• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

I hate how long the WoD starting area takes. It was cool the first time, but going through it on 2 more alts makes me wish we could skip it so I can get my garrison faster.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Daily repeated wish: GARRISON FOR MOBILES! PLEASE!

Robin64

Should have pet battles for mobile too. Levelling that shit ingame is so boring, but I'd totally do it on my phone in the office.

lazygecko

I hate how long the WoD starting area takes. It was cool the first time, but going through it on 2 more alts makes me wish we could skip it so I can get my garrison faster.

That's the double-edged sword of Blizzard's modern way of designing quests with tons of cutscenes or otherwise scripted encounters, which dictates the pace at which you can go through quests to a much greater degree than before. They may be a fun novelty to go through the first time, but doing them repeatedly just becomes excrutiating when you realize you can't just rush through them.

There's no fucking way in hell I am ever doing the goblin or worgen 1-12 process again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So I got a new mount:

a3GCp5d.jpg

And I only camped it for like 3 hours =V

TheContact

I hit 610 ilvl yesterday and ran a couple heroics, they don't seem too much harder than regular dungeons but that's probably because people are geared better. Can't wait to do molten core today after work, didn't have time to queue last night. And getting 9k garrison resources is going to take forever =x

StayDead

I upgraded my Dwarven Bunker to level 2 on my druid but I'm not so sure I'll be doing any work orders or anything with it due to not really liking most of the transmog gear.

In a way I kinda wish I'd just have gone for the mage tower (I have that on my mage though), but then I think about how annoying those waystones are to farm) and I'm going for the stables on my rogue I think.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Bunker is way better than the Tower because you can get the items to raise your Followers ilvls from it. After you get them to 645 you get quests that give you Highmaul Gear of a tier higher than you are raiding (rarely, of course).

Lanrutcon

The Bunker is way better than the Tower because you can get the items to raise your Followers ilvls from it. After you get them to 645 you get quests that give you Highmaul Gear of a tier higher than you are raiding (rarely, of course).

Seriously? Wow. I've almost gotten 20 followers to 100, and I'm trying to get everyone to 615 but lord it's hit and miss (salvage!). Are you telling me I can get missions for 650 player gear later?

Angry Grimace

Seriously? Wow. I've almost gotten 20 followers to 100, and I'm trying to get everyone to 615 but lord it's hit and miss (salvage!). Are you telling me I can get missions for 650 player gear later?

Its 655-690 depending on what raiding you do.

Your followers have to hit 645 though, three of them. You get more of the item enhancements through workorders from Level 2 Bunker/whatever the Horde equivalent is.

Lanrutcon

Its 655-690 depending on what raiding you do.

Your followers have to hit 645 though, three of them. You get more of the item enhancements through workorders from Level 2 Bunker/whatever the Horde equivalent is.

So I have to complete certain raids to have the gear show up? (in addition to the follower ilevel requirements)

FeD.nL

Quick question, I decided to renew my sub to level up my DK to 90 from 85 to see if I would like it enough to buy WoD but i'm just struggling to get myself through the content. Is leveling better in WoD, I just feel very disengaged from everything thats happening around me.

I loved leveling in WotLK that was my favorite exp, will I like WoD or is it more like MoP? Thanks in advance!

TheYanger

So I have to complete certain raids to have the gear show up? (in addition to the follower ilevel requirements)

Negative, the gear you get continues to improve as you raid because they want it to always remain relevant. At the start you'll get 645 stuff though (Marginally better than LFR gear, since they assume anyone can do lfr basically).
Quick question, I decided to renew my sub to level up my DK to 90 from 85 to see if I would like it enough to buy WoD but i'm just struggling to get myself through the content. Is leveling better in WoD, I just feel very disengaged from everything thats happening around me.

I loved leveling in WotLK that was my favorite exp, will I like WoD or is it more like MoP? Thanks in advance!

Well..what don't you like about it? Mechanically it's a lot like MoP, people hate mop for mostly thematic (illogical but emotional) reasons like art or setting typically, systematically wod isn't that different. Thematically however it's ENTIRELY different. I could say it evokes a Wrath-like oppressive force type feeling at most turns? Don't get me wrong, I hated levelling in mop too, but mostly because the quests were meh. Not sure what else there is to say than that.

Robin64

Negative, the gear you get continues to improve as you raid because they want it to always remain relevant. At the start you'll get 645 stuff though (Marginally better than LFR gear, since they assume anyone can do lfr basically).

I hope MC is not an indicator of how wrong that is.

Lanrutcon

I hope MC is not an indicator of how wrong that is.

MC is from a different era, man. Say what you will about the current raid scene, but shit like BWL and AQ40 would break modern day raiders if they had to do it with patch appropriate characters and gear.

Robin64

MC is from a different era, man. Say what you will about the current raid scene, but shit like BWL and AQ40 would break modern day raiders if they had to do it with patch appropriate characters and gear.

Oh yeah, of course, I just thought the current LFR implementation of it would be a bit kinder on idiots.

the first boss in BWL is still impossible to solo

>.<

Nah man.

http://wowpros.net/world-of-warcraft-boss-fights/world-of-warcraft-blackwing-lair-how-to-solo-kill-first-boss-razorgore-the-untamed-mop-5-4-8

StayDead

I'd reallly love to do that. I guess there's always private servers to do it but I've never trusted any of them.

Lanrutcon

the first boss in BWL is still impossible to solo

>.<

No it's not.

Did it on a 90 Lock a few days before WoD hit. Trick is to start killing eggs at the far side of the room from the orb, and run back to your character with the General to shed some aggro. The mobs chasing you will aggro on the orb user if they get close enough. Park the general in a corner every time the channel is about to break, kill the adds around you, use the orb again. Rinse and repeat.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wait a minute, are we trying to say AQ40 and BWL are harder than modern content? Or are you calling LFRers 'modern raiders'? Because AQ40 and BWL are basically jokes compared to every raid in every expansion after them. It's all gear. All vanilla content is. A modern player in 'appropriate gear' would destroy AQ40 and be done with it within a day.

TheYanger

You mean modern LFR raiders I hope. Because to any organized group those places are complete jokes compared to what we have now.

FeD.nL

Well..what don't you like about it? Mechanically it's a lot like MoP, people hate mop for mostly thematic (illogical but emotional) reasons like art or setting typically, systematically wod isn't that different. Thematically however it's ENTIRELY different. I could say it evokes a Wrath-like oppressive force type feeling at most turns? Don't get me wrong, I hated levelling in mop too, but mostly because the quests were meh. Not sure what else there is to say than that.

Oh great that was what I was looking forward to hear. The quests in MoP just did not suck me in like they did in Wrath and to a lesser extent Cata. But WoD upgrade bought, thank you for the info!

TheYanger

Oh great that was what I was looking forward to hear. The quests in MoP just did not suck me in like they did in Wrath and to a lesser extent Cata. But WoD upgrade bought, thank you for the info!

The opening questing experience lasts about half of the first level (can do it in under an hour) and should give you a good idea, everyone I know loved it so hopefully you will :) I would hate to steer someone wrong in that regard, but I think it's a safe bet to say it's the best questing experience yet. Hope you like killing badass evil orcs.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've been soloing BWL for years.. Razor is just as easy as he was 10 years ago lol.

662 iLvL in Ashran now, playing with the early morning crowd (sub 600 probably). I've never felt so OP. I beat a warlock and a hunter 2v1, healed, then killed a warrior that came leaping in. I've been farming mobs in the Arena of Annihilation, turning in 100 fragments for 200 honor for the quest for the whistle. All I have left to upgrade are my gauntlets and necklace. Oh, and the bonus quest for killing mobs there grants 625 honor.

I tried this and only got 100 honor, wonder what I was doing wrong.

Lanrutcon

Wait a minute, are we trying to say AQ40 and BWL are harder than modern content? Or are you calling LFRers 'modern raiders'? Because AQ40 and BWL are basically jokes compared to every raid in every expansion after them. It's all gear. All vanilla content is. A modern player in 'appropriate gear' would destroy AQ40 and be done with it within a day.

I'd actually love to see that. Modern raiders having to get used to the classes as they were before any major class streamlining or balancing, before 99% of their favourite add-ons existed with a raid interface that sucks ass, raid leaders trying to get 40 assholes who are used to 10 years of improvements to sit still for hours on end.

The game has changed a bit over the years, is what I'm saying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every hardcore raider who's still raiding now that raided back in vanilla says, and myself included, that the content now is actual content with mechanics. Watching videos and reading strats on how to best play your class for a particular fights, exchanging talents and gear to adapt to that situation. 40 man raiding had people raiding in pirate hats, greens, afking(it's still the biggest case for it), and people who had no idea what raiding was. All vanilla content was was getting gear and telling people what to do before the pull. You were told what to do and you executed it. It was as cut and dry as you can get.

I very much doubt any paladin would like t o do BWL where their 'rotation' is reapplying blessings the entire time. The dumbest WoW player now is smarter than the average vanilla player just because of the resources and tools available to them. The fact that a large group of people were able to complete content while still lacking a lot of incredibly vital information on their class speaks to the ease and complete lack of mechanics of vanilla content.

TheYanger

I'd actually love to see that. Modern raiders having to get used to the classes as they were before any major class streamlining or balancing, before 99% of their favourite add-ons existed with a raid interface that sucks ass, raid leaders trying to get 40 assholes who are used to 10 years of improvements to sit still for hours on end.

Yeah but MOST of it has changed in ways that only made the game deeper. I was there in those days, I did MC before CTRA existed, the first raid frame mod was simply called RaidBar and it was basic as dirt. That said...you don't NEED any mods for that stuff. The bosses have like 2 mechanics apiece and one of them is a dispel spam (On every single boss). We had 1 decurse per group, and just called 'decurse' every time the curses cast. Mages/druids would handle their 5 for 5 GCDs and resume whatever else.

Vael? Do DPS rotation, run out with burning adrenaline. That was it. It was hard because people were bad, not because it was challenging.

Playing most of the classes as dps consisted of spamming your best spell. Playing a rogue was MARGINALLY more complex - the first class in the game with an actual rotation!!!
BSx3 SND BSx5 SND, BSx5 Eviscerate. Such mechanics. Much complex. This was ye olde 3-5-5 rotation.

Don't get me wrong, I would do it and it'd be neat, but the simple truth is if my guild had to suddenly go back to all blues and do BWL (IE: undergeared) we absolutely could and would with no trouble at all. I wouldnt' be shocked if we one shot all of the bosses (Ony cloaks aside, obviously).

Dawg

Is it possible to solo the Shadowmourne legendary questline?

I'm guessing not because of the vampire and putricide bit?

Lanrutcon

Every hardcore raider who's still raiding now that raided back in vanilla says, and myself included, that the content now is actual content with mechanics. Watching videos and reading strats on how to best play your class for a particular fights, exchanging talents and gear to adapt to that situation. 40 man raiding had people raiding in pirate hats, greens, afking(it's still the biggest case for it), and people who had no idea what raiding was. All vanilla content was was getting gear and telling people what to do before the pull. You were told what to do and you executed it. It was as cut and dry as you can get.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I'm not sure you were part of a progression guild if you had AFKers or people in pirate hats qualify for raid slots, obviously.

Jarnet87

Got my 2nd character to 100, gonna be a long time before I get a 3rd there. While it doesn't take long to level it does get repetitive doing the same exact quests. The Garrisons stuff just gets a bit in the way when trying to rush multiple characters to 100. I don't blame them for not adding different zones because it is a very linear and effective leveling experience, but it would of been nice to mix it up. I think the slowest part of the 10 levels is frostfire/shadowmoon. Also after having done both starting zones Shadowmoon Valley is far superior.

Tacitus_

They've also introduced a cooldown on dispels and removed decursive. Bunch of LFR MCs difficulty comes from them retaining the old mechanics. Perma -75% healing taken on your raid does wonders when people try to guess where the Rain of Fire ends and where it starts :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They'll probably nerf LFG MC soon. I haven't checked the forums, but I imagine there's a lot of complaining(surprise surprise) about something on a limited time.

Lanrutcon

If you're saying you had 40 active players during Naxx, you're probably lying.

I actually can't remember much about base Naxx. I wonder why that is.

They've also introduced a cooldown on dispels and removed decursive. Bunch of LFR MCs difficulty comes from them retaining the old mechanics. Perma -75% healing taken on your raid does wonders when people try to guess where the Rain of Fire ends and where it starts :D

The lava spawns. Oh god the lava spawns >> everything. People's instincts told them to AOE.

The pirate hat actually was very strong :) Well, admirals hat. Had to be nerfed. We all wore them.

Ha! I stand corrected on proper gearing then :)

Ultratech

It's so quick.... done it on...like 8 characters already....

I did it on my DK the other night and got my Garrison up (from the initial Tanaan Jungle intro) in less than an hour.
Just breezed through everything.

Is it possible to solo the Shadowmourne legendary questline?

I'm guessing not because of the vampire and putricide bit?

Unholy Infusion, you can prolly solo with a geared DK (pop Army, suck all the goo before they all die/despawn) and finish the fight.
(Otherwise, bring friends!)

Blood Infusion...yeah, you'll need friends.

Top Bottom