• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

With returning to Outlands I think it's a missed opportunity to not have the small PVP elements within individual zones. I don't engage in a lot of PVP but I recall fighting over the three forts in Hellfire and the four towers in Terrokar far more often than I even needed to because I was simply nearby enough when the timers came around that I thought it'd be fun and a silly diversion. I know Zangermarsh had the two towers thing but I mostly ignored that one and can't really recall why.

I guess they did bring this back with 5.1 (I think) with the Landing stuff. And again I actually took part in some of that and found it amusing since it's not a time commitment or required me to leave what I was doing and instead I could do it while I was in the area already and then move on if I stopped enjoying it or I reached a goal.

I suppose maybe that was an experiment and it wasn't successful? And maybe it really only appeals to the more PvE focused people like myself that finds going into places like Ashran a bit too intimidating and generally a slaughter.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thanks guys. So, can you join someone else with an invasion on their garrison and get the Invader's Forgotten Treasure?

Fucking training dummy is killed me outside my garrison. lol.

Reading through the past couple of pages, people think there's a problem with hunters? If anything it's DKs and Rogues that need tuning, especially in pvp

mclem

I think the best way to do it would be to only add flying with the release of the next expansion and do that in the future as well.

I'm with you on this, I really like the change, but do think there will come a point where it's more sensible to permit it - but that point, in my eyes, won't be hit during this expansion. My thought, though, as a nice way of doing it:

Add flying for everyone with the release of 7.0. But before that...
Give a flying book to everyone who kills Mythic Grommash

A nice bonus reward to the top-level raiders that's not *really* a massive benefit to them at that point of the expansion (Really, they're done!). They get a little bit of trumpet-blowing for a while, others will get it in time.

(This is all assuming, of course, that they did actually make Draenor able to be viewed from above. It's possible they took some shortcuts like they did with the design of the old world, but I suspect they didn't)

CassSept

Not sure why people are so averse to the Apexis dailies. They take maybe 15-20 minutes and there are a variety of ways to increase your counter besides just "killing" things. It's kind of like questing in GW2 where you just do things in an area until the bar fills. Plus, I've been chasing the achievements in those areas while doing them.

I'll take one big daily with a variety of things to do over a bunch of small ones in various parts of the world any day. It takes far less time and allows me to move on and do other things.

I'm a rogue so I mostly target clickable things/mobs that give +4/+8 to progress, they are very quick that way :)

With returning to Outlands I think it's a missed opportunity to not have the small PVP elements within individual zones. I don't engage in a lot of PVP but I recall fighting over the three forts in Hellfire and the four towers in Terrokar far more often than I even needed to because I was simply nearby enough when the timers came around that I thought it'd be fun and a silly diversion. I know Zangermarsh had the two towers thing but I mostly ignored that one and can't really recall why.

I guess they did bring this back with 5.1 (I think) with the Landing stuff. And again I actually took part in some of that and found it amusing since it's not a time commitment or required me to leave what I was doing and instead I could do it while I was in the area already and then move on if I stopped enjoying it or I reached a goal.

I suppose maybe that was an experiment and it wasn't successful? And maybe it really only appeals to the more PvE focused people like myself that finds going into places like Ashran a bit too intimidating and generally a slaughter.

I didn't care about most of these, but I agree with the Terokkar ones. They were very near Skettis dailies so naturally there would be quite a few people in vicinity when the timers were nearing their end, these were fun. Others were more or less in desolate zones though.

I dont see a problem with getting flight with 6.1, its just raiding/pvp and playing alts then.

Im kinda sad that theres no real reward for doing daily heroic dungeons anymore. the 50 ressources are forgettable, would be way better if we can get 500 apexisshards.

I dont get they are doing even more step backs in playing alts. Why are there no buffs for a Garrison of an alt if you already have a big one with another character?

Also I liked getting the tier sets over time by earning marks for doing daily heroics in Wotlk. Getting tier sets by lfr was fine in pandaria too. But now that I have to do real raiding is just too much time for me. I usally dont have the time to spend 4h in one evening in the game, but I guess even that wouldnt be enough time to clear a raid with a few guys. I'd prefer if you could do single wings of each raid like you can in raid finder.

Also whats the point in having a gatherer profession in draenor?

I'm with you on this, I really like the change, but do think there will come a point where it's more sensible to permit it - but that point, in my eyes, won't be hit during this expansion. My thought, though, as a nice way of doing it:

A nice bonus reward to the top-level raiders that's not *really* a massive benefit to them at that point of the expansion (Really, they're done!). They get a little bit of trumpet-blowing for a while, others will get it in time.

(This is all assuming, of course, that they did actually make Draenor able to be viewed from above. It's possible they took some shortcuts like they did with the design of the old world, but I suspect they didn't)
I don't follow progression but I'm assuming the amount of guilds/players that take down mythic (or heroic before) raid bosses is somewhat minimal? Seems like a fine suggestion and definitely would be a good way to point out the top players. There'd need to be some PVP equivalent of course.
I didn't care about most of these, but I agree with the Terokkar ones. They were very near Skettis dailies so naturally there would be quite a few people in vicinity when the timers were nearing their end, these were fun. Others were more or less in desolate zones though.

I think the quest/world design has changed that your point about Terokkar working because of the dailies would be about the same in the majority of the zones now. The daily apexis means people travel to different zones more frequently along with other world stuff like people camping for rare spawns, farming apexis/rep (I'm assuming this is a small subset) and other activities in the world (pets, etc.). The other issue could be that the benefits of winning those mini-battlegrounds weren't enough to make you care so maybe that would need to be retooled as well. Or make each one have a separate world-wide effect (like the Wrath shards earned in dungeons when your faction had Winterspring). There's really a bunch of ways to make them more enticing and each zone remains fairly populated due to more stuff to do in the world.

StayDead

I'd rather them not add more willy waving to the game, it was bad enough before and all adding something like that would do is aid people in forcing people to pay extortionate prices for boosts which take little effort to do or organise.

Lanrutcon

Blizzard make their money off the people that don't do Mythic content. If you think that doesn't factor into their decisions you're crazy.

I am against even more e-peen waving. "Hardcore raiders" are already enough of an unbearable bunch.

mclem

I'd rather them not add more willy waving to the game, it was bad enough before and all adding something like that would do is aid people in forcing people to pay extortionate prices for boosts which take little effort to do or organise.

Blizzard make their money off the people that don't do Mythic content. If you think that doesn't factor into their decisions you're crazy.

I am against even more e-peen waving. "Hardcore raiders" are already enough of an unbearable bunch.

Is that really any different from 310% flying mounts from Glory achievements back before epic flight was purchasable? It'll come to everyone in time; I'm not looking to exclude people in the long term (If nothing else, when WoD is the content you're working through to get to the interesting stuff, it makes sense to allow flying to speed things up)

At core, I'm still absolutely fine with being limited to the ground; this wouldn't include me. It just struck me as a really nice reward without having much of a long-term impact.

BokehKing

Banned
I think they think they did too, but it's hard to wean people off of them again.
They had to, otherwise I would have just popped I'm and out of every quest and been 100 by day 2 When normally it would take me a lot longer

I like not being able to fly, allows me to appreciate the time put into the game more

daedalius

I'll never have the time for mythic difficulty, or the group of friends.

I am sad I won't ever get those sweet, sweet warrior shoulders with the spinning blades.

mclem

You guys should read the dev AMA on the WoW subreddit.

I was particularly interested in them talking about where they intend to go with Garrisons; I assume that follower-levelling won't stay capped at 645ish and I like the possibility of a Rank 4. And if the Rank 4 tailors could possibly open up the ability to craft bags, I'm interested :)

Godan

So i am thinking of doing the MC run later on when i get home from work as I want the mount.

Are people still doing this or is it dead now?

Robin64

So i am thinking of doing the MC run later on when i get home from work as I want the mount.

Are people still doing this or is it dead now?

A friend was in the queue for 3 hours yesterday and then the run took another 3 hours. It's still being done, but.. be prepared.

Robin64

I really want Hatespark, but given that only 1 person in 40 got it when I did the MC raid.. Well, do I want it that much?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did MC...it was soul crushing. but at least I got my head/mount

then got in a heroic everbloom that was half finished (looks cool tho never been there) and got...a 630 head. because of course I did

Robin64

Currently 36k on my server. I don't have 36k, I have 3k. Spent so much gold this expansion so far. Tried selling 640 crafted gear. First for 30k, then 20k, now 10k.. nobody's biting at 10k. Urgh.

Rapstah

The music in Frostfire Ridge is fantastic. I can't even remember the main theme, so to speak, of Shadowmoon, but Frostfire's is even better than the main theme of Talador.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Currently 36k on my server. I don't have 36k, I have 3k. Spent so much gold this expansion so far. Tried selling 640 crafted gear. First for 30k, then 20k, now 10k.. nobody's biting at 10k. Urgh.

At this point you need to make the upgrade tokens. You dun goofed. Upgrade it and sell it.

Ultratech

Finally, after 30 wipes, I finally defeated Tectus.

Gold tho ;_;

We spent 3 hrs on Tectus last night and hardly got anywhere.

This is leading to what I was afraid of in that my Guild either isn't really all too serious about actually raiding or they have no idea what the hell they're doing.

(I'm leaning towards the latter because it seemed like only a few people had bothered to read up on the encounter.)

Robin64

At this point you need to make the upgrade tokens. You dun goofed. Upgrade it and sell it.

Yeah. Well I made it weeks before the raid launched but I'm also on a set of RP servers and should've realised that on here crafting pets is a better thing to do.

We spent 3 hrs on Tectus last night and hardly got anywhere.

This is leading to what I was afraid of in that my Guild either isn't really all too serious about actually raiding or they have no idea what the hell they're doing.

(I'm leaning towards the latter because it seemed like only a few people had bothered to read up on the encounter.)

It's a surprisingly stiff DPS check for normal mode ("flex" yeah right) Me and the other MM hunter and our ret were at 17k-19k on most attempts but our 3 other dps were 11k-15k and we couldn't beat the enrage. Our best attempt was 2/4 little fellas left but they enraged on us.

Ultratech

It's a surprisingly stiff DPS check for normal mode ("flex" yeah right) Me and the other MM hunter and our ret were at 17k-19k on most attempts but our 3 other dps were 11k-15k and we couldn't beat the enrage. Our best attempt was 2/4 little fellas left but they enraged on us.

Our problems came from positioning and tank BS.

Ranged weren't placed all the way back towards the wall, causing stuff to spawn towards the middle and they'd run the red cloud stuff all over the damn place despite telling them to run it one way.

The Tank stuff I couldn't figure out what was going on. One of the Berserker adds would spawn, somehow hit the MT and everything would go to hell.
(That or the OT wasn't soaking Gift of the Earth...I couldn't tell.)

We got to fighting the 2 Shards a couple of times, but we never got further than that.

mclem

FWIW: You can also stun the mob to interrupt the Gift cast.

Had some frustration when we tried Tectus in that it seems that DBM was giving incorrect alerts for some abilities. I *think* we concluded it was calling the red cloud 'Gift of Earth', so we had people trying to work out what to do when "Gift" was on them (which is, of course, meaningless in the real context of the fight)

ampere

Did 5/7H last night, was pretty fun. Ko'ragh isn't too bad, we just need to follow mechanics. Got him to 35% with a melee getting the shield (something that kept happening on accident) and people not really knowing what they are doing. From what I hear Imperator is HARD. We're supposed to have a make-up night since Tuesday was fucked, so hopefully we at least get some progress on Imperator. I need to get a normal run in too to get some upgrades.

This hotfix:
Recruit-a-Friend characters should now be correctly receiving a 300% bonus to the experience awarded for completing a Dungeon (was incorrectly awarding 900% instead).

Damn I wish I had known and dual boxed with that haha. Probably could get to 85 in like 4 hours.

... and speaking of pets. I finally did MC tonight. Three hour queue. Rough time with people listening on trash - took almost three hours to run it. BUT... Hatespark the Tiny dropped for me. So one six hour session to not run it again? I'm okay with that.

Grats! I'm going to have to give up on the transmog enchant and buy Hatespark. I can't bring myself to do MC again. But on a pet battles note, the level 3 menagerie has been giving me a pet everyday from the daily bag. So it should be pretty easy to get those 7 new pets.

I think blizzard fucked up when they introduced flying mounts.

Yes and no. Flying is awesome in a way, but it also breaks everything. And some flying mounts are so cool. Perhaps the best way would have been as soon as an expac is old you can fly there.

Good job Blizz...

inc 'solution' that encourages other weird things to get more missions

Krassus

Our problems came from positioning and tank BS.

Ranged weren't placed all the way back towards the wall, causing stuff to spawn towards the middle and they'd run the red cloud stuff all over the damn place despite telling them to run it one way.

The Tank stuff I couldn't figure out what was going on. One of the Berserker adds would spawn, somehow hit the MT and everything would go to hell.

We got to fighting the 2 Shards a couple of times, but we never got further than that.

As a tank this fight is really easy, you have to split the adds once the 4 pop from one of his splits of they buff and rape.

So 1 Tectus or 2 Tectus = np, put melee on left foot and ranged behind him with room behind them to kite.

Tectus x4 and Tectus x1 big needs to be split to MT1 has 3 littles and MT2 has 1 little 1 big. As MT1 has one of his 3 die he peels the other. Really once you get here you have pretty much won unless someone does something hugely dumb.

Twins after him are a freebie too, the juice is worth the squeeze :)

Mupod

Did Everbloom and UBRS with some returning day 1 vanilla friends (hunter, healer monk) last night, got a couple drops which put me just over the threshold to do heroics. That is, I had 610 possible item level, but not all of it was tank gear or even equipped.

We went anyways, and got Bloodmaul Slag Mines. It was...well, it was something alright. I was surprised by the amount of damage I put out as a bear, I was #1 or #2 for most of the dungeon. My hunter friend passed me significantly on bosses, but the pugs we had were doing far far less than me.

The 'gauntlet' of fire guys really sucked and kept bugging out. We basically got corpse camped at the start of the dungeon and we all had to zone out and reset it. First boss (elemental ogre guy) was easy, second was a bit rough until I just had everyone else handle interrupts while I ran around spamming thrash.

Third (fire boulder guy) was fun times. Our warlock died instantly at the start of almost every attempt including the one we beat it on. Bear in mind this is a guy that had been shit talking us the whole dungeon. The fight itself reminded me of FF14's encounter design and I adapted pretty quickly to it, which is good because I had to do the last 20% with no healer and just my hunter friend alive.

Last boss was a pain in the ass. Wiped a couple times which made the warlock ragequit, we rejoiced because he was doing 5k dps. He was replaced by a 4k dps rogue that refused to interrupt the boss, but I was able to solo interrupt it with skull bash and improved faerie fire. Rogue left and we got a decent geared lock, beat it no problem after that.

Looking forward to the rest of the heroics, not quite looking forward to more DPS players who do less single target damage than the tank (or die at the start of fights) while talking about how everyone else is total shit. I also really, really need better gear...but I didn't feel like I was in much danger of dying. Which is odd because I felt like I was getting WRECKED in shadowmoon burial grounds normal the other day, I guess it was just my healer.

mclem

Which is odd because I felt like I was getting WRECKED in shadowmoon burial grounds normal the other day, I guess it was just my healer.

I have noticed that I consistently feel more in danger in SBG (and particularly on Ner'zhul) than I do in any other heroic. I'm not sure it's the healing. My guess - and I stress it's a guess - is that the Ner'zhul fight is very heavy on the magical damage, so I'm not blocking as much as I would elsewhere (and it being cone-based means that Holy Shield doesn't block it either).

Guesong

So I did a bit of Highmaul yesterday.

Gosh, people are bad. Be it red or purple, fire is fire. You'd think they'd learn after 10 years that fire is bad, but nope.

Anyways. So we bumped at Tectus, and reading the Wowhead guide, I had a question : can he target a Mistweaver Monk with his purple mist?

The guide says "ranged should stack (except Mistweavers)", yet never explains why. It may be RNG, but I never got picked for that Crystaline Mist. Is it because we "could" be in melee range, fistweaving, so Blizzard just made us to be a non-available target for that ability?

If so, I'm so going in with the melees next time. Screw getting killed by people who just run the mist into you.

Savitar

Very happy reading the official word that there won't be any flying any time soon, it definitely trivialized the world so much when it got introduced. Yes it's convenient sure, but it took away from the massive part of MMO. With how a lot of players seem to be in such a rush these days I kind of hope the actually having to ride their normal mounts around might teach some patience.

Pity it's not likely to happen, since the expansion launched the community seems to have managed to be worse. The chats are so bad I actually long for Barrens chat which seems like a bastion of sanity in comparison.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
did a lot of heroics as holy today, fun times, some stressful bosses with alot of dmg everywhere and alot of moving (bird boss in skyreach, last boss in ubrs...and another one I cant remember)

stance dancing as holy is much better now with the 10sec cd on chakras. still not used to the big cooldowns tho.

got alot of 630 stuff (including 2 heads after getting the MC head lol), and a ring with a socket, but the ring is kinda shitty for both healing and shadow so meh

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd love an official announcement for no flying in draenor, the game is a blast right now.

World pvp all over my server.
People all over the place to just pug with.
Traveling place is relevant again.

Hell it isn't even that hard to get around and I actually like the idea of flight paths being a thing again. Easy way to go afk while not fearing flying too far from your location.

I have a feeling when Taanan Jungle gets released though, that's when they are going to add flying.

I healed for the first time in years and what a nightmare it was. I had literally the worst group in my decade plus of playing WoW. You had the tank doing 52% of the group dmg, a rogue killing it at 6k dps, and the entire group sans the tank (who was fantastic) just took the most insane amount of dmg that I swear to fucking god they had to have been trolling me. Tank said it was the worst dps group he has ever seen in his entire time playing WoW too so I know I'm not crazy.

Ugh, I kinda wanted to be eased back into healing but I guess you don't get better and raid-ready by healing the easy groups.

Oak

Neo Member
Anyone here remember how long it took them to get exaulted with Kirin Tor (Wrath version)?

Looking in to getting the vendor mount and saving that bit extra would be nice!

Mupod

I'd love an official announcement for no flying in draenor, the game is a blast right now.

World pvp all over my server.
People all over the place to just pug with.
Traveling place is relevant again.

Hell it isn't even that hard to get around and I actually like the idea of flight paths being a thing again. Easy way to go afk while not fearing flying too far from your location.

I have a feeling when Taanan Jungle gets released though, that's when they are going to add flying.

didn't they say it was coming in 6.1? I haven't been following the expansion at all, got it on a whim last week.

The removal of flight let them do some cool stuff with the presentation of questing too - for example the intro to the anime birds in Spires of Arak. And it emphasizes doing all the story stuff even after hitting 100, so I have no idea what a flying mount would do to that kind of thing. Maybe only unlock it after finishing every storyline?

I'm definitely in the 'no flying' camp but from what I've seen we're the minority. And I highly doubt Blizzard won't cave eventually, if not in a month then by the end of the expansion for sure.

Being able to run around Nagrand in cat form stealthed at epic mount speed is more fun than flying anyways.

Not sure why people are so averse to the Apexis dailies. They take maybe 15-20 minutes and there are a variety of ways to increase your counter besides just "killing" things. It's kind of like questing in GW2 where you just do things in an area until the bar fills. Plus, I've been chasing the achievements in those areas while doing them.

I'll take one big daily with a variety of things to do over a bunch of small ones in various parts of the world any day. It takes far less time and allows me to move on and do other things.

Because it's boring as fuck.

I join a raid group, run around and try to tag everything for 15 mins.

How is that fun, it's fast, efficient, but boring as hell.

And the questing GW2 was fucking dogshit, I enjoyed a lot of things about that game, the questing wasn''t one of them.

Top Bottom