• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try to get your Garrison to level 2 at least.

Things you'll want at Garrison 2

1) A reliable stream of Garrison Resources. This is super important. The earlier you get this up and going, the better. Either Trading Post or Lumber Mill. Using your Trading Post costs more in gold, but produces more GR than Lumber Mill (30 to 20).

2) A Salvage yard as one of your small buildings so you can start stockpiling follower upgrades for when they reach 100. Level 2 is needed for follower upgrades so try to rush that.

3) War Mill is a better large building than Barracks when you're leveling. The random upgrades can be really clutch when you're nearing level cap, but it is RNG dependent. Barracks does fuck all, tbh, since your primary cap is GR, not availability of missions. The difference in EXP gain from a patrol mission, which are infrequent, is not good enough to justify it over War Mill. However, it is a decent choice for a second large building. Unfortunately, you're forced to build the barracks first, and you can only get a second large plot at Garrison level 3... So you'll either have to build a War Mill on top of it or rush to Garrison 3, which isn't too difficult if you go treasure/rare hunting.

4) Avoid spending GR on mines unless you really need the ore. The market is oversaturated with ore and it's more efficient to just buy it than farm it yourself. You could upgrade the Herb Garden though, herbs still bring decent money as far as I can tell.

5) Try to level followers as much as possible while you have Salvage 2 yard up. Don't be afraid to have followers go on missions with a <100% success rate. They'll still gain EXP on a failure as long as their level matches the mission level. But don't overdo it either, try to be efficient whenever possible. You want to create a versatile stable of followers, with at least 2 dudes who can handle each mission threat:

Danger Zones
Deadly Minions
Group Damage
Magic Debuff
Massive Strike
Minion Swarms
Powerful Spell
Timed Battle
Wild Aggression

There are also epic followers you can get through cheevos like Croman, Leeroy, and Millhouse who have set base abilities. You might want to factor those into who you choose to level and who you deactivate once you reach your cap (20 followers, 25 followers with Barracks 3 which comes much later).

Some traits (the ones below the abilities) are also really good to have on followers. They are:

Scavenger
Extra Training
Epic Mount

If you're having trouble choosing between one follower and other with identical abilities, prioritize followers with those traits.

Level Epic followers before Rare ones, before Uncommon ones, since it takes a long time to upgrade Rarity (and the number of abilities/traits they have) at 100. Once followers reach Epic level, they don't gain any more exp so exp missions are more or less useless for them. However, grinding missions still generates a lot of salvage and cycles through your list of missions, so it's a good idea to send them on redundant missions sometimes just to get those missions out of the queue.

A good way to "power level" low level followers is to have high level followers go with them on certain missions. For example, you have a 3 follower level 93 mission with Group Damage as the only enemy ability. You have 2 level 93 guys, and 1 level 99 guy with Chain Heal. So you should put the level 99 guy and both level 93 guys, which should bring the mission success up to 100%. This works especially well if your high level guys have the Extra Training trait, and sometimes you'll want to do this even with a <100% success rate.

One last thing. A follower that's 1-2 levels below the mission level (their level on the mission screen will be colored with orange), will only get 50% of all exp. More than 2 levels below the mission level (their level will be colored red) will get 10% of the exp and not contribute their ability whatsoever. Avoid red assignments entirely. Some orange assignments if you're strapped for appropriately leveled missions are okay, but don't make it the norm.

EDIT: Fixed some details.

Apt101

Regarding Everbloom heroic, great advice. I just finished it. The boss was a cake walk focusing on him and not anything else. Thanks again GAF.

StayDead

hWATwMd.jpg

Both today :D

Also got the Pterodactyl pet, Haunted War Drum, Voodoo pet and the Chalice of the Mountain Kings. First day Archeology. I've been real lucky for a change.

Ultratech

One last thing. A follower that's 1-2 levels below the mission level (their level on the mission screen will be colored with orange), will only get 50% of all exp. More than 2 levels below the mission level (their level will be colored red) will get 0% of the exp and not contribute their ability whatsoever. Avoid red assignments entirely. Some orange assignments if you're strapped for appropriately leveled missions are okay, but don't make it the norm.

They changed that part to where they receive 10% of the exp granted for the mission.

Got hotfixed last week.

Trickster

Finally do MC lfr, have loot spec set to protection. Get a helmet with crit and haste, two of the worst stats for my paladin, both in tanking and dps roles....

Man I'm loving combat rogue. I intended to be sub when I boosted my rogue but I just simply have more fun as combat. Assassination is good too, the dots are good but it just doesn't have any fun cooldowns like the other specs and the AoE rotation is tedious. Combat is just turn on blade flurry and start doing 30k dps like it's nothing. Still less than the tanks though.

It feels really nice to be a pure dps class when you enjoy all the specs. No matter which one pulls ahead or which one lags behind, I'll be a happy camper.

Brofist

Man I'm loving combat rogue. I intended to be sub when I boosted my rogue but I just simply have more fun as combat. Assassination is good too, the dots are good but it just doesn't have any fun cooldowns like the other specs and the AoE rotation is tedious. Combat is just turn on blade flurry and start doing 30k dps like it's nothing. Still less than the tanks though.

It feels really nice to be a pure dps class when you enjoy all the specs. No matter which one pulls ahead or which one lags behind, I'll be a happy camper.

I have been running the Sub-PVP Assas-PVE combo for ages, I may have to give Combat a try, since my swords are actually better than my daggers.

I have been running the Sub-PVP Assas-PVE combo for ages, I may have to give Combat a try, since my swords are actually better than my daggers.
I didn't expect to like it, because I leveled as sub and never thought I could live without premed and dance, but combat is just so straightforward and fun, at least in heroics and BGs.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I would be screwed if it weren't for Wowhead. I can't tell you how many game mechanics the game has just assumed I know about (making them essential to finishing missions) that Wowhead explained to me. Definitely tell any new player to keep that website open as they play.

Anyways, do Paladins suck right now or is there a preferred spec for them? I know gladiator warriors are hot right now (likely to get nerfed) but I wanted to do a more a tank/healing style that could also solo some things on the side if I can't find a decent group. Paladin seemed like a decent fit.

Rizzi

That's four heroics in a row now I've gotten nothing, and gotten loot I already had from the last boss.
I am so fucking done.

Brofist

So I would be screwed if it weren't for Wowhead. I can't tell you how many game mechanics the game has just assumed I know about (making them essential to finishing missions) that Wowhead explained to me. Definitely tell any new player to keep that website open as they play.

Anyways, do Paladins suck right now or is there a preferred spec for them? I know gladiator warriors are hot right now (likely to get nerfed) but I wanted to do a more a tank/healing style that could also solo some things on the side if I can't find a decent group. Paladin seemed like a decent fit.

I was under the impression that Rets are pretty strong ATM, but I haven't leveled mine much yet in WoD.

I know I'm a bit late for the (enhancement) shaman discussion but since it's still the only character I play I thought I'd chime in to say that I'm happy Blizzard recognizes we need buffed up a bit.

I felt damage was fairly weak but that's improved a fair bit with gear so I'm not minding that as much but I'm starting to feel like a glass cannon despite being a mail wearer. I just feel like my survivability went way down somehow and I've died plenty more now than I usually did playing in the past. I have done a few tough fights and was able to use every ability to stay alive (Tul'Turak or some nonsense in Nagrand and Deidemos or something in Socrates area for the Apexis dailies. Butchered all those names!).

I certainly felt more powerful while playing through MoP in both damage and ability to stay alive.

Maybe this will change more as I keep gearing up but I'm around 615 now and still find myself getting really low when fighting multiple world mobs together.

Part of the problem is that I always used X-Perl which had the edges of the screen flash red when low on health and I moved to ShadowUF I believe it's called and that doesn't have the option. Multiple times I've died because I'm trained to notice my health drop when the screen flashes and without it I've died completely unaware my health had gotten that low. Oops! I should find another add-on to fix this problem.

Trickster

Anyone that have leveled a mage as frost? I'm at 95 now and it just feels like such a bore and uphill battle. Fighting 2-3 mobs is so ridiculously difficult compared to doing it with a melee character. And doing next to no dmg unless I get procs just makes me feel like my mage is a complete weakling a lot of the time

And let's not even talk about if I have to fight a big mob that I can't cc. If I don't have mirror images to divert attention long enough for me to hopefully get enough procs to kill the mob, then I'm basically dead.

Tamanon

Banned
Anyone that have leveled a mage as frost? I'm at 95 now and it just feels like such a bore and uphill battle. Fighting 2-3 mobs is so ridiculously difficult compared to doing it with a melee character. And doing next to no dmg unless I get procs just makes me feel like my mage is a complete weakling a lot of the time

And let's not even talk about if I have to fight a big mob that I can't cc. If I don't have mirror images to divert attention long enough for me to hopefully get enough procs to kill the mob, then I'm basically dead.

I'm at 95 myself and it's not too bad. Ice Nova is a beast, especially since it also seems to interrupt mobs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really wish Blizzard would entertain the 'legacy gear' idea that SWTOR does. Garrosh heirlooms were a similar idea, but I'd want more. It's one of the few things I really liked about SWTOR was how easily they made it to bring an alt in if you needed it instead of having to rerun flex then rerun normal then rerun normlas THEN you could have a backup for the raid when it was needed.

Trickster

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/silvermoon/Galistra/simple

Looks like Armory hasn't updated since I leveled. Groups I just bust out Frozen Orb, Ice Nova and go to town with ice lances.

Remember your Water Elemental can force ice lance procs with Freeze, even on one mob. But yeah, going on a proc-less streak can suuuuuuck.

thanks for the link, doesn't seem to be any major difference other than a few different talents :/

I know about pet freeze, and use it all the time, but it just doesn't help much when a procced ice lance takes maybe 20-30% off a normal mobs hp and I then proceed to stand and use frost bolt 6-7 times in a row with no additional proc :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I really wish Blizzard would entertain the 'legacy gear' idea that SWTOR does. Garrosh heirlooms were a similar idea, but I'd want more. It's one of the few things I really liked about SWTOR was how easily they made it to bring an alt in if you needed it instead of having to rerun flex then rerun normal then rerun normlas THEN you could have a backup for the raid when it was needed.

Taking any ideas from SWTOR would be a death wish on Blizzards part.

lazygecko

I know I'm a bit late for the (enhancement) shaman discussion but since it's still the only character I play I thought I'd chime in to say that I'm happy Blizzard recognizes we need buffed up a bit.

I felt damage was fairly weak but that's improved a fair bit with gear so I'm not minding that as much but I'm starting to feel like a glass cannon despite being a mail wearer. I just feel like my survivability went way down somehow and I've died plenty more now than I usually did playing in the past. I have done a few tough fights and was able to use every ability to stay alive (Tul'Turak or some nonsense in Nagrand and Deidemos or something in Socrates area for the Apexis dailies. Butchered all those names!).

I certainly felt more powerful while playing through MoP in both damage and ability to stay alive.

Maybe this will change more as I keep gearing up but I'm around 615 now and still find myself getting really low when fighting multiple world mobs together.

Part of the problem is that I always used X-Perl which had the edges of the screen flash red when low on health and I moved to ShadowUF I believe it's called and that doesn't have the option. Multiple times I've died because I'm trained to notice my health drop when the screen flashes and without it I've died completely unaware my health had gotten that low. Oops! I should find another add-on to fix this problem.

Much more than mere buffs are needed. Shamans need a complete redesign to the same extent paladins have gotten on several occasions. The extreme fluctuations in balance is worse for shamans than any other class and it's just getting more clear every year that they don't know how to properly work with the class within the confines of its current toolset. All they have been doing at this point is applying band-aid.
Shamans have probably strayed more from their original design intent moreso than any other class yet there hasn't been any fundamental rethinking that is really needed for that. I mean, christ, it's only very recently that they decided to get rid of rockbiter and threat from frost shocks which were relics from the very earliest days when shamans were able to "tank".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What? I mean I don't think SWTOR is a horrible game of only bad ideas, but...those two systems are NOTHING alike.

How are they nothing alike? Little 'minions' you send off to do things such as crafting and misc missions. As far as I know, the only mmo to have that prior to WoD was SWTOR's companion system. Just because they didn't ape all of it doesn't mean they didn't ape some of it.

Fjordson

One of my few dislikes about WoD so far is the new capital. Small complaint, but it's kinda lame compared to past ones. Just like tents and some other shit outside in the same general area. I dunno, not really feeling it. And as far as I know it doesn't even have all of the portals that Shrine had.

vocab

One of my few dislikes about WoD so far is the new capital. Small complaint, but it's kinda lame compared to past ones. Just like tents and some other shit outside in the same general area. I dunno, not really feeling it. And as far as I know it doesn't even have all of the portals that Shrine had.

ashran sucks really bad. It's honestly the most disappointing aspect of the entire expansion.

ashran sucks really bad. It's honestly the most disappointing aspect of the entire expansion.

When I first visited it, I just thought it was the "PvP area" and nothing more. I didn't really explore, so I didn't see that there was an AH, Bank, etc, so I thought the main city was something else.

I honestly thought the main city was going to be Shattrath. =X

Fjordson

Haha, so I'm not alone. It's just such a boring capital, and even the layout could be better. Like why not have a portals section like Shrine?

Tons of amazing locales in Draenor, but Ashran definitely ain't one of them.

Buzzman

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I got home 5 minutes after Poundfist spawned! I'm going to go cry in a corner now :*(

Feel bad for you :(
But it can't be that hard to get surely? My mom was questing in Nagrand when she stumbled upon him, had no idea he would drop an awesome fucking mount LOL

Edit: But it's balanced out by me playing Elemental Shaman so the joke's on me I guess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Warlock and DK kept standing in AoE, not putting out the numbers I'd have liked them to. Wiped on Rukhran three times because they either weren't kiting birds or just died to Quills.

Rizzi

I did ten heroics today, and got one piece of equipment that I didn't already have.
Hey, 3 gold, 63 silver, 42 copper. Just what I always wanted. It's not about "oh I demand all the loot instantly". Doing the same shit over. And over. And over. For what? Nothing. That's not fun. I stop having fun, I stop paying to have this experience.

Top Bottom