• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Tacitus_

any suggestion to what to build on the garrison? Im building a tailoring building since im a tailor/enchanter, and heard you need the proper buildings for higher level stuff (so I guess ill build a enchanting one on the other small plot

my garrison is lvl 2 now and I have no idea what to put on the medium plot, so again, suggestions? :)

Put either Lumber Mill or Trading Post on your first medium slot. You'll need the extra resources they give you when you start upgrading to level 3 stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What do you plan to do in the end-game? Raiding? PvP? Collecting pets, mounts, titles?

im not going to raid for realsis, just dungeons and LFR most likely. I do like to be the best on my character relative to what im doing, if that makes sense. Like im the dude that enchants/gems blues if needed for example

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How do you get invasions?

Just did my first invasion, Shadow Council... 6 points away from gold. Fuck :(.

Need to re-do my ret bindings, since I've been spending 100% of time since dinging 100 as Holy Pally. That didn't help in killing things.

Wunder

im not going to raid for realsis, just dungeons and LFR most likely. I do like to be the best on my character relative to what im doing, if that makes sense. Like im the dude that enchants/gems blues if needed for example

http://www.wowhead.com/garrison-calc#G2qCIQMBI0E10BReFiIBcaGAgBkoOz0D8dQ0AFEq

This would be my suggestion then, with the building levels not factoring in, and is pretty much my Garrison minus the small profession buildings. I'll go through the basics/must haves.

Small - Tailor/Enchanter is a no brainer if you're already a Tailor/Enchanter. Work Orders will help you out a lot and you'll get tons of use out of it. I like the Salvage Yard a lot because it gives lots of small goodies, though it can be a bit random. If you like, you can replace the Salvage with a 3rd Profession building or a Storehouse.

Medium - The Tavern is a pretty solid choice for people like us, who just enjoy casually playing the game and exploring the flavor of the world. The Tavern is perfect for this because it gives you quests from a lot of the popular NPCs you may remember from the 1-60 zones as well as some old favorites and some newcomers. You get pretty decent rewards from the actual quests, and some great Toys and items to play with. Then you have the Lumber Mill, and you either want to have that or a Trading Post to get your Garrison Resources flowing.

Large - War Mill/Bunker here is close to mandatory I think, if you want to engage with the end-game Follower game. Being one of the only sources of getting follower enhancements, it is absolutely needed to advance through the 630+ ilvls for your followers. The second building is a bit of a preference/convenience thing, as I don't fancy the Spirit Lodge/Mage Tower at all, and if you aren't really PvPing, the Workshop isn't that great. I would consider the Stables for the convenience factor, but in the end the Barracks wins out for me just for the +5 followers and the fact that Patrol missions are almost a must have if you got bad rolls on your followers and need to level them up.

At the end of the day though, Garrisons are fairly flexible, so long as you don't want to be at the cutting edge of 'progression' and don't mind waiting a week or so to catch up to where you would be if you made a different choice. Nothing you choose will ultimately affect you in the long run, with the ultimate price being some gold and time. I think.

Karl Hawk

Banned
What do you plan to do in the end-game? Raiding? PvP? Collecting pets, mounts, titles?

I know you're asking this to Rhaknar, but for me, I was planning to do Highmaul as it as it comes out.

Unfortunately, since I can only Raid once a week (Thursdays as I'm only available on other days of the week during holidays) and my guild's Raiding schedule is on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays (Which is for progression Raiding runs), I can't jump on raiding with them until several weeks later since that'll make me a burden to their team.

I would try to make a group, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do that since my last attempts to do it on SoO were miserable (Granted, I was partly at fault with that too). Which is kinda unfortunate since I'm starting to get bored and wanna make my experience in WoD a bit more fresh, if you ask me.

Anyone got any advice for the proving grounds as a priest? I can't even do it on bronze :s

As shadow I get to 5/5 easy, but my aoe is terrible so I don't kill everything in time. Unless I'm missing something

As holy I just run out of mana as there's no break between rounds. Again, getting to 5/5 and tank just melts

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Just got poundfist. My brother was afk pooping when it spawned and i wasn't able to get him there in time since we were at different spawns though :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished Shadowmoon at almost 93 o_O

off to Gogrond I go then

Rhaknar

I dont understand these work orders, so im basically trading dust for crystal fragments as a enchanter?

and trading fur for cloth as a tailor?

Tarazet

Anyone got any advice for the proving grounds as a priest? I can't even do it on bronze :s

As shadow I get to 5/5 easy, but my aoe is terrible so I don't kill everything in time. Unless I'm missing something

As holy I just run out of mana as there's no break between rounds. Again, getting to 5/5 and tank just melts

As far as Holy, you should be using Serenity chakra and keeping your targets up mainly with Renew, HW:S and a Heal here or there. Use AoE heals sparingly; let Renew heal them up over time instead if they aren't in danger. For Shadow, you've got to multidot. Keep Pain up on everything and build up orbs by using Mind Blast on cooldown with SW:D to pick off weaklings. There aren't enough targets up in Silver to justify Mind Sear.

Tamanon

Banned
I dont understand these work orders, so im basically trading dust for crystal fragments as a enchanter?

and trading fur for cloth as a tailor?

Yup. You're trading them for items you can only make daily with the profession itself. Items used in the big crafting stuff. Basically letting you make epic stuff without the profession, or make it twice as fast with it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I definitely hope garrisons don't return in the next expansion. For everything good I have to say about this expansion, I honestly dislike garrisons greatly. Putting sense of responsibility to checking up on it aside, I think it just reinforces this 'single player game' aspect of WoW which was something Blizzard didn't want. What I mean is it's odd that Blizzard said 'no flying because we want to add more sense of community and danger' but then added garrisons that a lot of people spend all their time in which directly contradicts their goal. I don't like what it does to the crafting systems, and I definitely don't like what it does to gathering. I don't like that most people feel compelled to keep up with it and its constant bars and followers and farmville cooldowns because it gives you a chance at great gear. I like the idea of being able to find gear through other means, but it feels almost mandatory to anyone who is trying to take gearing seriously.

It's probably a 9/10 expansion for me, but the more I play it the more I realize that garrisons are the 1 keeping it from being a 10.

royalan

I don't think there's anything wrong with Garrisons contributing to the solo content of WoW. After all, a lot of us play WoW solo.

In fact, a HUGE complaint I had about WoW up until maybe Cata was that it seemed like all of the juicy, really interesting stuff in WoW was being horded in the end-game group content.

Rhaknar

http://www.wowhead.com/garrison-calc#G2qCIQMBI0E10BReFiIBcaGAgBkoOz0D8dQ0AFEq

This would be my suggestion then, with the building levels not factoring in, and is pretty much my Garrison minus the small profession buildings. I'll go through the basics/must haves.

Small - Tailor/Enchanter is a no brainer if you're already a Tailor/Enchanter. Work Orders will help you out a lot and you'll get tons of use out of it. I like the Salvage Yard a lot because it gives lots of small goodies, though it can be a bit random. If you like, you can replace the Salvage with a 3rd Profession building or a Storehouse.

Medium - The Tavern is a pretty solid choice for people like us, who just enjoy casually playing the game and exploring the flavor of the world. The Tavern is perfect for this because it gives you quests from a lot of the popular NPCs you may remember from the 1-60 zones as well as some old favorites and some newcomers. You get pretty decent rewards from the actual quests, and some great Toys and items to play with. Then you have the Lumber Mill, and you either want to have that or a Trading Post to get your Garrison Resources flowing.

Large - War Mill/Bunker here is close to mandatory I think, if you want to engage with the end-game Follower game. Being one of the only sources of getting follower enhancements, it is absolutely needed to advance through the 630+ ilvls for your followers. The second building is a bit of a preference/convenience thing, as I don't fancy the Spirit Lodge/Mage Tower at all, and if you aren't really PvPing, the Workshop isn't that great. I would consider the Stables for the convenience factor, but in the end the Barracks wins out for me just for the +5 followers and the fact that Patrol missions are almost a must have if you got bad rolls on your followers and need to level them up.

At the end of the day though, Garrisons are fairly flexible, so long as you don't want to be at the cutting edge of 'progression' and don't mind waiting a week or so to catch up to where you would be if you made a different choice. Nothing you choose will ultimately affect you in the long run, with the ultimate price being some gold and time. I think.

friend of mine suggested lumber mill to get resources because you need alot later on, and you also mention it so ill get that.

I just did the Invasion quest in the garrison (the way you guys talk about invasions happening/not happening, I assume this quest is just to get a taste of them) and it was pretty hard, I almost died a few times

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I like the impact garrisons have on leveling, and stuff like recruiting followers you find through exploration and quests works really well. As a location it's also just a place I like hanging around. It kind of breaks apart at level cap though, when the returns feel negligible. Maintenance quickly becomes a burden rather than an activity. It doesn't really help that the garrison is so heavily tied to the busted crafting system, which sours the entire experience. It's also a piece that feels like it actively dissuades players from playing alt characters, and I almost wish there was just an option to share a garrison across an entire account.

I don't think cities or hubs really push character interaction, so it's pretty hard to miss standing around in a capital hub.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Ready to fuck shit up
wowscrnshot_112914_14opkus.jpg

Rhaknar

any Shadow Priests around? Im having a ton of fun with it, muhc more than expected (was just a lvling crutch to go holy I thought, but now im not sure) but I cant decide in the second to last tier, they all semm fucking SHIT.

I mean the Cascade, Halo and Something star spells.

ZenaxPure

But two words for the south seas expac:

Guild. Boats.

If the next xpac really is eye of azshara and we get some south seas action, now that garrisons are a thing I will be heavily disappointed if we do not get our own pirate island and a fleet of ships to command around. Also while they're at it I want part of the world to just be a big open sea I can sail around and explore random islands AC4 style.

Rhaknar

semi-urgent question, this quest in Gorgrond early on, wants me to choose between building 2 outposts, and it sounds like i wont have access to part of the map, either in the north or south depending on what I choose?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Which followers are you guys increasing ilvl on? And how rare is a 645 mission after getting a 630 follower?

I'm focusing first on my epic followers, and then on having a good selection of abilities to choose from. Many of my epic followers are redundant, sadly, so I've leveled some over others, such as Ahm, with his Epic Mount trait. I have six 630+ followers and four 615+ followers. I see about two 630 and 615 missions on average. The important part, I believe, is to keep doing all of them as much as possible to get them to cycle.

I had a mission for a 645 trinket (which I bombed at 80% success rate fuck you RNGesus), and another one for a 645 wrist I'm sitting on until I'm good and ready.

Peachpies

semi-urgent question, this quest in Gorgrond early on, wants me to choose between building 2 outposts, and it sounds like i wont have access to part of the map, either in the north or south depending on what I choose?
it is not a big deal which one you choose, you will have access to the whole map regardless of which one you choose but some quests will be different, with logging camp you can loot a bunch of treasures which gives a lot of garrison resources and with the sparring arena you get some special event things you can do but you can change your building later.

Rhaknar

it is not a big deal which one you choose, you will have access to the whole map regardless of which one you choose but some quests will be different, with logging camp you can loot a bunch of treasures which gives a lot of garrison resources and with the sparring arena you get some special event things you can do but you can change your building later.

oh well went with logging camp

enchanting is so weird now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know they want to keep Blood Elves 'mostly the same' because their models hold up well, but they desperately need to fix the male's sprinting animation. Holy shit is it bad.

FeD.nL

Got my Shaman to 100, enjoy healing so far though it seems that other classes have a much easier time healing. So in that light went back to power level my DK through Pandaria and holy shit Blood DK is amazing. Currently level 92 but I really enjoy it so far. Last time I tanked was Cata HC's, and that was challenging. How do the WoD HC's compare tanking wise?

Haly

Fun. Gets progressively easier as you gear up but there's always Challenge Mode if you want to feel pain.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Looking to maybe come back to the game next week once my new laptop is here. Haven't even looked at it since 2012.

So I have a bunch of questions. Whats the best caster class going right now both in terms of ability and in terms of actually being fun? I really have never liked playing melee outside of Rogue and Enh Sham and I don't like Hunters. Wasn't a fan of the main Boomkin mechanic and it doesn't look like thats changed much? Was thinking Shadow Priest or Ele Sham but have no idea if there are any completely broken classes/specs right now.

And do realms still matter? My old guild is dead and I don't actually know anybody playing outside of a few people who are all on different realms. I noticed they added in a ton of cross realm functionality. Guess I'd reroll wherever because I'll be starting from level 1 for fun anyway.

And is there any website or whatever that can catch me up to speed as to whats changed in the game over the last few years in terms of new features and the like?

Rhaknar

level 93, almost 94 and still havent done a dungeon :(

I tried to queue but I couldnt, but on the specific dungeon panel it says while im not eligible for the second one, I am for the first so I dunno wtf is going on

Atlantis

I know they want to keep Blood Elves 'mostly the same' because their models hold up well, but they desperately need to fix the male's sprinting animation. Holy shit is it bad.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the new animations are what most excite me about the new models. Most Blood Elf animations have always looked a little odd to me.

Today's thought while I was collecting resources from ye ole Garrison.

'Lantressor what the fuck are you doing out here why aren't you at the Mine like I asked?'

I have become a merciless tyrant. Nobody is allowed to idle. If you are not working or on a mission and I don't see evidence of your constant and enthusiastic engagement with my own personal enrichment, you are a waste of flesh and I will deactivate you.

Haly

I use Shadowuf and I also have power "bars".

ibroUWDqDf3Mym.png

Seems like a standard feature of unit frame suites.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If the next xpac really is eye of azshara and we get some south seas action, now that garrisons are a thing I will be heavily disappointed if we do not get our own pirate island and a fleet of ships to command around. Also while they're at it I want part of the world to just be a big open sea I can sail around and explore random islands AC4 style.

Be still my beating heart! That sounds amazing.

Overall I think garrisons are cool but there's so much stuff now that you miss out on if you don't log in daily and I dislike that because I have exactly the type of addictive personality who can't not, and it leads to me burning myself out sooner or later when I finally say "fuck all this aggravation". It honestly gives me anxiety when I think about not using my garrison time efficiently in terms of always having followers on missions, mining/herb gathering daily, doing my daily crafts, getting/setting up new work orders, all that. It's too much and I think that kind of design is also kind of gross/unethical, because it encourages pretty unhealthy player behavior and is designed to be addictive. I just wish it were more flexible. Let me set up a follower who does my mining for me if I don't log in or something, or let me automate follower missions to a degree, something that I don't feel required to log in at least once or twice a day.

edit: I'm completely aware of how manipulative the design is, yet I have 2 level 100s and am constantly fretting about my garrison. Make of that what you will.

Trickster

Does anyone know what specs are important for WoW? I have a pc with a a i5 2500k cpu, 970 gtx, 16 gb ram and an ssd. And I get roughly 40-70 fps on everything maxed except 2 things on high. The weird thing is this framerate doesn't really change more than maybe 10 frames if I run standard 1080p resolution, or 3620x2036 resolution.

Another thing the kinda perplexes me about my framerate is that I have 2 friends, both have a better cpu, and one have a slighty worse gpu. They both get a solid 100+ fps with their settings which is 1080p resolution and high/ultra options. But if I try to replicate their settings, my framerate still doesn't really change from the 40-70 fps I mentioned above.

So yeah, anyone know what could be causing these kind of results? Really the main thing that is weird to me is how I can have a gigantic reoslution difference and still have pretty much the same performance, I've never seen that happen in another game like this.

Edit - Regarding challenge mode dungeons, is grim rail just a very easy challenge mode dungeon compared to the other challenge dungeons? Seemed way easier than the few others I have tried so far

Peachpies

Be still my beating heart! That sounds amazing.

Overall I think garrisons are cool but there's so much stuff now that you miss out on if you don't log in daily and I dislike that because I have exactly the type of addictive personality who can't not, and it leads to me burning myself out sooner or later when I finally say "fuck all this aggravation". It honestly gives me anxiety when I think about not using my garrison time efficiently in terms of always having followers on missions, mining/herb gathering daily, doing my daily crafts, getting/setting up new work orders, all that. It's too much and I think that kind of design is also kind of gross/unethical, because it encourages pretty unhealthy player behavior and is designed to be addictive. I just wish it were more flexible. Let me set up a follower who does my mining for me if I don't log in or something, or let me automate follower missions to a degree, something that I don't feel required to log in at least once or twice a day.
You don't miss out on much if you don't do your mine/herb every day. When you have you garrison buildings at a higher level you don't have to set new work orders everyday and you get new follower missions even when logged off to do when you get on. Some stuff like daily profession cooldowns are actually broken and are suppose to (and did for a little bit) build up to 3 charges if you don't use one every day.

Edit - Regarding challenge mode dungeons, is grim rail just a very easy challenge mode dungeon compared to the other challenge dungeons? Seemed way easier than the few others I have tried so far
iron docks is one of the easier ones and it has a very forgiving timer for bronze

Tacitus_

Got my Shaman to 100, enjoy healing so far though it seems that other classes have a much easier time healing. So in that light went back to power level my DK through Pandaria and holy shit Blood DK is amazing. Currently level 92 but I really enjoy it so far. Last time I tanked was Cata HC's, and that was challenging. How do the WoD HC's compare tanking wise?

Comparing to (launch) Cataclysm: standing in shit will kill you about as fast, but you don't need so much CC to survive and can take normal packs easily without CC if you rotate some minor CDs or aoe stuns/knockdowns/disorients and what not.

Top Bottom