• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

erawsd

So this weekend I finally had time to actually level and it was surprisingly quick, i'd wager just doing quests I went from 90-100 in about 15 hours? Played for 10 hours on saturday and about 5 on sunday.

Pàcing was also fuckin excellent UNTIL SPIRES OF ARAK WHICH LASTED WAYYY TOO LONG. I should have just left that zone when I hit 99 but I really wanted to finish the story line and I ended up hitting 100 just as I was about to leave.

Now I really don't feel compelled to do Nagrand at all. Is there anything particularly important in Nagrand? I did the intro quests to get the garrison ability but nothing else, is it worth finishing up at all?

You may need some of the quest reward/treasure before you can do heroics, i think you need ilvl 610. Theres a few high level followers. Also, If youre into the lore theres a few big story things that happen.

Bizazedo

Now I really don't feel compelled to do Nagrand at all. Is there anything particularly important in Nagrand? I did the intro quests to get the garrison ability but nothing else, is it worth finishing up at all?

If you have the War Mill, it can give you a jump on gearing as it helps in the chance quest loot is epic. And Nagrand has the highest level quests / rewards, so....

It also has the best cutscene (although, I really liked the Shattrath one with Blackhand, too).

lazygecko

I have way too many followers with the "Timed Battle" counter. That skill reshuffling thing is only capable of randomizing secondary attributes, right?

Saucy_XL

Banned
Welp bought Scabbard of Kyanos then a few days later open Lucky Double-Sided Coin from a salvage crate. Suddenly I feel a lot less guilty about that purchase.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You may need some of the quest reward/treasure before you can do heroics, i think you need ilvl 610. Theres a few high level followers. Also, If youre into the lore theres a few big story things that happen.

If you have the War Mill, it can give you a jump on gearing as it helps in the chance quest loot is epic. And Nagrand has the highest level quests / rewards, so....

It also has the best cutscene (although, I really liked the Shattrath one with Blackhand, too).

My ilevel is like 609 by now just from running a few normals but yeah I should probably go back and finish it, I would like to finish the rest of the story, after all I did finish every other zone to completion just to see the story. Besides I could always use new trinkets.

Also I could have sworn heroics needed ilevel 615 or something.

The shatt cutscene with the boats and stuff was also awesome

Entropia

No One Remembers

Better than the Shattrath one, eh? I should finish Nagrand!

Kacar

Got my ilvl uo to 635 ready for the raid tommorrow.

Was so close to buying that 665 off-hand for 30k but the first boss of Highmaul drops one so I couldn't bring myself to.

Should have another LW piece crafted by tommorrow also.

Mupod

I really need to grab some addons. Part of the problem is I keep thinking that I need an addon for X feature only to find out it's built into the UI now.

Things I mainly need as a cat druid are a timer mod (for buffs and debuffs), and something to show me my target's target. I remember I had something to show what they were attacking in a little window in the bottom right of their frame. If this is built-in now, I can't find it.

How do people feel about wild charge vs displacer beast for pvp? I feel like Displacer taking you out of prowl is going to kill it for me, as much fun as it is. I love using it to cancel fall damage and I bet it'd be good for running flags too. I could just say fuck it and go with the passive move speed buff, which would also give me some much-needed keybind space. Playing this class without an MMO mouse is like playing the goddamn piano and Claws of Shirvallah is going to make it even worse.

Bizazedo

Picked up the War Crimes book on my Kindle due to doing that leg of the Legendary questline and wondering "Garrosh killed
Kairoz, the Bronze we meet on Timeless Isle
with his hands bound how?" and figuring I'd read it. What the hell, CC's are all paid off and Black Friday deals were meh (did just get Inquisition and Shadows of Mordor, though).

Damn one click did me in, right after I did I saw it was written by Christie Golden.

I despise that author's writing and anyone who supports the person loses all credibility in my eyes.

Hyperbole, slight, but still.

Boogdud

So is LFR really not getting any form of T17? Like not even a lower ilvl version?

It's bad enough to get ghetto versions of tier gear, but to just completely cut lfr out from the sets and give them only to 'normal' raiders is kind of crappy.

I honestly think blizzard thought everyone who used to raid and hasn't played the game for years would suddenly buy WoD and re-join their raid group and gated T17 for that very reason. Well, those of us that left years ago, left because we got tired of the raiding game and all we have time for now is LFR.. Heck it's the only reason I play anymore. Looks like that might change as well if they keep marginalizing it further.

Robin64

Oddly, I was going through an area of Nagrand on my way to fight a bird for the stables daily, and it's the section where Outland has level 70 ogres above Shattrath. Well in Draenor, there are ghost ogres there called "Time-Lost Ogre" and the place is called "Time-Lost Glade". What was doubly odd though was a corpse of an orc called "Kairoz".

Robin64

So is LFR really not getting any form of T17? Like not even a lower ilvl version?

It's bad enough to get ghetto versions of tier gear, but to just completely cut lfr out from the sets and give them only to 'normal' raiders is kind of crappy.

There are generic sets for LFR with generic bonuses. For example, there's one plate set, with the 2P bonus being "Strength increased by 100" if you are dps, and "Bonus Armor increased by 125" if you're a tank, and "Spirit increased by 125" if you are a healer.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/10/23/warlords-of-draenor-lfr-gear-to-have-unique-set-bonuses/

TomServo

I honestly think blizzard thought everyone who used to raid and hasn't played the game for years would suddenly buy WoD and re-join their raid group and gated T17 for that very reason. Well, those of us that left years ago, left because we got tired of the raiding game and all we have time for now is LFR.. Heck it's the only reason I play anymore. Looks like that might change as well if they keep marginalizing it further.

I'm in this situation, and frankly it doesn't bother me.

I used to do progression raiding, including some server firsts in T7-T9, but I've come back off and on and seen Dragon Soul and the first tier in MoP thanks to LFR.

There's a plate set for my DK tank, and I'll get to see the content, albeit with major mechanics nerfed. That's a worthwhile trade off to not have to schedule three nights a week around progression raiding.

Boogdud

Yeah I suppose it's nice just to see the content. It would be nice to have a decent looking set to transmog though. Those lfr sets are just recolored pvp blue gear. :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I suppose it's nice just to see the content. It would be nice to have a decent looking set to transmog though. Those lfr sets are just recolored pvp blue gear. :(

Well considering how normal mode raids are supposed to be just as hard as flex raids used to be chances are you can probably just find groups for them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oddly, I was going through an area of Nagrand on my way to fight a bird for the stables daily, and it's the section where Outland has level 70 ogres above Shattrath. Well in Draenor, there are ghost ogres there called "Time-Lost Ogre" and the place is called "Time-Lost Glade". What was doubly odd though was a corpse of an orc called "Kairoz".

There's actually a pretty cool quest that takes place there.

Fjordson

Yeah, even as someone who does heroic, I don't really get the point of removing tier from LFR. It was already worse gear and there was already stuff missing from LFR compared to higher difficulties. I guess Blizz is trying to drag people into normal and above.

Robin64

Nah, they're not.

Raid Finder Plate Gear said:
draenorplatelfr.jpg

Current (Paldin) PvP Gear said:

Similar, but definitely different enough.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wouldn't have had a problem with LFR not getting tier gear aesthetically as a way to promote people to raid more seriously, but that's kind of nullified by the mythic gear looking different than the normal/heroic gear. So it's not like LFR makes the 'elitists' or whatever you might want to call people who care about that feel any less special about their gear. And I say this as a mythic raider.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm pretty sure the primary (or at least most legitimate) reason for removing tier, along with all non-LFR trinkets, from LFR is so that there's even less pushing normal+ raiders to feel forced into it. Tier bonuses and trinket procs tend to be pretty huge regardless of the ilvl difference, and raiders often felt they HAD to do LFR just to get those ASAP, even though they otherwise would have no interest in it.

Now that is no longer the case, and raiders are all the better for it.

StMeph

Time isn't as significant of a barrier now with how the new Normal/Heroic raids work, given the flexible raid sizes, no lockouts, and LFG tool. You can jump in and out of raids when and where you please, so the only difference now is difficulty level. The new Normal is what Blizzard's idea of baseline raiding should be, hence the re-branding. The mechanics actually matter while still providing nerfed mechanics and leeway for mistakes.

The area's relevant for the legendary quest chain. After you turn in the Apexis crystals and Teron'gor's blood, you visit Nagrand with Khadgar and Chromie to look for Kairoz and see some of the events with Garrosh as they happened in the past, ending in that glade.

Come on Yrel, you need inspiration for doing your job?

Blizzard really wants you to get attached to Yrel right? its not like Blizzard are going to kill anyone near to ....ohhh.....

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you transmog polearm = staff?

Interfectum

Yeah, even as someone who does heroic, I don't really get the point of removing tier from LFR. It was already worse gear and there was already stuff missing from LFR compared to higher difficulties. I guess Blizz is trying to drag people into normal and above.

They should be careful with how much they gimp LFR. That's going to be the only thing that keeps me subbed through next year but if they marginalize it too much I might bow out.

Draxal

Honestly, lfr was a disaster in seige of orgrimmar. I had too many wipes from Nazgrim lfr (and from dark Shamans) that it killed all interest of me playing wow for about a half a year.

Lanrutcon

They should be careful with how much they gimp LFR. That's going to be the only thing that keeps me subbed through next year but if they marginalize it too much I might bow out.

Blizzard can't be that stupid. LFR is more popular than other raiding ever was. They have to know they don't make their money on Mythic raid content.

Saucy_XL

Banned
They can't gimp LFR this much and have no rewards form heroics other than gold. The only thing they gave us instead is follower rewards. So instead of spamming heroics for justice points/conquest pt's for the daily, I will be sitting in my garrison spamming missions.

And I can't even use all this gold for crafting good gear because of the weeklong process of getting enough Truesteel Ingots.

I really don't know what to to with my time in WoW right now beyond the daily CM and heroic (and not much will change with 640 LFR gear)

There's also the corpse of a level 80 rare time lost proto drake. *flips Blizzard off*

---
I would also like to say that I'm the owner of a Silver-Plated Turkey Shooter. They did exist. Got it this morning before the event turned off at 9:00 am. for me. Managed to get the Bush Chicken too though it doesn't seem like many people did. WarcraftPets is reporting only 2.7% of their users have managed to get it. Part of me wonders how much if that actually being rare and now much of that is people not really trying. With Draenor being so new, I had people going "Wait, that's going on right now?" yesterday.

vocab

Honestly, lfr was a disaster in seige of orgrimmar. I had too many wipes from Nazgrim lfr (and from dark Shamans) that it killed all interest of me playing wow for about a half a year.

Wait till lfr highmaul. Most of the mechanics will have to be nerfed to trivial status for groups to even complete it. Lfr tectus and brakenspore sounds like a treat.

Draxal

Wait till lfr highmaul. Most of the mechanics will have to be nerfed to trivial status for groups to even complete it. Lfr tectus and brakenspore sounds like a treat.

Ayup, I mean I kinda understand why they're nerfing LFR loot this badly.

1. Guilds farmed lfr for set bonuses (Didn't Dragon Soul have an exploit where guilds farmed it a billion times in the first week)?

2. The player base is that bad (it's really not that bad, but good players avoided LFR like the plague when flex came out and there was just too many afkers in general).

I think LFR pretty much has to remove every interesting mechanic there is in order for groups to finish them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The problem with LFR being the difficulty it is is that the playerbase won't get any better. I understand the desire to raid on a more casual basis and having that open availability for it, but I've actually found A) more successful groups in flex raiding and B) Quicker entry into raiding flex.

I could always pop into OQ and get a flex group in under an hour where as LFR took 1 1/2 hours at the least to give me a prompt. And if the tank left, that's at least another 20 minutes waiting because of the environment LFR breeds. And with personal loot, pugging is all the more safer because you don't have to worry about ninjas as long as the group specifies personal loot. There's really no reason to do LFR in WoD unless you're trying to get a legendary ring type drop and your guild or your flex pug skipped that boss for that week.

mclem

I would also like to say that I'm the owner of a Silver-Plated Turkey Shooter. They did exist. Got it this morning before the event turned off at 9:00 am. for me. Managed to get the Bush Chicken too though it doesn't seem like many people did. WarcraftPets is reporting only 2.7% of their users have managed to get it. Part of me wonders how much if that actually being rare and now much of that is people not really trying. With Draenor being so new, I had people going "Wait, that's going on right now?" yesterday.

I missed a couple of days of doing it, but then did it avidly for the remaining time. Annoyingly, got both the shooter and the hat on the first day, then nothing for ages, then another shooter and another hat on the last-but-one day, but it wasn't until the very final day that I came up trumps with the chicken.

Cut it a bit fine!

ampere

Highmaul normal and heroic also opens, but LFRers will have to wait til next week just for the first three bosses. Blizz really hate LFR these days.

It's been like this every time LFR has opened. How does this indicate that "Blizz hates LFR"?

LFR gear is still better than a lot of what we've had access to thus far, so it is gated a week after raids so we don't have much pressure to run it for gear upgrades.

LFR is tourist mode and it does that just fine. If you want achievements/pets/mounts you either do organized raiding or wait until the next tier and go back to it.

There's also the corpse of a level 80 rare time lost proto drake. *flips Blizzard off*

---

Grats. I was excited to get both the toy and the pet too.

The pet you can always buy... but the toy is BoP.

I'm so tired of blizzardgme blizzardgml and blizzardgmi inviting me to party, I don't understand why blizzard doesn't ban these kind of names.

The pet you can always buy... but the toy is BoP.
It was really going to bum me out if I didn't get the toy because of this. I figured I could keep an eye on the AH for the chicken if I needed to. I love turning people into turkeys while they're mounted though. Cracks me up (I can be VERY simple sometimes).
I'm so tired of blizzardgme blizzardgml and blizzardgmi inviting me to party, I don't understand why blizzard doesn't ban these kind of names.
I actually had someone try to b.net friend me with one of those names the other day. :/

Also had two random b.net friend requests but they didn't say who they were. I will not add someone unless they give me SOME indication of how they "know" me.

ampere

They usually have weird characters in them in an odd combination. Like bíllìzard

Probably would be hard to ban all the combinations. But it probably would be good to have a growing blacklist when they find a scammer using one of those names.

It was really going to bum me out if I didn't get the toy because of this. I figured I could keep an eye on the AH for the chicken if I needed to. I love turning people into turkeys while they're mounted though. Cracks me up (I can be VERY simple sometimes).

Yeah it's pretty great how it keeps them in turkey-form while mounted.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't touched the Thanksgiving stuff. I wanted to, but my time has been completely caught in leveling alts to figure out a main. Maybe next year.

Fjordson

The problem with LFR being the difficulty it is is that the playerbase won't get any better. I understand the desire to raid on a more casual basis and having that open availability for it, but I've actually found A) more successful groups in flex raiding and B) Quicker entry into raiding flex.
I agree with that, and actually found normal raiding more fun than LFR in MoP, but I still think it's a risky move from Blizz. Will all those people in LFR be willing to migrate to new difficulties? Or will they simply stop raiding / drop the game entirely?

Anoregon

I managed to get 5 of those 1-hour, 300% xp elixirs while farming steamwheedle rep to exalted in Nagrand. I've had a monk parked in Outland for a while with 8 or so hours of the 50% monk xp buff accrued, so I am going to use them to see how quickly I can get from like 65 to 85.

I actually started last night, and got from 63 to 67 in about 20 minutes, with at least 5 of that just being traveling to appropriate zones.

Kenai

---

My very last bag this morning had the Bush Chicken, I was sad cause I didn't see it then I saw the scrolldown arrow and got much, much happier. Those stupid things are like 9k on my server and will get worse not that the dailies are done.

No luck on the 40 man raid pet yet but I have some more time for it at least. It is a bit agonizing being in there for hours for nothing but if I keep the 3DS open it's not so bad I guess.

In other news, I don't even know what those fragment things are that i just sent my followers on a quest for either. Almost 12 hours even with epic mount. 83% chance so i hope they win it, Looked legendary quest related.

Top Bottom