• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

DarkJC

If you don't have RL friends that play, join a guild. If the guild sucks, join another one. You can still 'play solo' while you're in a guild, the difference being that when you DO want to do group content, there are people you can easily reach out to to play with, and you can add the real gems to your friends list to make grouping up even easier later.

Hell, with cross-server groups, it's even easier these days. I usually run CMs with someone who doesn't even play on the same server, but met them through the in-game group tool. I added them to my friends list and now they've done several medal runs with us.

I never understood the mentality that if you don't have RL friends playing you don't have people you can group with. I've never played WoW with any of my RL friends and found all the people I play with through the various guilds I've joined. I raided back in Wrath and Cata, and rejoined for Warlords. Of course my old guild didn't exist, so I found a new one and picked back up where I left off.

There are so many guilds recruiting on my server that I'll never run out of options if this one turns out to suck for some reason. If your server lacks options then it's really worth it to server transfer to one with more population and more choice.

TheYanger

I have no clue what you're even talking about now.

You said I was raging about EU vs US. Because I explained some stuff about it which was relevent to the discussion at hand. None of that post was ragey in the least. But fine, continue to either act ignorant or be ignorant, I'm done caring which you are.

royalan

If you don't have RL friends that play, join a guild. If the guild sucks, join another one. You can still 'play solo' while you're in a guild, the difference being that when you DO want to do group content, there are people you can easily reach out to to play with, and you can add the real gems to your friends list to make grouping up even easier later.

Hell, with cross-server groups, it's even easier these days. I usually run CMs with someone who doesn't even play on the same server, but met them through the in-game group tool. I added them to my friends list and now they've done several medal runs with us.

I never understood the mentality that if you don't have RL friends playing you don't have people you can group with. I've never played WoW with any of my RL friends and found all the people I play with through the various guilds I've joined. I raided back in Wrath and Cata, and rejoined for Warlords. Of course my old guild didn't exist, so I found a new one and picked back up where I left off.

There are so many guilds recruiting on my server that I'll never run out of options if this one turns out to suck for some reason. If your server lacks options then it's really worth it to server transfer to one with more population and more choice.

I've joined two guilds since I returned for WoD, and I have the same complaint with both of them: They're only together for the guild perks it seems. Just large guilds full of a bunch of people who don't seem to interact with each other much outside of a few exchanges in guild chat. A laughable guild bank, and no real organization or structure. Just a completely different experience than when I first started seriously playing WoW during the late BC days.

I've honestly gotten more help from yelling into Trade Chat than I've gotten from the guild I'm currently in, and the only reason I haven't left and joined another one is because I don't see why the experience would be any different.

erawsd

I appreciate their attempts to create breathing room and space out the content a bit, but I'm not at all a fan of all the time-gating and 24-hour cooldowns they're employing to do it.

If people want to grind, let them grind.

Gating and 24hr cooldowns have always been a huge part of WoW though. If anything, this expansion is probably the most generous in terms of gear acquisition.

Horsemen in WOTLK was still harder than current LFR.

Which I don't mind. I use LFR like Timeless Isle now. Just a quick way to gear alts.

Yeah, WoD LFR is truly "tourist mode" now. I suspect Blizzard wants Normal to be the go to for pug groups. Thats why they've removed all tier sets and trinkets from LFR.

DarkJC

I've joined two guilds since I returned for WoD, and I have the same complaint with both of them: They're only together for the guild perks it seems. Just large guilds full of a bunch of people who don't seem to interact with each other much outside of a few exchanges in guild chat. A laughable guild bank, and no real organization or structure. Just a completely different experience than when I first started seriously playing WoW during the late BC days.

I've honestly gotten more help from yelling into Trade Chat than I've gotten from the guild I'm currently in, and the only reason I haven't left and joined another one is because I don't see why the experience would be any different.

Then join different guilds? The sample size of 2 has convinced you that everyone has a tight knit group and everyone else is fucked?

I had the same experience as you, except during BC. I joined a few large dead end guilds with no organization and that heavily contributed to why I didn't really raid during BC. So maybe the difference between you and me is that I'm already aware that sometimes it takes more than 2 guilds to find one that fits.

Wunder

Then join different guilds? The sample size of 2 has convinced you that everyone has a tight knit group and everyone else is fucked?

I had the same experience as you, except during BC. I joined a few large dead end guilds with no organization and that heavily contributed to why I didn't really raid during BC. So maybe the difference between you and me is that I'm already aware that sometimes it takes more than 2 guilds to find one that fits.

Yeah I found a really nice guild when I joined in MoP and finally started raiding with them in WoD. I would honestly say I'm loving WoW if only the raid times weren't so insane for me in my timezone. As it stands I can't seem to find anything that fits me, which makes some sense since Im a UK player playing on an East Coast server, but still, it kinda sucks. I might give up since raiding from 1-4am every other day isn't doing wonders for me.

Try to find a raiding guild that accepts non-raiders. Easier said than done, but I think the "casual but we have a raid group with active members" guilds aren't as rare as you might believe.

royalan

Could be that I suppose. Lucked out when I started playing and got into a great guild on the first go. Great bunch of guildies, miss em...

iBpwzFIcPkjbz.gif

It's so haaaard, to say goodbyeeee, to Yesterdaaaay-eeeeeeeee

Another problem is that these are hard to find, maybe it's just my server, but guilds don't seem to advertise themselves like they used to. And then if you get too deep into grocery shopping for a guild, you wind up back at one of my original complaints: having to do too much shit superfluous to playing the game in order to...play the game.

Eh, but maybe I'll give guild hunting another go.

DarkJC

Eh, but maybe I'll give guild hunting another go.

I only push because I know you will enjoy the game much more if you find one that fits. :)

It was a revelation to me too in WotLK when I found one I actually had fun with and raided. Made me regret not searching more in BC. And yeah, I've got good memories of them too. But I'm having just as much fun now in Warlords with this new group.

vocab

Most guilds dont really advertise unless they desperately need people. Most of the people who are in mythic right now already have a tight roster. My guild only really needs a good full time healer. We have every spot pretty much covered, but we are forced settle with a part time healer for progression. Look on wow progress for something that suits you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You said I was raging about EU vs US. Because I explained some stuff about it which was relevent to the discussion at hand. None of that post was ragey in the least. But fine, continue to either act ignorant or be ignorant, I'm done caring which you are.

None of that was anything I said. I just commented on your bizarre anger level due to the fact you flipped out over an off-hand comment that wasn't even directed AT you, just at something you touched on in your post.

Ultratech

Managed to get the Bow off Brackenspore tonight using my Bonus Roll.

Weirdly enough, it had Avoidance on it...would've been a lot better if it had Leech or Indestructible.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
anyone have suggestions on what Large and medium building to use for garrison?
Large: Barracks, Dwarven Bunker/War Mill
Medium is honestly flexible. Lumber Mill is alright for gathering resources off the ground, but once you have an excess amount built up from mines/garden Trading Post is the winner. If you are beyond needing garrison resources build whatever you want. The Inn yields toys/gold/and the best WoD travel item. Get Glad Sanctum if you PvP. Get the Barn if you hate yourself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
anyone have suggestions on what Large and medium building to use for garrison?

War Mill first, then Barracks.

The Inn/Tavern and whatever else you want. I like the Lumber Mill to feed to the War Mill/Bunker, but its up to you.

Angry Grimace

Why should he wait? Lol.

To get the mount? Why else would he?

Oh I see, I wasn't saying wait to attack, I meant just waiting for the mob to show up and tap it to get the mount. He said he was leveling and the way he said it sounded like he just kept going or something.

Welp, Half if not all of my guild who can do raid already went to vacations....

Also why you are recommending the trading post building so much I am kinda tired of fueling the lumber mill

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Garrison Highmaul raid failed at 94%

I'm done with this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There's a difference between failing something at 98%, and failing a rare 645 mission that's only showed up for me once since the launch of this game at 94%.

Doesn't matter now though. Frozen account.

Hellers

I've been playing far, far too much since launch. So this week I'm going to slow down a bit and just do some relaxing stuff like getting Nat for my fishing shack and slowly finishing off Nagrand on my characters.

My thoughts on leveling and basic dungeon play on my classes so far.

Hunter. This is probably the closest thing I have to a main. The first thing I dinged with in Cata and MoP. A hunter is essentially WoW easymode. Especially for leveling. At the moment I'm running BM for open world activities and MM for dungeons. 100 talents exotic ammo for BM and lone wolf for MM. Who the hell wants to worry about a pet in dungeons. Currently has three crafted epics wot I made myself. Gun, neck and cloak. Profs are scribe and herbalism

Mage. I found my mage unplayable for leveling in MoP and mostly fine leveling in WoD. Very, very squishy leveling and until I started my monk the only class I had that needed to take a break to eat. I've found frost really fun to play in dungeons. Not sure about a 100 talent yet. They all seem to suck. I've crafted her a staff and robes so far. Has tailoring and jewelcrafting

Warlock. I love my Warlock. I've settled on affliction for my spec. I used it for the last 4 levels leveling and it felt much nicer than destro. Fuck demo. No crafted gear yet but before I hit 100 I had 4 pieces of 615 from missions. She's next in line for a crafted staff. I haven't decided on a 100 talent yet. Has enchanting and herbalism. Would the big green dude be good as a tanking pet?

DK. Another easymode character. My Gnome DK is the first character I hit cap with in Wrath. Currently running Unholy and loving it. One crafted two handed axe. My fisher and cook. (One of the first things I did in Cata was max out fishing). Picked the plague 100 talent. I generally prefer passives where I can't decide. Has alchemy and herbalism

Paladin. Ret. Second easiest to level after my hunter. Essentially the melee version of easymode. Pretty much unstoppable. Profs are engineering and blacksmithing. Currently rocking the crafted two handed greataxe (Transmogged into that really nice sword you get in Darkshore) and some goggles. Next in the queue for a blacksmithing piece. Probably the chest

Druid. My druid is a worgen and I'm sad she's a druid. Not because druids are rubbish. Just because Worgens look fucking amazing in leather armour and as feral you never get to see it. Has leatherworking and skinning. Skinning I must add is a pain in the arse to gather for. Feral despite being leather is not squishy at all. Currently rocking a leather chest piece (Crafted this morning) and will get a staff after my warlock gets hers.

Monk. Currently nearly 98 and something feels off. Despite being leather like my druid he's as squishy as a windwalker as my mage is. The only class I have besides mage that needs to sit and eat. Self healing is almost useless. The class is fun and has some ace mechanics but is as fiddly as hell. I love the way you can fight multiple mobs with the duplicates and it feels great when you pull it off but christ it takes some doing. I can't see that being fun in a dungeon fight where you also need to stay mobile. Also humans look fucking rubbish in leather. I might race change him to Worgen. Has scribe and blacksmithing.

I also have a bank alt priest at level 45 (She's my christmas project) and a Pandarian warrior at 20 (No rush). And finally a blood elf hunter at 91 waiting for her new arse.

In dungeons I prefer ranged. Melee just gets far too confusing most of the time. Especially when the tank decides not to pull the boss out of the fel fire. Yeah dude. the healer can keep you up but not the rest of us. Move the fucker.

Did an instance of skyreach on my Pally at the weekend. To get my epic ring. The first pull the hunter shouts go go go and the tank pulls the first three packs. We wipe and the tank starts complaining that every other healer can cope with that. They fight and argue like children for the entire rest of the dungeon culminating with the tank pulling the final boss from outside the room and letting us all die because nobody would vote kick the healer. He got vote kicked at that point for all the good it'll do. It was hilarious. I wasn't in a rush and you don't always get free entertainment in your entertainment.

Daily I'm doing my prof cooldowns, mining, herbing and working on gearing up my followers. I think for the next few days I'm going to finish off my fishing stuff (Already maxed with a level 3 shack. Just need Nat) and make a start on my stable quests.

How do I enchant a caster staff btw? I can't see anything on the enchanting trainer. There's melee weapon enchants and my hunter gets his from engineering.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There's a difference between failing something at 98%, and failing a rare 645 mission that's only showed up for me once since the launch of this game at 94%.

Have you ever considered getting good?

Hellers

It's the melee weapon enchants. They work for casters.

GG on the tooltip there Blizz. Although I suppose technically they are melee weapons really :)

Cheers.

I'm disappointed I can't put the visual enchants from the enchanting station on vellum. I want to pass them around all my characters.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GG on the tooltip there Blizz. Although I suppose technically they are melee weapons really :)

Cheers.

I'm disappointed I can't put the visual enchants from the enchanting station on vellum. I want to pass them around all my characters.

You can go to someones garrison that has the enchanting building with a follower though and use it.

Tacitus_

They stay active for a week, you should've just waited a bit to get it with 100%...

ZenaxPure

Has there any been news about patch 6.1 or I'm gonna assume its Blizzard's ''soon'' as usual?

From an interview last week blizzard said we would be hearing more about it soon, as in actual soon and not blizzard soon. 5.1 came out pretty much exactly 2 months after MoP launched so I am expecting something similar for 6.1, but, that's just speculation obviously.

Top Bottom