• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

I currently do Onyxia, Tempest Keep, Karazhan and Serpentshrine Cavern each week. If Malygos really is that easy I think I'll add him to the list.

RPGCrazied

Yup, it's pretty easy. Especially so for bursty ranged.

Just try to not spam the button combinations.

Like wait a little bit, hit 1, wait a sec, hit 1, then wait until you got enough energy to hit 2, and then hit 3, and repeat.

The reasoning for this is to keep the DoT stacking, since it does increasingly more damage to Malygos.

I must suck, or something. Tried twice, nada.

If it wasn't for the drake shit in the 2nd half, I could do it.

If Huolons mount drops on a character that doesn't have cloud serpent flying, can they still learn the mount, so I can use it on my character that does have it?

You can keep it until you have the license to add it to the mounts., that happened to me with the black dragon drop of the Sha

I must suck, or something. Tried twice, nada.

If it wasn't for the drake shit in the 2nd half, I could do it.

As soon as you're on the drake, before Malygos is targetable, just mash on 3 to build up the stacks of healing (and continue mashing so the healing timer continues to be reset). As soon as you can target Malygos switch to the 1, 1, 2, 3 pattern. (or if you're finding the stacks are dropping 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 works as well but it'll be a somewhat slower kill).

Obviously make sure the attacks are happening. Don't just mash them all in the span of three seconds and repeat. You'll always have to wait after the "1" attacks for the energy to build up to do "2". I usually just mash "2" until I see the attack go out and then repeat the pattern since you shouldn't have to wait for energy on "1" or "3".

Edit:
Isn't the dot better if you wait until you have 5 combo points before using spell #2?

The combo points determine how long the timer is on the dot, not the actual damage dealt. If you use the abilities as soon as you're able the 1, 1, 2, 3 pattern will be enough to keep renewing and adding to the stack without letting it drop off. Adding one more "1" acts like a safety net to give you a few more seconds if you happen to be slow on the pattern. I believe the combo points also do the same for the HoT and will change the length but again the pattern is quick enough that if done properly keeps the stack up without letting it drop and reset.

Touch

21 Malygos kills on my druid so far. I have got 3 drakes (two blue one azure). I have yet to get a Black Ice to drop. Come on Blizz...

RPGCrazied

As soon as you're on the drake, before Malygos is targetable, just mash on 3 to build up the stacks of healing (and continue mashing so the healing timer continues to be reset). As soon as you can target Malygos switch to the 1, 1, 2, 3 pattern. (or if you're finding the stacks are dropping 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 works as well but it'll be a somewhat slower kill).

Obviously make sure the attacks are happening. Don't just mash them all in the span of three seconds and repeat. You'll always have to wait after the "1" attacks for the energy to build up to do "2". I usually just mash "2" until I see the attack go out and then repeat the pattern since you shouldn't have to wait for energy on "1" or "3".

Ahh. I was definitely spamming that rotation. I found sometimes I couldn't press 2, it was greyed out. Plus I wasn't moving at all. Should I try and constantly move? Maybe that is why he mows me down.

Ahh. I was definitely spamming that rotation. I found sometimes I couldn't press 2, it was greyed out. Plus I wasn't moving at all. Should I try and constantly move? Maybe that is why he mows me down.

Only move when he sends out the big electric attack at your spot. You'll just need to move sideways around. And you don't have to move super far. If you think of a circle around him I tend to move around 1/6 of the arc to reposition. The other attacks you just sit and eat since you can't dodge them.

You only should move when he throws that electricity cloud at you.

And yes you have to wait a couple seconds for 2 sometimes because it costs a lot of energy.

Just make sure to not let the dot fall off, that's like 90% of your damage in the dragon phase, you want to keep stacking it with 2, if the hot falls off not really a deal but if the dot does its a pita.

RPGCrazied

Only move when he sends out the big electric attack at your spot. You'll just need to move sideways around. And you don't have to move super far. If you think of a circle around him I tend to move around 1/6 of the arc to reposition. The other attacks you just sit and eat since you can't dodge them.

Ah, I remember I tried with you, but we didn't do it. But you helped me get the onxyia and twilight drake. That was epic, all in one day too.

And yes you have to wait a couple seconds for 2 sometimes because it costs a lot of energy.

Just make sure to not let the dot fall off, that's like 90% of your damage in the dragon phase, you want to keep stacking it with 2, if the hot falls off not really a deal but if the dot does its a pita.

I'll try again then, thanks for all the tips guys.

21 Malygos kills on my druid so far. I have got 3 drakes (two blue one azure). I have yet to get a Black Ice to drop. Come on Blizz...

Just checked. I'm at 28 kills (27 10m, 1 25m just to see if I could solo that through the drake phase). I'm still waiting on the blue drake and I believe this is the last raid/dungeon mount I can solo. I know I've had at least a couple Black Ice fall but I just vendor them.

I feel like 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 can cut it a bit too close, 1, 1, 2, 3 is more chill.

In what way would 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 cut it close? In beating the enrage? Because it easily does so as this was the pattern I used for at least a dozen of the kills before I realized 1, 1, 2, 3 was possible without stacks dropping.

One last tip that can help a bit is to go a little slow during the first phase of the fight and bring Malygos down to around 55% and wait until a spark is near. Kill the spark, get the buff, and then zerg as much as possible from within the spark buff area to deal more damage before it flies out of range. As an enhancement shaman I was able to pop stuff and get down to around 25% health before I started doing the spark business and since then on a good one I can get the health down to 1% for a near instant death in the drake phase.

Ah, I remember I tried with you, but we didn't do it. But you helped me get the onxyia and twilight drake. That was epic, all in one day too.
Yeah, you had a really lucky day. If I was playing right now I'd take you through a Malygos run but I've been unsubscribed for a couple months. Thinking about coming back so I'll hit you up if I hop back on.

Curious what we didn't do, though. You mean didn't get the drop? Because I know even if you happened to die during Malygos I would live through the fight, heh.

Robin64

Got Maly to like 10%, but lost the fire debuff on him at one point. Got it to 10 then it dropped and ugh. Have to try again. Tricky at first.

Edit: Ha, done it! Wibblewozzer's tip about the spark was invaluable.

In what way would 1, 1, 1, 2, 3 cut it close? In beating the enrage? Because it easily does so as this was the pattern I used for at least a dozen of the kills before I realized 1, 1, 2, 3 was possible without stacks dropping.

I feel like it would make it easier to drop the 5 stacks of healing because most of the time after a couple 1, 1, 2, my stacks only have a second or so before drop before 3. Maybe I'm wrong though, I've never tried anyway but 1, 1, 2, 3.

daedalius

Anyone have experience running WoW on a Microsoft Surface Pro?

I barely use it for anything else, I figured I could give it a shot running some games on my TV downstairs.

RPGCrazied

Curious what we didn't do, though. You mean didn't get the drop? Because I know even if you happened to die during Malygos I would live through the fight, heh.

My dps is bad, and I died pretty fast, and you had to do most of the drake phase yourself, you got very close but didn't kill him either.

Don't know why either.

If you already have Order of the Cloud Serpent at least at revered and have the account-wide bonus token, you can get from nothing to exalted in 1-3 days (probably 2), tops, if you hunt eggs a bit. Even on high pop realms eggs will usually be around since everyone finished that on their mains over a year ago.

RPGCrazied

If you already have Order of the Cloud Serpent at least at revered and have the account-wide bonus token, you can get from nothing to exalted in 1-3 days (probably 2), tops, if you hunt eggs a bit. Even on high pop realms eggs will usually be around since everyone finished that on their mains over a year ago.

This late in the game though, you should only have to do the grind once and all your characters on your account should be able to use the mount. I did it on 3 toons, never again.

Jag

You can keep it until you have the license to add it to the mounts., that happened to me with the black dragon drop of the Sha

Huolon you can add to your mounts even if you win it on a toon that doesn't have cloud flying. You can then use it on the characters that do. I was able to do it with the mount.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm going to say something that could get me lynched...

I think Warlock tier 5 is stupid looking. I think it looks like something Todd McFarlane came up with. I think just about every other warlock set looks more 'warlock-y' without coming off as trying too hard with SPIKES AND SKULLS. Except Firelands tier. That one's just boring.

Ultratech

My laptop's AC adapter is on the fritz again...so I had to order a new one from Amazon that won't get in until Tues/Wed.
(I kinda messed up in not buying another one when my battery went out last time. Plus, the cord for the adapter's all bent and crap.)

In the meantime, I put WoW on my work laptop and holy crap!
It runs so smooth! (Was getting a constant 60-65 FPS in Org.)

A shame about the smaller screen and lack of of a keypad though...I'll have to fiddle around with the key settings I guess.

Mordeccai

Gonna give this another shot. If anybody would be so kind as to send me a scroll of resurrection you would make my weekend. From what I understand, you also get a pretty cool looking ghostly mount. I am definitely going to resub so you will certainly get your mount! Need one from the US. Battle tag is JohnKimble#1334, if you need an email send me a PM.

Tacitus_

I think Warlock tier 5 is stupid looking. I think it looks like something Todd McFarlane came up with. I think just about every other warlock set looks more 'warlock-y' without coming off as trying too hard with SPIKES AND SKULLS. Except Firelands tier. That one's just boring.

Get the tar and feathers folks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They should let you buy Raid Finder versions of tiers with JP or let you choose that color scheme with regular tokens.

Dragon Soul raid finder warlock set - I'm talking about you.

Ultratech

They should let you buy Raid Finder versions of tiers with JP or let you choose that color scheme with regular tokens.

I remember reading about some bug where you could get into an LFR, portal out (or teleport out), then somehow enter DS at Raid Finder difficulty (because it's forced into it).

But I can't find much on it other than that, or if it still works or not.

Last I read though, that only got you into the 2nd half.

Yup, they should just add it to the raid difficulty tab.

I find it really funny that in MoP the LFR items always have the best color schemes, and HC ones are the ugliest, and normal/flex is just good. Though imo MoP tier sets have been ugly as hell in general, Rogue/hunter T14 and Druid/DK T15 being exceptions.

You have no idea how many painful LFR's I myself through just to complete the rogue T14 lookalike blue set on my monk.

If you're going for green warlock sets though, the Cataclysmic one is my favorite, dem eyes.

I'm actually wonder, how do you people think blizzard designs gear? Alternating teams? 1 steady team? A bunch of individuals? I find it weird how some can be so good and some so bad, especially when it's universal.

Judging by the PVP gear I think they have alternating teams.

Like the Malevolent PVP gear was almost universally awesome, but then the Tyrannical PVP gear was universally hideous (except rogue and DK if you ignore the helms), and then the Grievous tier was once again universally awesome. But then while we've had a lot of cool PVP sets the PVE ones have just gotten progressively worse over MoP (compared to Cata which, say what you want but every tier had a bunch of awesome sets) which goes against the alternating teams thing. Odd.

I've looking forward to the prideful gear to see if we'll be ending the expansion on a high or low note.

Salamando

How hard is it to find groups and run Challenge Modes nowadays? Thinking of trying for the Pally set, but that char's on a faction opposite all my in-game friends.

I feel like it would make it easier to drop the 5 stacks of healing because most of the time after a couple 1, 1, 2, my stacks only have a second or so before drop before 3. Maybe I'm wrong though, I've never tried anyway but 1, 1, 2, 3.

You could be right about HoT stacks dropping with 1, 1, 1, 2, 3. I think when I was doing those I would have to mix things up a bit to build HoT stacks back up when health would get low. It's definitely faster and easier with 1, 1, 2, 3.

My dps is bad, and I died pretty fast, and you had to do most of the drake phase yourself, you got very close but didn't kill him either.

Don't know why either.

I think we tried 25m, because I was curious to try it with two people, and we didn't beat the enrage. That would make sense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dear Blizz, either give me Staff of hte Shadow Flame or Zhar'doom. I'm tired of running these raids.

And I wonder with the jump being from 90 to 100 how the levels of the raids will scale. What I mean is, Naxx/ICC/etc are generally REALLY fucking easy due to gear. Cataclysm not so much. Will a gain of 10 levels instead of 5 make Pandaria raids then like WOTLK raids are now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Had an idea for a class/race combo that would never happen due to blizzard having to do class/race specific stuff. But a Pandaren warlock that controlled sha instead of demons.
So you got the green? Congrats. That's next on my list. But I'm pretty terrible with caster classes so we will see how far I get.

Gearing up helps. But even with me, someone who plays a caster a lot, it's hard. I FINALLY got the felhunters to stop bugging out. My advice is to skip the los advice and just get sacrificial pact. You can eat his chaos bolts with those, and they conveniently time out perfectly off CD just as he casts it.

Just checked. I'm at 28 kills (27 10m, 1 25m just to see if I could solo that through the drake phase). I'm still waiting on the blue drake and I believe this is the last raid/dungeon mount I can solo. I know I've had at least a couple Black Ice fall but I just vendor them.

One last tip that can help a bit is to go a little slow during the first phase of the fight and bring Malygos down to around 55% and wait until a spark is near. Kill the spark, get the buff, and then zerg as much as possible from within the spark buff area to deal more damage before it flies out of range. As an enhancement shaman I was able to pop stuff and get down to around 25% health before I started doing the spark business and since then on a good one I can get the health down to 1% for a near instant death in the drake phase.

Yeah, you had a really lucky day. If I was playing right now I'd take you through a Malygos run but I've been unsubscribed for a couple months. Thinking about coming back so I'll hit you up if I hop back on.

Let me know when you come back. I'm down for whatever.

Had an idea for a class/race combo that would never happen due to blizzard having to do class/race specific stuff. But a Pandaren warlock that controlled sha instead of demons.

Gearing up helps. But even with me, someone who plays a caster a lot, it's hard. I FINALLY got the felhunters to stop bugging out. My advice is to skip the los advice and just get sacrificial pact. You can eat his chaos bolts with those, and they conveniently time out perfectly off CD just as he casts it.

What's the deal with the fel hunters? I've seen the video but since I'm still bit uncomfortable with them mechanically, I can't really tell what the fuck is going on or why they're so much trouble.

RPGCrazied

Same day for both?? Damn, that's awesome. I still haven't seen the Onyxian Drake after like 35 kills.

Yep. Was an amazing night. And it only took like 40 minutes total. :p I'm not having such good luck with some other rare mounts. Like the Raven Lord mount. Can't even count how many times I've been trying to get this mount, but it never/ever drops. I had much easier luck with the karazhan horse and the white hawkstrider from magisters terrace. Have both!

-NeoTB1-

Yep. Was an amazing night. And it only took like 40 minutes total. :p I'm not having such good luck with some other rare mounts. Like the Raven Lord mount. Can't even count how many times I've been trying to get this mount, but it never/ever drops. I had much easier luck with the karazhan horse and the white hawkstrider from magisters terrace. Have both!

I just got the Raven Lord mount 3 days ago. It only took me 3 or 4 years of trying. Not every day, mind you, but a lot. I also have the White Hawkstrider. It dropped for me after about 5 runs. I'm still trying to get the Huntsman's mount from Karazhan. Stupid 1 week CD...

Shadow Priests have a glyph that turns the mindbender (or maybe it's the other one - either way the pet) into a Sha. It's pretty cool.

Also - Finally downed Thok on Flex tonight! Used a roll, but no loot from him :( Did get gloves from Nazgrim off a seal though, so I'm happy about that since I could swap out my LFR shoulders for non-tier Flex ones. At 541 iLevel now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the deal with the fel hunters? I've seen the video but since I'm still bit uncomfortable with them mechanically, I can't really tell what the fuck is going on or why they're so much trouble.

If they face the pit lord you have enslaved they will INSTANTLY free him. And you can't recover unless you get insanely lucky because the felhunters take a while to die. The problem is that 'seeing' the Pit Lord is incredibly broad. It's like they have to be turned 180% away and sometimes they just spawn behind you for no reason. And sometimes they spawn and face the pit lord immediately.

I remember offering to get you the Twilight Drake and just sort of a, "Oh, want help on Onyxia real quick?" I was pretty surprised Onyxia dropped for you. Then again, I got Onyxia with only around eight attempts so with your kill that gives me roughly two Onyxia drops in nine kills. Not bad at all.

But I imagine your Raven Lord attempts doesn't come close to my Vitreous Stone Drake. I don't recall the exact number but it was around 263 kills, I believe? Drake of the ___ Wind (whatever the Vortex Pinnacle one is) was another 120ish kills from what I remember.

Edit: Just checked my posts from the last OT and my memory was pretty good! 264 kills for Vitreous Stone Drake and 112 for Drake of the North Wind. Ugh.

ampere

The two things I wish Blizzard would fix from vanilla dungeons are :

1)That one escort quest in Razorden Downs where you have to accept and complete his first quest before starting the actual escort quest, which means at least 3 or 4 players will miss it. I always have to run to that guy first just to be sure i get the escort before someone start it too fast.

This is the worst thing in anything ever.

That's almost not hyperbole, it's such an outdated bad start to a dungeon quest.

iirate

I think it's fine for what it is. I like t4 a good deal more though, and t3 is my personal favorite of theirs.

That being said, I've never played warlock, and don't remember any of their tiers past TBC.

Also, I really prefer building my own unique armor sets over using any tier, even if there's one I like for the class. My shaman, priest, and death knight all have cohesive sets of armor that bear no resemblance to any tier, and I'm working on my female tauren monk's Sha'tari Skyguard set right now(which, although based on their armor, uses a lot of different choices to retain a monk flavor).

Then, my hunter has a set ready for Samus cosplay, assuming I ever have the patience to level her.

Bizazedo

Grats!

I should put more effort into PvP and go after those mounts.

That and the Wolf look really damn good.

I was surprised the warhorse looks fine on a Tauren. Usually the horse steeds are too small, but this one has bulk.

And yeah, Wolf looks fantastic.

It's funny because it's the wolf off Garrosh is just a palette swap of the PvP wolf, but the PvP wolf seems to be bigger and (imo obviously) looks much better anyways due to the color scheme.

I've been lazy on RBG's, but due to the wolf being auto awarded from them, s'why I chose the skeletal first.

Wolf next season if I continue to be lazy about RBG's haha..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Got one of them Naxx cloaks with the skull on the back. Looks like a Final Fight gang skull or something. Always liked those.

Fjordson

Nice, that's awesome.

And yeah, Raven Lord mout was tough for me. I was coming up on 200 kills before it dropped.

The only older mounts that are still holding out on me are Ashes of A'lar and the Onyxian Drake. Been a while now since I started running both weekly and I have yet to see either one.

iirate

Opinions.

Which healing class do you guys find the most fun?

Shaman is my personal favorite, but it's also the only class I've ever main'd. Their healing system is easy to learn, but comes with tons of little combos and tricks that are tons of fun to master.

Priest is ridiculously fun to solo challenging content with, particularly as discipline - soloing the 5 man icecrown valkyr guy at 79 and in regular questing gear is one of my favorite solo experiences ever.

Paladin bores me(which is a shame, because I love the class conceptually), druid is okay but a little simple from my limited experience.

I'm still leveling my monk, so I don't have any experience there yet, but there's a decent chance she'll be my main over shaman in WoD.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Downed Nazgrim within like 2 1/2 hours of our guild's first time into wing 2 flex. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but I thought it was pretty cool. Which means we'll be doing wing 3 flex next week. it helps that our tank was awesome. Galakras did something that AOEd all of us, I think we had some new healers, and he was down to 2% and the tank was the only one alive at full hp. Solo'd it.

On an aside, I hope WoD does more to flesh out the faction leaders and replaces some of them. Baine either needs to be replaced by Dezco or needs to be given something to do because right now he just looks like Vol'jin's cabin boy. I'd like to see a new major Troll character as well, maybe a female. Moira needs to get more screentime. I like her character. Very strong willed, very 'i used to be bad, but now i'm not, but that's because i have a stake in this with my kid' and I think the uneasy alliance between the bronzebeard and dark irons is cool. I'd also like to see the Earthen from Deepholm joining, but I doubt that would happen in an expansion set on Draenor. Genn needs to be rewritten to be the Alliance 'Sylvannas' but have far more of an excuse for it. He should be thinking about ripping out her throat every minute of the day. He should be Wrynn's bad cop. He's a giant wolf man who, for no reason, nearly had his people wiped out by the Forsaken. He should be creating conflict within the Alliance by sending his people out of their way to try to kill her. Or kill off Genn and put Crowley in charge.

But who am I kidding, Worgen's don't get stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom