• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

mclem

I mean, fuck, do you see the price they want just to change a garrison ability in a zone? I don't know what's with Blizzard's gold sink obsession when they add more gold sinks but never add gold opportunities.

I'm steadily gaining money. Not speedily, but it's working out at something like 500G/day. Not quite sure exactly where from, but I tend to do a full-group heroic (So ~=75G from Stacking the Deck) and any gold-reward missions that appear each day (Well, I just do any *missions* that appear each day; go for the short-duration ones while I'm online, and finish up with long-duration ones overnight)

mclem

Probably Apexis/Garrison route for me.

I don't PvP, but you stumble into Honor on occasion anyway, so I've got some Honor stockpiled with nothing to use it on. As such, for me it's Apexis/Honor for as long as that lasts, then hopefully when the supply expires I'll be at a stage where I can spare the garrison resources. If not, gold.

Although that's dependent on me getting another three (I think) followers to 100 over the next week!

cdyhybrid

Resto druid is pretty easy. I'd stay away from resto shaman and mistweaver then. Both niche healers with high skill ceilings. Other choice would probably be holy pally.

How are Disc/Holy Priests (both potency-wise and playstyle-wise)?

I see a lot of "DISC IS OP OMG" on various forums.

mclem

This never would have happened if stupid ass Varian would have let Thrall crush Garrosh's puny head like a grape.

Sure, you might think that, but in two years time, you'd regret it when our feeble L90s come up against the level 100-110 Burning Legion expansion.

mclem

Yup, same. Group finally realized that you should kill 1 shard first and let the other live while you burn the motes down.

Standard tactics when playing Asteroids!

Seems that US servers got Tarlna this week but EU servers got Drov. Odd, but okay.

I wondered if they might do that. Either a random coincidence, or intentionally so both regions get a new boss without having the other spoiled for them.

Godan

So I have seen that the best tanking trinket right now is the Knights Badge(pre raid i think). I think I can get this for 12k or something from the AH should i get this or is it easy enohgt to just try and get it myself.

Apt101

I worked late at the hospital today, drove home around 6:30 when it was still dark. I took a route slightly different than my usual one, but through areas very near my home. I saw new buildings along the way, including a very nice and brightly adorned expansion by my own employer I didn't even know was up. I've been off work on vacation so long, doing nothing but playing WoW and going to a nearby grocery store, that I didn't recognize any of it. I thought I was lost a few times.

Jesus I need to take a break. After I get my 645's anyways.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I'm no expert Raider, but holy hell, Tectus is such a ridiculous boss fight.

Me and the group I joined with couldn't manage to defeat it.

Wunder

Are you guys just hopping into raids from the pre-made group finder? What ilvl are they asking for? I assume this is Normal not Heroic right?

Karl Hawk

Banned
Are you guys just hopping into raids from the pre-made group finder? What ilvl are they asking for? I assume this is Normal not Heroic right?

In the group I joined with, they were asking for ilvl 636. And yes, most of the raiding groups are playing on normal.

mclem

In the group I joined with, they were asking for ilvl 636. And yes, most of the raiding groups are playing on normal.

I think at most we're going to ask for 625. But then, we're also going to keep the group to guildies and known and reliable friends.

Asking for much more than 630 is a bit unreasonable, I feel, given that's the best you can get from heroic unless you fluke warforged.

Apt101

I think at most we're going to ask for 625. But then, we're also going to keep the group to guildies and known and reliable friends.

Asking for much more than 630 is a bit unreasonable, I feel, given that's the best you can get from heroic unless you fluke warforged.

My guild seems like a very reasonable and lax one, but still asking for at least 630 (though I know the guild leader and officers will make exceptions). From the way they were speaking in the most recent meeting, I think they're just concerned that they grew too rapidly and want to try to take people who have run the heroics a lot, and/or invested a bit of effort in advancing in other ways. My buddy is on another server and his guild ran with a bunch of people in PvP gear and such, mostly around 625, and from what he's saying it was a bit disastrous. Different breed of player. Not that they're not good at the game or can't take direction, but just aren't accustomed to the long term trial, error, and commitment ( a lot of quitters).

Ultratech

Did the one world boss last nigiht.
Was a complete mess since a ton of adds spawn.
(I also guess the adds are on some timer or another. They ended up going away eventually...)
Got nothing but Gold though.

Then we did the first two bosses of Highmaul.

Like others said, Kargath is pretty damn easy.
We had him down in two attempts, but we got pretty far on the 1st attempt.
Funny enough, the Fist weapon dropped!
(Also funny: The body actually missing the fist!)

Butcher took a while because we sat there so long waiting on stupid shit.
The 1st real attempt we had on him, got him down to 20% before he went batshit on us and killed everyone (tanks were getting hit by Cleave).
A few more attempts and we had it figured out.
Managed to get a Helm.

I guess come Thursday, we're gonna attempt Tectus or Brackenspore.

mclem

My guild seems like a very reasonable and lax one, but still asking for at least 630 (though I know the guild leader and officers will make exceptions). From the way they were speaking in the most recent meeting, I think they're just concerned that they grew too rapidly and want to try to take people who have run the heroics a lot, and/or invested a bit of effort in advancing in other ways. My buddy is on another server and his guild ran with a bunch of people in PvP gear and such, mostly around 625, and from what he's saying it was a bit disastrous.

Mmmm, thanks for the warning. Might need to boost it a little, then. Still reluctant to go past 630 for the reasons outlined above, and might need to be lenient with a few healers because otherwise we'll struggle for numbers.

I assume that was Normal?

Apt101

Mmmm, thanks for the warning. Might need to boost it a little, then. Still reluctant to go past 630 for the reasons outlined above, and might need to be lenient with a few healers because otherwise we'll struggle for numbers.

I assume that was Normal?

Oh yea, normal.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Iunno. I'm at 636 with two warforged pieces, 1 daily CM 640, MC helm, the 680 ring, and 650 gauntlets from the world boss. I started the CM dailies late and failed to compete three the past week. I also sold my crafted JC ring.

But, 630 should be good if you can do mechanics and your rotation. It's also easily possible to have better secondary stats on a 630 ilvl over 636.

Guesong

I don't need to have to choose between 8 different spells on every single GCD to have fun. I'd rather play a simple, straightforward spec that makes me feel powerful and in control than one that's more involved/complicated.

Resto druid is pretty easy. I'd stay away from resto shaman and mistweaver then. Both niche healers with high skill ceilings. Other choice would probably be holy pally.

Eh, I don't know.

Shaman, you essentially make sure that Earth Shield is up on your MT then spam Healing Wave and Riptide, replacing Healing Wave with Chain Heal for group damage. It's fairly straightforward, very simple.

Mistweavers are different from the standard healer, being that their main heal is channeled, but even so. They are not that much harder than another healer, but probably not what you seek.

Resto Druids are very powerful, alot of versatility, but they have more buttons than an Arms Warrior.

Don't go Discipline. Holy Priests are nice but Chakra is probably not what you want.

So I'd say Shaman, personally. Very rhythmic, very smooth and straightforward.

Apt101

Yea, I feel even fairly casual players will stumble into 630 just running heroics and crafting. The ring and multiple options for 640 helms helps a lot (for the engineering helm it basically just comes down to three or four days of crafting gears and filling work orders).

StayDead

And when the enemy is immune to snares, or breaks it? Then what?

Let your water elemental build up some threat and keep ice barrier up. If you find the enemy getting close to you blink through it (I'm using the long distance blink glyph) and keep repeating. Most of the enemies who you can't snare are slow as hell or have some kind of shield you can spellsteal.

I solo'd pretty much every group quest through to 100 with that style

mclem

Iunno. I'm at 636 with two warforged pieces, 1 daily CM 640, MC helm, the 680 ring, and 650 gauntlets from the world boss. I started the CM dailies late and failed to compete three the past week. I also sold my crafted JC ring.

I'm at around that too, but I'm well aware that as a tank I have no difficulty both getting into 5-mans and finishing 5-mans. Other people in my guild have not been so fortunate.

But, 630 should be good if you can do mechanics and your rotation. It's also easily possible to have better secondary stats on a 630 ilvl over 636.
I've got a *615* trinket that, frankly, competes very well with 630 ones. There's only one blue 630 above it... and one *609*!

Edit: Actually, here's an interesting corollary question that's struck me: Principally and historically, our issues have been with DPS underperforming. Now, Silver Proving Grounds are pretty simple - heck, I've done them as tank, and I wouldn't trust me to DPS! But then there's Gold, and Endless.

If you wanted to use Proving Grounds as a benchmark for 'acceptable' DPS for challenge modes/raids, I'd expect there to be a level of Endless (or maybe, at a pinch, Gold) that nicely corresponded with the DPS requirement. Where would you more adequate DPSers put it? Or would a Brawler's Guild rank give a similar metric?

StMeph

Was able to down Normal Kargath and Butcher last night, and got 655 boots from Butcher, but the reroll gave me the same boots, just with some Leech. Ugh. At least my item level is now around 638. BOE drop rates in the raid seem really high. I haven't personally gotten any, but it seems like clearing trash repeatedly might be a viable way to quickly gear up a guild/static group for a nice overall ilevel bump before attempting bosses.

The guild group I was running with called it a night after Butcher, and I tried jumping to a different group for Tectus, but that group failed pretty hard. Before going to bed, I saw one group on LFG on the Twin Ogres already, so that's pretty good for the first night of PUGs.

vocab

Eh, I don't know.

Shaman, you essentially make sure that Earth Shield is up on your MT then spam Healing Wave and Riptide, replacing Healing Wave with Chain Heal for group damage. It's fairly straightforward, very simple.

Mistweavers are different from the standard healer, being that their main heal is channeled, but even so. They are not that much harder than another healer, but probably not what you seek.

Resto Druids are very powerful, alot of versatility, but they have more buttons than an Arms Warrior.

Don't go Discipline. Holy Priests are nice but Chakra is probably not what you want.

So I'd say Shaman, personally. Very rhythmic, very smooth and straightforward.
I like how you paint resto shamans as simple when you don't even mention the 4 bars of things they have including totems. Their talents are messy as well. Resto shamans weakness lies in the fact they are tied to the clunkyness of the shaman class. Spirit walkers grace is nice and all but having all those buttons in 5 mans is completely overwhelming.

Mupod

well last night was supposed to be my big 'catch up' night. So much for that.

I managed to get in half of a Grimrail Depot, and I had 3 DPS players who apparently were too lazy to do any mechanics on the second boss. When my friend explained the fight after a wipe (nobody said they were new) they instead just left. God I hate the dungeon finder.

Apt101

well last night was supposed to be my big 'catch up' night. So much for that.

I managed to get in half of a Grimrail Depot, and I had 3 DPS players who apparently were too lazy to do any mechanics on the second boss. When my friend explained the fight after a wipe (nobody said they were new) they instead just left. God I hate the dungeon finder.

That encounter weeds out the lazy quick like. And it's not even hard, just use the drops and get behind the wall. If I am the only ret paladin I just run seal of light with empowered seals and my 150-ish leech, and kill anything trying to kill the healer, backing them up. I pop my shield and/or lay on hands if I'm in trouble (or just wait for something I hit to die and flash heal to full). I find that helps new healers immensely. The fight takes a minute or two longer, but at least no one dies.

Apt101

I've had the healer die almost immediately in the 'Docks and had to heal and DPS three times now. Reminds me of vanilla WoW. They should give ret paladins a combat rez.

ampere

ok, time to get serious for a second. real issues and shit.

do you buff random people as youre questing / out and about? I always do, I cant help it. Here have a buff, make your life 1% easier. Real story: I tried to heal a druid on my shadow priest the other day who was fighting a rare, wasnt working...turns out it was a cow :(

I tried mr cow :( he didnt die tho

Usually I throw people buffs. And I don't kill innocent Alliance who are questing unless they are from certain guilds who gank notoriously... I'm kind of a World PvP carebear.

Tacitus_

Speaking of leaving groups, I managed to get our healer to leave after killing the boss as I explained a better tactic in chat. Wasn't even being hostile, just said "shaman, pls stand on his sides". It was like he wanted to spawn adds on the tree in everbloom.

ampere

Our GM ended up canceling raid last night after 2 hours of barely anyone able to log in. On the plus side I passed my Highmaul follower mission with 40% and got a 655 cloak and got some 645 boots from an invasion. Also got a chest from the world boss but it was a downgrade.

Hoping realms are stable for Thursday's raid.

Speaking of leaving groups, I managed to get our healer to leave after killing the boss as I explained a better tactic in chat. Wasn't even being hostile, just said "shaman, pls stand on his sides". It was like he wanted to spawn adds on the tree in everbloom.

The best tactic is to form a wall of roots around the boss so he never gets any energy from water orbs and has the 100% damage taken debuff until he dies. The tank just has to pick up the adds then you ignore them

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So how do you know if the world boss has been killed for that week?

Tacitus_

The best tactic is to form a wall of roots around the boss so he never gets any energy from water orbs and has the 100% damage taken debuff until he dies. The tank just has to pick up the adds then you ignore them

Eh, he exits the first dry phase with 10% hp left or something now if you just tunnel boss and let the orbs hit him.

Jarnet87

I tried Mistweaver in one heroic dungeon. failed and immediately decided that I'll never try that spec every again. It's just nonsense and better suited for raid healing, plus for the average player a holy priest and resto druid probably smash it. Just nonsense with having to watch mana and manage your chi so you can cast certain abilities and get tea stacks. I like that Blizzard tried to add different mechanics to the class but they just ended up being over complicated without much payoff.

Last night my total playtime was about 25 minutes. Got on at 6, got 3/4 way through slag mines. Didn't get my trinket then DC'd before last boss who probably would have trolled me and not dropped shoulders. Didn't get back on til about 10:45. Tried to kill the world boss, got in a raid group and then a bunch of us were phased. Left after about 5 minutes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excellent, thanks guys

strafer

Looks like the Warlock tier 14 helm

Poor Druids.

druid.jpg

Tier_14_Warlock.png

Top Bottom