• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Tacitus_

We've just pushed live a hotfix that increases the healing done by Enveloping Mist by 50%.

Fine tuning the balance again.

so i'm about to jump in this game. i played it back in 2005 and didn't really grab me. so i'm giving it another chance with $5 deal. is there an NA GAF guild? horde preferably :)

There is no gaf guild since people want different things from their guilds.

They should really fix the issue of having to keep a 90-94 and a 95-99 follower active in order to receive a decent amount of missions, if your roster is all 100s you'll end up with 3-4 missions at a time.

Killer

Banned
There is no gaf guild since people want different things from their guilds.

Bummer. so you guys don't play with each other?

I'll be looking for a new guild, myself. Horde, Llane.

If you are in NA server i'll be glad to join and start leveling up.

BTW, i have a question regarding the latest expansion, if i get it and get the lvl 90 boost, wouldn't i be skipping most of the game contents?

Lanrutcon

You think 6 is a lot? Go play a frost mage if you want to press only 3 buttons, one more than the others.

Yeah, I think 6 cooldowns is a bit much in addition to regular abilities. It's the kind of thing I'm just going to hotkey to a single button that will get hammered as I run around.

ampere

Finally did all the zone end quests, those cutscenes were incredible. I need to do SMV on an Alliance to see that one.

Was looking through Paragon's roster on the armory, and I saw that some of their members already have mythic gear? One had ilvl 701 boots, and another had 695 wrists. How is that possible?

Black Market Auction House. Our Prot Warrior bought a 701 belt with a socket for 350k last night.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So there's a bug that's at least a week old now where whenever someone leaves a Tarren Mill vs SS BG, it resets everyone's rankings. Making the whole thing moot and breaking the entire core gameplay idea of it. And it's still busted.

GG blizz.

BTW, i have a question regarding the latest expansion, if i get it and get the lvl 90 boost, wouldn't i be skipping most of the game contents?
You will - all the old stuff. But you can always level more than one guy to see the content. I am on a US server, BTW. Don't know what I want to focus on, myself. I skipped the last xpac so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Tacitus_

Not really. There's some guys who are on the same server, but if people want to raid, or hardcore raid, they're going to need to be in a raiding guild. PVPers tend to stick with other PVPers. Casual players (and I mean content wise, some of the pet guys are crazy) don't really need a specific guild, but the aforementioned guilds might not take social applications.

Mupod

so apparently a ton of my old guild from vanilla is back for this. And both of my friends that I play everything with are playing it. You fucking bastards I was finally free. Anybody here from Burning Blade? Is it dead nowadays?

Also I just saw they apparently gave druids a humanoid cat form. I was asking for this since I first saw that tiger guy in ZG, dammit. I even modelswapped my cat form into it once.

TheYanger

You'd be skipping the previous 8 years of content. How much that means to you is variable.
Right now 1-60 is just over 4 years old. 60-70 is 8 years old. 70-80 is 6 years old, 80-85 is 4 years old again, and 85-90 is 2 years old.

What this means is, as you're levelling you get pretty noticeably different styles of content depending on the era it was added, some of it isn't as newbie friendly as others, if you just do quests and keep your head down though, it basically comes down to most of the stuff that is 4 years old or less being pretty well guided, quests will have an organic way of leading you around (though you may outlevel them quickly, there is WAAAAAAAAAAY more content to level through than you will ever see on one go, the opposite of most MMOs), then you hit the older stuff and it's just kind of quests randomly strewn about with much less coherent storytelling.

Even some of the newer stuff (Cataclysm and Mists stuff) has pretty compelling stories but the quality and how much it interests you can vary from zone to zone, which I think is sort of inevitable given the style of game. Compare it to something like FF14 or SWTOR and wow doesn't have any overarching story you're constantly doing, but the zones you're in have lots of self contained stories that contribute to the world building. If you pay attention you'll easily start to piece together everything that is going on, but it's certainly not all as interconnected or overt.

Contrast that with the new expansion where, the zones still have their stories and those are cool, but there's also a VERY clear progression on top of it against the iron horde. Mists was sort of similar but not quite as integrated with all aspects of the levelling experience.

I still think as a new player it's worth it to go like, 1-20 or maybe 1-30 (miinimum, if you're enjoying it just keep levelling... it's not a race) to get a feel for the game and how it plays, maybe make a more informed decision on class at that point, make sure to run some dungeons in there see how that sort of experience goes for you. It'll tell you A) whether you like the game at all and want to plunk down some more cash. B) HOW the game works period, the 90 boost isn't super intended for brand new players, it's not difficult content or anything, but that's from the perspective of a veteran. I have no doubt it could be pretty overwhelming to someone brand new even just understanding HOW to effectively do quests and fight mobs, let alone with 15-20 hotkeys.

There's a beginners guide over on the official site, as well as a new players forum (I have no idea how helpful either of these things are, but they're there):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011644/

But we're a good resource too if you have specific questions. Class choice? Just go for what sounds fun. We could definitely get more nuanced about them but initially know that what you envision in your head MAY not be exactly what they're like after 10 years, which can put some people off early. There's the fantasy of "Yeah I shoot arrows and have a pig buddy" and then there's the reality of "I am the spammiest class in the game" for example with hunters (Don't get me wrong, my hunter is my favorite alt). Wow is a deceptively simple game, all of the classes have a LOT more depth and nuance than is first apparent and it is not an easy game to be great at, it is an easy game to be GOOD at.

Did my daily stuff early yesterday and figured I'd have a lazy day of camping the rare mount spawns. I already have Nok and the two from Nagrand (just called out in general while questing) so I started with Pathrunner.

Camped a spot for a few minutes and then searched for a group. Got in one that just started and while I was third in it grew to around forty people. Ran the game largely in the background, stopped over to set up follower missions, and after four hours got that mount. It was only around 1pm and decided to do another.

Went over to Talador for some Silthide action. This time there wasn't a group so I formed my own. Kept this raid going for around seven hours with a bit more active of a role. Constantly working with people to make sure there's a proper amount at each spawn and keeping conversation friendly. I've found it strangely really enjoyable handling that. Sadly I had to jet. When I handed raid leader to someone there it dropped the entire raid. When I got back I noticed they had reformed and still hadn't gotten the mount. Ended up falling asleep at 2am while camping with them.

Damn you, Silthide!

The groups feature is a bit buggy. At one point there was a random role check and a minute later the raid was dropped but my group was still active and half the people got back in right away and got back up to 40 people quickly. And then there was the raid collapsing when I handed over the leader role.

I still need Silthide, Gorok, and Poundfist. Honestly not stressing about Poundfist despite everyone getting sloppy over that ugly mass. I'll camp for it eventually.

My mount lust is strong again with this expansion. I'm up to 216 for the achievement.

Killer

Banned
You will - all the old stuff. But you can always level more than one guy to see the content. I am on a US server, BTW. Don't know what I want to focus on, myself. I skipped the last xpac so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Oh i see. what server you are in? i might join you if you just started.

Not really. There's some guys who are on the same server, but if people want to raid, or hardcore raid, they're going to need to be in a raiding guild. PVPers tend to stick with other PVPers. Casual players (and I mean content wise, some of the pet guys are crazy) don't really need a specific guild, but the aforementioned guilds might not take social applications.

Gotcha. i thought most people here on same guild since that what i see in other MMOs.
You'd be skipping the previous 8 years of content. How much that means to you is variable.
Right now 1-60 is just over 4 years old. 60-70 is 8 years old. 70-80 is 6 years old, 80-85 is 4 years old again, and 85-90 is 2 years old.

What this means is, as you're levelling you get pretty noticeably different styles of content depending on the era it was added, some of it isn't as newbie friendly as others, if you just do quests and keep your head down though, it basically comes down to most of the stuff that is 4 years old or less being pretty well guided, quests will have an organic way of leading you around (though you may outlevel them quickly, there is WAAAAAAAAAAY more content to level through than you will ever see on one go, the opposite of most MMOs), then you hit the older stuff and it's just kind of quests randomly strewn about with much less coherent storytelling.

Even some of the newer stuff (Cataclysm and Mists stuff) has pretty compelling stories but the quality and how much it interests you can vary from zone to zone, which I think is sort of inevitable given the style of game. Compare it to something like FF14 or SWTOR and wow doesn't have any overarching story you're constantly doing, but the zones you're in have lots of self contained stories that contribute to the world building. If you pay attention you'll easily start to piece together everything that is going on, but it's certainly not all as interconnected or overt.

Contrast that with the new expansion where, the zones still have their stories and those are cool, but there's also a VERY clear progression on top of it against the iron horde. Mists was sort of similar but not quite as integrated with all aspects of the levelling experience.

I still think as a new player it's worth it to go like, 1-20 or maybe 1-30 (miinimum, if you're enjoying it just keep levelling... it's not a race) to get a feel for the game and how it plays, maybe make a more informed decision on class at that point, make sure to run some dungeons in there see how that sort of experience goes for you. It'll tell you A) whether you like the game at all and want to plunk down some more cash. B) HOW the game works period, the 90 boost isn't super intended for brand new players, it's not difficult content or anything, but that's from the perspective of a veteran. I have no doubt it could be pretty overwhelming to someone brand new even just understanding HOW to effectively do quests and fight mobs, let alone with 15-20 hotkeys.

There's a beginners guide over on the official site, as well as a new players forum (I have no idea how helpful either of these things are, but they're there):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011644/

But we're a good resource too if you have specific questions. Class choice? Just go for what sounds fun. We could definitely get more nuanced about them but initially know that what you envision in your head MAY not be exactly what they're like after 10 years, which can put some people off early. There's the fantasy of "Yeah I shoot arrows and have a pig buddy" and then there's the reality of "I am the spammiest class in the game" for example with hunters (Don't get me wrong, my hunter is my favorite alt). Wow is a deceptively simple game, all of the classes have a LOT more depth and nuance than is first apparent and it is not an easy game to be great at, it is an easy game to be GOOD at.

Thanks a lot for the information. I think starting from the beginning with all that content is overwhelming lol. I'm looking at classes and see what i like most. I'll save the 90 boost when i get the expansion and get a good handle of things. Thanks again!

Ultratech

Decided to do some Brawler's Guild today and see how things got changed up.

Sure enough, the ordering of the fights is different.

I only went up to Rank 5, though the most difficult fight in there will probably be Nibbleh, who's moved down to Rank 4.

I only had minimal issues on Nibbleh; my first time, I had him down to about 3%, when I ran out of room to move.
The second time, I spec'd Lone Wolf and got him down much faster.

And of course, if you beat Meatball at the end of Rank 4, you can get him as a Follower.

Luckily, Hexos isn't in the Normal rotation this Season. He's just an optional fight, part of the Legacy Challenges.

sora87

I went ahead and cancelled my sub. My priest feels nerfed into the ground and every dungeon group I get are clearly freshly boosted players who don't really know what they're doing, leading to like 30 wipes in a normal dungeon.

Oh i see. what server you are in? i might join you if you just started.

Gotcha. i thought most people here on same guild since that what i see in other MMOs.

Thanks a lot for the information. I think starting from the beginning with all that content is overwhelming lol. I'm looking at classes and see what i like most. I'll save the 90 boost when i get the expansion and get a good handle of things. Thanks again!
I'm on Llane. Save your 90 boost after you toy with a few classes. If you get to 60 the boost will also max two primary professions if your 60 has them.

I have a few friends here on Llane. I used to roll Korgath PvP for years but I honestly the only difference between PvP and PvE servers is ganking, IMO. World PvP is dead. No more huge battles or anything. So I decided to move to a PvE server since when I'm contenting I dont like being bugged and I'm not the guy that goes ganking so I save my PvP for BGs and Arenas.

Magnus

Wut. We're stronger than ever feels like!

How were we nerfed?

I dunno - as a CoP Shadow Priest, I'm more than holding my own in dungeons. Half the time I'm topping the meter.

And it feels like Holy is in the best place it's been in years. Healing feels great on the class and we aren't bleeding mana like crazy anymore, even with a bit of flash spam.

Can't comment on Disc.

And damn. For holy: have you seen how ridiculously amazing our t17 bonuses are and how well they synergize with our level 100 talent? (Words of Mending). We'll be OP Mending and Serendipity machines.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
War Mill transmog pieces say they are account bound. Does that mean I can buy a plate item with my rogue and mail it to my warrior? Been farming on my warrior, but my rogue has 50 or so scraps also so that would save me farming a piece if I can do that.

Plus my rogue has the shoulder and helm dungeon pieces my warrior hasn't found yet.

Saucy_XL

Banned
3 UBRS CM in the last 4 days. And tonight our healer left as when got to the last boss because of Thanksgiving so I had to do the entire thing over again. Please no more blizzard.

TheYanger

3 UBRS CM in the last 4 days. And tonight our healer left as when got to the last boss because of Thanksgiving so I had to do the entire thing over again. Please no more blizzard.

It's actually 4 of the last 5 :D

Also holy shit, I didn't realize how unabalanced healers were for these, usually I go with a resto sham, but he swapped to his priest to gear that up too and it's night and day how easy it was with the priest in comparison.

60-70 is currently the slowest leveling progression IMO. It's dreadful.

Eh, I think some of it is probably based on familiarity with how to be efficient with it. The old stuff shuffles you around quickly, but 1-60 has always been faster per level, 60-100 is where the expansions kicked in so the per level time investment was always a bit higher for the most part. That said, they've also sped it up considerably accross the board every time new content comes out, I don't find 60-70 any slower than 70-80 or 80-85 for instance.

Having just leveled 3 characters through 60-70 I can say for sure that it's the slowest even with dungeons. Northrend being faster and 80-90 being extremely fast after 6.0.

vilmer_

One of our mages - who has historically been pretty reliable - found silver unexpectedly tough. Really struggled with the AoE parts. Heck, *I* - as tank - got silver without too much hassle.

Silver wasn't too bad at all, at least in frost spec. Gold is an absolute lesson in anger management. Spamming frostbolt (which does horrendous damage now on its own) and praying for FoF procs is NOT fun. I don't know who's in charge of class balance these days but they need to be brought into the office and written up and/or fired on the spot. You don't mess with the Mage class.

Mages and Warlocks are in a bad spot right now. Which fucking sucks because they are PURE DPS classes. They don't have an option to switch over to Tank/Heal/Melee like a couple classes above them on the charts...

Also holy shit, I didn't realize how unabalanced healers were for these, usually I go with a resto sham, but he swapped to his priest to gear that up too and it's night and day how easy it was with the priest in comparison.

Sounds like the usual of every expac. Shamans start weak and then by the last patch, they're buffed to all hell and the best healers.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Mages and Warlocks are in a bad spot right now. Which fucking sucks because they are PURE DPS classes. They don't have an option to switch over to Tank/Heal/Melee like a couple classes above them on the charts...

At least Destro Warlock is still fun to play, even if the DPS is low in PvE. I don't know why they killed Rain of Fire so hard but at least for me it got rid of an annoying mandatory spell that didn't feel like anything other than maintenance. I assume they just wanted to make Cataclysm look more appealing.

Trying to play afflic or demo though, it sucks and it's just not fun to play.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mages are fine. They are one of the most desirable classes for CM runs right now.

Sounds like the usual of every expac. Shamans start weak and then by the last patch, they're buffed to all hell and the best healers.
As a long time Shaman... No. Never this bad in all specs. Never. I been through some thick and thin with my Orc and he has stood strong but this is the first xpac I am searching for an alternative class. Shaman needed ability overhaul and redesign badly for a few years running. Its utterly convoluted for how it underperforms even with the most diligent and on point players. Even during the bad times there was something to salvage by playing as hard as you can and being opportunistic and damn near clairvoyant. Now there's nothing. As best as any one of us can play it underperforms in every area. That isn't hyperbole. We need some serious ability redesign and not numbers passing. So I am now leveling my priest. Sucks. I love my damn Shaman but this is flat-out bad design.

Arcayne

So, I'm sitting/swimming on 1800 garri resources and have all my buildings maxed to lvl2, with the town hall being lvl3. No idea what I could spend them on besides missions. I'm contemplating dropping lvl2 LM for Barn since Trading Post only request reagents you have for guaranteed work orders/resources. Basically 'earning more than I could spend' dilemma. Any opinions on why I should or shouldn't?

lexi

Banned
Mages are fine. They are one of the most desirable classes for CM runs right now.

CM's aren't raids.

Frost mages are mid-to-low. The most viable out of all mage specs.

Arcane is bad and Fire is vanilla-wow-ret-paladin-bad, maybe worse.

As a long time Shaman... No. Never this bad in all specs. Never. I been through some thick and thin with my Orc and he has stood strong but this is the first xpac I am searching for an alternative class. Shaman needed ability overhaul and redesign badly for a few years running. Its utterly convoluted for how it underperforms even with the most diligent and on point players. Even during the bad times there was something to salvage by playing as hard as you can and being opportunistic and damn near clairvoyant. Now there's nothing. As best as any one of us can play it underperforms in every area. That isn't hyperbole. We need some serious ability redesign and not numbers passing. So I am now leveling my priest. Sucks. I love my damn Shaman but this is flat-out bad design.
Can you explain a little about what's broken about Shaman mechanically? It's the only class I don't have an 80+ of so I don't have any idea about them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
CM's aren't raids.

oh frost is still viable? yay I was afraid they would change that. Im still undecided what to play. Mage or Lock for dps, or do a last minute swerve and go healer. In that case I have no idea, Pali maybe just because I never healed with pali (Ive done priest and monk in previous expansions)

I do love how flashy holy healing is tho, and I lvoe my female worgen...hmmm. thoughts?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
CM's aren't raids.

I think it's worth bringing up how classes are doing in CMs because it points to their kit being decently well rounded and not inherently undesirable. I see mages posting decent to high numbers on a regular basis, and as far as I'm aware the specs that aren't doing super well right now do much better with higher item level gear. I don't really feel like the class has anything to worry about, and while they might not be overtuned in the way hunters are they seem like they're in an alright spot.

vocab

I think it's worth bringing up how classes are doing in CMs because it points to their kit being decently well rounded and not inherently undesirable. I see mages posting decent to high numbers on a regular basis, and as far as I'm aware the specs that aren't doing super well right now do much better with higher item level gear. I don't really feel like the class has anything to worry about, and while they might not be overtuned in the way hunters are they seem like they're in an alright spot.

Ele shamans tool kit is amazing for cm, but none of it matters in raids.

Magnus

So, I'm sitting/swimming on 1800 garri resources and have all my buildings maxed to lvl2, with the town hall being lvl3. No idea what I could spend them on besides missions. I'm contemplating dropping lvl2 LM for Barn since Trading Post only request reagents you have for guaranteed work orders/resources. Basically 'earning more than I could spend' dilemma. Any opinions on why I should or shouldn't?

I don't understand. Level 2 isn't maxed. Sounds like it's time for level 3 buildings? lol.

I'd have a fuckload of GR too if I stopped at level 2. :)

Female Undead, male Undead, or female Belf for my priest?

Male blood elf.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Female Undead, male Undead, or female Belf for my priest?

ECjhRjR.jpg

lexi

Banned

Frost Mages are IMO one of the better CM classes / specs. Heaps of utility (Amplify Magic, CC, Interrupt, Spellsteal, Heroism) And frost has amazing burst damage which is fantastic on the typically short CM fights.

Raiding though? I'm sure Frost will do well enough to earn their place in the raid, but not much else. Arcane and Fire will be benched.

Arcayne

I don't understand. Level 2 isn't maxed. Sounds like it's time for level 3 buildings? lol.

I'd have a fuckload of GR too if I stopped at level 2. :)

I guess I could have summed my post to: "I don't know what to do with these resources." Upgrading the building that only produces more resources that I don't know what to spend on is my problem lol

*should have mentioned I'm in no rush to get buildings to lvl3
**the more i read what I posted, the more I'm confused. lol

Top Bottom