• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Wunder

Shaman buffs are coming.

Yeah I know! I personally don't really feel underpowered in PvE at the moment, but trying to break into Ashran/PvP and it feels impenetrable to me right now, and I don't know if its my class or my inexperience or a combination of both, but it sucks when people just say to switch class and PvP with that instead.

StayDead

Man I probably picked the worst combo of 90s to try and level. Shaman is up there nice and ready for Highmaul, but we're also apparently the worst class in the game PvE and PvP wise. So I try to level my Druid, except the changed boomkin mechanic still really confuses me and I don't really have any idea what I'm doing. I want to just go resto and level through dungeons but that's a real grind as well, so I'm kinda stuck. :(

Balance really isn't any harder than it was before although I'm a resto main with no interest in DPS'ing in raids ever again.

Starfire/Moonfire benefits from the time the bar is blue (from the middle upwards) and Sunfire and Wrath from when it's yellow (from the middle upwards).

Starsurge is now instant and gives you a damage boost to your next three starfires or wraths depending on when you activate it and when the arrow gets to the end of the bar and turns around your moonfire and sunfire get a damage boost if you apply them then (which is when you need to anyway)

Wunder

Balance really isn't any harder than it was before although I'm a resto main with no interest in DPS'ing in raids ever again.

Starfire/Moonfire benefits from the time the bar is blue (from the middle upwards) and Sunfire and Wrath from when it's yellow (from the middle upwards).

Starsurge is now instant and gives you a damage boost to your next three starfires or wraths depending on when you activate it and when the arrow gets to the end of the bar and turns around your moonfire and sunfire get a damage boost if you apply them then (which is when you need to anyway)

Thanks! Yeah I think the ElvUI class meter confused me a bit because they reverse it and while the bar is pushing to the left (eclipse) it brings in more yellow, so it really confused me for a while. Also I'm still only 91 so I don't have instant Starsurge. I think that'll be real handy once I get that perk though.

Dawg

You know, I understand Blizzard was trying to fix the gated "do dailies to get gear" concept. I totally get that.

But why did they have to do a double fix that ruined the way reputations are now?

They only had to do one thing: remove the PvE-essential gear from reputation vendors and give people more/other choices instead of content being gated by daily quests.

They did that.

But they also completely removed the concept of reputation dailies so now you have to grind mobs like in the old days. It doesn't fit their modern design and it's awfully boring. Why not keep dailies around? The reputation rewards are mostly vanity items like pets, mounts, toys and cosmetics. Just keep a few dailies around so people can gather reputation on a daily basis without having to resort to mindless grinding again.

Goddamnit, Blizzard.

Apt101

You know, I understand Blizzard was trying to fix the gated "do dailies to get gear" concept. I totally get that.

But why did they have to do a double fix that ruined the way reputations are now?

They only had to do one thing: remove the PvE-essential gear from reputation vendors and give people more/other choices instead of content being gated by daily quests.

They did that.

But they also completely removed the concept of reputation dailies so now you have to grind mobs like in the old days. It doesn't fit their modern design and it's awfully boring. Why not keep dailies around? The reputation rewards are mostly vanity items like pets, mounts, toys and cosmetics. Just keep a few dailies around so people can gather reputation on a daily basis without having to resort to mindless grinding again.

Goddamnit, Blizzard.

It wouldn't be so bad if they allowed one to choose any faction for their dungeon bonus rep, awarded rep by enemy kill rather than in one small lump sum at the conclusion, and included turn-in items that were found out in the world and in dungeons (all things they used to do in one form or fashion, like tabards). Sometimes dungeons don't get finished. A continuous earning of rep feels better and more productive to the player IMO.

Regarding the shaman class, I hopped on mine and tried leveling him. He was enhancement, but I also tried elemental. It's an absolute mess. That entire class needs streamlining like what the paladin and warrior classes saw. It's a sloppy collection of busy work that really does not belong in this newer, better WoW I've returned to. Really disappointing.

cdyhybrid

Unsure if I should even bother with CMs. I'm already at 636, which from what I understand is good enough for Normal Highmaul. The one I've tried was Skyreach and we couldn't get past the second boss.

Seems like a lot of work for marginal upgrades.

TheYanger

Unsure if I should even bother with CMs. I'm already at 636, which from what I understand is good enough for Normal Highmaul. The one I've tried was Skyreach and we couldn't get past the second boss.

Seems like a lot of work for marginal upgrades.

Highly depends on your group. Both comp and skill. A lot of people just don't enjoy the type of gameplay that CMs require, and if you're stuck in a group with 1-2 of them bringing you down it's going to be miserable. I'll happily spend 30-hour in a dungeon to get a 10 ilevel upgrade to most of my slots though.

Golds are stressful, dailies? not that bad imo. Just CC a lot and play casually.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Unlike the transmog armor from MoP, nothing about the CM gold weapons is very compelling to me. Just seems like a lot of stuff going on for the sake of stuff going on instead of having appealing designs. And I really dislike the gun and the bow. The bow seems pretty much pointless to any race's aesthetic except for night elves, and the gun feels the same way except for Draenei.

Still enjoying level this new character. It's the first new character I've leveled from the start in a LONG time, and it's been a nice refreshing re-introduction into WoW again since so much has changed. Also Hunters are damned overpowered.

I do random BGs in between leveling and I feel like a man defensive unit guarding the flag with my pet by my side. Concussion Shot and Kill Command. Mwahaha.

Hellers

I have my mage at 95 also, and I gave up for the time being. Same with my 92 warlock, although that felt better. Caster classes just feel so weak compared to the two melee classes I've leveled (rogue and warrior).

In WoD I currently have

Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Druid
DK
Paladin

I'd say my DK and Hunter were currently the strongest. Followed by my DK, Paladin, Druid and Mage last. Mind you my frost mage doesn't suck as hard as she did in MoP. Getting her to 90 prepatch was utterly brutal. Stuff seems quite manageable on her now but she's definitely way down on the easy to play stakes.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Getting mage to 100 was insanely easy.. I soloed everything and topped most dungeons. Arcane, my friends.

lazygecko

Getting mage to 100 was insanely easy.. I soloed everything and topped most dungeons. Arcane, my friends.

Arcane mages seem to benefit more from their draenor perks than other classes. Improved Arcane Power actually lowering the mana cost of spells instead of increasing it, combined with the nature of their mastery being a damage increase based on how much mana you have, should mean a significant increase to DPS.

I wonder how well arcane could do in PvP combined with the ice floes talent. Never liked frost because pet classes aren't my thing, and the fun factor of fire has been dead to me since MoP changed it (You never quite get over the highs from spreading combustion DoTs on entire raids with little to no DR. Killed 5 people at once hugging the stables flag in AB during Cataclysm), so it's really only arcane left for me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I did Arcane all last night in Ashran. It's the same old, you lose survivability for a lot of burst potential. The issue is our 100 talent. I'm still not finding which one works best in pvp.. arcane orb is really janky.

I've been a frost mage since vanilla but killing the old school shatter mechanic just sucks. Remember when cold of cold was basically our ice lance? As for fire, I HATE new fire. My favorite version of fire was TBC scorch build.

Anyway, I'll keep experimenting with it.

StayDead

TBC scorch was a build I hated but adored at the same time. I still raided as frost but I'd switch out for the scorch build sometimes.

Bizazedo

If Ashran wasn't a continuous battle and instead on a timer like Tol Barad, it'd help. It's hard to reverse the steamroll unless you're in a PvP guild that joins en masse.

That and you don't auto-join a raid since you can have more than forty in there, I suppose, and damn if the mental midgets just can't grasp the fact.

Either way, still fairly easy to go in and get a bunch of broken bones and get out to feed the Gladiator Sanctum. Almost fully capped on blue pvp gear, though, so will probably be switching it soon.

Jarnet87

That's sort of what happened to me. I randomly saw one while leveling, except I just passed it by for some reason I'm forgetting. Guess I didn't know what it was at the time. And of course now I can't find one lol.

same, found the tree and killed it but i abandoned the quest because I had no idea we needed it for level 3. Whoops.

Switching to Mistweaver, hope I like it more then Brewmaster. I really dislike Monk but it's the only character I have on Mannoroth where friends are playing. My choices are to pay for a server and faction transfer (which I can't afford at the moment) or level up another toon from 1 to 100. Gonna try and ride out Monk and maybe make a DK to skip Vanilla leveling at least, though by the time I get him to cap Blood will probably take a huge nerf lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Got my mage to 100 yesterday, not sure what to choose between the Crystal talent or the Comet Storm one.

I'm an expert

Got my mage to 100 yesterday, not sure what to choose between the Crystal talent or the Comet Storm one.

Storm is really good. Crystal is too situational for me. Gonna need a good macro for it.

ampere

I definitely agree there are issues, but I don't like seeing those two images posted all the time, they're disingenuous. DoC Feral is much more difficult to play well than Enhancement and just showing "damage sources" doesn't illustrate that. The damage source pie chart shows all off-hand components of damage as separate things, which they are not from a spec complexity PoV, windfury and flamtongue are totally passive, and 3 dps cooldowns (feral spirits, ascendance, and fire ele) just make the chart look complicated. Enhance is actually a fun spec now, Ele is another story.

Rizzi

I will say this, something that makes me really happy is how easy it is to get the pvp gear from just doing BG's. I know it'll probably be useless in a month or so though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I definitely agree there are issues, but I don't like seeing those two images posted all the time, they're disingenuous. DoC Feral is much more difficult to play well than Enhancement and just showing "damage sources" doesn't illustrate that. The damage source pie chart shows all off-hand components of damage as separate things, which they are not from a spec complexity PoV, windfury and flamtongue are totally passive, and 3 dps cooldowns (feral spirits, ascendance, and fire ele) just make the chart look complicated. Enhance is actually a fun spec now, Ele is another story.

Agreed for the most part, but I actually do enjoy playing ele. I just want it to be better. It's really easy to get angry and hyperbolic though, especially when looking at Celestalon's reasoning for nerfs/changes throughout the beta and how he has already been proven wrong on virtually every one of the points he made to justify those changes. The shaman community at large is now in a position where blizzard didn't "just" ignore the feedback, they explicitly told us the feedback was incorrect, and now everyone is totally unsurprised to find out that, no, things are bad just like people said they would be. It is rather disheartening.

That being said, I do plan to stick with ele for a bit because, as I said, I find it fun to play. I like shooting lightning and lava, and I really don't find the single target rotation to be clunky or bothersome. I enjoy the feel/aesthetic that the new mastery brings to the spec. I like how we are still the undisputed kings of multistrike even with the new mastery being totally unrelated to multistrike.

lazygecko

Both ele and enh are just riddled with these awkward mechanics that just make life more annoying and tedious in various ways. For example the new mastery effect for elemental which you don't have much control over and will merrily break CCs, or jus troll you when you're trying to trap or do something else with mobs that require them to be at low health first.

Not to mention that the constant rumbling sound from the mastery gets insanely annoying.

Jag

They did that.

Goddamnit, Blizzard.

Grinding mobs for rep is a huge step backwards. Blizz will say you don't have to do it, but that's bullshit because they put gear and building requirements (like Trading Post lvl 3) behind a crushing rep grind.

Mordeccai

Millhouse acquired, with Epic Mount trait! Yay!

A guildy of mine got one with scavenger.

I got Nat Pagle last night and he came with scavenger, so that was pretty nice.

Man it was a pain in the ass to level fishing from 1-700. Took me just about a week. Making bank from fish though, prices the first couple days of the expansion on fish were insane. They seem to have leveled out a little bit but I've noticed the supply on my server is sporadic.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Both ele and enh are just riddled with these awkward mechanics that just make life more annoying and tedious in various ways. For example the new mastery effect for elemental which you don't have much control over and will merrily break CCs, or jus troll you when you're trying to trap or do something else with mobs that require them to be at low health first.

Not to mention that the constant rumbling sound from the mastery gets insanely annoying.

Doesn't the mastery only proc against targets that are taking damage from your spells? CC'd stuff shouldn't be a viable target.

That lvl 100 fire totem talent, on the other hand, fucking intentionally seeks out CC'd targets. Every fucking time, it became a running joke in my guild until I finally specc'ed out of it. You could have a pack of liek 5 mobs and 1 sapped mob all the way across the room and as soon as I press the button, I see lava globs bypassing the entire pack and making a b-line for the sapped guy.

mileS

Is there any good follower guides put there? I've been 100 for a week or so but it feels like I missed so many of them. I'm slowly leveling what ones I have but it gets a little bit difficult when you are missing 2-3 good counters.

It seems like my level 92 alt on the opposite faction already has more of the counters covered, just need to keep them leveled.

Jarnet87

Is there any good follower guides put there? I've been 100 for a week or so but it feels like I missed so many of them. I'm slowly leveling what ones I have but it gets a little bit difficult when you are missing 2-3 good counters.

It seems like my level 92 alt on the opposite faction already has more of the counters covered, just need to keep them leveled.

I don't have a single Epic follower on my Druid, shit he barely has rare followers. My Monk has like 4 or 5 epic and a couple rares. Dat RNG.

Tacitus_

Wowhead has a guide for them, or you can look ingame in the followers tab for locked followers and what unlocks them.

mileS

I don't have a single Epic follower on my Druid, shit he barely has rare followers. My Monk has like 4 or 5 epic and a couple rares. Dat RNG.
Yeah RNG is pretty huge for that part. But I feel like my alliance alt at level 92 already has way better options for counters. If I keep them leveled I'll be off to a good start. Then again though its an alt on the opposite faction so I don't care as much :/

Xis

Regarding the shaman class, I hopped on mine and tried leveling him. He was enhancement, but I also tried elemental. It's an absolute mess. That entire class needs streamlining like what the paladin and warrior classes saw. It's a sloppy collection of busy work that really does not belong in this newer, better WoW I've returned to. Really disappointing.

My main is an enhancement shaman, and I mostly agree. I'm still having fun with him but they made some odd decisions. Unleashed Elements is a necessary part of the rotation, but it doesn't do anything but give a short buff; it doesn't feel good. And I have like 10+ cooldown abilities on my action bar.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I leveled my Enh Shaman post 6.0 and yeah, it's a clunky mess that didn't really feel cohesive. It felt like buttons were missing.

Elemental still seems fine to me/unchanged. I don't know if the complaints about the playstyle are warranted.

mclem

One week to go to raids, and time to think seriously about how to run people. I, personally, want to take as many people as possible into Highmaul - it's flexible now, so we should embrace being flexible. Others, however, want to limit us to the best-geared players. Given we're planning on starting with Normal anyway to get a feel for the place, I'm instinctively associating that with Flex and working on the assumption that we can pretty much handle it without thinking, but I fear I might not be paying proper attention to the fact that we tended to outgear Flex in the past.

Leaning towards 620 for Highmaul for now.

It's so you don't get complete scrubs in heroics. Or that's what it's supposed to be for anyway... the dps proving grounds is a joke.

I did the DPS proving grounds. As tank. When I *really* struggled with doing that in Pandaria.

Anoregon

One week to go to raids, and time to think seriously about how to run people. I, personally, want to take as many people as possible into Highmaul - it's flexible now, so we should embrace being flexible. Others, however, want to limit us to the best-geared players. Given we're planning on starting with Normal anyway to get a feel for the place, I'm instinctively associating that with Flex and working on the assumption that we can pretty much handle it without thinking, but I fear I might not be paying proper attention to the fact that we tended to outgear Flex in the past.

Leaning towards 620 for Highmaul for now.

Honestly, with the ilevel jump from a 680 ring (which anyone wanting/expecting to do Highmaul on day 1 should absolutely have), I wouldn't take anyone under average ilvl of 630, maybe even slightly higher.

mclem

Honestly, with the ilevel jump from a 680 ring (which anyone wanting/expecting to do Highmaul on day 1 should absolutely have), I wouldn't take anyone under average ilvl of 630, maybe even slightly higher.

Mmm, I think that's only, what, 2.5iLvls or so (that is, 40 iLvls averaged over 16 slots)? Not sure that makes that big a difference in itself, nice though it is.

That said, I'm thinking that the ring is a really smart benchmark to work with independently of that - it shows intent, which perhaps is more important than straight iLvl counts.

Mothman91

680 wouldn't give you a huge jump. Only like 2 ilvl, so if you have full heroic gear, 680 ring, and MC helm, you'll be at 633. Maybe 634/635 if you got lucky with some warforged gear.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Finally got my ilvl 630 (I got a 630 axe along with HC Warforged Ring and Legplates).

Unfortunately, I've yet to manage to find my 630 boots. Matter of fact, I made sure I don't play on Iron Docks and Grimrail Depot since I don't like those dungeons and they don't drop boots in them.

Regardless, I've got to ilvl 630. So now, my focus is to get my ilvl 630 boots regardless how much time it'll take for me.

Top Bottom