• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

cdyhybrid

MRUnCnU.jpg

:O

Ashodin

Yeah I'm looking for an invitation to that today. Getting in on the Brawler's Guild and doing Pet Battles for the first time.

Apt101

Does anyone know what specs are important for WoW? I have a pc with a a i5 2500k cpu, 970 gtx, 16 gb ram and an ssd. And I get roughly 40-70 fps on everything maxed except 2 things on high. The weird thing is this framerate doesn't really change more than maybe 10 frames if I run standard 1080p resolution, or 3620x2036 resolution.

Another thing the kinda perplexes me about my framerate is that I have 2 friends, both have a better cpu, and one have a slighty worse gpu. They both get a solid 100+ fps with their settings which is 1080p resolution and high/ultra options. But if I try to replicate their settings, my framerate still doesn't really change from the 40-70 fps I mentioned above.

So yeah, anyone know what could be causing these kind of results? Really the main thing that is weird to me is how I can have a gigantic reoslution difference and still have pretty much the same performance, I've never seen that happen in another game like this.

Edit - Regarding challenge mode dungeons, is grim rail just a very easy challenge mode dungeon compared to the other challenge dungeons? Seemed way easier than the few others I have tried so far

I'm no expert on GPU's and such, but I know different GPU's and combinations of drivers, and other factors, can get different results. I have an i7-4790s, 12 GB of RAM, GTX 660 OC, and a RAID 1 mirror running (both SATA III, 7200 RPM), and I get about 100 FPS in the world, 70 FPS during fights, and it can dip down to 50 FPS when there is a lot going on. All on the highest settings and 1080p. My pal has a significantly weaker system, AMD based, but constantly gets around 90 FPS no matter what's going on.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Kind of sad raids are opening soon. I don't do them due to not being able to schedule myself for a game at night. Right now I am ilvl 635. Kind of nice being super decked out for a change :)

Are normal raids pugable? I might start doing them now that there is a group finder. Seems like it would be easy to find a group using that. I used to like (lol) doing LFR, but it looks like they removed a lot from that.

vocab

Does anyone know what specs are important for WoW? I have a pc with a a i5 2500k cpu, 970 gtx, 16 gb ram and an ssd. And I get roughly 40-70 fps on everything maxed except 2 things on high. The weird thing is this framerate doesn't really change more than maybe 10 frames if I run standard 1080p resolution, or 3620x2036 resolution.

Another thing the kinda perplexes me about my framerate is that I have 2 friends, both have a better cpu, and one have a slighty worse gpu. They both get a solid 100+ fps with their settings which is 1080p resolution and high/ultra options. But if I try to replicate their settings, my framerate still doesn't really change from the 40-70 fps I mentioned above.

So yeah, anyone know what could be causing these kind of results? Really the main thing that is weird to me is how I can have a gigantic reoslution difference and still have pretty much the same performance, I've never seen that happen in another game like this.

Edit - Regarding challenge mode dungeons, is grim rail just a very easy challenge mode dungeon compared to the other challenge dungeons? Seemed way easier than the few others I have tried so far

No one gets 100+ fps in a populated city. No one. I went from a i5-750 to a 4790k, and there is honestly little to no change. Maybe a better minimum frame rate, and better handling of addons, but it didnt change at all. 40 man raids seem a bit smoother, but ya, at the end of the day, the engine limitations do nothing for better processors.

Also the 9 series drivers are not matured. The latest ones are buggy as shit even though they increase performance in wow by a little bit.

ZenaxPure

That boss sucked sooo much with the caster mobility nerfs.

For what it's worth he has a ridiculously small hitbox as well so he can be annoying as melee. I'm just glad he was early on this time around because it made him a lot easier to deal with since the gear requirements weren't as high.

Yeah I'm looking for an invitation to that today.

Did they make them harder to get or something? Super easy to grab one in MoP so when I got mine the other day for hitting rank 4 I sort of didn't care and just left it in my mail box. Maybe i should try to AH it.

Are normal raids pugable? I might start doing them now that there is a group finder. Seems like it would be easy to find a group using that. I used to like (lol) doing LFR, but it looks like they removed a lot from that.

Assuming normal is tuned like flex SoO was (which I don't see why it wouldn't be) it is meant to be puggable. Basically fights have all the same mechanics they have on normal (or what is heroic now) but the numbers are scaled to be more forgiving.

Trickster

Kind of sad raids are opening soon. I don't do them due to not being able to schedule myself for a game at night. Right now I am ilvl 635. Kind of nice being super decked out for a change :)

Just join a raiding guild as a social member, most raiding guilds tend to do alt raids on off days. Most likely you would be able to join those whenever your schedule is open for it, especially now that normal and heroic raids are flexible in size

TheYanger

For what it's worth he has a ridiculously small hitbox as well so he can be annoying as melee. I'm just glad he was early on this time around because it made him a lot easier to deal with since the gear requirements weren't as high.

Did they make them harder to get or something? Super easy to grab one in MoP so when I got mine the other day for hitting rank 4 I sort of didn't care and just left it in my mail box. Maybe i should try to AH it.

Assuming normal is tuned like flex SoO was (which I don't see why it wouldn't be) it is meant to be puggable. Basically fights have all the same mechanics they have on normal (or what is heroic now) but the numbers are scaled to be more forgiving.

the invitations have value again. The one I got from hitting rank 4 again sold for like 2k almost instantly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've been doing pretty regular rare mob Pandaria runs for Brawler's Guild invites and I keep coming up empty. The worst part is that I have a quest for killing one of the BG bosses just taunting me.

Apt101

I've been doing pretty regular rare mob Pandaria runs for Brawler's Guild invites and I keep coming up empty. The worst part is that I have a quest for killing one of the BG bosses just taunting me.

Kill the ogres in the Ring of Blood. They drop invites, and also primals and apexis. Inside, not the outcasts outside of it.

Guesong

Hey all, I've done a good deal of looking around and I can't figure out what this mod is, see below:

Changes holy power or other alt powers to a series of bars instead of icons in Pitbull. Any clue what it is? I've tried this: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/pitbull4_holypowerbar but I can't figure out how to get dividers in, if it's even possible.

Looks like ElvUI to me.

I'm sure there's a specific add-on the creator used for that, but I'm betting you could find out on his site.

dimb

Kill the ogres in the Ring of Blood. They drop invites, and also primals and apexis. Inside, not the outcasts outside of it.
Oh, thanks, that was actually really fast. Killed a few until the rare Eviscerator guy popped up and he dropped it right away.

Also, this item seems super broken right now. I guess you can abuse it in battlegrounds and stuff too.

Rokam

Did the whole rare mount vendor showing up randomly if you have level 3 stables get scrapped? Need to determine whether or not to replace stables once I finish the achievement.

docbon

Started playing wow for the first time after that $5 sale, and it seems pretty dope so far. My biggest beef is with these first few dungeons. Tanked five of them so far, but I had literally no idea what any of the mechanics were for any of the bosses because they were getting vaporized within seconds. Is this consistent until level cap?

I feel like I'm being set up for failure later because I can't get a good grasp of how to tank effectively simply because the encounters don't last long enough.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Started playing wow for the first time after that $5 sale, and it seems pretty dope so far. My biggest beef is with these first few dungeons. Tanked five of them so far, but I had literally no idea what any of the mechanics were for any of the bosses because they were getting vaporized within seconds. Is this consistent until level cap?

I feel like I'm being set up for failure later because I can't get a good grasp of how to tank effectively simply because the encounters don't last long enough.

At this point people are more interested in getting them done for xp than a meaningful encounter they have to learn and rely on other random people to do their job.

They also probably have heirlooms, which are items bought at max level for alts to do more damage on low level characters.

But once you hit level 90 and do dungeons you will do real fights with real mechanics. WoW has always only made the latest expansion relevant, so until you get there it's going to be tank and spank.

You are going to need some very patient groups at level 90 once you start doing proper dungeons. One of the major faults of the game is that you have little incentive to actually learn how to play in a group and when you do, you're in a group with four others who likely never experienced a real 5-man challenge in their lives. At the first death they will blame the tank, never mind that the tank likely never got a chance to learn how to use all of their buttons. Never mind that nobody uses CC anymore. Never mind that nobody is an invincible level 90 blowing through heroics in 8 minutes like they used to anymore. No, it's someone else's fault. Arguing ensues.

mileS

Damn the stables level 3 is 1200 resources.. are all the large building that expensive? Didn't seem like it at first glance. I'm at the point where I can upgrade but im having second thoughts considering I was planning on replacing it after I got the 2 bonus mounts anyway.

Damn the stables level 3 is 1200 resources.. are all the large building that expensive? Didn't seem like it at first glance. I'm at the point where I can upgrade but im having second thoughts considering I was planning on replacing it after I got the 2 bonus mounts anyway.

They're all that expensive at level 3.

Heh I just upgraded my War Mill to level 3 (already have my Barracks at level 3) and still have about 2000 resources.

TheYanger

Did the whole rare mount vendor showing up randomly if you have level 3 stables get scrapped? Need to determine whether or not to replace stables once I finish the achievement.

Not sure about that specifically, but if he exists and it's like the tavern you can just drag it around between plots and re-trigger rare spawn chances

In everything I've seen about the Stables that's not something I've seen any mention of.

With the stables you'll train six mounts. At tier 2 stables there's an item in the stables you can click to add to your inventory that will make the mounts movement 25% slower and I believe take 25% more damage. This affects only the six training mounts summoned by whistles. Beat six specific elites while using that item with all six mounts (36 fights total) to get another mount and achievement.

At tier 3 stables there's a new item with 50% reduction instead of 25% and doing the same 36 fights will give another mount and achievement.

After that you can safely get rid of the stables if you don't care about the other passive perks.

KAP151

I just bought WoD after being out of WoW for ~3 years. I logged into my Shaman and saw I was Enhancement. What is the way to go now? Also, I completely forgot how to play. :(

Shamwows are pretty gimped right now along with a few other classes. If you dont want to heal, your better off staying as is. Ele is god awful.

Trying to figure out what talents and glyphs I should use. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Right now I'm using -

Major:
Glyph of Feral Spirit - Healing from spirit wolves increased by 40%
Glyph of Flame Shock - Flame shock heals for 45% of damage dealth
Glyph of Fire Elemental - Halves the cooldown and duration of Fire Elemental

Minor:
Glyph of Astral Recall - Reduces cooldown by 5 minutes
Glyph of the Lakestrider - Ghost wolf gets instant Water Walking
Glyph of Ghostly Speed - Ghost wolf is 60% faster when not cast in combat and not in arenas or battlegrounds.

Those major ones wouldn't be ideal for every situation but I do a lot of solo content and old raids and generally just prefer having more survivability. That's doubly so with this expansion where I feel like regular enemies at level 100 pose threats to me so I have to be more careful about health.

Fire Elemental is good because it allows for ease in timing its use and you can pop it more freely even during trash and other fights because it'll be up more frequently.

The minor ones are really the best in terms of convenience in my opinion. Recently started using Ghostly Speed and I can't imagine ever removing that. I do a lot of hearthing while farming Warbringers so astral recall is also good. Lakestrider comes in handy often, especially when just needing to cross some water while questing and remounting isn't really required. With the boosted speed from Ghostly Speed it's almost equal anyhow.

I honestly don't keep up with what talents are considered best. From the top I use:
Astral Shift (use this often)
Windwalk Totem (used to use often, haven't used much this expansion so far)
Totemic Projection (took awhile but I use this all the time about halfway through MoP to now)
Ancestral Swiftness (really boring talent as I just use it for the passive)
Ancestral Guidance (seems much less impactful now but probably best for enhance still)
Primal Elementalist (was rated the best during MoP and I'm familiar with it and do actively use primal earth elemental taunts for saving bad situations)
Liquid Magma (tried all three this expansion. Don't like Storm Elemental at all as it seems extremely weak and not useful for healing. Elemental Fusion adds a little to rotation consideration maybe but it's really just a passive damage buff. I like Liquid Magma as it's good for AoE and also some decent damage you can trigger as needed).

I'm far from an expert this expansion as I haven't really "dug deep" yet.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Can't get a group good enough to complete UBRS CM. Many wipes. Going to heroic after feels like child's play.
What's the 2nd hardest CM?

Fjordson

Oh snap, finally got an invasion quest! Only got bronze though.

Still not sure exactly how they work or what I did to trigger it.

Oh snap, finally got an invasion quest! Only got bronze though.

Still not sure exactly how they work or what I did to trigger it.

Apparently there's a hidden meter for different factions, that's filled up as you kill them-IE doing the apexis dailies, let's say you get the Shattrath invasion one, you kill those guys and their meter fills up. When you kill a certain amount, you get an invasion from them.

Edit-Holy crap I got Avianas Feather. It's honestly the best thing ever, holy crap.

vocab

Someone hook me up with some updated brewmaster weakauras. Most of the ones on the internet are broken for wod.

Thanks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt like Gorgrond AT ALL. I ddint do half the map (I assume because of the outpost choice) and the last scenario just came out of nowhere and just send me all the way to the north, didnt even uncover the map/zone there, and now its sending me back to the garrison

I dont know if im supposed to explore the map to find more quest hubs, wow usually just sends you to them, nor do I really care tbh, im 95 and Talador says its 95-96 so im just going to move on.

Im still waiting for this amazing lvling experience people said WoD had, Shadowmoon was ok, it wasnt bad but it was far from amazing, and Gorgrond was just awful.

On a plus side, I did Iron Docks and the mines dungeons and those were fun, even tho in iron docks the tank just kept pulling a million mobs and dying >_>

dimb

Im still waiting for this amazing lvling experience people said WoD had, Shadowmoon was ok, it wasnt bad but it was far from amazing, and Gorgrond was just awful.
What are the WoW zones that you like?

cdyhybrid

I didnt like Gorgrond AT ALL. I ddint do half the map (I assume because of the outpost choice) and the last scenario just came out of nowhere and just send me all the way to the north, didnt even uncover the map/zone there, and now its sending me back to the garrison

I dont know if im supposed to explore the map to find more quest hubs, wow usually just sends you to them, nor do I really care tbh, im 95 and Talador says its 95-96 so im just going to move on.

On a plus side, I did Iron Docks and the mines dungeons and those were fun, even tho in iron docks the tank just kept pulling a million mobs and dying >_>

My favorite zones were Frostfire (which you don't get because you're a dirty Alliance player) and Spires of Arak.

Top Bottom