• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Atlantis

Nothing wrong with stopping for a while. I quit for a while and missed most of Cata and Pandaria but it was fun to come back because I was actually interested in what was going on. If you think you won't be interested in the expansion just wait and play it later.

This is exactly what I did. Quit in early Cataclysm and recently resubbed on a shiny new account last week.

So far it's been pretty enjoyable, if not a little overwhelming. The raiding (which I've only read about) has me scratching my head a bit. The revamped 1-60 leveling is new content for me and overhauled instances like RFC, BFD, and SM keep things fresh. Still not sure if I'll end up buying Warlords though. Leaning towards yes right now, but we'll see once I have to trudge my way through Outland.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Always subject to change, and has over the last few months, but I think I'm going to go with my Ele Shaman as my PVE main(4 expansions running) but have my rogue as my PVP main as well.

Rogue is just so much more of a complete class with the new combo system, I love the 100 talents, and Ele Shaman and Rogue are two of the few DPS's that seemed to survive the ability prune with most of their utility in tact.

I'm either a terrible tank or I'm having horrendous luck when using lfg for ubrs.

People are wiping on trash mobs, no one is interrupting the second boss or the mobs leading up to him and we have to be pulling up to half the instance getting to the third boss

I'm a competent tank, but this shit is ridiculous

strafer

I'm either a terrible tank or I'm having horrendous luck when using lfg for ubrs.

People are wiping on trash mobs, no one is interrupting the second boss or the mobs leading up to him and we have to be pulling up to half the instance getting to the third boss

Welcome to LFG :p

Tank should be interrupting the second boss unless you have a dps that doesn't suck. The trash to the 3rd boss fears so you need to pull it way back.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Rule #1 of LFG/LFR : Don't expect others to interrupt, do it yourself.

I think i've never ever seen a DPS interrupt that annoying wind from the last boss of the Siege of Niuzao Temple. They just let themselves being push away by it.

Number45

I'm not sure if this is better here or the Mac thread, but as I only really care about WoW here seems more likely to get a response.

Does anyone have experience with the 5k iMac and WoW at native resolution? I can't decide whether to go to the 5k or just spec out a decent 21" (even a small update to the 21" would have made this a no-brainer) and go with that. 1080p seems like more than enough for my gaming requirements, but the 5k is tempting for photo editing. I'm just worried performance at that res even with the updated GPU might be a problem.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand this crap. Like, what's even the purpose of selling your heroic Garrosh saves?

For heroic..? No one in the guild needs shit from heroic (guilds selling this are geared out in mythic) and the loot system makes it so guildies don't lose out on gear anyway. It's win win and free income.

Jarnet87

For heroic..? No one in the guild needs shit from heroic (guilds selling this are geared out in mythic) and the loot system makes it so guildies don't lose out on gear anyway. It's win win and free income.

This. Will help pay for repair costs on inevitable wipes.

Enosh

if he is talking about what heroic now is, people are selling garrosh for heirlooms mostly, it's about 5-10k per person (prices depend on realm of course)
boost more than 1 person at a time and you can boost for as many times per day as you want since the character is only locked out from getting loot more than once, not from killing it

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah it's mostly Garrosh heirloom selling.

Speaking of which, last night two guildies who have been doing a fair amount of carry runs asked if anyone would like to do H Garry.

Another guildie immediately asks if it's a carry, of course it was. So naturally he asks if he would get a share of the carry fee. "No.". The two guildies split it, because one gets the group together, the other finds the carry-ees.

Everyone in guild: "Uhm...", and didn't go.Then our GM came on and was like "Yeah don't pull that kind of bullshit."

I'm not sure if this is better here or the Mac thread, but as I only really care about WoW here seems more likely to get a response.

Does anyone have experience with the 5k iMac and WoW at native resolution? I can't decide whether to go to the 5k or just spec out a decent 21" (even a small update to the 21" would have made this a no-brainer) and go with that. 1080p seems like more than enough for my gaming requirements, but the 5k is tempting for photo editing. I'm just worried performance at that res even with the updated GPU might be a problem.

Relevant article: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192305-analyzing-the-imac-5k-retina-display-how-do-you-squeeze-5k-out-of-a-last-gen-gpu

Basically, the thing isn't good for gaming at all. The stock GPU is functionally a $180 card at best, driving a very high resolution that even top of the line cards in SLI would struggle with for games. Even the option GPU isn't much better. I love Macs, but this is a case where the price/performance value just isn't there. You could build the most ridiculous top of the line PC with 4K monitor(s) for less or similar. And just in case you weren't aware, 5K is nearly double the resolution of 4K. It really is overkill unless you're working on 4K content.

So yeah, would not recommend.

Fjordson

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand this crap. Like, what's even the purpose of selling your heroic Garrosh saves?
90-100 heirloom weapons that Garrosh drops. Guaranteed drop on your first kill and once WoD hits Garry will no longer drop them.

Like I just recently hit 90 on my Warlock and don't feel like gearing him out for heroic with WoD so close, so I paid 5k for a carry to get him the 569 BoA staff.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was under the impression he knew they were selling it for the boa, just not why they were wasting raid locks. I think.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I gotta say I'm pretty hyped for garrisons. They may (probably will) get old eventually but I like how customizable they are and how integrated they are into the rest of Draenor. Although I do understand how people can lament that integration as garrisons being "mandatory" if they aren't particularly interested in them.

I have never been interested in run of the mill player housing, and always see it as a sort of waste of development resources that could be better used, but something like this is an interesting enough twist on the idea that I'm totally cool with it.

ampere

Gladitor's sanctum for garrison.. yes.. yes...

Thing I don't like it that it's so powerful for world pvp it's essentially mandatory on pvp realms. The quests are neat, but the perks are too good. Shield wall whenever your HP is low? Geez

So apparently in the week I've been moving and unable to play, some people in my guild have made 300k+ each from selling heroic Garrosh carries o_O

I think I'm at 150k from them. Gold is spread on different realms though (high pop only)

You just keep sharing/extending a lockout at Garrosh and bring in 15 - 20 people and then have the person with the lockout drop group. All those people can get their heirloom and we get 5k per person. The lockout doesn't get used up so we just do it over and over

Only on Mythic is it 'used up' when you kill a boss. Since the ID is specific.

vocab

I only got 150k before idiots lowered the price. Its just monotonous waiting as a group fills up. Might try to jack the price up in the last few days so its actually worth my time.

Garrisons will either be a huge success or a pain in the ass failure. Especially since they're the backbone for everything in WoD and have clearly consumed the lion's share of development resources.

Robin64

I'm optimistically leaning towards the huge success thing.

Personally, something like this is what I've always wanted in WoW.

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm excited for Garrisons. Seems like a really neat feature.

But like Carbonated said, it's going to really hurt if the execution isn't right because of how integral they are to the expansion as a whole.

Number45

Relevant article: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192305-analyzing-the-imac-5k-retina-display-how-do-you-squeeze-5k-out-of-a-last-gen-gpu

Basically, the thing isn't good for gaming at all. The stock GPU is functionally a $180 card at best, driving a very high resolution that even top of the line cards in SLI would struggle with for games. Even the option GPU isn't much better. I love Macs, but this is a case where the price/performance value just isn't there. You could build the most ridiculous top of the line PC with 4K monitor(s) for less or similar. And just in case you weren't aware, 5K is nearly double the resolution of 4K. It really is overkill unless you're working on 4K content.

So yeah, would not recommend.
Thought so, thanks. I'll be getting a Mac (the only games I play on PC are Blizzard games, and even then rarely) I was just wondering if it was worth trying to push up to the 27". I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get the 21", and cry when they update it significantly in less than a year.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The only thing I dislike about the garrison is how they are shoehorned into other zones storylines.

I actually like that. It makes sense that as you progress further into Draenor, you are going to need to expand your operations and set up new outposts to support your growing army.

I'm an expert

I wish garrisons were handled like player housing/stores in SW galaxies.. Too much phasing and instancing shit going on.

Anoregon

I wish garrisons were handled like player housing/stores in SW galaxies.. Too much phasing and instancing shit going on.

Ehhhh no thanks. It would be cool if we had control over where we could place our garrison, but instance/phasing is really the only viable way of implementing them into the game in a way that actually preserves world design. Creating huge swaths of empty space just so everybody can plop their houses down without phasing is completely archaic and lazy.

I'm an expert

But I want to buy your blasters when you're not online. =(

Shahadan

After 10 years I'm finally exalted with all of my faction races :lol:
Looking at achievements I still have a shitload of things to do.

And I guess not grinding the Nat Pagle rep will come bite me in the ass soon.

notworksafe

I've was exalted with all the factions for a bit, but now I gotta work on these Pandas. And those fuckers won't even accept Runecloth.

Bisnic

I've was exalted with all the factions for a bit, but now I gotta work on these Pandas. And those fuckers won't even accept Runecloth.

lol Runecloths for reputation. That thing still exist? I just run dungeons with a Tabard on me.

notworksafe

The Runecloth thing was a joke. :/ But there seems to be no point to maxing home faction rep anymore now that mounts are account bound. I already bought all the Panda mounts on my Monk and added them to my collection.

Bisnic

Only Stormwind and Orgrimmar seems to be worth getting to exalted on alts because it reduce the prices on flight riding skills and other npcs around. Barely anyone goes to the other capitals anyway.

mclem

Curious if Garrosh will keep dropping heirlooms *right* up until WoD hits, or if it'll actually be shut off in that final reset on Monday/Tuesday. I can see some demand for a last-minute run if not!

ampere

Curious if Garrosh will keep dropping heirlooms *right* up until WoD hits, or if it'll actually be shut off in that final reset on Monday/Tuesday. I can see some demand for a last-minute run if not!

Yes, right up until launch. Thursday the 13th at 12am pacific it will cease.

Jag

After 10 years I'm finally exalted with all of my faction races :lol:
Looking at achievements I still have a shitload of things to do.

And I guess not grinding the Nat Pagle rep will come bite me in the ass soon.

Yeah, that's the one rep that can probably help a little in WoD unless you have a way of riding over water. The nice thing is the water strider works on all alts too.

Also if anyone wants a good route for the Wings at Darkmoon. This map got me the achievement on the second try.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I'm guessing the leveling was accelerated in pandaria at some point? Re subbed after a four year hiatus and I am just blowing through panda content.

Killing everything so quickly to the point I can't even re-acclimate my rotation given mobs die in 2 hits. I'm not even done with jade forest quests (the first zone) but am already close to 90!! Haven't even ran a dungeon yet.

Just a bit too insane and kind of ruining the enjoyment of these quests given how OP I am. I want to experience the content before WOD, but the needle is way too far in my favor. Hard to really enjoy my class abilities right now, but I guess I can start doing heroics for that before reaching the second zone.

Really hope the 90-100 content push is more meaningful/balanced. will be bummed hitting 100 while still going through a 92/93 zone. :(

Entropia

No One Remembers
So I'm guessing the leveling was accelerated in pandaria at some point? Re subbed after a four year hiatus and I am just blowing through panda content.

Killing everything so quickly to the point I can't even re-acclimate my rotation given mobs die in 2 hits. I'm not even done with jade forest quests (the first zone) but am already close to 90!! Haven't even ran a dungeon yet.

Just a bit too insane and kind of ruining the enjoyment of these quests given how OP I am. I want to experience the content before WOD, but the needle is way too far in my favor. Hard to really enjoy my class abilities right now, but I guess I can start doing heroics for that before reaching the second zone.

Really hope the 90-100 content push is more meaningful/balanced. will be bummed hitting 100 while still going through a 92/93 zone. :(

Yup, I leveled 3 characters this weekend from 87/88-90. It took like 2-2.5 hours each.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Made a Night Elf priest in the free trial, feel really lost as I've never played it before (but not as lost as I could've been considering 6 months of ARR). But the game seems kinda antisocial and hard to get into, first 20 levels in.

I've only seen people talking in (I think Trade chat?) public ONCE. In two dungeon runs people just rushed forward as fast as they could disregarding where other members of the party are and basically no one said a word.

Also really confused as to what I should be looking out for to put on my character while levelling, the game doesn't bother to give pointers.

Jag

Also really confused as to what I should be looking out for to put on my character while levelling, the game doesn't bother to give pointers.

Mouse over the stats. It will tell you what each does. For leveling just gear your class major abilities. Str, Agi, Int. Don't worry about the secondary stats since gear changes so fast. Haste, Mastery and Crit are all useful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Mouse over the stats. It will tell you what each does. For leveling just gear your class major abilities. Str, Agi, Int. Don't worry about the secondary stats since gear changes so fast. Haste, Mastery and Crit are all useful.

There's no gear on some of my left side slots (head, shoulders, shirt)
Is this normal? Where'd I normally go about acquiring gear other than quests and dungeons at this point?

lazygecko

Made a Night Elf priest in the free trial, feel really lost as I've never played it before (but not as lost as I could've been considering 6 months of ARR). But the game seems kinda antisocial and hard to get into, first 20 levels in.

I've only seen people talking in (I think Trade chat?) public ONCE. In two dungeon runs people just rushed forward as fast as they could disregarding where other members of the party are and basically no one said a word.

Things didn't really used to be this way many years ago. It's a combination of convenience features like instantly being teleported to a random 5-man dungeon group from anywhere in the world that has sucked activity out of most of the game world while leveling, and there not being any real need to say a single word to eachother during dungeon runs. All of these things combined sort of transformed the game from being a virtual community to something more akin to chat roulette.

If you want a good social experience you're required to find a guild that suits your needs.

Top Bottom