• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

cdyhybrid

Well, if you're East Coast US my guild has been talking about rebuilding after a break during Pandaria. We've got a couple of healers and tanks already set, it's just a matter of solidifying what we want to do and starting our recruitment. That said we're still talking and it might be a little bit before we get off the ground again, trying to figure out how to avoid all the bullshit drama and stress, but we've had pretty good raid progression in the past.

Possibly! The reason I asked for what I specifically did is that I don't want to commit to set raiding times (at least not yet), so I'd like to have the option of just jumping into a flexible (i.e. Normal or Heroic), non-serious alt raid if I happen to be around.

And I like to play DPS first and foremost so that wouldn't be a problem :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Possibly! The reason I asked for what I specifically did is that I don't want to commit to set raiding times (at least not yet), so I'd like to have the option of just jumping into a flexible (i.e. Normal or Heroic), non-serious alt raid if I happen to be around.

And I like to play DPS first and foremost so that wouldn't be a problem :p

Well, we'd probably set times to start with but it wouldn't be more than a few days a week. Probably Tuesday/Wednesday night or Tuesday/Thursday night. Odds are they'll be some alt raids on the weekends, like we did in Cata, after we're more solid and have the numbers to justify it. We're still smoothing stuff out though, so, as I said, it might take a little while.

cdyhybrid

Well, we'd probably set times to start with but it wouldn't be more than a few days a week. Probably Tuesday/Wednesday night or Tuesday/Thursday night. Odds are they'll be some alt raids on the weekends, like we did in Cata, after we're more solid and have the numbers to justify it. We're still smoothing stuff out though, so, as I said, it might take a little while.

Yeah, I'll probably hold off for now then. I appreciate the answer, though. It's better for both of us if I don't jump in now, I think.

Is there an easy reference for server time zones and population? Specifically looking for a Pacific time zone server with a strong Horde population (both numbers and progression-wise).

Gvaz

Banned
I need a ui pack that doesn't suck and isn't overly minimalistic. Any recs? I also need to move bars and HAVE to have letters/numbers on visible hotbars.

Megasoum

Banned
The whole loot spec thing is cool but at the same time I kinda miss the old way. I feel like it was easier to build up both your dps and healing set at the same time as you were progressing through the zones.

The whole loot spec thing is cool but at the same time I kinda miss the old way. I feel like it was easier to build up both your dps and healing set at the same time as you were progressing through the zones.

Thing was in some zones there were few pieces for your spec and in the case of Northrend and to a lesser extent Outland they were itemized so horribly that they sucked anyways.

Megasoum

Banned
Thing was in some zones there were few pieces for your spec and in the case of Northrend and to a lesser extent Outland they were itemized so horribly that they sucked anyways.

Yeah of course.

Also I noticed the the ret pally gear I got so far has INT on it which is useless for Ret so I guess I get hybrid gear?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I need a ui pack that doesn't suck and isn't overly minimalistic. Any recs? I also need to move bars and HAVE to have letters/numbers on visible hotbars.

Elvui?

Ashodin

Yeah of course.

Also I noticed the the ret pally gear I got so far has INT on it which is useless for Ret so I guess I get hybrid gear?

yep plate gear inherently has intellect on it, so when you swap specs, it will use the INT instead of STR. All you need is INT weapons now.

Megasoum

Banned
yep plate gear inherently has intellect on it, so when you swap specs, it will use the INT instead of STR. All you need is INT weapons now.

So does that mean that there's no "true" healing plate or there's still a split when you get to the higher end stuff?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
is there a better example of true spawn camping than the godfather?

gukbottom-deadside.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
FFXI had spawn camping ingrained in it more than EQ or AC did in my opinion.. the economy was built on like 3 specific mobs in vanilla/zilart.

ampere

I had a lot of fun following the WF race, Paragon wins as always. I don't know how Sejta does it, but that guy is just amazing at running a guild. They have such a tight roster too, only 21 raiders afaik, which is tiny compared to the big 30+ ones like Method/BL.

Does Rukmat even spawn yet or is he born when black rock foundry releases?

When BRF comes out. Pretty mount he has.

Gvaz

Banned
How the fuck do I get back to orgrimmar? I don't want to do this garrison crap anymore, i want to go fishing and play pokemon on this boosted char.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So unless you're really adamant about raiding right this second... There's no reason to use LFG whatsoever after hitting 620. LFR has quicker queues, quicker times(or close to it) and better gear. I can't complain because it's made me more likely to gear my alts in case I ever decide to take them to normal raiding than the 30 minute dungeon queues have.

Oh and I guess you do those few you have to do for the legendary.

Take your lightning shield off for the first grab. Then you'll be fine after that.

I got him, but I'll keep that in mind for next week. Trying to get that tier set, looks so good on Draenei.

Such an obscure bug, had to laugh a little when I saw it was tied to shamans.

This is good to know. I've been doing the fight for the last three or four weeks and just dealing with the disconnect by logging back on very quickly and hoping I can free myself from the tentacle. It's really neat when the tentacle has me in a place where it determines I can't place a totem (too high from the ground?) so then I have to sit for five minutes as it slowly kills me.

That fight is absolute garbage as enhance (and maybe other specs that don't have an easy way to AoE).

Peachpies

Heart and do no heals or cenearius and do damage while healing?

Whut?

healing from dream of cenarius is not very much and wrath does not hit very hard by itself. with heart of the wild you can do a ton of damage at the start of the fight when you have lust + potion and you are not needed for healing. Could be natures vigil too.

lazygecko

This is good to know. I've been doing the fight for the last three or four weeks and just dealing with the disconnect by logging back on very quickly and hoping I can free myself from the tentacle. It's really neat when the tentacle has me in a place where it determines I can't place a totem (too high from the ground?) so then I have to sit for five minutes as it slowly kills me.

That fight is absolute garbage as enhance (and maybe other specs that don't have an easy way to AoE).

Soloing as enhancement in general is just awkward because of how different all the class mechanics are. When I was leveling skinning and leatherworking I had to go to Sunken Temple to mass pull dragonkin and skin them all. But killing mobs with magma totem/fire elemental will not count and won't make them lootable. And a flame shock will just oneshot a mob at that level so it's not possible to spread it with lava lash for fire nova.

The best strategy for Yogg Saron is apparently to always have magma totem pre-placed and then use totemic projection when you get tentacled.

Soloing as enhancement in general is just awkward because of how different all the class mechanics are. When I was leveling skinning and leatherworking I had to go to Sunken Temple to mass pull dragonkin and skin them all. But killing mobs with magma totem/fire elemental will not count and won't make them lootable. And a flame shock will just oneshot a mob at that level so it's not possible to spread it with lava lash for fire nova.

The best strategy for Yogg Saron is apparently to always have magma totem pre-placed and then use totemic projection when you get tentacled.

That's what I've been doing with magma totem since figuring that out. It's still garbage.

Part of it is really just my own frustration from not knowing the mechanics well (or maybe it gets somewhat buggy when solo-ing?). When I first started doing it I'd go into the portal and despite going very quickly I'd do around 2/3 the damage to his heart or brain or whatever it is and then I'd be ejected and insta-killed. So now I tend to pop everything and do as much damage as I can while running towards it and stay for maybe an extra few seconds before I take the portal out. Usually the damage ticks enough that it enters the next phase but occasionally I have to take a second portal in to finish the last little bit of health.

I have no idea why I'm insta-killed with how quickly I do damage at level 100 since I remember that was something that could happen in the regular fight if the group inside was slow.

Getting Mimiron's Head and Invincible will be fantastic as those raids aren't much fun to run through to solo. There's too many things that slow down fights with story bits or mechanics that favor being able to do ranged damage (e.g. Mimiron). Almost makes me want to make my second spec elemental to swap for a couple of the fights. I never use the resto spec I played with on the second spec so probably no reason I shouldn't give that a shot.

IIRC it actually took two brain/portal phases on average to get to P3 when it was current. I think 3 was pretty much a wipe. So you had to jump out ahead of time to avoid getting MCed.

Anyway, yeah I'm like never going into ICC or Ulduar again once I have Invincible/Mimiron's Head. Except for maybe transmog on some newer characters. I don't have a Val'anyr, but I suppose I could work on that at some point as well. Instances are just so damn long to complete. Checking them off will save me ~25-40 minutes each week per instance per character I run them on.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
IIRC it actually took two brain/portal phases on average to get to P3 when it was current. I think 3 was pretty much a wipe. So you had to jump out ahead of time to avoid getting MCed.

Anyway, yeah I'm like never going into ICC or Ulduar again once I have Invincible/Mimiron's Head. Except for maybe transmog on some newer characters. I don't have a Val'anyr, but I suppose I could work on that at some point as well. Instances are just so damn long to complete. Checking them off will save me ~25-40 minutes each week per instance per character I run them on.

Get an alt saved after killing sindragosa/vezex.

Extend the lockout each week, invite a friend to the party and make it a 25 player raid, give them assist. Log into your main/any character than can do it and have your friend invite you to the group. Friend quickly leaves group. Fly into the instance and accept the save. For ICC you wait a few minutes and are made leader, you can then set it to heroic, for Ulduar you just port straight to Yogg and kill him.

I basically kill just the lich king/yogg saron every week on 3-4 characters and share the save with my friends and all their characters whenever they want it. It's the best. I keep a save of firelands up to ragnaros saved as well, but I have the firehawk so it's just for my friends.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I've read the official general forums. And.... yeah, I think I'm better off discussing WoW around here.

Regarding ICC/Ulduar, I've did them once with a small group. It may be because you can easily steamroll them, but they never did a huge impression on me. Though I can say the aesthetic and the design of Ulduar looks cool.

If I had played WoW during the WoLTK-era, maybe both of them would had a huge impression on me (WoLTK wasn't very memorable in terms of raids besides ICC/Ulduar, wasn't it?).

Top Bottom