• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

Which is funny because their population is miniscule compared to the people that will use lfr

Yep. And yet I feel like Blizzard put more weight into what those guys say.

Garrosh not dropping Heirlooms in SoO LFR and now T17 being exclusive to the serious raids feels like a step in that direction too. LFR was already missing titles, pets, mounts and achievements..

(C'mon, PETS? Screw you Blizzard.)

Arkhanor

How you Warlock (Destruction) guys are doing to get embers after that hotfix that nerfed Rain of Fire? Conflag and Incinerate only? I still didn't figured out a new rotation because I'm waiting to get Warlords of Draenor (which will probably happen today) and I'm think of going Demonology for my dual spec.

Garrosh not dropping Heirlooms in SoO LFR and now T17 being exclusive to the serious raids feels like a step in that direction too. LFR was already missing titles, pets, mounts and achievements..

That was a travesty of justice my friend.

Especially when you consider it was easier to kill him in an organized, raiding guild with communication. Compared to the crap shoot that is pick up groups

Lanrutcon

How you Warlock (Destruction) guys are doing to get embers after that hotfix that nerfed Rain of Fire? Conflag and Incinerate only? I still didn't figured out a new rotation because I'm waiting to get Warlords of Draenor (which will probably happen today) and I'm think of going Demonology for my dual spec.

Yup. Ember regeneration got kicked in the ass. We're doing less damage now than we did before that patch. Blizzard are clueless. Oh, and we can't aoe for shit anymore unless we spec Cataclysm and get lucky with ember generation.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Pretty sure I got the pet from Horridon in LFR. I never did the normal version of that raid.

Arkhanor

Yup. Ember regeneration got kicked in the ass. We're doing less damage now than we did before that patch. Blizzard are clueless. Oh, and we can't aoe for shit anymore unless we spec Cataclysm and get lucky with ember generation.

Yeah, 60% less damage from Rain of Fire is a sad thing. I'm going to research and test some things (hopefully today) to see if I can still be relevant haha.

mclem

How much should I upgrade my epic followers' weapon and armor (ilvl) before starting leveling my other followers?

I've actually updated the weapons and armour of rare followers first. Reasoning: They actually *benefit* from high-XP quests at 615, so I plan upgrades based on a given quest to get as many greens or blues onto the quest as possible. Provided you have the counters, they'll still succeed.

Besides, I only rolled one random epic follower while levelling, so I have a lot of blues and greens to upgrade. And I really need to upgrade them quickly so I've got some dual-counter characters in play.

StayDead

:lol oh man, it's totally coming. "LFM NORMAL 655+ - LINK MYTHIC ACHIEVE"

I saw someone earlier asking for 638+ and the Challenge Warlords Bronze achievement (every single CM bronze or better) for the CM daily. Like wtf. People get completely out of control with that stuff, it's awful.

Item level was the worst thing they ever added to the game and it all started with that stupid gearscore addon in Wrath.

StayDead

I joined late in MoP after raiding in top guilds all the way from TBC to Cataclysm and I couldn't get into a pug for normal SoO with full LFR gear, because people wanted like 580+. The people who have 580+ have already cleared SoO normal and don't even need it anymore (this was before the boosted heirloom rates) so why stop me, someone who clearly has the brains to do the instance doing it because a number isn't high enough. I could probably outheal most of those people with the higher ilvl anyway despite my gear :\

Karl Hawk

Banned
Item level was the worst thing they ever added to the game and it all started with that stupid gearscore addon in Wrath.
I disagree. I think it's a cool method whether you're raid-ready or not.

It just happens that some people are being asshole in regards to item level

And before you say it, I know there's a ton of people who has high ilvl but still suck.

strafer

But then again iLevel doesn't mean much.

You can have the best gear and still suck. I've had plenty of players in BiS and had them being last on DPS, so I wouldn't put much faith in iLevels.

Robin64

If ilvl was in vanilla, they certainly never displayed the info.

talismanofbindingshard580.jpg

StayDead

But then again iLevel doesn't mean much.

You can have the best gear and still suck. I've had plenty of players in BiS and had them being last on DPS, so I wouldn't put much faith in iLevels.

I don't. I know for a fact I could have outhealed most of those people with me being in LFR gear, but I'll be damned if it allowed me to ever get in a group on OpenRaid or in game for normal. I only got the Garrosh heirloom when I completed SoO on normal (heroic at this point) for the first time once they'd already removed the mount and my guild were boosting, I managed to tag along.

I know they do alt/friend rank runs in my guild which I'll try and get in on this expansion more, but I don't really have the time in the evenings to sit without needing to go constantly afk anymore, which sucks as I actually enjoy raiding :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why are they trying to make herbalism a thing tailors require? In fact, I've noticed a lot of completely unrelated profession mats stuck onto new crafting material.

Robin64

Why are they trying to make herbalism a thing tailors require? In fact, I've noticed a lot of completely unrelated profession mats stuck onto new crafting material.

Want to be an alchemist? Hope you like fishing!
Tailor? Enjoy herbalising!

Lots of crossovers this time. Professions in WoD are.. weird.

Lanrutcon

Don't panic like I did: your garrison's herb garden will provide enough. At level 2 it provides too much, at level 3 the gains are insane. You'll have so many herbs you won't know what the hell to do with them. Bonus points if you assign a follower with Herbalism to the garden: then you can specify which herbs are to be grown.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ilvl has always existed, it's something intrinsically built into any game like this with stats. TCG players are familiar with a similar value mechanic for card values. It wasn't displayed or cared about in vanilla, but we hardcore always theorycrafted around gear stat distribution with the same formula. In TBC is actually when sites like wowhead/thottbot began displaying the calculated ilvl for items, and in WOTLK is when it hit the casual masses.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That reminds me, why isn't there a skinning equivalent in your garrison? You get free daily ores and herbs but not furs/skins?

Lanrutcon

That reminds me, why isn't there a skinning equivalent in your garrison? You get free daily ores and herbs but not furs/skins?

There's a fuckton of stuff I'd like in my garrison, like portals to old content, cases to display rare armor and weapons, pens to display rare mounts...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There's a fuckton of stuff I'd like in my garrison, like portals to old content, cases to display rare armor and weapons, pens to display rare mounts...
The archeology stuff you put up on display doesn't even show up for other people visiting your garrison.

lazygecko

The archeology stuff you put up on display doesn't even show up for other people visiting your garrison.

Evidently garrisons were not designed for multiple people in mind.

My hope is that they can iterate upon this tech in a future expansion and really make it social somehow.

Bizazedo

Besides, I only rolled one random epic follower while levelling, so I have a lot of blues and greens to upgrade. And I really need to upgrade them quickly so I've got some dual-counter characters in play.

My main had zero epic followers until Millhouse and only a few rares.

My two alts, each, have had epic and mostly rare followers. 7 or less followers for the two of them (just garrison level 2 on each) and one has two epic followers, the other one. A flood of blue.

The difference is so huge, it feels intentional, but y'know RNG....

I have 2 100's. My Mage was leveled first and procc'd epic and rare upgrades on more than half of his followers. My druid was not so fortunate. 1 epic and like 3 rares is all he got out of the 20 followers.

I shrugged it off but I now realized how much that can fuck a garrison's progression. :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have a Stables daily asking me to go in Frostfire Ridge as Alliance, but when i went there yesterday, there was a huge amount of rocks blocking the only path that would allow me to reach the objective. How do I destroy that? There's a machine right in front of it, but you can't click it.

Won

I have a Stables daily asking me to go in Frostfire Ridge as Alliance, but when i went there yesterday, there was a huge amount of rocks blocking the only path that would allow me to reach the objective. How do I destroy that? There's a machine right in front of it, but you can't click it.

There should be a tunnel/hole in the middle.

StMeph

Spent most of the holiday weekend trying to camp Poundfist, and came close a few times, but still no mount. Looks like I won't have the chance again to camp seriously until Christmas break, unless there are some favorable timing windows during a weekend to camp.

On another note, are there any good places to farm for Iron Horde Scraps? I know early on in the expansion they were really easy, but it was quickly nerfed into the ground. I soloed Iron Docks on Normal and had some success with about 30 pieces, but it still seems pretty slow.

There's a pretty small hole to get through those rocks. I missed it too the first time I tried to go through.

Shahadan

There is a path carved inside.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And how is it that Blizzard has implemented both a personal loot system and the toybox and still gives me toys i've already learned? Surely that wouldn't be a hard thing to fix.

Daniel R

On the left hand side of that cliff face when facing it is a tunnel.

Ultratech

New nitpick, my mainhand poison falls off every time I switch talents. This really fucks me up during heroics as I'm used to just doing it. It used to only fall of when I switched from paralytic poison and back.

At least it didn't cost me my Leeroy run, it nearly did :(

Same thing happens to me for Trap Launcher.

It turns off if I switch specs and it annoys the hell out of me.

How much should I upgrade my epic followers' weapon and armor (ilvl) before starting leveling my other followers?

Supposedly, the idea is to get an actual weapon/armor set (i.e. a Token that will set Item Level to 615, 630, 645), then start using the Enhancements to get more out of them.

Something to keep in mind is that once you get ~2-3 followers to a selected "tier" (like 615, 630, etc.), you'll start getting more missions from that tier.

So there's not much point in boosting up just 1-2 followers if the rest of them can't complete the higher-level missions.

mileS

I used to agree that ilvl was dumb solution and hurt things as a whole but now I don't know *shrugs* its quick and easy. Linking achievements doesn't mean much each considering how some players get carried. Proving grounds should be expanded imo, that would be a good judge of a players skill or awareness. What do yall think?

Mupod

Hit 99 last night after binging on Spires of Arak quests - Arrakoa lore was poorly represented in BC and I always felt like I was missing something. Nice to finally get everything explained.

I'm planning out my Garrison upgrades now, I currently have Barracks, Tavern, Alchemy, and Enchanting. I'm herb/alch and would like to start pumping out flasks at some point, enchanting is to DE all my quest gear - might swap it to something else later.

I'm expecting to do a lot of PVP so I guess the gladiator building is a must. Not sure what to go with for my other plots. The salvage one seems nice since I'm focusing heavily on my followers.

So that leaves the large building. War Mill almost feels like the no-brainer here - better follower gear and more loot rolls in raids both seem useful.

I'm curious about the stables, does that 20% move speed work in Ashran? How about the runes of power or goblin workshop stuff?

I don't care about mounts, pets, or transmog crap. If I transmog to anything it'll be my old tier 6 stuff, and I like my ZA bear.

StMeph

I used to agree that ilvl was dumb solution and hurt things as a whole but now I don't know *shrugs* its quick and easy. Linking achievements doesn't mean much each considering how some players get carried. Proving grounds should be expanded imo, that would be a good judge of a players skill or awareness. What do yall think?

Players are always going to be judged for one thing or another, especially as most people prefer a smooth dungeon/raid run to one that's not.

Before item levels/gear score was instituted, people were judged for other reasons, and even way back in ye olde days of vanilla, when you PMed people to make groups, there were ways to judge players. Pre-MC/dungeoning, people were filtered by character class, whether for loot exclusivity or group composition; their guild, if they were on a serious/raiding or no-name guild; and still their gear. There wasn't much /kicking of people in poor gear, but EVERYONE inspected everyone after meeting up at the dungeon anyway.

Bizazedo

I'm expecting to do a lot of PVP so I guess the gladiator building is a must. Not sure what to go with for my other plots. The salvage one seems nice since I'm focusing heavily on my followers.

So that leaves the large building. War Mill almost feels like the no-brainer here - better follower gear and more loot rolls in raids both seem useful.
I wish I had more info on the benefits of the Gladiator Sanctum after you have all the blue pvp gear. Does Conquest gear become possible? I dunno. The titles are nice and the Highmaul Tourney, sure, just curious if that's it once you get all the blue pvp gear.

War Mill insists on giving me Iron Horde scrap, no follower gear yet.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So this weekend I finally had time to actually level and it was surprisingly quick, i'd wager just doing quests I went from 90-100 in about 15 hours? Played for 10 hours on saturday and about 5 on sunday.

Pàcing was also fuckin excellent UNTIL SPIRES OF ARAK WHICH LASTED WAYYY TOO LONG. I should have just left that zone when I hit 99 but I really wanted to finish the story line and I ended up hitting 100 just as I was about to leave.

Now I really don't feel compelled to do Nagrand at all. Is there anything particularly important in Nagrand? I did the intro quests to get the garrison ability but nothing else, is it worth finishing up at all?

Giggzy

I started leveling my first alliance toon through Draenor over the weekend...

Their garrisons are much better looking than the horde counterparts. Everything has a nice flow to it. It's nice feeling civilized again :p

Krassus

True, and I'll get them done, just like with Siege stuff, but it's so obnoxious. People go way overboard with that shit.

@Challenge Modes

If you are Horde you can add me Luxury#1795, Im always looking for people to do CMs and do them daily. I always use my BNet to shout for friends CM groups too.

Mupod

So this weekend I finally had time to actually level and it was surprisingly quick, i'd wager just doing quests I went from 90-100 in about 15 hours? Played for 10 hours on saturday and about 5 on sunday.

Pàcing was also fuckin excellent UNTIL SPIRES OF ARAK WHICH LASTED WAYYY TOO LONG. I should have just left that zone when I hit 99 but I really wanted to finish the story line and I ended up hitting 100 just as I was about to leave.

Now I really don't feel compelled to do Nagrand at all. Is there anything particularly important in Nagrand? I did the intro quests to get the garrison ability but nothing else, is it worth finishing up at all?

I've only got half a level left myself but I was really looking forward to Nagrand - if nothing else, for nostalgia. I used to practically live in that zone in BC, mostly for fishing and random pvp. I got insanely rich off of primal water from fishing.

My friend insists that Nagrand is worth doing, so I'll be heading straight there when I get home. I noticed that you get valuable garrison upgrades from finishing certain storyline quests though, and I'm almost done with Talador. Maybe I should do that first.

StMeph

Which is funny because their population is miniscule compared to the people that will use lfr

LFR feels like a setting that Blizzard would rather never existed, but it's too popular not to keep around.

Flex seems like their preferred version of light raiding, hence the re-branding to the new Normal. It has reduced mechanics that still require coordination, but it's not nearly as tight as Normal-Heroic.

Top Bottom