• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grats man! I just finished my weekly run. Still no luck =[ I'm coming up on 45 kills total.

Oh shit, they aren't linked anymore? Damn. Supposedly that sped up the spawn timer, so that's sort of a bummer.

Yeah I've been thinking about whether or not I should patrol around, but basically staying disciplined on a single spot is the better course to take? And maybe party up with my brother's account at a different spawn so I can watch two spots? I mean I mostly work from home and have two laptops plus my wife's Mac, so I could get some hardcore camping going here :lol

Well, camping one spot is the best during the day. At night, depending on your server and CRZ, you might be one of the only people really camping if you're awake at odd hours. At that point doing a quick fly around may not be a terrible idea. Or at least make sure you're in a spot that is around several spawns (Bor's Breath/waterfall area). I just took Brunnhilder Village because it was almost always freed up and didn't get much traffic. The Ulduar spawn is similar in that regard.

But honestly just grab npcscan, drop the volume of the game, and crank the volume. Leave the game running in the background and ignore it. Make sure to wiggle your character every 30 minutes so you don't get kicked for afk. That'll make it much more relaxing and less boring since you can do other stuff.

I happened to be around for TLPD but Aeonaxx I got after a week when the alarm went off while watching The Master. Poseidus was fairly lucky on my second second attempt. I had just logged on and grabbed a spot and about twenty minutes later it spawned right on top of me while I was browsing online or something. I know I wasn't focused on the game for that one, either.

The less time you're sitting there staring at the screen waiting the better it is. There's simply too much downtime otherwise.

Also doesn't hurt to add a regular player from the opposite faction as a Real ID friend. I had that happen about two days into TLPD with a horde player that was goofing off at my spawn and we were showing off mounts. From then on we were able to alert when the last known spawns took place and which faction got it. Pretty certain we only missed one spawn of Vyra/TLPD in two weeks since we kept up good communication.

Good luck, they're not exactly the most fun to get but once you start distancing yourself from the process it doesn't feel like it takes much time at all. And if you have regular stuff you do in game just aim to do it following a confirmed kill of a rare since there's always the window before a possible respawn. I always waited to do my dailies and other mount attempts following a kill.

Fjordson

Well, camping one spot is the best during the day. At night, depending on your server and CRZ, you might be one of the only people really camping if you're awake at odd hours. At that point doing a quick fly around may not be a terrible idea. Or at least make sure you're in a spot that is around several spawns (Bor's Breath/waterfall area). I just took Brunnhilder Village because it was almost always freed up and didn't get much traffic. The Ulduar spawn is similar in that regard.

But honestly just grab npcscan, drop the volume of the game, and crank the volume. Leave the game running in the background and ignore it. Make sure to wiggle your character every 30 minutes so you don't get kicked for afk. That'll make it much more relaxing and less boring since you can do other stuff.

I happened to be around for TLPD but Aeonaxx I got after a week when the alarm went off while watching The Master. Poseidus was fairly lucky on my second second attempt. I had just logged on and grabbed a spot and about twenty minutes later it spawned right on top of me while I was browsing online or something. I know I wasn't focused on the game for that one, either.

The less time you're sitting there staring at the screen waiting the better it is. There's simply too much downtime otherwise.

Also doesn't hurt to add a regular player from the opposite faction as a Real ID friend. I had that happen about two days into TLPD with a horde player that was goofing off at my spawn and we were showing off mounts. From then on we were able to alert when the last known spawns took place and which faction got it. Pretty certain we only missed one spawn of Vyra/TLPD in two weeks since we kept up good communication.

Good luck, they're not exactly the most fun to get but once you start distancing yourself from the process it doesn't feel like it takes much time at all. And if you have regular stuff you do in game just aim to do it following a confirmed kill of a rare since there's always the window before a possible respawn. I always waited to do my dailies and other mount attempts following a kill.
Yeah, my server is pretty large and with CRZ also there's basically always 3-4 other people around. I think during the day when I only have my one character I'll just park him at Brunnhildar like you said.

At night when I can pay more attention I'll basically park my hunter at the Frozen Lake spawn since that can see multiple paths and then roam around the Brunnhildar / Ulduar spawns with my brother's priest. Those two spawns seem to always be free on my server as well so it could end up flying around over there before someone else sees it.

TLPD seems like a real pain just because even if you do get a spawn there's a good chance it'll be Vyragosa instead of TLPD :lol

Do you remember on average how many hours it was in between spawns? It seems to be incredibly random on my server. That's why I was hoping I could go out and kill rares to speed it up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That new female Orc model makes me kinda want to gender swap my warlock when WoD comes out if I decide to play it instead of the Monk

She looks rad.

I wanted to use my free lvl 90 boost on a Night Elf Druid, but I think I'll wait 'till I got a chance to try out all the new character models.

Orc Female looks good though. Really want to see Humans, Night Elves and Trolls.

Hixx

Press event is taking place in Korea and France right now, some French fansite posted a pic of twitter of them playing WoD. So close to more info! Guess it will be early next week, like it was for MoP?

Wubby

Oh wow maintenance again?? This is three nights in a row now. Last night I got lucky that it came back a bit early but damn this is getting ridiculous. Haven't had a chance to do much of anything the whole week.

Yeah, my server is pretty large and with CRZ also there's basically always 3-4 other people around. I think during the day when I only have my one character I'll just park him at Brunnhildar like you said.

At night when I can pay more attention I'll basically park my hunter at the Frozen Lake spawn since that can see multiple paths and then roam around the Brunnhildar / Ulduar spawns with my brother's priest. Those two spawns seem to always be free on my server as well so it could end up flying around over there before someone else sees it.

TLPD seems like a real pain just because even if you do get a spawn there's a good chance it'll be Vyragosa instead of TLPD :lol

Do you remember on average how many hours it was in between spawns? It seems to be incredibly random on my server. That's why I was hoping I could go out and kill rares to speed it up.

It's been awhile so I don't remember what the spawn window is. Isn't it possible between 4-24 hours? Regardless, it was commonly between 6-12. I don't believe we were saw one faster than 4 hours and there was one time it hit around 23 hours, which was when we figured we could have completely missed one sighting of a spawn. Roughly 6 hours seemed the most common. It only hit over 12 once or twice.

If you go for Aeonaxx it's going to be the same sort of thing. Poseidus is more predictable.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Oh wow maintenance again?? This is three nights in a row now. Last night I got lucky that it came back a bit early but damn this is getting ridiculous. Haven't had a chance to do much of anything the whole week.

There's a few issues that need to be fixed.

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/436189262065582081

KNOWN ISSUES 2/19:
- Missing pets/mounts
- Character service delays
- Armory issues
We will provide updates when we have more to share.

Wubby

It's been awhile so I don't remember what the spawn window is. Isn't it possible between 4-24 hours? Regardless, it was commonly between 6-12. I don't believe we were saw one faster than 4 hours and there was one time it hit around 23 hours, which was when we figured we could have completely missed one sighting of a spawn. Roughly 6 hours seemed the most common. It only hit over 12 once or twice.

If you go for Aeonaxx it's going to be the same sort of thing. Poseidus is more predictable.

Did they increase the spawn rate of TLPD? I could have sworn it was a lot longer than 4-24 hours. Thankfully I grabbed mine when my server died.

Question about Aeonaxx and Poseidus: Does phasing affect whether you see their spawn or not? I've never quested in either area and have never run across them even when my server was dead. I always wondered if maybe I wasn't seeing them because of phasing.

I wonder if the camel is actually the rarest find in the game now. Only one that comes with a title.

Did they increase the spawn rate of TLPD? I could have sworn it was a lot longer than 4-24 hours. Thankfully I grabbed mine when my server died.

Question about Aeonaxx and Poseidus: Does phasing affect whether you see their spawn or not? I've never quested in either area and have never run across them even when my server was dead. I always wondered if maybe I wasn't seeing them because of phasing.

I wonder if the camel is actually the rarest find in the game now. Only one that comes with a title.
TLPD's spawn time hasn't changed. No. It shares a spawn with Vyragosa and used to only have a 5% chance of spawning but I get the impression that may have gone up from what some people have talked about and my own personal experience. When I camped for about two weeks there were four or five TLPD spawns over around 30 total spawns or whatever the count was. Much higher than 5%.

Aeonaxx I never once saw while a couple characters or while doing regular spawn camping. It wasn't until I hung out for a week that it finally spawned and I got it. Keep in mind it shares the same spawn rules of having a 5% chance to spawn and in place a tiny bat can spawn. I always forget the name of the bat. I never spotted the bat in my week of camping.

Poseidus is rough. It spawns roughly once per week and the window is 72-120 hours after reset. So that means a week like this one with multiple resets screws up its timer. It'll spawn that one time and then take another 72-120 hour spawn window. If it spawns very early it then has a second chance to spawn in a week but odds are low so expect a single spawn each week at one of five spots. My first weekend it spawned at a different spot than me but I was lucky on my second weekend.

CRZ can be screwy for these mounts when on flight paths but that's it, to my understanding. People will spot TPLD but as soon as they land they're phased into a different server and the spawn is gone.

The camel sucks so much. I've found around 25 wrong camel figurines.

Shahadan

That awkward moment when you read the wow official forums and remember why you decided to never go back there again if your life depended on it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I finally succeeded in getting the game to run in 640 × 480. The fix was rather simple, only thing needed was to enable showing of all screen resolutions via the Control Panel. I chose 640 × 480, High Color, 60 Hz to begin with. Was manageable, and it increased the FPS a bit. Should be able to get it way higher with some optimization though.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks like in fullscreen mode on my 4:3 monitor. I have increased the size from 640 × 480 to 1280 × 900, it's as close I can get it to the real thing.

wow640x480bbjpx.png

Now I don't have to mess around with this anymore. And hopefully won't WoD change much.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Mamytwink, who attended the press event in Versaille today, posted this on the MMO-Champion forums:

@mamytwink Were there any cutscenes during the zone? or placeholders for future cutscenes?

-> YES !! Behold HUGE SPOILER. Please don’t click if you don’t want to be spoiled. I don’t want to be flamed.

At the end of the Alliance Zone, Ner’zhul creates a « Dark Naaru ». To purify it Velen sacrifies himself and dies. After this, you follow Maraad to fight the Iron Horde Army that attacked Karabor. You kill all Orcs.

Did they get any updates yet? something along the lines of this

-> There were Elks, but didn’t noticed huge changes on those. Hadn’ttime to check pricesly though.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...atch-notes?p=25490372&viewfull=1#post25490372

Sixth day of camping for the Time-Lost Proto Drake. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, I must have a problem.

Going to start dual-boxing with my brother's account and killing rares around Northrend. Apparently all the rares are linked since Cataclysm, so if you kill a bunch in other zones it speeds up the spawn timer for Vyragosa / TLPD.

I've gotten three Vyragosa kills, and seen the corpse of the TLPD twice so far =[

Where are you camping?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Rösti;101603489 said:
I finally succeeded in getting the game to run in 640 × 480. The fix was rather simple, only thing needed was to enable showing of all screen resolutions via the Control Panel. I chose 640 × 480, High Color, 60 Hz to begin with. Was manageable, and it increased the FPS a bit. Should be able to get it way higher with some optimization though.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks like in fullscreen mode on my 4:3 monitor. I have increased the size from 640 × 480 to 1280 × 900, it's as close I can get it to the real thing.

http://abload.de/img/wow640x480bbjpx.png[IMG]

Now I don't have to mess around with this anymore. And hopefully won't WoD change much.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/r1t2rGA.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Jesus fucking christ Rosti, get your god damn life together.

Berordn

Geez Blizzard
thanks for killing a character that was barely present since BC days, I was hoping this expansion would make him much more present.

Shouldn't we be able to find
young Velen
in Karabor? I wouldn't be surprised to see their memories merged or some stupid shit like that.

Shahadan

New talbuk and sporebats models sound like a thing that'll please me.
Also bonus objective during questing. Guess there was no escaping GW2's events/FFXIV's Fate bandwagon (although it sounds like a solo thing? maybe not, it wasn't clear.)

Edit: From mamytwink (french fansite)

He also said it took 5 hours to reach 92. Seems short I guess.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
New talbuk and sporebats models sound like a thing that'll please me.
Also bonus objective during questing. Guess there was no escaping GW2's events/FFXIV's Fate bandwagon (although it sounds like a solo thing? maybe not, it wasn't clear.)

Edit: From mamytwink (french fansite)

He also said it took 5 hours to reach 92. Seems short I guess.

That's something that can always be tweaked, and probably a lot easier now since all your stats are based on gear not level.

Aylinato

There's
2 Velen's
people.

I think it's only reason for being included at all is because
that blizzard noticed people loved Valen more than varian and must ensure that varian is the only hero that alliance can look up to by always killing off all other choices, or destroying every other human leader by destroying their cities/making them go insane because Metzen "there can only be one." Cause how else do you explain all but one human leader isn't incompetent in their duties. I mean hell the only competent ones are one dwarf, and valen. Every single other alliance leader has lost almost all their capitals, main territories, or go insane.

Rokam

Guys regarding that spoiler
that's not our Velen. That's alternate timeline Velen. Ours didn't come with us.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Iron Horde idea is so retarded.

So Garrosh goes through and warns them about the demons and then gets them on his side instead.

Alright, so now the Orcs should all be good guys and peaceful again. They were motivated to kill Draenei by KilJaeden. Dreanei would definitely forgive and forget if the orcs stopped attacking as well.

So, instead of that, Garrosh motivates them to just do what the demons wouldve done anyway, which is attack Azeroth.

Fine, whatever, he's Groms son maybe he's charismatic. But we're talking about Orcs who haven't even been through 1 of the 3 wars. Alliance should be so far advanced just tactics wise they shouldn't even be scared. Instead, we have Garrosh pretty much changing Orc culture overnight into them being alright with using cheap tricks and machinery instead of pure brawn like they always do.

Bouts of honor were fought naked and with a weapon because Orc philosophy is the strongest one should win.

So even still, fine. Whatever, he re-made the old Horde into his perfect vision. Why are they agreeing to attack their future selves and/or their descendants? Etrigg was a blackrock orc not frostwolf, why would he try to fight his future self? They don't even have the demonic blood haze that clouded their minds anymore.

I know, "lol WoW story" but they at least have the presumption to tell one, at least don't shit all over the good WC3/TFT stories.

StMeph

Velen had to get a lot of glossy lore because they retconned everything about the Eredar.

I don't see how alternate-timeline Velen could possibly make things any worse.

Shahadan

So Garrosh goes through and warns them about the demons and then gets them on his side instead.

Alright, so now the Orcs should all be good guys and peaceful again. They were motivated to kill Draenei by KilJaeden. Dreanei would definitely forgive and forget if the orcs stopped attacking as well.

So, instead of that, Garrosh motivates them to just do what the demons wouldve done anyway, which is attack Azeroth.

Fine, whatever, he's Groms son maybe he's charismatic. But we're talking about Orcs who haven't even been through 1 of the 3 wars. Alliance should be so far advanced just tactics wise they shouldn't even be scared. Instead, we have Garrosh pretty much changing Orc culture overnight into them being alright with using cheap tricks and machinery instead of pure brawn like they always do.

Bouts of honor were fought naked and with a weapon because Orc philosophy is the strongest one should win.

So even still, fine. Whatever, he re-made the old Horde into his perfect vision. Why are they agreeing to attack their future selves and/or their descendants? Etrigg was a blackrock orc not frostwolf, why would he try to fight his future self? They don't even have the demonic blood haze that clouded their minds anymore.

I know, "lol WoW story" but they at least have the presumption to tell one, at least don't shit all over the good WC3/TFT stories.

I think the obvious idea behind the story is that old orcs can't escape corruption and Garrosh provides it instead of demon blood.

Besides, I rarely agree with the whole "lol wow story" it often comes from people who don't read quests, although I agree cataclysm was nonsense, mostly because they changed many points during development and ran out of time. Or were just lazy, felt like that too.
That said we can all agree that the warlords storyline is dumb and far fetched fan service, but they can tell it right if they're competent enough. MoP storyline sounded dumb at first and they did something really great, except for the Mogu imo. They could have been done way better.

I think the main difference about the Iron Horde is they wont be controlled or deceived to conquer azeroth or in this case Draneor but by their own will and escape their enslaving fate.

StMeph

Isn't Garrosh also still tainted by Y'sharrj? So he goes to alternate-universe Draenor and forms his vision of the True Horde. And I guess he attacks Azeroth because it's what he knows?

Why is this even a thing? Why let Garrosh off to spawn this ridiculous storyline and scenario? How the hell do you build an entire expansion out of this framework?

Shahadan

I think the main difference about the Iron Horde is they wont be controlled or deceived to conquer azeroth or in this case Draneor but by their own will and escape their enslaving fate.

I think they'll ultimately be mad with power/tech in the same way than with demon blood. Even in the trailer it sounds like this (a wave of blood and iron that will wash over this world and all others *epic music* )

It's the easy way, make them the bad guys and make them all killable, but it's an interesting idea if they tell it the right way.

they probably won't

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think the obvious idea behind the story is that old orcs can't escape corruption and Garrosh provides it instead of demon blood.

Besides, I rarely agree with the whole "lol wow story" it often comes from people who don't read quests, although I agree cataclysm was nonsense, mostly because they changed many points during development and ran out of time. Or were just lazy, felt like that too.

Uh, the entire point of WC3 was that Orcs could overcome Mannoroths blood haze.

The books make it a point that Orcs were misled by Kil'Jaeden. Even Ner'Zhul feels disgusted when he learns the truth, it's Gul'dan who continues that work.

They aren't told what the corruption is, if they believe one orc why not Thrall or even Etrigg himself? Thrall has the Doomhammer, it should be proof enough to Orgrim that he's to be trusted. There's no reason for the Iron Horde to be enemies to our Horde.

Let's get this straight: any way you slice it, this is all just plot devices and bullshit at this point to give us a reason to re-visit the height of Orc civilization, RIGHT AFTER Alliance pretty much puts it right down. We don't get to play in an Azeroth where the Horde is downtrodden for even a second.

The actual Warcraft story of WoW hasn't been good since WotLK. Besides the fact that you get a lot of cool Arthas interactions (albeit too many if you do all the right quests) But all the ancillary Titan, Vrykul, Sons of Hodir etc characters we're interesting and had cool aesthetics.

I just don't like that the story isn't progressing. Cataclysm was resolution to WC2, MoP was just a load of What? and now WoD is just us re-doing Warcraft: Orcs and Humans.

Isn't Garrosh also still tainted by Y'sharrj? So he goes to alternate-universe Draenor and forms his vision of the True Horde. And I guess he attacks Azeroth because it's what he knows?

Why is this even a thing? Why let Garrosh off to spawn this ridiculous storyline and scenario? How the hell do you build an entire expansion out of this framework?

I don't think Garrosh was ever corrupted by it. The cool thing is is that he is actually the first character to have the strength of will to control any old god power without being corrupted. The problem is this was only fucking tweeted by someone and never explored in-game.

They are making it very clear Garrosh is only a catalyst to this, they used a lot of fancy words to basically say he's a plot device. I imagine he does something behind the scenes to set the Iron Horde on their path, and then is killed almost immediately.

My guess is:
  • Garrosh warns iron horde, unites them and then dies.
  • KilJaeden is furious, retakes control of the Iron Horde somehow, but has his guard up and is way more subtle. He changes his tactics.
  • Final Boss is full power alternate KilJaeden, maybe even alternate universe-Sargeras to stop him from coming to Azeroth again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom