• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ZenaxPure

I hit 630 today and I didn't even put any effort into gearing up yet. It's not hard at all.

Just wanted to quote this and say yepppp. I'm really close to reaching 640 and I haven't done a single raid/CM or gotten anything in the invader bags. I'm about to finish my third mission that gives a 645 item, and those can warforge (I assume socket as well). Last one gave me a 651 dagger. Could bump it higher right this second by upgrading my apexis belt but I think I'm going to forget the belt and focus on the bracers because all the bracers from both highmaul and blackrock foundry are pretty underwhelming for assassination where as the apexis bracers are perfect. I do have a crafted item, but, I am a LW so it's not really like I put a lot of effort into getting it or anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone have a good follower guide? im sure there are some followers out there at a 100 that I can solo get?

after doing every quest in nagrand I want..something to do that isnt running dungeons. would like some lvl 100 followers tbh, still need one with tailoring >_>

Apt101

I feel like the only way to go froward is to make as many alts as I can for savage blood. Why bother with anything else?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, unsurprisingly, the only class at 100 I can't kill Heroic Lich King on is the Mage. At 610 ilvl since they got rid of all the hp regenning passives and cold snap is on a 3 minute CD. Infest murders. Not like Ice Barrier can do anything to prevent it either as I'm pretty sure a level 1 can take that shield out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rogue transmog chat:

I still use Blackened Defias because I rule.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
am i missing something or dungeons have little to do with whats going on in warlords this time around? used to be dungeons were at the end of a zone more or less, usually the conclusion to some zone wide quest

now... like, the train dungeon, wtf is that about (as much as I love it)? the everbloom? the iron docks? you get sent randomly to the docks in gorgrond after not having anything to do with it (at least when you choose the lumber mill), you kill a guy there and you fuck off, there doesnt seem to be a reason for a dungeon there aswell.

Auchidon and Shadowmoon temple are somewhat connected to the zone quests I guess, but even those feel seperated. I dunno, maybe its just me

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There will probably never be a set of dungeons as good, story-wise, as the three at the end of Cata (End Times, Well of Eternity and Hour of Twilight). Really good storytelling there.

Generally, Blizzard's gotten a lot better at this. Dragon Soul and SoO are great examples, Dragon Soul especially. Before, raids were just, you walk up to the last boss, who's doing.. fuck-all, really. Illidan's just chilling atop BT, Lich King same in ICC. The story's already happened by the time you get there. Dragon Soul is very much you playing the story. SoO the same thing to a somewhat lesser extent.

Idk, maybe I'm biased because as a lore nerd I love story stuff, but now going through the old dungeons for the first time, those Cata dungeons in CoT really blew my socks off.

Story-wise, the best thing so far this expansion is the intro questline and Spires of Arak, which does a great job of telling the story of the Arakkoa in a way that somewhat made me care, against all odds.

am i missing something or dungeons have little to do with whats going on in warlords this time around? used to be dungeons were at the end of a zone more or less, usually the conclusion to some zone wide quest

now... like, the train dungeon, wtf is that about (as much as I love it)? the everbloom? the iron docks? you get sent randomly to the docks in gorgrond after not having anything to do with it (at least when you choose the lumber mill), you kill a guy there and you fuck off, there doesnt seem to be a reason for a dungeon there aswell.

Auchidon and Shadowmoon temple are somewhat connected to the zone quests I guess, but even those feel seperated. I dunno, maybe its just me

It's not just you. The stakes for each dungeon are so disconnected from any central theme. 'Go clear these weeds before they overtake Stormwind!' 'go back to UBRS never mind that nobody should have really gotten through the dark portal in sufficient force to make it a threat!' 'go hop on a train between a raid instance and...some docks...nearby...because reasons!'

There will probably never be a set of dungeons as good, story-wise, as the three at the end of Cata (End Times, Well of Eternity and Hour of Twilight). Really good storytelling there.

Generally, Blizzard's gotten a lot better at this. Dragon Soul and SoO are great examples, Dragon Soul especially. Before, raids were just, you walk up to the last boss, who's doing.. fuck-all, really. Illidan's just chilling atop BT, Lich King same in ICC. The story's already happened by the time you get there. Dragon Soul is very much you playing the story. SoO the same thing to a somewhat lesser extent.

Idk, maybe I'm biased because as a lore nerd I love story stuff, but now going through the old dungeons for the first time, those Cata dungeons in CoT really blew my socks off.

Story-wise, the best thing so far this expansion is the intro questline and Spires of Arak, which does a great job of telling the story of the Arakkoa in a way that somewhat made me care, against all odds.
I liked the old raid style more than the current one. The story-heavy raids just feel very forced. It's funny you mentioned DS and SOO, as they're totally my least favorite raids specifically because of how story-heavy, "epic", and "cinematic" they try to be.

Edit: and raid cutscenes are the worst. It really takes me out of it.

Rhaknar

sad story: Ive never done Dragon Soul or the 5man dungeons that came with it :(

Cata broke me and it was when I took my longest break, basically from the start of cata (I also didnt do Firelands) until MOP

It's not just you. The stakes for each dungeon are so disconnected from any central theme. 'Go clear these weeds before they overtake Stormwind!' 'go back to UBRS never mind that nobody should have really gotten through the dark portal in sufficient force to make it a threat!' 'go hop on a train between a raid instance and...some docks...nearby...because reasons!'

oh UBRS is supposed to be part of the story? I thought it was just another special "hey we redid another old dungeon for nostalgia sake" one, thats why I didnt mention it. How the fuck does that even work if its in azeroth >_>

Apt101

Leveling up the barn for this is labor-intensive.
Guess it'll be worth it in the long run.

Maybe. 3k-ish a day gold after I upgrade, and not having to engage in any grind-like activities feels worth it. Blizzard really underthought this. I'll just farm iOS style bloods and progress.

There was a shit ton of storytelling in the vanilla dungeons, particularly Blackrock Mountain instances. It was just scattered in questlines outside the instances themselves. You had to find it instead of having it handed to you by a cutscene or NPC exposition otherwise.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
sad story: Ive never done Dragon Soul or the 5man dungeons that came with it :(

Same, I solo'd them just the other day. Easily doable now (DS 10 man version though, mechanics prevent solo'ing one particular fight on 25 man).

I can see DS getting old if you run it a lot, SoO I thought was good though.

Rhaknar

keeping the shadow priest love train going, I really like how mobile I am since most of the spells are instant (if you use the instant mind blast talent) or have instant procs (like the instant mind spikes for example). Really helps in fights with a lot of moving around, which judging from heroic shadowmoon...something (temple?), that seems to be a theme of the expansion

I need to give healing a go tho, that was the plan, Im just too self conscious about it (and ive main healed for the last 3 xpacs lol). just everytime someone dies, I always feel guilty, even if its a idiot standing in the fire. Thats also why its so much more stressing than just dpsing. Like I (foolishly) died in the heroic I did today, it didnt matter, the rest of the peeps carried on. If I was the healer, not so much. I want to heal, Im just not sure I have it in me anymore. Like murtaugh, I might be too old for this shit :(

Wait, green followers can be upgraded all the way up to epic?? How did I miss this.

I have 26 followers and at this point I think only five are still green. I've only gotten one of the blues to purple through leveling but I've got several getting somewhat closer. That's a pretty long slog there.

Today was successful for mounts and getting annoying stuff out of the way.

Got the last of the mounts from the warbringers. I wish there was a stat kept on these because I would say a safe estimate is that I killed around 100 of these since hitting level 100. Glad to have that out of the way.

Did my Molten Core run today for the Core Hound. Took roughly two hours and we got through it without too much trouble. I died third most in there so I was pretty impressed with that. My favorite death was at the very start of Ragnaros I was standing next to him waiting for him to be targetable and he swung at me first and killed me in a single hit as best as I can tell.

And lastly I finished up the Stable Master stuff and did those 36 terrible fights. That takes roughly 90+ minutes to get all of that out of the way. So annoying. I promptly replaced my Stables with a Dwarven Bunker. I'll miss the look of the Stables but I didn't much care about the passive benefits. Can't wait to get the Bunker up to Tier 2 and start working on upgrade pieces for my followers.

Only 26 mounts to go for 250.

ZenaxPure

And lastly I finished up the Stable Master stuff and did those 36 terrible fights. That takes roughly 90+ minutes to get all of that out of the way. So annoying. I promptly replaced my Stables with a Dwarven Bunker. I'll miss the look of the Stables but I didn't much care about the passive benefits. Can't wait to get the Bunker up to Tier 2 and start working on upgrade pieces for my followers.

Yeah that passive benefits are straight up useless with how WoD is designed, I replaced my stables as well but someday when I have my other buildings/achievements I want I will put it back just because I loved having random mounts from my collection wander around. Watching a motorcycle have its front tire right in a pile of hay still remains one of the funniest things I've seen in this game.

Also yeah I don't understand the gorn necklace stuff. Having to go through all those fights again was a slog, mostly because the majority of your time was spent waiting on respawns. Also when I did it (could have been changed since then unsure) the whistles only had 3 charges. Had to go all the way back to my garrison and get more whistles halfway through... Bleh. I wish they would have thought of something more creative for the frost wolf.

Tried to raid with 5 friends and a lot of pugs, got Kargath down and got really close on the butcher but some people had to leave so we left it at that, still fights on normal are no hard at all. Go try it guys.

Rhaknar

why is Kargath not THE boss in there anyway? isnt he one of the warlords? what am I missing?

ZenaxPure

why is Kargath not THE boss in there anyway? isnt he one of the warlords? what am I missing?

Highmaul is an ogre stronghold, so it'd make sense an ogre is the final boss, and Kargath's history is with the arena and you fight him in an arena.

Also I assume blizzard doesn't care about him considering they didn't bother to correctly put him on the loading screen.

Yeah that passive benefits are straight up useless with how WoD is designed, I replaced my stables as well but someday when I have my other buildings/achievements I want I will put it back just because I loved having random mounts from my collection wander around. Watching a motorcycle have its front tire right in a pile of hay still remains one of the funniest things I've seen in this game.

Also yeah I don't understand the gorn necklace stuff. Having to go through all those fights again was a slog, mostly because the majority of your time was spent waiting on respawns. Also when I did it (could have been changed since then unsure) the whistles only had 3 charges. Had to go all the way back to my garrison and get more whistles halfway through... Bleh. I wish they would have thought of something more creative for the frost wolf.

For some reason it didn't count one of the kills against the Gorian something or other with one of the six mounts. So I had to go back and rekill him with a few until it triggered the kill but that meant I had used a charge from each of them and still needed to kill three more of the elites. So from there I did Maimclaw since he's fairly close by, went back to the Garrison to reset all the whistles again for fresh charges, and then went back to finish up Ironbore and the Moth of Wrath. Thankfully it was a busy day out there so about half of my overall kills I wasn't alone and the fights went quickly.

My favorite mount in the stables is the Subdued Seahorse from Poseidus since it just sort of swims in the air. It looks completely out of place. The flying carpets also look fairly ridiculous. I haven't seen the flying disc from MoP but I'm curious if that one shows up. I really think they should have flagged some mounts from showing that don't make sense.

Oh, and I just dropped 80k on a bid for the Jeweled Panther. Considering the vendor mats alone cost 80k it'll be a bit of a steal at that price. Of course I could try to grab one from Trade for 35k-40k from someone that duped them but I feel better reporting those people instead. Now I'm left with 800g.

ZenaxPure

I haven't seen the flying disc from MoP but I'm curious if that one shows up. I really think they should have flagged some mounts from showing that don't make sense.

It does show up and it's as hilarious as you would expect when it is just floating around the stables with no one on it. Also the cloud beneath it seems far more noticeable when it is idle, takes up way more room than the disc itself.

Rizzi

Arcane is the only mage spec that doesn't feel horrible. So that's something.
Ice barrier is pointless. It takes like three hits and then dies.

Rhaknar

You know, i take back what I said about the Lumber MIll. Once you get it to 3, getting timber is so easy.

getting timber even at lvl 1 is easy...

...at least it was while I was doing the zones. now that I have no quests and im 100, probably not so much :(

In fact I should probably just drop it now, or at least when im out of lumber. I have a trading post, what else goes on a medium plot? Stables is big so that cant go, hmm the inn perhaps? Especially with the buffed dungeon quests and im still doing dungeons?

or is that quest not at lvl1?

getting timber even at lvl 1 is easy...

...at least it was while I was doing the zones. now that I have no quests and im 100, probably not so much :(

In fact I should probably just drop it now, or at least when im out of lumber. I have a trading post, what else goes on a medium plot? Stables is big so that cant go, hmm the inn perhaps? Especially with the buffed dungeon quests and im still doing dungeons?

or is that quest not at lvl1?

You get quests at level 1.

But I find it easier now because the big ones give about 20ish timber, and in Nagrand it's so easy getting it.

Draxal

Well, Nerzhul dies in a heroic. And if they're doing the three tier normal routines that they usually do. They'll go for something outland related but not Iron Horde related for the second tier, and Grom for the third tier.

I'm betting it will be Nerzhul/Shadow Council/Sargeri for the second tier raid. With Grommash for the third tier raid.

You get quests at level 1.

But I find it easier now because the big ones give about 20ish timber, and in Nagrand it's so easy getting it.

It's easier in southern spires. Nagrand you often have huge changes in elevation with no straight paths in between nodes. Lots of large nodes but more travel time in between them makes Nagrand kind of painful to do anything other than casual, incidental logging.

Cleared through normal Twin Ogron tonight. Boss after that we only got two pulls on but he seems a bit trickier.

Resume on Monday.

Meanwhile, I made 35k+ off potions alone tonight. Pretty damn good. Plus a little change off enchants. Need the trading post to cycle back to cheap meat though.

Rhaknar

Well, Nerzhul dies in a heroic. And if they're doing the three tier normal routines that they usually do. They'll go for something outland related but not Iron Horde related for the second tier, and Grom for the third tier.

I'm betting it will be Nerzhul/Shadow Council/Sargeri for the second tier raid. With Grommash for the third tier raid.

oh Nerzhul is one of the warlords? fair enough then, guess everything goes. It did surprise me to see him at the end of that shadowmoon dungeon earlier (I know nothing about these dungeons or raids heh)

To think Ner'zhul would become the Lich King in the original time line. I thought blizz would give him a much better death.

Rhaknar

did 2 heroics today, got 2 X 630 gloves, which upgraded my... 624 epic gloves or whatever they were. FML :(

im fake-615 tho (fake because I have 2 legendary rings, one in bag, and it still counts) so I can do heroics and MC (and LFR next week?) so im not too fussed. the slow grind begins now afterall

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Holy shit, finally got Tectus down in a pug. So many wipes yesterday and today.

Cleared through normal Twin Ogron tonight. Boss after that we only got two pulls on but he seems a bit trickier.

Resume on Monday.

Meanwhile, I made 35k+ off potions alone tonight. Pretty damn good. Plus a little change off enchants. Need the trading post to cycle back to cheap meat though.

Fuck those pot prices lol. I should have boosted a char with alch just to craft for myself, let alone make gold.

Top Bottom