• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Did that even in vanilla. And it was worth a ton of XP. and the Olmann Sewar before they nerfed the rewards? was OVERPOWERED.

The people saying you got shit definitely didn't do it within the first few months :p It was like, the best weapon you could get, for probably 10-15 levels.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=4116
Ilevel 41 at like a level 28 or 30 quest.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Speaking of nostalgia, this video is always concentrated nostalgia.

It's so poorly edited now, but it was THE pvp video.

Man pvp video are the best form of nostalgia ever but that's not Creed! Revenge of the Windfury part 2 was always the best enh shaman pvp video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4Hjb7p1fM

World of Roguecraft is still the best commentary on vanilla WoW ever made.

And Pat pvp was probably closer to being THE biggest video. Even if it was a warrior with every buff in the game and pocket healers galore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBnjELkgok

This was THE video among my group of friends and my server in vanilla.

Ultratech

Back in Vanilla, I thought everyone had to go to Aszhara for the class specific Sunken Temple quests that existed at the time?

There were a handful of quests there, but they kinda suck.

Also, fuck those Sunken Temple quests.
Stupid Hunter questline had you hunting those damn Courser Antlers which had a TERRIBLE drop rate. (Something like 5-7%)

That pretty much encapsulates Vanilla WoW; there were a shit-ton of quests where you'd talk to a guy in Booty Bay and he'd ask you to retrieve 6 bottles of wine he dropped in the ocean in the Hinterlands.

Pretty much.
A lot of quests had you crossing continents for some really silly stuff like the Onyxia attunement quests.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
12 levels in 30 minutes through RAF.
Brother wants to do dungeons. Think it's worth it? I was thinking we'd be leveling so fast that they'd be a waste of time.

Rokam

I'm weak, bought both. First mount and pet I've ever bought.
d9GHxGe.jpg

RPGCrazied

I'm weak, bought both. First mount and pet I've ever bought.

Its not suppose to look pretty, its a fey dragon. Just look at the sprite darter pet. Though the legs need some work. The color changing though is pretty bad ass. I might get it just for that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't know much about Draenor lore, but is there any chance we'll see in WoD the destruction of Auchindoun? That site always intrigued me back in BC.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't know much about Draenor lore, but is there any chance we'll see in WoD the destruction of Auchindoun? That site always intrigued me back in BC.

I'm pretty sure it's a dungeon un-destroyed.

And Pat pvp was probably closer to being THE biggest video. Even if it was a warrior with every buff in the game and pocket healers galore.
Thing was that it wasn't even the most abusive a early HWL Warrior could be. It's foggy now, 8 years out, but I remember something missed from his perfect scenario. I think it was something about not fully abusing the way Sweeping Strikes and WW used to stack. Pat was similar to Indalamar. Neither was really the most extreme situation. Pat wasn't one of the earliest HWLs so there were some that had an even bigger gap, and I don't remember him being particularly notable as a player. Inda was and Nurfed rolled us often in beta with sleep immune undead (actually they would have rolled us as dwarfs too they had the tightest crew for sure), but even his Warrior was maybe only the 4th to 60 in beta. Think there were 3 of us before him that had abused the Fury stacks even more because Blizzard had a small stack hotfix that we used to get 60 that wasn't in his vid. Same with the Pat vid. The more notable thing of those vids were just that they were the first vids to highlight it to the masses. Knee jerk vids that drew knee jerk nerfs -- in hindsight both vids were negative for Wars. Things were even worse though than those vids showed though.

Can't really show how though so I comment more for nostalgia's sake.

Actually I do have one shot left online on Photobucket and it's not particular more abusive than the Pat video in the least. But this was really an average game. Our guild used to chain 30-50 of these a day farming pugs to get guys to R14 on Stormreaver. This is all fall 2005 when AB/BWL were new.

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/KyanMehwulfe/media/stats_Arathi.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Bit of nostalgia while I'm here. WoW is such a distant memory, hard to believe its ten years since F&F Alpha.

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/KyanMehwulfe/media/First_1000.jpg.html?sort=3&o=28

First time WoW ever hit just 1000 concurrent players in its history, crazy to think it would hit 10m subscribers back then (or any online game like LOL would have 3m daily back in the pre-WoW DAOC/WC3 days).

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/KyanMehwulfe/media/2_Kyan.jpg.html?sort=3&o=43
http://s620.photobucket.com/user/KyanMehwulfe/media/Glitched_Orc.jpg.html?sort=3&o=42

Old skill systems.

http://s620.photobucket.com/user/KyanMehwulfe/media/Undead_Pope.jpg.html?sort=3&o=40

And the good ole' Pope hat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Recruit a friend not allowing voice chat is REALLY stupid. Like 'hey enjoy questing together ... but not on our servers til you pay up, asshole.'

ampere

12 levels in 30 minutes through RAF.
Brother wants to do dungeons. Think it's worth it? I was thinking we'd be leveling so fast that they'd be a waste of time.

Dungeons work really well with RAF. Def do some, especially if one of you is a tank.

Recruit a friend not allowing voice chat is REALLY stupid. Like 'hey enjoy questing together ... but not on our servers til you pay up, asshole.'

? In game voice chat? Does that feature still exist?

Ultratech

Welp, managed to solo Unholy Infusion.
Tried to do it in Frost, but he does way too much damage at the end.
Went Blood and managed to get him down.

Now the fun part of doing Blood Infusion (of which I"m prolly gonna have to wait until next week or find 3-4 people or something).

? In game voice chat? Does that feature still exist?

Yup. Just like the in-game Raid finder thingie (that most people don't even know exists, much less use).

Waiting for 5.4.2 before I drop back in. I want to take advantage of the cross-realm account bound item mailing for my Draenei Paladin. Should be an awesome character to use for Warlords of Draenor.

Dawg

That RPS article over at gaming is especially why I don't like reading/posting in WoW threads in general.

People calling Blizzard shit. Calling their games shit, especially WoW. Asking the cliché "why do people even play this?" question.

Seriously man, I bet most people saying that shit haven't even played WoW.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thing was that it wasn't even the most abusive a early HWL Warrior could be. It's foggy now, 8 years out, but I remember something missed from his perfect scenario. I think it was something about not fully abusing the way Sweeping Strikes and WW used to stack.

Wow you're as old school as they come! Tons of awesome screen shots I love the old memories, unfortunately I only started playing during the stress test and open beta. If I remember right Pat was doing that one talent glitch where they could get both MS and death wish? Didn't deathwish also stack with another buff back then too? Was it enrage or recklessness?

I very much remember the first time I saw Pat pvp as the moment where I said "he's playing dynasty warriors not WoW!" Especially those 3k white swings were really something else to me, like you'd see the broken invulnerable mail and the sleep leather shamans everywhere but something about pats felt less gimmicky and more "attainable" of course then I learned how he was basically building the perfect match with buffs and tricks that you couldn't spot easily.

Fjordson

Does anyone remember the tauren warrior Pat? He used to put out some really entertaining PvP videos during vanilla. Granted he had pocket healers and was buffed out the ass, but it was still awesome to watch. Always loved his videos since I also played a warrior (though I never dominated BG's like that).

edit: uhhh..somehow I missed the multiple posts discussing Pat already above. Feel free to ignore this post :lol

Rokam

Anyone in here do solo H. LK 25 runs weekly? Going to be attempting it next week, looking for any extra tips I may have missed out on.

mclem

Anyone in here do solo H. LK 25 runs weekly? Going to be attempting it next week, looking for any extra tips I may have missed out on.

From the start, or just LK? You might come a cropper right at the beginning; in heroic, Marrowgar's Bone Spikes happen during the whirlwind, and since that's an aggro reset, it can target the 'tank' too.

Rokam

All you need is a normal LK 25 kill to be able to do it on heroic 25, unless that has changed. Which means you can get the kill the previous week, then clear up to him on 10 man and reset it to 25. And yes it's possible I know DKs and Paladins can do it so far. Not sure if dps DK's can, but Rets can for sure.

Too many damn people on Timeless Isle at this hour.. what the hell people get a life! And it's freaking Horde, on Stormrage, weirdos!

ZenaxPure

Man I need to reclaim my wall of shame glory in this thread, but, no active sub, NaNo writing, and close to 400 hours in Pokemon Y is gonna make that hard :(

Hoping I can activate around christmas again, but, fuck the month I came back for 5.4 only reminded me that I need to upgrade my pc a bit before doing it. Freaking ToT and SoO murder my frame rate so hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm really happy I got my brother to try the game out due to RAF. I had some fun leveling with him, but I kind of just want to play my DK. I'm scared of having alts because I won't stick to the one I like and burn out, but I need to be there for him to have triple xp. I'll probably enjoy leveling my monk with him, but I know he'll want to do more after that. What are some good 'mount runs' classes? Maybe I can just level those with him until he's got the classes he wants then I can use them for dailies and park them outside dungeons to do the daily mount runs. I mainly want him to get to 90 so we can start running old world stuff because I know he actually wants to do it. It was pretty funny when we finished the Wandering Isle quest line and dropped into Org and he goes, 'Oh, the game looks like crap again'

Also, can you not transmog fist weapons? Saw that transmog rules lists swords/axes/maces but no fists.

ampere

I'm really happy I got my brother to try the game out due to RAF. I had some fun leveling with him, but I kind of just want to play my DK. I'm scared of having alts because I won't stick to the one I like and burn out, but I need to be there for him to have triple xp. I'll probably enjoy leveling my monk with him, but I know he'll want to do more after that. What are some good 'mount runs' classes? Maybe I can just level those with him until he's got the classes he wants then I can use them for dailies and park them outside dungeons to do the daily mount runs. I mainly want him to get to 90 so we can start running old world stuff because I know he actually wants to do it. It was pretty funny when we finished the Wandering Isle quest line and dropped into Org and he goes, 'Oh, the game looks like crap again'

Also, can you not transmog fist weapons? Saw that transmog rules lists swords/axes/maces but no fists.

Monks are great at soloing old stuff, good self healing as a dps spec.

You can only xmog fist weapon <-> fist weapon. Something to do with them using unarmed animations vs 1 hander animations

Khezu

I love jumping into a new expansion on the tail end of it, so much new stuff to explore, and everything is changed so much, all kinds of little improvements everywhere.

I really love the new talent system.

And Moonkins can ride mounts now! And god does it look as stupid as I thought it would.

i quit after the last expansion after hitting 85 and doing some lfr, is there any point in me asking for a scroll of resurrection? a lot of the perks seem to be for characters 80 and under

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love jumping into a new expansion on the tail end of it, so much new stuff to explore, and everything is changed so much, all kinds of little improvements everywhere.

I really love the new talent system.

And Moonkins can ride mounts now! And god does it look as stupid as I thought it would.
Moonkins on Sandbox Tiger is the funniest thing ever.

Boogdud

That RPS article over at gaming is especially why I don't like reading/posting in WoW threads in general.

People calling Blizzard shit. Calling their games shit, especially WoW. Asking the cliché "why do people even play this?" question.

Seriously man, I bet most people saying that shit haven't even played WoW.

Don't sweat it dude. Those same people would bitch and moan to the world chess federation about how lame and irrelevant chess is, and question why anyone in the world would play it when there are games like 'dudebro the shootgasm' out there.

Ultratech

You can do it with just a lock or a shaman friend, if you can't find more people. Did it with a lock myself.

Yeah, I was reading up on that last night.

But you need a Plague Scientist or some way (or somebody) to do a lot of DPS to try and beat the enrage.
And I used up most of my Plague Scientists last night (there still might be one or two around if trash didn't disappear after Putricide died).
But I may try it later with a lock.

Hopefully WoD doesn't remove Frostbroods. At 100 I might be able to get one with my pocket healer finally.

What do you have left on the Achievements?

Most of 'em are pretty easy to get now save for one or two that are just annoying.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hopefully WoD doesn't remove Frostbroods. At 100 I might be able to get one with my pocket healer finally.

There's no reason to believe it would. Plagued/Black proto are the only achievement mounts that were ever removed.

ZenaxPure

There's no reason to believe it would. Plagued/Black proto are the only achievement mounts that were ever removed.

Pretty much, Blizz dropped the idea of temporary achievement mounts after those, though, it looks like they brought it back this tier with the wolf mount from SoO?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bet you money there will be multiple recolors of that wolf mount available for purchase in WoD.
\
I haven't done any of the challenges to get the Frostbrood yet, but I know 3 other people, so I think I'll get them together to do the 10 man version. Probably knock it out in like a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom