• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Lanrutcon

explored all of frostfire ridge on my dog, killed a few rares, captured a few pets, was fun

I really need to get more pets up to 25, does anyone have any advice for those garrison pet battles? I can only almost kill 1 of them, but the others just destroy me, I dont get it :/

You get 2 kinds of garrison pet battles: a battle against 1 single solitary badass pet, and then normal battles against 2 or 3. For the first kind, just howl bomb that shit (Valk -> Pandaren Water Spirit -> Chrom...google it for specifics). For the second kind, bring in specific pets to counter the enemy. It's a good a excuse to start building a nice stable of pets for the celestial tournament.

In case you thought otherwise: no, there isn't a single trio of badass pets you can use against everything. It's like Pokemon. Type advantage and moveset counters are king.

ZenaxPure

I really need to get more pets up to 25, does anyone have any advice for those garrison pet battles? I can only almost kill 1 of them, but the others just destroy me, I dont get it :/

Eh it's just like pokemon, type matching and a team that plays off each others strengths is how you beat them. You need to level a lot of different guys to max level as every one of those fights will require a different team. I've beaten all of them except 2 now and I haven't used the exact same team for any of the fights, I used a few pets multiple times, but, not the exact same team.

styl3s

Leveling a hunter as my alt and i am debating between Beast/Mark as leveling. I feel like Beast would be better for leveling and Mark for heroic/raiding but i have been out of the game for a long time.

Right now i am looking at Beast with

Glyphs Major
Misdirection
Mending
Chimeara

Glyphs Minor
Fetch
Tame Beast (since i want to tame all the beasts. ALL THE BEASTS.
Play Dead

Talents
Posthaste
Intimidation
Iron Hawk
Thrill of The Hunt
Blink Strikes
Barrage
Adaptation

Now, Beast was the best leveling spec the last time i played so i could be wrong, maybe marks is better. Talents/Glyphs i went with what sounds best with the specialty so i could be completely off.

styl3s

If MM is my main spec for end game i might just level with that unless Beast gives just a huge advantage in terms of pulling multiple mobs, burning through quest faster and better survivability etc.

Ok, I started the 100 instances now as holy priest, but everybody is taking damage. This isn't right is it? I'm running out of mana on trash mobs because everyone except me is taking damage

This isn't even heroics. Just regular 100 versions. Have 613 item level

It's like 3 instances in a row now where everyone is taking serious damage

Ok, I started the 100 instances now as holy priest, but everybody is taking damage. This isn't right is it? I'm running out of mana on trash mobs because everyone except me is taking damage

Grimrail has trash that spams easily avoided AOE
Shadowmoon has trash that spams AOE, some of it avoidable, some of it you just have to heal through.
The Everbloom has trash that spams easily avoided AOE
UBRS has trash that cleaves like a motherfucker, but if the tank stands in the right spot and people don't stand in fire it's easily avoided.
Skyreach has unusual mob CC/kill orders that not everybody is used to, but you can avoid all the AOE.

It's not just you. People are terrible at this game.

Boogdud

Really loving my Warlock now. I had the day off Friday and yesterday and went from iLvl 607 doing about 8.5 to 9k DPS to iLvl 621 and now doing 14.5k consistently in heroics. Looking forward to jumping into LFR Highmaul this week. Hoping I can find a guild too.

What spec/rotation? Destro seems pretty tough to get 14-15k at that ilvl. I don't have any experience in the other specs.

Ultratech

If MM is my main spec for end game i might just level with that unless Beast gives just a huge advantage in terms of pulling multiple mobs, burning through quest faster and better survivability etc.

BM is pretty awesome.

Slap your pet into Tank mode and Beast Cleave/Thunderclap all day. :D

As for Talents (or the ones I feel like getting into):
-T2: Binding Shot or Intimidation. Binding Shot requires your targets actually move for it to Stun though, but works against multiple mobs. Intimidation is just a straight-up Stun.
-T4: Hard to say. Dire Beast does more single-target damage, but Steady Focus is handy for AoE situations. I'd say it's up to you whatever you wanna use.
-T5: Blink Strikes usually. Be careful since your pet can bug out on some fights and try to teleport into a spot where it'll get stuck.
-T6: Glaive Toss/Barrage. Barrage is pretty awesome, but you better know how it works or you'll gonna pull EVERYTHING.

It sucks. Heroic pugs are brutal for healers.

Rapstah

There are bosses where everyone takes more or less unavoidable damage, but it shouldn't happen on trash. That SHOULD just be your DPS people standing in stuff they shouldn't stand in. Can't say for sure if I don't know the instance.

I heal Heroics as Holy Priest and it's basically more of the same. There's a trash mob in UBRS, after the dragon gauntlet boss, where there's an ogre who basically does the Smash Bros. hammer pickup and walks around aimlessly, essentially insta-killing people who stand near him.

I think Gold Proving Grounds is pretty representative of healing a bad group, if you want to get your rotation down. I pretty regularily die on wave 9 or 10.

BM is pretty awesome.

Slap your pet into Tank mode and Beast Cleave/Thunderclap all day. :D

As for Talents (or the ones I feel like getting into):
-T2: Binding Shot or Intimidation. Binding Shot requires your targets actually move for it to Stun though, but works against multiple mobs. Intimidation is just a straight-up Stun.
-T4: Hard to say. Dire Beast does more single-target damage, but Steady Focus is handy for AoE situations. I'd say it's up to you whatever you wanna use.
-T5: Blink Strikes usually. Be careful since your pet can bug out on some fights and try to teleport into a spot where it'll get stuck.
-T6: Glaive Toss/Barrage. Barrage is pretty awesome, but you better know how it works or you'll gonna pull EVERYTHING.

What pet you using for tenacity? Last time I played everyone was all about sporebats

And yeah, glad it's not just me then with my healing. Gonna keep trying though

Karl Hawk

Banned
The highest I downed Ko'ragh is now 20%. However, me and the pug I joined kept fucking up the fight due to the mechanics that keeps throwing at us

Hell, when we resorted to 3 soakers, it still didn't work nicely as the orbs keep on and on. Granted, some people (including me) were at fault to some of the wipes that occurred.
28 wipes as of now. ._.

Guess I need to admit the fact that I'm not gonna be able to clear normal Highmaul before the reset.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So you can help people kill normal mode bosses that you're locked out of right? How does ML work then? Could they still give you gear, or will it not allow them to trade?

The highest I downed Ko'ragh is now 20%. However, me and the pug I joined kept fucking up the fight due to the mechanics that keeps throwing at us

Hell, when we resorted to 3 soakers, it still didn't work nicely as the orbs keep on and on. Granted, some people (including me) were at fault to some of the wipes that occurred.
28 wipes as of now. ._.

Guess I need to admit the fact that I'm not gonna be able to clear normal Highmaul before the reset.

I got to 4% in some group yesterday. I think there were 4 soakers and the range managed the void zones well. I feel like we would have got it if everyone kept dpsing the boss during the shield recharge. He takes increased magic dmg then. I saw my dps jump from 6th to 3rd burning then. I feel like people's dps were lax being worried about the adds before they all spawned. The tank should gather them all up, and not be afraid to go inside the void zone with them for dps to aoe.. Every other group I've been in since has had problems with soaking and void zones.

arhra

So you can help people kill normal mode bosses that you're locked out of right? How does ML work then? Could they still give you gear, or will it not allow them to trade?

You won't appear on the ML list, and won't be eligible for trades in the usual 2h window.

Man, is there anyone here that plays a disc priest that can give me some tips? I tried skyreach cm yesterday and got absolutely obliterated, so I think I need to take a step back and see where I'm messing up, because it was AWFUL! Up to this point I really hadn't questioned my healing ability, but after that horrible showing,I feel I got a ways to go...

ampere

Anybody have experience/use Big Wigs over DBM? Was using VEM in late Mists, but that was intentionally broken by the DBM author for the time being. DBM currently has a bug for me where the bar positions reset on login/logout/reloadui - I can't stand it right now. So much so that I'm thinking about Big Wigs.

I can't stand DBM, have been using Bigwigs exclusively for raiding over the past few years. I still have DBM installed occasionally for dungeon mods. I find Bigwigs more reliable, just make sure to update frequently

antonz

New interview with wow devs.

some tidbits from MMO-champ

Classes
•We will see small class balance changes this Monday, before Highmaul Mythic is released. At most, a 5-10% range of changes.
•The first week of raid data is invaluable when making balance adjustments.
•If you don't see any changes for your spec/class, the design team probably thinks you're doing well from a numerical standpoint.
•Shamans need a bump, they're on the low side at the moment.
•They'd like to improve Elemental's mobile damage, but it will have to wait until 6.1 as it will require significant changes.
•All Mages are on the low end of the spectrum, and will be receiving buffs.
•Frost, the most played spec, is a lot lower than they'd like.
•The necessity of Crit on Fire Mages is problematic early on. They'll figure out a way to adjust it.
•Lots of players are playing Gladiator Warrior because of how well it is doing, and will be toned down a bit.
•Players gravitate towards the spec which deals the most damage, and Gladiator shouldn't be the answer for Warriors.
•Playstyle changes shouldn't be made via a hotfix, like the recent Warlock embers change. Players need more warning before that happens.
•They tried to remove a lot of positional requirements, which is why Glyph of Blackout Kick was removed.
•They may have gone too far with the removal of large heals. This could be addressed in the future via talents.
•There's a change we'll see them ease up on class restrictions for gnomes. Gnome Hunter is probably one of the more likely combinations.

Nice to see they realize Mages are in a pretty bad spot. Surprised they are so negative on frost though. While it wont top the chart due to most encounters punishing casters with a lot of movement it seems pretty decent yet they say performing way worse then they want.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
•Lots of players are playing Gladiator Warrior because of how well it is doing, and will be toned down a bit.
•Players gravitate towards the spec which deals the most damage, and Gladiator shouldn't be the answer for Warriors.
They're not going to buff the other specs are they?

Gnome Hunters would be cool. There's at least one or two Gnome Hunter NPCs I've seen around the world.

ZenaxPure

My eyes fixated on that last sentence first and I thought they were going to announce a gnome hunter class. I think that would be more exciting than gnomes being able to be hunters.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Anybody have experience/use Big Wigs over DBM? Was using VEM in late Mists, but that was intentionally broken by the DBM author for the time being. DBM currently has a bug for me where the bar positions reset on login/logout/reloadui - I can't stand it right now. So much so that I'm thinking about Big Wigs.

I don't know if I can bring myself to replace DBM with Big Wigs.

I'd like to see what are the advantages that Big Wigs has over DBM in terms of raiding before I consider.

Man, is there anyone here that plays a disc priest that can give me some tips? I tried skyreach cm yesterday and got absolutely obliterated, so I think I need to take a step back and see where I'm messing up, because it was AWFUL! Up to this point I really hadn't questioned my healing ability, but after that horrible showing,I feel I got a ways to go...

I don't heal as a priest, I play druid. But I've done plenty of research and Disc is really not a strong spec for 5 mans. Your pure throughput as Disc is just super low once you get passed absorbs. It's okayish in raids even if Holy is really outshining it on most fights.

For CMs though I would for sure go Holy. Disc really doesn't have the tools to deal with large aoe spikes of damage.

Rokam

-There will be internal discussion about the number of high level garrison missions you receive.
-The change to salvage crates was made not because they're worried about you leveling up your followers' item levels too quickly, but because they don't want you to feel like you need to keep a low level follower around to make proper use of your garrison.

Does Blizzard not see the stupidity here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Happy to hear it. A lot of people saw gladiator as either a PVP spec or a 'hey tanks can have an easier time when they want to dps' rather than a dedicated PVE spec. Which is what it seems like what Blizzard intended for it.

TheYanger

Does Blizzard not see the stupidity here.

What's the problem? They want you to get more missions, and at the same time want you to not have to keep a range of lower followers to spam missions on to maximize your salvage. I'm ok with this change, it means I don't need a 90 and 96 active at ALL times in order to keep my 100s rolling.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, they need to buff the number of level 100 missions a bit. Most of my followers are just sitting there the whole day doing nothing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was talking to a guy in guild about this, and I know they nerfed the elemental and buffed the wolves for Enhancement, but I kind of think Enhancement should lose the Elemental(the Earth one might as well be gone it's that shitty now) but gain a much stronger set of Wolves. They're such a cool, iconic ability of Enhancement where as the Fire Elemental looks like a slow plodding mess that might fit an Elemental better.

Let me sacrifice a fire elemental to spec my feral spirits into ghost wolves... on fire.

Also I'm not gonna get excited about the warrior thing until they make Arms fun to play again

What spec/rotation? Destro seems pretty tough to get 14-15k at that ilvl. I don't have any experience in the other specs.

I am Destro. On a boss usually I'll pop the skill that increases crit, Immolate, Conflag, Incinerate x3, Conflag, Incinerate x3, kind of repeat that while keeping Immolate up until I'm at 3.5 or so Embers, then I'll Conflag and Chaos Bolt. Then I'll Shadowburn under 20%. The funny thing is I think you are "supposed" to use the crit increase skill with Chaos Bolt but I usually don't. I'm not sure if that's the ideal rotation but it works for me. On a boss like the second in Skyreach where you don't have to move much it'll get me 14.5 or so. On something like Ner'Zhul or the first boss in Skyreach it'll be a little lower because of the movement. I use the Terrorguard for pet, using the Lv 100 talent that makes them permanent.

Armory is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/Mcdreamy/simple

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So followers that can be assigned to work at plots... Should I just basically stick them in there and never worry about them again? Seems like it would be a waste to bother leveling them over the ones who can't benefit plots.

Won

Blizzard already hating on Gladiator? I guess people are having too much fun. Can't have that.

So followers that can be assigned to work at plots... Should I just basically stick them in there and never worry about them again? Seems like it would be a waste to bother leveling them over the ones who can't benefit plots.

You want them at level 100 otherwise they don't guarantee you the double pay out. Quality and ilvl on the other side can be ignored.

vocab

Blizzard already hating on Gladiator? I guess people are having too much fun. Can't have that.

No, the problems is that a) its the best dps spec. B) arms is unplayable, but has alright aoe. C) fury sucks. d) actively has to compete on tank gear.

Looking forward to see how much nerf WW and MM are getting. As much as I love WW, fof hits too hard, so if theres a 5% nerf with just that I'll be fine.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wow, they're going to nerf Glad again? So, they make Fury and Arms be completely unfun and horrible and now they're going to make people play those specs. That's awesome.

Warriors are in a pretty shit spot right now.

[edit]

I really cannot understand how they let Arms out of beta in the state that it currently is. Thiis is the worst Arms has ever been.

Rokam

What's the problem? They want you to get more missions, and at the same time want you to not have to keep a range of lower followers to spam missions on to maximize your salvage. I'm ok with this change, it means I don't need a 90 and 96 active at ALL times in order to keep my 100s rolling.

Except they made the change to the crates w/o buffing the amount of level 100 missions... And they said they're going to have a discussion about max level missions, not fixing it soon.

Ugh, Gladiator nerfs. I don't see why it can't be the top dps spec, not that I want/don't want it to be, I just want arms/fury to be atleast comparable, which it isn't. If they don't give a buff to atleast fury tomorrow... they really have no idea.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugh, Gladiator nerfs. I don't see why it can't be the top dps spec, not that I want/don't want it to be, I just want arms/fury to be atleast comparable, which it isn't. If they don't give a buff to atleast fury tomorrow... they really have no idea.

Because a spec based on a passive talent is too hard to balance competitively.

cdyhybrid

They only need to be working when you collect your work orders.

What I do is collect all the finished missions when I log in, assign workers, go correct ask the work orders from the previous day, in assign them, and then send everyone out on missions.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"we're hearing really positive things about Arms right now"
"what is wrong with 25 percent free gcd?"

Arms is fucked up.

antonz

I'd like to know what data they are looking at that says frost mages dps is too low... what in the world.

That's what I don't get. Its not amazing but its pretty darn good. For them to specifically say frost is performing way below their expectations is mindblowing. Fire and Arcane totally blow yet they specifically look at frost as the major issue

Lanrutcon

That's what I don't get. Its not amazing but its pretty darn good. For them to specifically say frost is performing way below their expectations is mindblowing. Fire and Arcane totally blow yet they specifically look at frost as the major issue

As a Warlock I'm like...Frost is not fine, and Destruction is? I must be playing my class completely wrong then.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gladiator spec is a failed experiment that will only bring down Warriors this season. The problems are obvious on paper, with defensive statistics directly yielding damage bonuses that outpace pure damage alternatives. At the same time, Gladiator spec has access to Protection specs heavy defensive cooldowns, generous cleave, and improved mobility. Now Prot spec tanks will suffer as Blizzard tries to bring Glad stance into line. What is even the true goal of Gladiator stance? Warriors weren't lacking damage options, but the straight damage specs feel over-pruned and poorly nurtured while Blizzard is futzing around with an unneeded damage/tank permutation. If they wanted to actually do something interesting they should have added a tanking talent to Demonology.

Top Bottom