y

Arathi Highlands was awesome for Horde! Tons of quests neatly packed together. It was almost like a proto TBC zone.

Yes. Yes it was. I had no idea what to do at 33. I went there and left the zone at level 39. It was great.

The worst of vanilla in catagories:

Leveling Zone - Silithus
Most Unused - Burning Steppes
That's a zone? - Alterac Mountains

Burning Steppes seemed to have depth behind it but I rarely used it. Alterac Mountains was a whole different story. I thought it was a waste. I loved the lore behind it and all of that but it barely had anything to it. The quest givers were on the road and there was only one zone that was really anything which was the castle that the ogres took over.

I really wish the battleground layouts were actually part of the world. I think it would've been cool to quest in a non instanced AV.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Expansion zone tiers

Comfy as fuck

Nagrand
Scholazar basin
Grizzly Hills
Uldum

Awesome

Icecrown
Storm Peaks
Shadowmoon valley
Hyjal

ehh it's ok

Zangarmarsh
Howling Fjord
Crystalsong
Hellfire
Blade's Edge
Twilight headlands

fuck this shit

Terokkar forest
Borean tundra
Zul'Drak
Netherstorm
Deepholm

There's a special place in hell for this one

Vashj'ir

Too lazy to list Pandaria zones too
WTF, no offense Dawg, but this is bullshit.

Zangarmarsh, Terrokar, and Crystalsong are some of the best zones in the game. Borean Tundra and Hellfire are pretty awesome, too.

On second look, though, that's really all I disagree with.... pretty accurate list otherwise. Zul'Drak and Vashj'ir are pretty horrible.

The worst of vanilla in catagories:

Leveling Zone - Silithus
Most Unused - Burning Steppes
That's a zone? - Alterac Mountains

Burning Steppes seemed to have depth behind it but I rarely used it. Alterac Mountains was a whole different story. I thought it was a waste. I loved the lore behind it and all of that but it barely had anything to it. The quest givers were on the road and there was only one zone that was really anything which was the castle that the ogres took over.
Alterac was bad, but Loch Modan and Azshara were even worse. Loch Modan had like two quests, and Azshara had zero.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Back in Vanilla, I thought everyone had to go to Aszhara for the class specific Sunken Temple quests that existed at the time?

But sunken temple is in Swamp of Sorrows...

McNei1y

Alterac was bad, but Loch Modan and Azshara were even worse. Loch Modan had like two quests, and Azshara had zero.

Good point about Loch Modan. I stepped in the zone to quest maybe twice and finished a total of 5 quests. I left the zone immediately after to do Gnomeregan and Uldaman and such.

I feel like I did a lot of stuff in Azshara, at least for Horde. I stopped by two mini quest hubs near the bridge by Ashenvale. I did the class specific quest there as well. There was also high drop rates for alchemist mats. The Hydraxion Warlords were also there. And don't forget Azerugos. I spent a lot of time in Azshara.

I miss some of the Vanilla quests. Attunement and Class Quests were really expansive. Even the epic quests for the Hunter bow and stuff. It took you all over the place. I thought it was awesome having dungeon specific events that only led you to another place in some random zone that you would have never gone to without it.

Back in Vanilla, I thought everyone had to go to Aszhara for the class specific Sunken Temple quests that existed at the time?

It was a Blood elf and Mage quest line (dammit tauren and theirs assassinations quest) in that time at least for the Horde side.

I remember I got to silithus with the racial chain quest but now there is zero class/race questline just go to your capital and end of the quest chain.

RPGCrazied

Netherstorm and SMV are my favorite zones.

Did anyone else buy the fey dragon? So tempted. Would match my sprite darter pet that I have.

Salamando

Oh I know. The questline for my priest went something like "Trainer wants you to talk to this NPC in Aszhara...NPC wants you to kill stuff in Aszhara...NPC wants stuff from Sunken Temple. Reward: Your choice of one of three items, each tailor made for a certain spec"

Aszhara was also noteworthy for having the Hydraxian Waterlords rep. Every Molten Core raider knew their way around because of that. And there was that blue dragon world boss in later-vanilla.

McNei1y

You guys have terrible memory of Loch Modan, it had more than 2-5 quests. :lol

I never said it had 2-5. I just said I finished 2-5 quests. I moved on from those quests. I'm sure there was more there. I never thought it was the most unused/pointless but I don't have much on the matter since I have only leveled an alliance character past 25 a couple of times.

Khezu

Arathi Highlands was awesome for Horde.

So many nice quests, and it even had a a great series of group quests where you fight a bunch of elites in a castle.

There was also a nice multi zone quest where you fought a giant stone princess at the end.

Haven't done it post cata though, not sure how it holds up now.

Bisnic

Arathi Highlands was awesome for Horde.

So many nice quests, and it even had a a great series of group quests where you fight a bunch of elites in a castle.

There was also a nice multi zone quest where you fought a giant stone princess at the end.

Haven't done it post cata though, not sure how it holds up now.

Arathi Highlands didn't change much with Cataclysm other than making old group quests soloable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

That pretty much encapsulates Vanilla WoW; there were a shit-ton of quests where you'd talk to a guy in Booty Bay and he'd ask you to retrieve 6 bottles of wine he dropped in the ocean in the Hinterlands.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That pretty much encapsulates Vanilla WoW; there were a shit-ton of quests where you'd talk to a guy in Booty Bay and he'd ask you to retrieve 6 bottles of wine he dropped in the ocean in the Hinterlands.

Aww yes. I remember pupellyverbos port well.

Speaking of which Hinterlands (for me) has the beautifulest forest in WoW. Only Grizzly Hills comes close. And Hinterlands has that waterfall+beach+sea sunsets.

Loved Azhara's mage quests. Overall quite an appealing idea of leaving alone in a tower on a mountain with only access through teleport.

vocab

Arathi Highlands was miserable for alliance. Like having to grind levels just to get that gray/white question mark to turn yellow for one stupid quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom