• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Apt101

Ashran confuses me because best I can tell you don't get any honor for the random capture the flag battles that you try to do as you try and push into the enemies base, outside of HKs anyway. Also I'm rogue and can't do shit in there, didn't even need to bring back Hillsbrad cause I am getting the same experience in Ashran.

I like the random events for the most part though, the ore collection battle has been really intense every time I've done it and the racing event is hilarious when one side doesn't bother to show up.

I got most of my honor from the mines (turn in ten big red things), the arena race, and bonus objectives. The ogre fire one is OK, but it seems to pop rarely. For the final stretch I just farmed hundreds of fragments from the mobs around the arena while the Alliance forces kept the Horde stuck in their base. 200 honor a turn-in for 100, I earned 4k in an hour.

Mupod

the premise of this expansion boggles my mind as a longtime warcraft nerd, mainly because I find it funny how influential the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion has been on WoW. Deathwing, Teron Gorefiend, even Grom were introduced there yet were not all that important to the game itself. It was also HARD AS SHIT, so I can't imagine that many people relative to current WoW fans ever finished it.

But since I was one of those people, I like the idea of finally being able to beat up Ner'Zhul. Assuming you can, or will be able to soon. I still remember feeling pissed as hell that I finally beat the campaign and that fucker escaped. And then he gets away in WC3 too! And apparently was mentally wiped out by Arthas off-panel in some novel, or something.

Ultratech

Ashran confuses me because best I can tell you don't get any honor for the random capture the flag battles that you try to do as you try and push into the enemies base, outside of HKs anyway. Also I'm rogue and can't do shit in there, didn't even need to bring back Hillsbrad cause I am getting the same experience in Ashran.

I like the random events for the most part though, the ore collection battle has been really intense every time I've done it and the racing event is hilarious when one side doesn't bother to show up.

1st time you do it successfully and kill the enemy commander, you'll get a Purple Lockbox.
After that, you're just racking up kills and little Honor. (Like I was getting 63 Honor on multiple commander kills.)

I was getting 500 Honor for some of the bonus map events/objectives, which wasn't too bad.

And you get a bit from the Artifact Fragments, if you can manage not to die.

lazygecko

I think out of all the post-vanilla experiments in large scale PvP, which includes battlegrounds and world PvP zones, Wintergrasp was the only successful one. Tol Barad was too much of a cat and mouse game.

I think Wintergrasp worked largely because it was non-symmetrical between the defending and attacking factions, unlike places such as Isle of Conquest which end up with little actual PvP interaction with both teams entirely focused on rushing a PvE boss. Defending and attacking the fort from multiple flanks was fun.

They really should rework Wintergrasp into an instanced battleground which you can enter at any time.

ZenaxPure

mining has been hotfixed.. and rightfully so.. the garrison mine even at just level 2 made it so almost no one needed to be a miner. garrison mine now gives out noticeably less ore. looks to now be about on par with the herb garden which at level 2 only gives me around 8-10 nodes.

I feel like the damage has already been done for me personally. I've had the level 3 mine for a while now and total I've probably collected well over 1000 of each ore. I have enough just from my rogue's mine to keep my JC/BS alt work orders going for a while.

1st time you do it successfully and kill the enemy commander, you'll get a Purple Lockbox.

Sure, I did that already, I was just talking about the main battle. I spent an hour in there yesterday and it was just the two factions going back and forth between 2 points. We'd win the first, then lose the second, over and over. Got barely any honor for it or fragments really. It felt pointless. Not sure why you don't get like 100 honor or so when you win one of the small battles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Valkyr tried to throw me off the ledge, and I disengaged back onto the platform

That needs like a MLG 420 xxsniperxx montage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is the teleporter to Timeless Isle in Gorgrond a reference to something I'm not getting? Its four chairs sitting around a fire and if you touch the fire while in the chair you teleport either to or from Gorgrond to the Timeless Isle in Pandaria.

StayDead

Is the teleporter to Timeless Isle in Gorgrond a reference to something I'm not getting? Its four chairs sitting around a fire and if you touch the fire while in the chair you teleport either to or from Gorgrond to the Timeless Isle in Pandaria.

Might be a dark souls reference? I can't think of anything else with bonfires.

Ultratech

I forgot, since it was mentioned when Timeless Isle came out.

The campfire itself is actually a Grim Campfire.
I know in the Timeless Isle cave, there were dirt piles that formed a Heart shape.

No idea what the reference is, or it may just mean something special to one of the devs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I got two 665 BoE items from salvage between last night and this morning. Sweet 75k gold.

Apt101

9.0. Almost everything thus far is superb but I think the gain rate of some resources are too low, crafting is mostly good with the streamlining but it has lost some of the engagement I felt with it in prior expansions/patches, and these rep grinds (while not crucial) are olden WoW days brutal.

Okay so im ready to jump back in, i haven't played wow since the end of vanilla. Gonna get an account on US servers, so what's a good server with gaffers?

If anyone wants to do the recruit a friend thing just pm me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Suddenly, prices for glyphs on Stormreaver have shot back to the 400-700 range.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

EDIT: Okay, I think there's a monopoly war going on here.

Alchemy

Is the Molten Core queue even functional? Average time ping ponging between 9 minutes and over an hour and I've been in queue for like two hours now. I just want my damn mount T.T

so...

on a scale of 1-10, what do you guys think of this expansion?

+ The world is full of things to discover, and exploration is very well rewarded with loot, gold and EXP.
+ The dungeons are finally challenging, making loot upgrades pretty meaningful outside of the raiding context.
+ Nagrand is well-done as a level-capped zone. There's a rep grind that circles around killing rares and the storylines are reasonably interwoven. Exploring with the Goblin Gliders is a blast.
+ Questing quality of life is greatly improved now that most usable objectives don't disappear when another player interacts with them.
+ LFG tool is fantastic, I wish all casual groups would start this way.

- Garrisons are a very mixed bag. I like that it makes crafting resources a cinch to accumulate but follower missions and building work orders obey the Facebook gaming template. Click things, wait hours, come back, click open your box for goodies. I feel like I'm in a web browser instead of a AAA MMO.
- Loot pools are insane in dungeons. Despite personal loot every boss can now drop an endless permutation of stats, including useless defensive stats on cloth and mail, putting you at the extreme mercy of the RNG like never before.
- Brawler's Guild and Proving Grounds are straight copy/paste jobs from Mists. They could have done better here.
- Professions are borderline pointless now. No personal perk, most production profs don't actually get to produce things more often than once every two weeks, cooking/fishing/first aid seem utterly meaningless, archaeology hasn't been touched or changed in any perceivable way, gathering nodes in the wild seem sparse.

So far this gets a 7. It doesn't measure up to some of the expansions that precede it in terms of that first month's gameplay. There's a lot more to do but I'm doubt the required micromanagement of the garrison is going to be fun come January. The charm of the new zones will wear off quickly as well. The raids are going to have to be amazing to really keep my optimism high for the future of the game.

Tacitus_

Spent 3 hours doing CM UBRS today. I'm thinking our tank was bad, since I know our healer wasn't and his HP kept jumping like it we were back in ICC. Blood DKs have usually been rather stable with their HP...

lexi

Banned
Spent 3 hours doing CM UBRS today. I'm thinking our tank was bad, since I know our healer wasn't and his HP kept jumping like it we were back in ICC. Blood DKs have usually been rather stable with their HP...

UBRS is probably the hardest CM, the bosses hit extremely hard, harder than any other CM I've seen.

Mordeccai

A couple days ago I joined a three stack to tank UBRS. We got up to Zaela, with not too many issues (cheesed Ragewing or w/e by standing outside the gate and range DPS just going to town). But these bastards kept standing in the drake flames and in Zaela's whirlwind and then raged at me "blah blah blah fucking tank not putting the boss in the right spots blah blah blah pop all your CDs man come on" I'm just sitting there raging at my screen yelling "I can't move your damn characters for you or watch the drakes for you, god damn how many times are you guys going to die to this shit!" Pulling up the damage meters and showing them that I was taking ~20K flame damage, and they were all taking 250k+ dmg from flames didn't help their mood.

We wiped 21 times before the other pug DPS left. Was literally over an hour spent on one boss. The hunter kept disengaging off of the platform and demanding a brez, the healer kept standing in flames and whirlwind, it was a cluster fuck. We tried four manning it to no success.

So basically that night I wasted 3 hours of my life. It was one of the most frustrating WoW experiences of my life.

Apt101

A couple days ago I joined a three stack to tank UBRS. We got up to Zaela, with not too many issues (cheesed Ragewing or w/e by standing outside the gate and range DPS just going to town). But these bastards kept standing in the drake flames and in Zaela's whirlwind and then raged at me "blah blah blah fucking tank not putting the boss in the right spots blah blah blah pop all your CDs man come on" I'm just sitting there raging at my screen yelling "I can't move your damn characters for you or watch the drakes for you, god damn how many times are you guys going to die to this shit!" Pulling up the damage meters and showing them that I was taking ~20K flame damage, and they were all taking 250k+ dmg from flames didn't help their mood.

We wiped 21 times before the other pug DPS left. Was literally over an hour spent on one boss. The hunter kept disengaging off of the platform and demanding a brez, the healer kept standing in flames and whirlwind, it was a cluster fuck. We tried four manning it to no success.

So basically that night I wasted 3 hours of my life. It was one of the most frustrating WoW experiences of my life.

That's a very frustrating CM because people seem to think it's all on the tank. If they would zoom out and take account of their position in relation to what's going on it wouldn't be a problem.

Having run many heroics at this point, I blame returning DPS players not realizing they have to move now. MOVE.

Tacitus_

UBRS is probably the hardest CM, the bosses hit extremely hard, harder than any other CM I've seen.

Yeah, but I'd done it before and while we had some issues (fuck the last boss with a rake), we did it in 1:15 on our first try. This was just grueling.

Tried garrison invasion and only got silver with 700 points, i don't understand what we did wrong, all buildings up, killed everything. What else is there to do?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If Vanilla is a 6 (not counting in nostalgia. That suddenly transforms the score into a perfect 10)

TBC is a 8 (I hated the leveling besides Hellfire Peninsula - Scryers and Aldor was frustrating to choose between but the PvP and heroics were fantastic)

Wrath is a 7 (the most loved expansion, I really liked it but dungeon finder and the obesity I had with doing every single heroic as soon as the dailes were reset was killing me. I also disliked the fact that there were two billion different currencies. But Arthas story was great)

Cataclysm is a 7 (pre-nerf heroics was one of the best experiences I've ever had with WoW, but as soon as that was nerfed and an entire year of Dragon Soul was on farm... I realized how much I didn't care for the new world - the new content sucked ass)

Mists of Pandaria is a 8 (I loved it. The farming was great, the music was great, the atmosphere was fantastic. Heroics were too easy and so were the raids)

Warlords of Draenor is so far a 7 (not enough content, but I'm eagerly waiting for the raids)

OK, I figure if anyone can answer this, someone here can.

I'm tired of looking at hotbars. I'd much rather look at what I'm fighting. However, knowing when CDs are available or abilities have popped is useful. I think what I'm looking for is some sort of mod that will let me attach a copy of a hotbar to the side of my current target or something like that. Does anything like this exist?

OK, I figure if anyone can answer this, someone here can.

I'm tired of looking at hotbars. I'd much rather look at what I'm fighting. However, knowing when CDs are available or abilities have popped is useful. I think what I'm looking for is some sort of mod that will let me attach a copy of a hotbar to the side of my current target or something like that. Does anything like this exist?

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tellmewhen

I think you can configure it to whatever skill you want, I don't use it because I already got my action bar on the center of the screen.

Tacitus_

Yeah TMW is a godsend. I use it for dot tracking, proc tracking etc. Cooldowns I know by heart but I think I remember there being a cooldown option in the menu.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Isn't there an aura addon still that inspired the built in mechanic for free ability procs? A fuckin snowflake and etc. popping up would prob get my attention more than a list/icons of timers.

WeakAuras 2?

Okay so I just started out with the trial thing and I want to be a healer when actually reaching to dungeons and stuff.

Is the Druid class viable/sought after in such parties ?

Magnus

Going to jump on that 5$ deal. I'll give it a shot. I was able to look up my old character through some website, here's the date I last played.. haha. Nov 27, 05

I wonder if I'll be lagging hard if I will play on the US servers while living within EU? My own connection is pretty solid, was reading about 200ms but not sure how bad that is anymore, it's been such a long time.

You shouldn't even have to spend the $5 for the game if you were a subscriber in the past....just reactivate your account and pay the sub fee!

ZenaxPure

Warlords of Draenor is so far a 7 (not enough content, but I'm eagerly waiting for the raids)

Yeah sadly a lot of my pre-WoD fears have come true, though, in ways I wasn't expecting. The only real new feature to the xpac is Garrisons and while I do like them, they're gated entirely by time which means you get to do stuff with them for a few minutes and then wait hours in-between. I'm already geared enough for highmaul (especially since I will just be starting with normal) which means the only other WoD stuff is all the ultra grindy boring stuff, camp the mount rare spawns with their crazy spawn timers, kill enemies over and over for one of the shitty new reps or possibly invasions (though who the hell knows how to track these or when I will get one), or endlessly fish for Nat coins.

Now that said, I'm not bored or anything, it's just that I am not really interacting with WoD content much. What I've been doing lately is old raids since I can finally solo all the pre MoP stuff, brawler's guild season 2, pet battle stuff, and I got my proving grounds endless dps (though this turned out to be incredibly disappointing at lvl 100), and I've been messing with different alts figuring out which one I want to gear up and stick in the LFR boat each week when I'm bored.

I'm not really saying WoD needed to add as many new things as MoP (because MoP added soooo much shit), but, Garrisons hasn't been enough for me when you add in the fact that all the other stuff you'd normally do in an expansion is now ultra grindy or gated by time.

TheYanger

I don't get the garrison comments, yeah it's time gated to an extent but it's SO fun dicking around with it. It's very rare that I don't have a mission coming in, almost coming in, a work order, SOMETHING.

Nokterian

FUCKING FINALLY!

Now i have it now i do not go back anymore with people who do not know what the hell there are doing. Lots and lots of them never played vanilla. Wiping on trash...

wowscrnshot_112914_01phk7h.jpg

I don't get the garrison comments, yeah it's time gated to an extent but it's SO fun dicking around with it. It's very rare that I don't have a mission coming in, almost coming in, a work order, SOMETHING.

I think it is awesome,the benefits just alone are worth it. Getting it to level 3 feels so good and the king saying General instead of Commander makes me feel more awesome.

Just resubbed after getting ot 95 on pandara then quitting.

Is Engineering (even more) useless now? I'm a Warrior and don't see anything that appeals to me, not even a mount. Is it still one of the worst crafting profs for gold?

ZenaxPure

I wouldn't call walking into my garrison and picking up some work orders "fun." Also considering how they are structured there is no reason to pick them up more than once a day unless you need the mats immediately. I pick mine up in the morning once a day when I log on and that is it.

As for missions, the roll out becomes incredibly slow once your followers are level 100. I have 8 missions right now and all of them are over 2 hours long except for 1. Quite a few of them are over 6 hours long. Not to mention you can't take them on whims because you need to plan more for ilvl 630 missions since you have to counter 4 things which means sending out 1 person on a different mission means you can screw yourself out of having the power to finish a 630 mission until that one person returns. My solution for this is to recruit someone with epic mount every single week from the inn, but, that is just 1 dude per week.

Anyway, my point is I go to my garrison usually around every 2 hours to do follower stuff, I absolutely do not have missions constantly rolling in at the point I am at.

Edit: To clarify a bit, I don't think anything I said is a knock against the feature itself. The only real way to gate something like garrisons is time. I very much enjoy going into my garrison and doing stuff, my problem with the xpac so far is that when I am not doing stuff in my garrison I am typically not doing anything WoD related either. I am just doing old or remixed content (like the brawler's guild) because everything else in WoD is super grindy (and frankly some of it like the new reps are just outright boring).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah, I'm having fun with Garrison. I'm not trying to farm bloods and craft gear for profit tho. I don't really care about the AH anymore. I played it in Cataclysm. I'll make some 640 gear without bloods and maybe get epic BOE's from salvage. Beyond that, whatever.

Top Bottom