• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Trickster

Gotta respect Paragon for being able to reclaim the throne in the first try.

But man, I just don't like 'em. Their insistence on only having finnish speaking people in their roster just seems super arrogant considering that they compete for the title as top raiding guild in the world.

Not to mention their kill videos generally suck compared to methods imo.

TheYanger

But man, I just don't like 'em. Their insistence on only having finnish speaking people in their roster just seems super arrogant considering that they compete for the title as top raiding guild in the world.

Well I mean, it's the core's first language, they don't want to have to suddenly start speaking another damn language just to accomodate a few recruits. I'm more surprised that enough top tier in the world players can be in such a small overlap of criteria to consistently be the best. I mean it's really telling that the US is such a shitshow in comparison to say ,Method (which still has a bigger recruitment pool due to being English speaking) and even moreso in comparison to Paragon. There are just SO MANY more players to recruit in the US (Though time zones cut that down a bit, at the poopsock world first level that should be largely irrelevant).

Peachpies

how is that any different from a US guild only having English speakers

royalan

n00b Question:

So I'm at level 100. I've done the majority of quests in the zones. I've taken on most of the elite mobs that I've come across...but I'm still at item level 590.

Like, I can't even do dungeons. This is so embarrassing. :(

As a Hunter, what's the best way to get my item level up? I'm equipping the best stuff I come across, but everything I read says that I need to do dungeons to get better stuff. Dungeons I can't access because of my low item level. :(

Atlantis

n00b Question:

So I'm at level 100. I've done the majority of quests in the zones. I've taken on most of the elite mobs that I've come across...but I'm still at item level 590.

As a Hunter, what's the best way to get my item level up? I'm equipping the best stuff I come across, but everything I read says that I need to do dungeons to get better stuff. Dungeons I can't access because of my low item level. :(

After finishing Talador, I built a War Mill and finished leveling in Nagrand. With a bit of luck with quest rewards/rare drops upgrading, you can hit 610 pretty easily. A Darkmoon Faire trinket and the ring from the legendary quest (Skyreach requires 580ilvl) help a lot, too.

Not sure how available this will be to you, since you said you've completed most quests.

n00b Question:

You should be able to reach 600 ilvl from doing all the quests in Nagrand. The majority of quest rewards there are over 600 ilvl.

Peachpies

n00b Question:

if you do all the quests and rare mobs in nagrand you should be well above that, you can also get 610+ gear from follower missions,

You should still be able to queue for normal Skyreach, which drops ilvl 600 gear. Being on the first stage of the legendary ring quest should reward you with an ilvl 640 ring which is a nice boost.

Mooch off tags of the world boss up this week on your realm (likely Drov the Ruiner) for a shot at an ilvl 650 drop.

Make sure you do Proving Grounds bronze at least for a 610 weapon.

Garrison quests should start offering ilvl 610 blues if your followers have kept up.

Trickster

Well I mean, it's the core's first language, they don't want to have to suddenly start speaking another damn language just to accomodate a few recruits. I'm more surprised that enough top tier in the world players can be in such a small overlap of criteria to consistently be the best. I mean it's really telling that the US is such a shitshow in comparison to say ,Method (which still has a bigger recruitment pool due to being English speaking) and even moreso in comparison to Paragon. There are just SO MANY more players to recruit in the US (Though time zones cut that down a bit, at the poopsock world first level that should be largely irrelevant).

I am very well aware of it's the core's first language. But it's the implied arrogance of saying "we want to be the best in the world at this, but we're only gonna use people from a tiny percentage of the population". I mean it obviously works for them, but I kinda wish it didnt. I'd love for a guild with players from lots of different countries to beat them consistently and basically tell them "no you don't get to be the best when you only take players from that tiny percentage of players".

how is that any different from a US guild only having English speakers

Really?

I am very well aware of it's the core's first language. But it's the implied arrogance of saying "we want to be the best in the world at this, but we're only gonna use people from a tiny percentage of the population". I mean it obviously works for them, but I kinda wish it didnt. I'd love for a guild with players from lots of different countries to beat them consistently and basically tell them "no you don't get to be the best when you only take players from that tiny percentage of players".

Really?

"Arrogance"? Are you for real dude? A tight-knit group of players who are recruiting from a substantially smaller pool than most guilds is still able to compete with, and at times best them, and you believe this is a negative? I've never been so baffled at a post in my life.

Trickster

what about it, or do you just have something against people speaking their own language?

You realize that very few people on the EU server speak finnish, right? Aiming to be the best raiding guild in the world while having a "finnish speaking people only" requirement means they limit their pool of players to choose from, by an extreme amount.

To me that just seems like a very arrogant thing to do, even if it works for them. Makes me want a guild who doesn't place such an extreme limitation on themselves win instead.

"Arrogance"? Are you for real dude? A tight-knit group of players who are recruiting from a substantially smaller pool than most guilds is still able to compete with, and at times best them, and you believe this is a negative? I've never been so baffled at a post in my life.

Yeah, arrogance. What else would you call placing a huge handicap on yourself on purpose, in a competitive enviroment, and still say you're aiming to win?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's amazing that they do win the races. I don't get how they pull it off tbh, they obviously do however. But I do find their language requirement pretty arrogant given their goals, yes. And if that's the most baffling post you've seen on neogaf then that's cool I guess.

Apt101

I've been killing the first boss in Shadowmoon Burial Grounds since I hit level 100 for that pole arm. It wouldn't even be an upgrade at this point, I just want it. Ran it about 30 times, always the lone two-hander melee DPS. Never seen it drop. But I will have it. I ran Scholomance like 100 times for the gear out of there back in the day even when I didn't need it. I can do this.

Peachpies

You realize that very few people on the EU server speak finnish, right? Aiming to be the best raiding guild in the world while having a "finnish speaking people only" requirement means they limit their pool of players to choose from, by an extreme amount.

To me that just seems like a very arrogant thing to do, even if it works for them. Makes me want a guild who doesn't place such an extreme limitation on themselves win instead.
Ok, so being in a guild that speaks your language and being good at the game makes you arrogant, got it.

Yep, that's exactly what I said *thumbs up*

"I can't believe these people who speak one language are trying to be competitive in an environment where communication is absolutely imperative. The gall of them, not to all buy Rosetta Stone and recruit the best English speaking players."

Apt101

I wouldn't accuse them of arrogance, but it seems exclusionary assuming they also speak and write other languages. I always assume Nordic people do, because they tend to speak and write English better than most Americans. I don't knock them for it though - if they only want to speak and write Finnish, fuck it, more power to them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's... a strategic choice, since high-end raiding relies as much on teamwork as on individual skill, perhaps moreso. There's no arrogance here unless they're actively being xenophobic on their forums.

Sure, X or Y non-Finnish speaker might be a better player than someone in Paragon, but that won't necessarily offset the communications gap, or the extra effort the leadership would have to expend on bridging all linguistic barriers. Assembling the top 20 players in the world for any game and dumping them into a team doesn't automatically give you the best team in the world.

And if they've managed to remain competitive despite drawing from a much smaller pool of players, maybe they have the right of it.

Arcayne

If anything, hats off to them even more for being one of the world's top raiding guilds with such a 'small pool of players' available to them.

Don't see anything reasonably wrong with requiring a certain language to join, its what the core/guild speaks. I can't seem to understand your argument and point.

Kraftwerk

Easier to 'full-time raid' in Europe than it is in America via unemployment.

Literal welfare epics.

lel, Pretty much everyone in Method works or goes to school. Hell, Sco the GM is a financial advisor/analyst. I know a bunch of folk in Paragon have jobs as well from one of their interviews.

Europe just appreciates the gaming culture more and nourishes it. A lot more acceptable there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm sorry, but the concept of people who legitimately care about the US vs. the EU in the realm of bosskilling in Warcraft is incredibly laughable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lel, Pretty much everyone in Method works or goes to school. Hell, Sco the GM is a financial advisor/analyst. I know a bunch of folk in Paragon have jobs as well from one of their interviews.

Europe just appreciates the gaming culture more and nourishes it. A lot more acceptable there.

That's why Preach said he stopped raiding in Method because he had a family to take care of?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
3 of my 5 characters (all horde) are 100. I think I might transfer the other 2 to alliance to see things from the other side. Plus alliance garrisons look badass.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is that supposed to be definitive proof that nobody in a guild such as Method has a life?

Is Sco having a job supposed to prove that everyone in Method has a life? My brother's a financial advisor, and he spents a large chunk of time working from home and making his own hours. It's nothing to do with 'gaming' being more appreciated in Europe. It's everything to do with European/Australian unemployment vs American unemployment. It's been that way going all the way back to Everquest.

Alliance garrison looks like a real fortress compared to the horde camping tends layout, I guess horde didnt care about protecting the buildings at all.

Kraftwerk

Is Sco having a job supposed to prove that everyone in Method has a life? My brother's a financial advisor, and he spents a large chunk of time working from home and making his own hours. It's nothing to do with 'gaming' being more appreciated in Europe. It's everything to do with European/Australian unemployment vs American unemployment. It's been that way going all the way back to Everquest.

huh?

Most of the guys in Method such as Sco have a good job that can support them, and they can take vacation through the year during progression. Last number I heard was two weeks. That is nothing if you think about it. Taking 10 days off from an entire year so you can focus on a raid tier.

Besides, once you have a family and kids it is different. you cannot just sit by the PC for two full weeks or however long and completely neglect your wife and child. Thats why Preach quit that top-end raiding style.

Cannot believe some people are legitimately saying that top raiders are all on unemployment. Go ask Sco, Trecki,e Rogerbrown, and the Paragon streamers on twitch They will all tell you how each of them either work full time or go to school and work part time. They have even commented many times how they pretty much have to clear the tier in those initial days or they wil fall behind, since members have to go back to work, school etc.

Yeah, obviously some could possibly not work and be on unemployment or whatever, but the stereotype of the wow raider with no life needs to die.

Finalboss TV has a great series of interviews with a ton of the top end raiders, and a lot of them containcs them saying what they do for work.

cdyhybrid

Anyone here in a competent raiding guild that accepts social members and does alt raids that I could come on (as an aforementioned social member)? Taking a shot in the dark :p Low drama if at all possible ;)

Don't really expect to be doing Mythic, but I'd like to at least take shots at Heroic at some point.

Tamanon

Banned
Alliance garrison looks like a real fortress compared to the horde camping tends layout, I guess horde didnt care about protecting the buildings at all.

To be fair, the Horde Garrison has much more defensible land. Alliance one is just in the middle of a plain.

vocab

Yeah, obviously some could possibly not work and be on unemployment or whatever, but the stereotype of the wow raider with no life needs to die.

I have no life and no job and only raid three days a week. There's a difference between completing content, and going for world firsts. The amount of time spent raiding is a lot of time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cannot believe some people are legitimately saying that top raiders are all on unemployment. Go ask Sco, Trecki,e Rogerbrown, and the Paragon streamers on twitch They will all tell you how each of them either work full time or go to school and work part time. They have even commented many times how they pretty much have to clear the tier in those initial days or they wil fall behind, since members have to go back to work, school etc.

Part of it is because guys in the US can't imagine being able to take 10 days off from work like that, you're lucky if your job offer's a week's vacation. It's hard to grasp that large swaths of Europe have mandatory vacation days, that some places even go up to a month's worth. They just have their own experience of hardly any time off to go by, they can't imagine anything better and think the rest of the world works the same way because if Europe does then why don't we?

Anyone here in a competent raiding guild that accepts social members and does alt raids that I could come on (as an aforementioned social member)? Taking a shot in the dark :p Low drama if at all possible ;)

Don't really expect to be doing Mythic, but I'd like to at least take shots at Heroic at some point.

Well, if you're East Coast US my guild has been talking about rebuilding after a break during Pandaria. We've got a couple of healers and tanks already set, it's just a matter of solidifying what we want to do and starting our recruitment. That said we're still talking and it might be a little bit before we get off the ground again, trying to figure out how to avoid all the bullshit drama and stress, but we've had pretty good raid progression in the past.

Top Bottom