• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

notworksafe

Alliance leaders just aren't characters like the Horde leaders are. Varian actually has something to him even if it's just a huge hateboner for Orcs. Everyone else is just sorta...there.

I'm not counting Jaina since she's not in charge of a capital.

Velen looks like he has some cool shit going on in WoD but I guess that's alternate universe Velen and not the dude in Exodar?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Don't see why they got rid of garrosh in the first place, dude was getting shit done and had the allies on their arses.

Because we had to get green Jesus back... for some reason. And they needed as character to turn into the big bad, and Garrosh was the easiest option because he had some semblance of a personality, even if it was a crass one.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm kind of curious to see what the lore reason will be for the Horde at large (or at least orcs, trolls, and maybe tauren) to not tell the Alliance "smell ya later" at the end of this xpac after we defeat the Iron Horde and just move to Draenor. The orcs would have their homeworld back, and the Darkspear have never really had a racial home ever since they left Stranglethorn and would certainly be welcomed to settle on Draenor. I know Tauren have their ancestal home in Mulgore, but I'm sure they would love to hang out in Nagrand and trade their kodos for clefthoofs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm kind of curious to see what the lore reason will be for the Horde at large (or at least orcs, trolls, and maybe tauren) to not tell the Alliance "smell ya later" at the end of this xpac after we defeat the Iron Horde and just move to Draenor. The orcs would have their homeworld back, and the Darkspear have never really had a racial home ever since they left Stranglethorn and would certainly be welcomed to settle on Draenor. I know Tauren have their ancestal home in Mulgore, but I'm sure they would love to hang out in Nagrand and trade their kodos for clefthoofs.

I'm sure the Bronze Dragonflight would say something about 'staying too long in the timeline' or something like that. For all we know, storyline-wise the portal will close 'forever'(but not gameplay-wise) at the end to prevent more timeline fuckups.

So what's the word on cross-realm raiding for Blackrock Foundry? Are all difficulties locked down to only your realm until Blizz sees fit?

WoD raiding is all cross-realm except for Mythic, which is locked to your realm.

So normal (flex) and heroic (normal) you can do with whoever. On OpenRaid or group finder (kek) if you want.

By the way, Blackrock Foundry is the second raid that will open about 8 weeks after Highmaul, which opens about 2.5 weeks after the expac drops. Only Blackrock Foundry has tier gear though. But the raids will be spaced out if you weren't aware.

WoD raiding is all cross-realm except for Mythic, which is locked to your realm.

So normal (flex) and heroic (normal) you can do with whoever. On OpenRaid or group finder (kek) if you want.

By the way, Blackrock Foundry is the second raid that will open about 8 weeks after Highmaul, which opens about 2.5 weeks after the expac drops. Only Blackrock Foundry has tier gear though. But the raids will be spaced out if you weren't aware.

Oh, for some reason I thought Blackrock Foundry was the first one to be coming out. I think I saw it in the dungeon journal and assumed it was the first one to be released.

Good to hear the cross-realm raiding though, as I will be trialing for guilds in the upcoming weeks and it's good to hear that I won't have to necessarily transfer to another server right away.

Alliance leaders just aren't characters like the Horde leaders are. Varian actually has something to him even if it's just a huge hateboner for Orcs. Everyone else is just sorta...there.

I'm not counting Jaina since she's not in charge of a capital.

Velen looks like he has some cool shit going on in WoD but I guess that's alternate universe Velen and not the dude in Exodar?

Mekkatorque got his chance to shine in Operation: Gnomeregan but other than that he's criminally underused.

Moira is a badass and her story is extremely well done, spanning all of Vanilla to now. Easiliy my favorite Alliance leader.

Jaina sucks. Her personality has been written in service to her relationships with the men in her life and now she's just a vindictive schemer, a flesh and blood version of Sylvanas and that's just boring. I had hopes after Wrath but those got thrown in the garbage, nice work Metzen.

Varian seems to only exist to menace the horde in cutscenes. I want to like him but...meh. He's no Bolvar.

Do the night elves even have a leader these days? Whatisface died in Firelands. Malfurion was a non-presence throughout Mists and all Tyrande did was knock down a gate. Whoop.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They've been setting her up to become a villain since pretty much WotLK. I call bullshit on her having nothing to do with Wrathgate or Varimathras.

She's been pretty quiet in MoP. Same with WoD as far as I can tell. Seems like ever since her little invasion of Gilneas in Cata, we've heard nothing of her. Her part in Siege of Orgrimmar was almost nothing.

Do we have an ETA on when they're fixing the ring sharing bug for the wings toy? Shit is impossible atm.

It shoulds been Lor'themar Theron, not some hippie weed smoking troll

Lor'themar and Voljin would make a great leader duo. Lor'themar is probably a shit load smarter and probably better at tactics than Vol'jin as well, but voljin is badass.

Lor'themar feels much more qualified, but he probably doesn't care about the horde even 1/2 as much as voljin does, so I don't disagree with the choice.

They're the only horde leaders that get shit done, Sylvanus is psychotic and genocidal, Goblin guy just wants $$$$$, Baine is too passive.

ZenaxPure

They've been setting her up to become a villain since pretty much WotLK. I call bullshit on her having nothing to do with Wrathgate or Varimathras.

It's been a while but iirc it was pretty much stated in one of the novels/short stories (the Arthas one maybe?) that she turned a blind eye to all that stuff knowing what could happen. But yeah, they've been setting her for a long time, plz be excited for Wrath of the Lich Queen.

Valnen

She's been pretty quiet in MoP. Same with WoD as far as I can tell. Seems like ever since her little invasion of Gilneas in Cata, we've heard nothing of her. Her part in Siege of Orgrimmar was almost nothing.

I forgot about her invasion of Gilneas. That was supremely fucked up. Yeah she needs to die.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lor'themar and Voljin would make a great leader duo. Lor'themar is probably a shit load smarter and probably better at tactics than Vol'jin as well, but voljin is badass.
Vol'jin is supposed to be the Horde's number one tactician. You just have to read the shitty books to know about it because god forbid Blizz show it off in the game

StayDead

I forgot about her invasion of Gilneas. That was supremely fucked up. Yeah she needs to die.

No no no no no. Greymane should be killed for walling himself off in the first place. He shut off the world and completely ignored the fact that the scourge invasion had been stopped pretty much right after he walled off his people. Then werewolves.

If anything Sylvannas is the best character in the game <3

Also, we need to get a reunion of the Windrunner sisters. Bring back Alleria Windrunner! :mad:

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather lore be included in the game that the lore is based on rather than reading a book by the wonderful world of hacks Blizzard employs to write their novels.

I've read Goosebumps books in my youth that are better written than War Crimes.

I'd rather lore be included in the game that the lore is based on rather than reading a book by the wonderful world of hacks Blizzard employs to write their novels.

This. Blizzard killing Rhonin offscreen in a goddamn novel is not how you get me to go along with the drastic changes made to Jaina in Mists.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Been watching some youtube lore videos and it is shocking how much crazy shit has been going on in this game over the last decade...that is barely described or explained in WoW.

So much lore taken from novels and comics that directly feeds into the dungeons/raids that little questboxes don't do justice. Really glad I have been watching as the opening cinematic for Draenor now makes some goddamn sense(as I really don't recall the events of WC1/2 very well, other than surface-level dark portal spilling in orcs).

Crazy what a ret-con this expansion could end up being. I mean without the orcs becoming blood-drunk sociopaths used as a tool by the demons, would everything surrounding Arthas, Kel-Thuzad, the lich king, the draenai, etc... even happen?

Interfectum

yeah, god forbid if we humans did some reading from time to time

Pivotal plot points for a game should be included in the game, not extra shit you have to buy. The books aren't good anyway so I basically get more of my "wow lore" from wowwiki now instead of the actual game. :/

Salamando

Warlords comes out next week, so of course my computer decides to break today. Seems to be graphics card. If I'm lucky, cleaning the dust out will fix it. If I'm really lucky, it won't and gives me an excuse to upgrade. If I'm unlucky, upgrading won't fix it either....

Interfectum

Been watching some youtube lore videos and it is shocking how much crazy shit has been going on in this game over the last decade...that is barely described or explained in WoW.

So much lore taken from novels and comics that directly feeds into the dungeons/raids that little questboxes don't do justice. Really glad I have been watching as the opening cinematic for Draenor now makes some goddamn sense(as I really don't recall the events of WC1/2 very well, other than surface-level dark portal spilling in orcs).

Crazy what a ret-con this expansion could end up being. I mean without the orcs becoming blood-drunk sociopaths used as a tool by the demons, would everything surrounding Arthas, Kel-Thuzad, the lich king, the draenai, etc... even happen?

Its not going to ret-con. They are going multiverse in WoD. So Azeroth as we know it will stay the same. What's going to be confusing is when they reference certain characters in lore because now there will be duplicates of some unless they are all killed in this expansion or left in their own universe.

lazygecko

Some selected quotes from early on in the first iteration of the WOWGAF thread:

Tonight I reached duskwood to follow up on a quest from killing some guy in the Stormwind stockades when "Stitch" attacked the city. On the outskirts I was calling for help and healing the guards and the players but he broke through the first line of defenders easily. A band of mages, level 40 warriors and paladins made a stand and we were finally able to take him down but he had killed a considerable number of PCs and it was AWESOME! If this is happening just out in the world, I can't wait to see what happens in the Battlegrounds or some of the other areas in the game.

Stitch was a kind of unique zone event that triggered once someone got to the final part of a quest chain with the old hermit near the Duskwood cemetery. If only more zones had stuff like that...

http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?wquest=2783

This is the LONGEST QUEST EVER. Seriously.. it's insane.

I remember this quest line. Started with a ghost orc near the entrance to the Blasted Lands, and it sent you all over the place like the archipelago in Azshara, where some demon hunter resided.

Also, on raiding. It is harder, but not because the mosters hit for more damage or have bigger moves, but because of the size of it. A 5 man dungeon or boss could be just as hard as some raid content but getting 5 people who can play it right, learn the strategy, and not fuck up is ALOT easier then getting together 40 people who can play it right, learn the stratgey, and not fuck up. When you have 40 people, the chances of someone being the dick and causing the wipe is far greater. That is where the difficulty is, and you are rewarded with the uberist loot for being able to organize and pull that off.

The other thing is, is that the "UBER" loot really isnt that uber. Its purple and it might look really cool. The prestige of having it is what makes it uber. I tell you though, most of that raid and MC,Onyxia stuff isnt that great, and the set bonuses mostly suck. People see a purple con item with a cool name and go "OMFG" its uber, but really you could probably, or almost certainly peice together a set of armor with some random drops/crafted items, and enchantings and still be almost or just as good as the guy decked out in MC gear. Sure, he might look cooler, but that means nothing when it comes down to it. Blizzard did this purposly I think. They didnt leave out the casual gamer. If you never raid MC or Onyxia it wont really matter, your not gimped.

Itemization really was pretty shitty back in the day (Although I liked that stuff like trinket and weapon proc effects were more imaginative). It was rare ever seeing anyone call it out though.

Poster Screaming_Gremlin takes down Rexxar with a raid back when he was wandering Desolace

I wonder if Blizzard are ever going to use Rexxar for anyting again. He's just been hanging around in Outland since TBC.
I also wonder if Screaming_Gremlin still checks this thread. Maybe poke him for some comments and reflections?

posted by Tigole:

We had the final Blackwing Lair playtest on Monday at which time the dungeon was "locked out" and sent through the QA process so it can be delivered to you guys. So I wanted to give an early head's up that Blackwing is on the horizon and should be in-game in the near future. Keep in mind, there are other things that can hold up a patch. I would expect Blackwing to be delivered to you guys around the end of June or early July. That's my rough estimate at least.

As for Zul'Gurub, the zone is making great progress. We've recently re-lit the zone and replaced many of the buildings in there. I've seen people release screenshorts of the zone that they've obtained by cheating their way in (this will get you banned btw!) but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised to see the actual zone when it is live. The item and quest guys have some real challenges with this zone. Their goal is to keep all of the items and quests for the top end dungeons relavent while still making Zul'Gurub items desirable. Yet at the same time, the ZG quests and items cannot outshine the Molten Core and above loot.

Some of the boss fights are really cool, as well. We had a ton of fun designing them and we're really looking forward to getting them out there for you guys.

The dungeon and raid team has also been working on some "top secret" stuff that you'll probably hear about soon.

But in the meantime, Blackwing Lair and Zul'Gurub are not that far off!

You can see that Blizzard had a design mindset about raid progression back then that wasn't centered around just herding players into the latest raid tier and make earlier ones "legacy".

Oh yeah, and lots of bitching about the decay system for PvP ranks when that was implemented. Makes you wonder how Blizzard ever thought that was a good idea.

Maybe I'll dig around later for some interesting posts around the time TBC released, or perhaps one of the later content patches from vanilla.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Its not going to ret-con. They are going multiverse in WoD. So Azeroth as we know it will stay the same. What's going to be confusing is when they start referring to characters in lore because now there will be duplicates of some unless they are all killed in this expansion or left in their own universe.

Yea, didn't expect them to do anything to the old world, but this is really weird. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds(likely with the playerbase running UBRS over and over for drops...as we all did in 2005).

TheContact

Anyone in the beta going to the end of beta event? Haven't ever logged into one of these since UO where they spawned a bunch of demons to kill everything, hope Blizz does something like that lol

mileS

Seems like tons of streamers/hardcore pvp dudes are transferring Alliance? Most are saying because the racial traits are THAT much better. Hmmmm I'm looking now, Overall they look better but I don't quite understand why such a big deal is being made over it. Any opinions here?

Interfectum

Yea, didn't expect them to do anything to the old world, but this is really weird. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds(likely with the playerbase running UBRS over and over for drops...as we all did in 2005).

I hope they don't leave the door open for us to go into an alternate Azeroth. That would be an absolute lore breaking disaster.

JSoup

Banned
I mean without the orcs becoming blood-drunk sociopaths used as a tool by the demons, would everything surrounding Arthas, Kel-Thuzad, the lich king, the draenai, etc... even happen?

Not the Draenai, probably, but the rest, yeah, that would have still happened. Maybe differently, but it all would have still happened.

vocab

Seems like tons of streamers/hardcore pvp dudes are transferring Alliance? Most are saying because the racial traits are THAT much better. Hmmmm I'm looking now, Overall they look better but I don't quite understand why such a big deal is being made over it. Any opinions here?

Until method and blood legion do it, no one will really care.

I'm personally glad the days of trolls are over. Now it's blood elf central, but that's cool.

I will say gift of the naaru is broken.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Days of Trolls will still be here for the first week.

Exp bonus and crazy world firsts people.

We'll see. I haven't heard of much, but I do know that dwarves are a lot stronger with their new stoneform. The funny thing is Blizzard was trying to make it so racial choice is up to you and not because of overpowered racials.... yet humans got buffed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Funny this topic should come up. I did Gnomeregan again today after maybe 7-8 years, and we still haven't liberated it from the troggs yet.

Troggs too stronk.

Vol'jin is supposed to be the Horde's number one tactician. You just have to read the shitty books to know about it because god forbid Blizz show it off in the game

Well that's good to know wish it was shown better ingame, honestly between him and lor'themar, the horde is in good hands as long as sylvanus stays quiet.

Funny this topic should come up. I did Gnomeregan again today after maybe 7-8 years, and we still haven't liberated it from the troggs yet.

Troggs too stronk.

It took the trolls like a decade to liberate 3 shitty 4 square foot islands from level 2 mobs.

Don't feel bad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did they really not add matching boots for the heroic t8 warrior set? Even though the 10/25 normal ones have them?

StayDead

Well that's good to know wish it was shown better ingame, honestly between him and lor'themar, the horde is in good hands as long as sylvanus stays quiet.

It took the trolls like a decade to liberate 3 shitty 4 square foot islands from level 2 mobs.

Don't feel bad.

Zanzalane was just hiding his true power.

Arcayne

how are shadow priests shaping in wod? i keep reading their dps are consistently last place and that they're boring to play in MoP, but I'd like to reboot my old main from vanilla for WoD. That rank 10 champion title is going to waste!

inthrall

how are shadow priests shaping in wod? i keep reading their dps are consistently last place and that they're boring to play in MoP, but I'd like to reboot my old main from vanilla for WoD. That rank 10 champion title is going to waste!

Its easy to only see the complainers, its not that bad. Our guilds spriest has dropped from top of the meters to just below middle of the pack.

Boogdud

Giant lag, Orgrimmar attacked by dozens of Huolon's, lag so bad you can barely move, land a couple blows, disconnected to char screen. The end of beta event in a nutshell so far.

TheContact

I got home right at 5 after picking my daughter up from day care and now I'm stuck at the loading screen lol, I knew a ton of people would be logging in right now

Edit : I got in but nothings happening. Apparently the servers went down and horde won bc it crashed?

Fun times
Wo_WScrn_Shot_110314_171218.jpg

Magnus

We really couldn't come up with a better OT subtitle? GAF is legendary for these and the last two WoW OT ones have been so mundane.

Boogdud

Edit : I got in but nothings happening. Apparently the servers went down and horde won bc it crashed?

Fun times

Horde has dc'd twice now... first it was huolon's now iron stars blew up and dc'd everyone. Yeah, this is about as fun as launch day login queues.

TheContact

Horde has dc'd twice now... first it was huolon's now iron stars blew up and dc'd everyone. Yeah, this is about as fun as launch day login queues.

Doesn't horde have stuff going on right now tho? Like bosses in Org? SW is just a clusterfuck of nothing happening

Top Bottom