• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

So how many of the Warlords, WoD lorewise, are dead now?

Does Kargath really die? Did Ner'zhul really die? (Haven't done either encounter yet)

Shahadan

Ner'zhul isn't so important really without demon stuff, and in Wotlk they even made him irrelevant by saying the lich king was only Arthas, so...
Plus I kinda don't really want him to become lich king 2.

I'm more happy they're using gul'dan, his original death was a waste.

Kargath got a promote though, from a dungeon boss in BC to raid boss !
I'm curious about Kilrogg, he's nowhere to be seen yet. Probably in Tanaan.

Still, I'd rather have this than all warlords as raid bosses in the final raid or something.

Hellers

I wonder if there's a possibility that this expansion will lead into a Burning Legion full invasion of Alt-Draenor. Push all the nostalgia buttons at the same time.

Shahadan

I wonder if there's a possibility that this expansion will lead into a Burning Legion full invasion of Alt-Draenor. Push all the nostalgia buttons at the same time.

Final patch/raid is supposed to be demon stuff with Grommash.

I noticed green fire around the dark protal when I went exploring the shores of Tanaan but maybe it's nothing.
They also said next expansion should be demon oriented so we'll see. Sadly if the EoA trademark if true we'll probably go back on the old world, which sucks. I want to see the other Draenor continent.

But really my primary complaint is the seemingly abandonned Shattrath raid and the absence of a Arrakoa raid tier ;(
Such a waste of great opportunities.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Nerzhul goes from eventual lich king to a dungeon boss so... :p

Ner'Zhul didn't become the Lich King through his own power though, it was derived from Kil'jaeden. He wasn't anything special until he stepped through the portal he made and Kil'jaeden stuck him in the Frozen Throne. Then he had about 15-20 years to develop his power and plot.

And then Arthas' will was stronger and he was forced into oblivion. Ner'Zhul was a punk the whole time. I'm glad they got Gul'dan front and center. He's a slimy little sack of shit.

seemingly abandonned Shattrath raid.

When did they ever say that was gonna happen?

I don't think Ner'zhul was really that bad a guy when he was still an orc, he warned Durotan to stop him from drinking Mannoroth's blood in the original timeline and he only joined the Iron Horde was because the only other option was his entire clan being slaughtered.

TheYanger

Well, the way they just have us unceremoniously kill him off as the first boss in the expansion does make him feel little more important to the overall plot than a common orc. Really don't get what the point of building him up with stuff like the lords of war short was, especially considering they said that they only featured the most important of the warlords in those animation shorts.

The expansion gets some things right, but their handling of the orc warlords so far in the actual expansion itself have felt very subpar imo.

They flat out said at one point it was because Kargath was memorable and they wanted to start the raid tier out with a bang, and then have Blackhand at the end so that you had two warlords bookending the tier. I mean, if Kargoth weren't there the first zone would very literally just be random ass ogres and monsters. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but Kargoth first works just as well as Kargoth last to me. Plus his fight is super memorable and neat.

What were your percentages on each mission? I almost had my 3rd guy to ilvl 630 to get 100% and the damned mission disappeared.

If you get the latest version of Master Plan or Garrison Mission Manager, you actually get a timer showing how long you have left before the mission expires, it's quite useful.

Shahadan

When did they ever say that was gonna happen?

You mean aside from the big "SHATTRATH RAID" on the map back at the announcement, and multiple times after that? :p
They haven't really said anything about it being dropped though, but since they haven't talked about it for a long time...;(

mclem

How do druid tanks work these days?

I'm trying to work with a new druid tank who's better-geared than me, but I'm worried that I seem to be taking *significantly* less damage than him on The Butcher. I don't want to sound alarms yet since it's quite possible that that's intentional, and they compensate for it in other ways, but I really don't know druids well enough to be sure of that.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/v4kwYFHy8DqGzTXp#type=damage-taken&fight=1&graph=true

arhra

I'm curious about Kilrogg, he's nowhere to be seen yet. Probably in Tanaan.

He shows up briefly in the Tanaan intro questline just after you come through the portal (at least in the Horde version; no idea if the Alliance version is the same). But yeah, nothing since then. The Bleeding Hollow are based in Tanaan though, so I wouldn't expect to see him again until the zone is opened up properly.

Ultratech

If you have the Burning Legion Missive, you'll see why this is very possible.

It's a toy that puts up an image of Archimonde talking to somebody else (this differs each time you use it) generally saying they're gonna invade Draenor.

Here's a few quotes:
Archimonde: The sky will rain fire...the oceans will be filled with blood....
Archimonde: DRAENOR WILL BURN!

----

Archimonde: We will take this world with the unending strength of the Legion. The time for subtlety has passed.
Archimonde: Orcs and Draenei both will bow in fealty to the Legion. Our hordes will scorch the earth beneath them. Together, Kil'jaeden, we are unstoppable.

Krassus

My guild started with heoric Highmaul. The Butcher was kind of just a gut check, particularly as an Arms warrior. Kinda regretting being a DPS warrior because the climb on it seems like it'll be pretty steep. Fury is worthless right now and I feel blocked out of Glad spec based on the makeup of my raid group.

Glad warriors were up top in a lot of the fights for us last night.

lazygecko

If you have the Burning Legion Missive, you'll see why this is very possible.

It's a toy that puts up an image of Archimonde talking to somebody else (this differs each time you use it) generally saying they're gonna invade Draenor.

Here's a few quotes:

The rumors about the upcoming content patch was that it would be Legion-centered and revolve around going back in time to fetch Illidan again.

There are five level 100 mages camping me in Veil Terokk.
Such fun world pvp is.
PvE server man. World is fun when its 1v1 or 1v2, what is happening to you is PvPPPPPPPPP

Let's me PvE without having to look over my shoulder and I run Arenas/BGs for my PvP. At least there is structure to an extent.

I also can't atop thinking about my Shaman, no matter how awful they are right now. He was my go-to PvP toon in Cata - so much fun. Even though they are broken I miss my axe-wielding maniac orc. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and suck up the suckness. Force him to work.

StMeph

3/7 down in Normal Highmaul. Not familiar with Twin Ogron, but PUGs seem to have less issues with Brackenspore, and I had to quit/go to bed, but was in a group that had a 4% wipe on Ko'ragh last night. So I should be able to get 6/7 this week.

Item level's now 643, but I just really want a 655 weapon.

mclem

Should I be looking at Brackenspore before Tectus? Wasn't aware you weren't limited to a fixed kill order, and Tectus was problematic for us.

Tyreny

I'm trying to work with a new druid tank who's better-geared than me, but I'm worried that I seem to be taking *significantly* less damage than him on The Butcher. I don't want to sound alarms yet since it's quite possible that that's intentional, and they compensate for it in other ways, but I really don't know druids well enough to be sure of that.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/v4kwYFHy8DqGzTXp#type=damage-taken&fight=1&graph=true

Not sure how they work versus other tanks, but I play a guardian druid in PvE. There is basically a rotation of defensive abilities, and without at least one of them active the damage intake can get rough. Some combination of Savage Defense (+dodge chance), Bark Skin (-% all damage) and Pulverize (L100 talent, converts 3 Lacerates into -% all damage) should be active at any time. Frenzied regeneration should be used to smooth out damage taken and help out healers.

I found it a huge help when I switched to the Pulverize talent from one of the others. Having essentially 100% uptime on a % all damage reduction really helped me ensure a relatively predictable range of incoming damage. I think guardian druids can create hardship for healers when they swing back and forth between straight tanking and popping defensive abilities causing underhealing on one end and overhealing on the other.

My gear is nothing special but, once the encounter mechanics are under control, I haven't had any issues absorbing damage well enought to down bosses in Heroic dungeons.

mileS

Should I be looking at Brackenspore before Tectus? Wasn't aware you weren't limited to a fixed kill order, and Tectus was problematic for us.
Brack isn't bad if you can nail the mushrooms and make sure almost everyone gets the buff. That might not make much sense now but it will. Hard to fully exlain the fight typing on my phone. Seemed really hard and then my group managed the mushrooms perfectly and it was pretty easy. Man it sucks being on flame thrower duty.

Mupod

Most world pvp in an MMO is like a laser pointer. It's only fun when you are doing it otherwise it's annoying as shit.

I could never stomach WoW on a PVE server. And I'm the kind of person that rages so hard about being ganked that I used to keep a 'book of the dead' mod and continue to hunt people down weeks or months later if necessary.

Bit harder now I guess, since the game world is this big mashup of a bunch of servers. Can't say I'm a fan of that but I guess it's one way to fight the simple realities of an aging MMO.

But yeah I'm used to just watching my back all the time. After almost a year playing FF14 I was surprised how quickly I fell back into my old PVP server habits - watching track humanoids for dots that move like humans, or just quietly observing alliance from stealth as they quest to figure out if they're a threat. If anything I'm more paranoid because I don't know anybody anymore.

Being ganked is really a rare occurrence - especially when people are just leveling up, PVP servers always have a 'truce' atmosphere. Even when you aren't killing one another actively, it makes even the mundane stuff more fun and interesting. Helping a cross-faction person out when they're dying to mobs is a different feeling than saving someone on your own side and vice versa. And then when they decide to be jackasses and jump you it's this great rollercoaster of emotions. I let my guard down near some 99 dwarf shaman when I was 96 in Spires of Arak, he seemed like he was just questing but decided to attack when I was half health. I probably could have won if I hadn't tried to flee at first but he got me, and I was pissed since he was on Lightning's Blade or something so I had no guarantees I'd be able to get him back. Ended up finding him 15 minutes later and camping him 3 times in a row. That was a good hour I could have spent leveling up but it's things like that which keep me on PVP.

Mothman91

Yeah, Brackenspore is a lot easier. Last night and night before, couldn't down Tectus. Found a group that was doing Brackenspore last night and proceeded to one shot him. Tectus isn't a super hard fight, but it can get derpy when people can't learn to run away when they have the red cloud coming to them. I did get him last night with the group that one shotted Brackenspore, also Tectus is a bit of a dps check because you can easily get to his enrage timer if you can't kill him during his tectonic move.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Yeah, Brackenspore is a lot easier. Last night and night before, couldn't down Tectus. Found a group that was doing Brackenspore last night and proceeded to one shot him. Tectus isn't a super hard fight, but it can get derpy when people can't learn to run away when they have the red cloud coming to them. I did get him last night with the group that one shotted Brackenspore, also Tectus is a bit of a dps check because you can easily get to his enrage timer if you can't kill him during his tectonic move.

I managed to get him to phase 3 (where one of his shards splits into four motes) a few times, but the pugs I played with focused on the other shard rather than nuking the four motes which got me and the pugs wiped out a few times as well.

Though most of my wipes was because some people were too stupid to not get away from red cloudy shit and taking care of the adds from phase 1 (especially earthen pillar)

Jarnet87

last night I raided with some friends on my monk. They got a second tank so I had to go and get Windwalker spec. Had no idea what the hell i was doing, at least 5 of my pieces are for tanking (bonus armor) and still managed to beat out 2 people on dps. I'm only at 615 but I think I can handle off tanking provided I can move out of avoidable damage. Didn't ger past Kargath. We were doing better when we had more people. We started with 16 or 17 and ended up with 12 or 13 on the last few attempts. I know it's suppose to scale but there is no way the scaling outweighs having the maximum number of people. I told them we need to at least have 20, don't see the point in having any lower since the ultimate goal is to get to mythical.

Tried to raid on my Druid after but no one showed up. It's always a great sign when the raid leader doesn't even bother to log. It was excusable Tuesday night because of the servers, but not two nights in a row. left the guild and will try to join a guild run or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have not leveled an alliance character properly since the beginnings of BC. Been doing it now, and man, I don't like how streamlined they made Westfall. Like I know it lines up with what they were trying to do in Cataclysm, but I feel like Westfall was one of the few pre-Cata zones that wasn't so confusing.

ampere

The real problem isn't that the inn quests don't force the player to get to the end of the dungeon, it's that people don't feel like running heroics is worth the time.

Yup. Once you have full 630+ why run them? 50 GR? lol

When they awarded valor it made sense, I mean you needed to get valor regardless of how high your ilevel was

Well, Nerzhul dies in a heroic

Hm I could have sworn that Ner'zhul ports away or something at the end of SMBG, but you're right he dies. Yeah pretty underwhelming.

Two friends just had long text convo's with me why they are quitting because shamans suck. Their entire guilds quit.

Sometimes a class is broken. Sometimes it's so bad people quit in fucking legions over it

Shamans aren't that bad. Huge exaggeration by a lot of people.

Dude straight up wasn't using Savage Defense, 4 uses in a 6 minute fight? 6% uptime

Ask him about that. Maybe he has a good reason, but I doubt it. To be clear the only times you'd be justified in just not using Savage Defense as a Bear would be a Lei Shi fight while tanking Lei Shi. If things are dodgeable it's going to be the best use of Rage for the most part. Imagine if you only used SotR 4 times in that fight.

ZenaxPure

Yup. Once you have full 630+ why run them? 50 GR? lol

When they awarded valor it made sense, I mean you needed to get valor regardless of how high your ilevel was

Exactly what I was getting at a couple of days ago when people were talking about outgearing heroics and making them easy, don't see how it really matters as there is no reason to run 5 mans in WoD once you're geared up (unless its for achievements or whatever) which is really weird compared to past expansions (but I'm fine with it).

The inn quests don't really help imo anyway because the rewards for the daily versions of quests are crap. It's like 50 gold or 20 garrison resources (probably some other stuff as well but that's all I've gotten). I can make more gold by running an old raid/dungeon in the same amount of time it takes to run a WoD 5 man.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Warlock on the other hand, feels fine compared to my mage.
:/

frost mage destroys locks... arcane mage for the most part will usually win as average skill with arcane will still net you decent dps.. whereas average skill with a lock will give you shit DPS.

I know "everyone" QQs over every class being weak at some point in time...

but locks are in a bad place.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17P.html

EVERY SINGLE CLASS has at least two specs represented before you hit the FIRST warlock entry (except for shadow priest (dur) and Warrior, though they still get 7th place overall with GLAD). and again, that is two specs right off the bat that need at least some level of skill to play (juggling havocs on destruction or weaving in and out of metamorph on demo). if you are not supremely efficient in one of those, you can't even hope to hit the numbers shown there.

edit - I think that's ultimately the problem with warlocks really.. they are a complicated class to play. Buff them up so people with average skill can get decent numbers, and people with exceptional skill will top the charts all xpac long. Nerf them so they fall down a bit on simulationcraft, and people with average skill struggle to just stay out of the bottom 1-2 on recount (below the tank......). make them "less complicated" to play, evening out that discrepancy, and now they are just a mage/elemental with demons.

ampere

The inn quests don't really help imo anyway because the rewards for the daily versions of quests are crap. It's like 50 gold or 20 garrison resources (probably some other stuff as well but that's all I've gotten). I can make more gold by running an old raid/dungeon in the same amount of time it takes to run a WoD 5 man.

Yeah I actually haven't made an Inn yet (bad idea in hindsight, would have been a better way to get good followers for the Highmaul follower missions), but once I get all the Inn achievements I'll tear it down for sure.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17P.html

EVERY SINGLE CLASS has at least two specs represented before you hit the FIRST warlock entry (except for shadow priest (dur) and Warrior, though they still get 7th place overall with GLAD). and again, that is two specs right off the bat that need at least some level of skill to play (juggling havocs on destruction or weaving in and out of metamorph on demo). if you are not supremely efficient in one of those, you can't even hope to hit the numbers shown there.

edit - I think that's ultimately the problem with warlocks really.. they are a complicated class to play. Buff them up so people with average skill can get decent numbers, and people with exceptional skill will top the charts all xpac long. Nerf them so they fall down a bit on simulationcraft, and people with average skill struggle to just stay out of the bottom 1-2 on recount (below the tank......). make them "less complicated" to play, evening out that discrepancy, and now they are just a mage/elemental with demons.

Just to be clear, that stack rank of dps on the Simcraft page is not a useful way to gauge class performance. Each Simcraft module is typically worked on by different people, with the intent of the module to be used to figure out when something is a gear upgrade, which trinket is better, and stat weights relative to current gear. It is absolutely not a useful thing to take the modules and sim Patchwerk fights and list the numbers next to each other. People never seem to understand this. There are a number of reasons this doesn't make sense to do:

Classes have different strengths and weaknesses and true Patchwerk fights do not exist anymore. The closest things you get are The Butcher and Ultraxion, (although Ultraxion was pretty damn close to Patchwerk with 0 movement and little downtime). The modules are not perfect and sometimes contain bugs. For example the Brewmaster module (tank I know) was set to prioritize purifying even when Shuffle was down and in the Chi Explosion module it was using Purifying Brew constantly which defeats the purpose of the talent. The modules are not made to be compared to each other, they are only effective when used independently. Simcraft should not post the stack ranks on their site because people always seem to obsess over them and it overshadows the good work that Simcraft devs do.

Hopefully that makes sense. Simcraft isn't worthless, but the stack rankings on Simcraft are worthless.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So how many of the Warlords, WoD lorewise, are dead now?

Does Kargath really die? Did Ner'zhul really die? (Haven't done either encounter yet)

Kargath dies, Ner'zhul dies, Blackhand presumably dies in Blackrock Foundry, Garrosh Hellscream dies in a questline.

Grom, Kilrogg Deadeye and Gul'dan are still alive. Given that we're allegedly only getting two raid tiers in the entire fucking expansion, they probably get killed in the next patch. I doubt any of them are alive at the end since they're all generically evil.

Top Bottom