• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ampere

You guys seen the new /camp animation? pretty cool. I like the little camp fire and the mini tent. Reminds me of some of the old school RPG's where you would camp in the real world.

Shame it only works in cities and garrison.

Bad troll is bad

/camp = logout command for anyone who doesn't know

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Leveling on PvP servers is just a pain now. So many Horde are no life losers who bum around in old world zones to gank people, and the guards seem more ineffective than ever.

M.D

Am I missing something or is Gorgrond really short on quests? I built the lumber mill (which I understand give different quests than the arena) and it says I completed all the storyline quests in Gorgrond (also did the scout quests)

The area of the map that the scenario took place in plus the Everbloom Overlook are still unexplored

cdyhybrid

Am I missing something or is Gorgrond really short on quests? I built the lumber mill (which I understand give different quests than the arena) and it says I completed all the storyline quests in Gorgrond (also did the scout quests)

The area of the map that the scenario took place in plus the Everbloom Overlook are still unexplored

The Brawler's Arena or whatever the outpost building is called has more quests to it and is more focused on the middle/northern part of the zone. The Lumber Mill focuses more on the southern part of the zone.

You essentially are only going to do half of the zone via quests per outpost building.

M.D

The Brawler's Arena or whatever the outpost building is called has more quests to it and is more focused on the middle/northern part of the zone. The Lumber Mill focuses more on the southern part of the zone.

You essentially are only going to do half of the zone via quests per outpost building.

I guess my hunter is going to build the arena...

M.D

So how are people liking the expansion aside from questing? I haven't heard or read anything about raids/dungeons/garrison/professions and so on

I'm level 95 with my druid in Talador and this has to be my favorite leveling experience so far. I really like the new elements of the garrison and outposts and missions, and the zones have been pretty great so far.

I also finally didn't completely out-level a zone before finishing all the quests, so that's great!
my ilvl on this druid is 575, but my hunter is a boosted character so it has fairly low ilvl, which probably means it will take me longer to level him up through Draenor

Are feral druids any good this patch? mostly talking PVE

Apt101

So how are people liking the expansion aside from questing? I haven't heard or read anything about raids/dungeons/garrison/professions and so on

I'm level 95 with my druid in Talador and this has to be my favorite leveling experience so far. I really like the new elements of the garrison and outposts and missions, and the zones have been pretty great so far.

I also finally didn't completely out-level a zone before finishing all the quests, so that's great!
my ilvl on this druid is 575, but my hunter is a boosted character so it has fairly low ilvl, which probably means it will take me longer to level him up through Draenor

The initial intake into endgame is engaging. Gear is easy to get and there are numerous ways to obtain it, the garrison remains a point of activity for a while, one is likely still leveling their followers, and LFR is easy enough to serve as a nice distraction from heroics. But once one gets their gear and runs into the various dead ends associated with the garrison and new crafting system(s), it kind of stalls. I'm having difficulty finding anything interesting to do outside of raids. And I'm not a big raider.

All druids are good.

My thinking is pretty much inline with apt101. I raid a ton (one Mythic group, one more casual/alt gearing group) and I have really liked this expansion so far a ton. Barring any major issues with Blackrock Foundry when it releases this'll be probably my favorite opening tier of all time, which is saying something because I really enjoyed BC.

But my buddies who aren't hardcore raiders, even some in the casual group which is only a two day thing, some of them feel they're running out of steam. I don't really get the impression there's any less endgame stuff to do outside of raiding then there ever has, but my perspective is blurred simply because raiding has always been the only thing I really care about anyway.

As for your question on Feral, I play it at a reasonably high level. The spec is generally very good in Highmaul and will continue to be good in BRF. There are downsides, mainly that Feral is still straight bad at burst intervals (Adds on Margok, Adds on Tectus) and burst AOE (Adds on Margok, stands on Kargath, All of Tectus). I actually go Guardian as a third tank on Mythic Tectus because I do more damage on that fight as a tank. If I wasn't Guardian I would either be Boomkin or just be sat for that fight.

Basically, anything small that needs to die quickly and isn't going to live through full duration of bleeds, Feral is bad at killing it. On sustained single target which is most fights, and sustained cleave (Brackenspore, Twins) they are very competitive.

The other downside is that the spec isn't easy compared to others. It is much simpler than it used to be with the introduction of pandemic thresholds and no more trinket snapshotting, but it's still harder than most melee specs. A WW Monk for example is going to beat you in every aspect with similar gear and a much, much simpler rotation. That's not saying alot because WWs pretty much beat everyone else too but it's something to think about. If you don't plan to be very well researched and practiced, you'll probably do better as a different spec. Also it's kinda mediocre for CMs if you care about that, but still doable.

Another thing is the downtime. Simmed Feral has something like a 45% downtime meaning you spend 45% of your time pooling energy and waiting for pandemic thresholds. I use this time to take stock of all my buffs and debuffs so I can plan what I'm going to spend my energy and combo points on next, and throwing rejuvs on myself and others. I often do over 50% of my healing taken to myself, which isn't an obvious benefit but makes a huge difference. very few other specs can keep themselves alive without losing dps like Feral can, I'm almost always the last melee to die. So i don't see the downtime as a downside but Rogue or Warrior players used to GCD capping at all times might find it jarring.

Finally, looking forward to future tiers, the spec is being outpaced on sims at inflated gear levels, and given that it's not exactly a weak spec by any means, I doubt Blizz will do much to counteract that. So in future tiers I will probably play Balance myself, when I'm not healing.

Maybe this is more of an in-depth answer than you were looking for haha but I like to talk about Feral when I can since I'm the only Feral player in my guild. I have a ton of fun with the spec personally and feel as if I'm very effective at my role, when the mechanics of the fight don't hamstring me. We haven't pulled Mythic Margok yet but I imagine I'll either sit or play as third tank again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The CC pruning has made for some of the most fun I've had in PVP, and I know it'l lonly get better as certain classes that are over performing get 'balanced.' I haven't messed with raiding since, but I'll be starting soon, and I'm definitely looking forward to that. The worlds themselves are very lovely, unfortunately I end up stuck in an ugly island 'city' or an ugly snow garrison the entire time.

I find garrisons awful and ruin a lot of what I felt the game was trying to do with no flying. They're easily my least favorite part of the expansion. So the core gameplay is great, but I do find all the fluff very poor. I love the dungeons, I hate Ashran.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Should I go Arcane? It seems to be parsing better on Warcraft Logs. 631 iLvl.

It's pretty neck and neck with frost but frost requires a bit more effort to maximize, but the payoff is it has way more utility/survivability than arcane. If you just want your character to tunnel vision being a dps machine though, I think arcane is the one for now. I have no issues being in top 3 with it.

Tarazet

I switched from Feral to Balance after being a die-hard for all of MoP, and it was mainly because of poor performance with adds. It used to be that Feral was a monster with DoC and Thrash, but it has been toned down a bit and they are falling behind.

lexi

Banned
I switched from Feral to Balance after being a die-hard for all of MoP, and it was mainly because of poor performance with adds. It used to be that Feral was a monster with DoC and Thrash, but it has been toned down a bit and they are falling behind.

This is not my observation. Feral is in a great place atm. I mained feral since BC and love the spec.

Currently playing Frost Mage as a main, however.

ZenaxPure

I don't really get the impression there's any less endgame stuff to do outside of raiding then there ever has, but my perspective is blurred simply because raiding has always been the only thing I really care about anyway.

100% blurred, because we lost a lot going into WoD. I don't really have the stomach for raiding extensively anymore, in vanilla and TBC I raided around 26 hours a week and at some point started hating myself and was happy when raids would get cancelled or I got to sit out. I wanted to keep playing but I didn't want to play like that so in wrath I joined an off-shoot of our guild that went full casual in TBC raiding a measly 8-9 hours a week. Despite that I was still playing the game as much as I was when all I did was raid, but, I was doing other stuff as well. What we lost in WoD was a lot of the little stuff which is what ended up filling a lot of my play time in MoP.

Carbon's post from last week sums it up pretty well without really going in depth and he didn't even manage to list every single thing we lost.

It's really a culmination of a lot of things. Yeah, you can sit here and bullet point list a lot of things that you can do, but, when you get down past surface level you realize that it's not really much. Take pet battles for example, there is essentially no new meaningful content for it in WoD. There was only a handful of new pets added (less than HALF the number of capturable pets in Pandaren zones alone) and the new mark currency is worthless for anyone who has done pet battles in the past, it offers nothing of value. The only new thing worth doing for people actually invested in pet battles is the one single garrison daily which takes maybe 10 minutes tops if you aren't looking up strats for them (speaking from personal experience here as that is how I did all of them). That sums up a lot of additions in WoD too, brawler's guild is 100% recycled and was actually nerfed by them taking some of the infamous harder fights out and tying them exclusively to challenge cards, the single daily takes longer to travel to than it does to complete, the rare spawns offer nothing of value after you kill them the first time (I farmed dread wastes/townlong/jade forest rare spawns the entirety of MoP because their loot tables were so good).

Hell I can't even sit inside the AH controlling the gem market anymore in the new gem system. There was a good chunk of my 5.2 experience where I was making insane gold off of people by camping the gem market, which is a pretty big time commitment on its own because you had to play mind games with other campers by forcing them to burn through their entire supply and de-list auctions to re-list them (which meant burning extra gold) and if you wanted the big bucks you needed to try and control as many gem types as you could, both PVE and PVP gems (I was actually surprised at how expensive a lot of the PVP gems were at times).

To be fair I'm actually not that upset about the gem changes, I like the new gem system a lot more, but, I can't exactly deny that it was an activity I spent a lot of time doing that is completely mising in WoD, and a very lucrative one at that (I was pulling in an easy 15-20k gold a day on what was basically a dead server with no hardcore raiding guilds).

Apt101

I saved a wipe. I used Lay on Hands on the tank, then pulled out the ret pally HoT and FoL on the healer, long enough to last and land the final blow on the boss. I then rezzed them (they still ended up dying right at the conclusion anyways). They were all new to heroics ("where is the core of iron?"). When I was done rezzing the tank asked "man how did you live through that?". I was like "ret pally healin' like a ma' fucka mang!" and started dancing. Fucking bastards kicked me.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My horde melees get farmed in Ashran and can't do much.

My alliance mage has free reign to run around anywhere. Just started last night and got one conquest piece from a strongbox, and have earned 1500 conquest points so far.

royalan

What about it is buggy? I feel like I'm not running into many technical issues.

Ever since WoD released I haven't been able to play a weekend on my server without getting logged out, the game world freezing, or something silly like all the tooltips vanishing, flight paths bugging out, etc. And something happens like this every hour or so.

I mean, obviously I still play and have fun...but man this shit is unstable. I've never experienced WoW like this.

Ever since WoD released I haven't been able to play a weekend on my server without getting logged out, the game world freezing, or something silly like all the tooltips vanishing, flight paths bugging out, etc. And something happens like this every hour or so.

I mean, obviously I still play and have fun...but man this shit is unstable. I've never experienced WoW like this.

I can add two relatively small bugs that are annoyances.

Yogg Saron fight disconnects shamans if they have a lightning shield up during the phase one to phase two transition. Oddly specific but if affects me and I just dealt with it until I saw someone mention the exact cause here.

Can't finish the Cata Dungeon meta achievements because one achievement is unobtainable following the release of WoD. In the Black Rock Cata dungeon (Depths? Cavern?) the first boss is the ogre that does Skullcracker or Bonecracker or whatever it is. You have to get it to kill ten of the earth elementals he summons during the two times he does the move. For some reason he no longer deals any damage to the elementals so it's impossible to complete until they fix it.

Small things but both of those were brought about during the WoD release for some reason.

vocab

Wod is buggy as shit. The phasing stuff in the world will forever be broken. Camping a mount and having the mob killed on top of you because you got phased off your own server, and not even knowing about it till its dead is fucking garbage.

Mitch

Banned
Phasing has been an issue since Cata. Nagrand is the biggest culprit from my experience. On servers like Emerald Dream, where world PvP is huge, it really shows. Players abuse the phase lines in order to have an advantage when fighting the opposite faction, which ultimately kills any motivation to go out in the world for PvP.

Wow, scumbag hunter stealing rare elite mobs by taunting tagged low health mobs with pet then trapping. Hope this shit is temp bannable. Probably not, god this sucks.

Wow, scumbag hunter stealing rare elite mobs by taunting tagged low health mobs with pet then trapping. Hope this shit is temp bannable. Probably not, god this sucks.

Still a scumbag thing to do, but just so you know you can actually still get a cage from an animal someone else has trapped. Basically they're still active while stunned so if you just throw a trap underneath them it will trigger and give you a cage. The positioning can be finicky but when I'm out there and someone else has tagged something, I help them kill it, wait for them to trap it and throw my trap on top of theirs. Works about 80% of the time.

You can also use this trick when your alone to double up on your traps by throwing a trap, waiting for the cooldown, kiting the mob into the first trap then immediately dropping a second one on top. The mob is stunned and a few seconds later the second trap opens and is immediately triggered, giving you a second cage.

Makes the 21 elite farming every few days alot less tedious.

Still a scumbag thing to do, but just so you know you can actually still get a cage from an animal someone else has trapped. Basically they're still active while stunned so if you just throw a trap underneath them it will trigger and give you a cage. The positioning can be finicky but when I'm out there and someone else has tagged something, I help them kill it, wait for them to trap it and throw my trap on top of theirs. Works about 80% of the time.

You can also use this trick when your alone to double up on your traps by throwing a trap, waiting for the cooldown, kiting the mob into the first trap then immediately dropping a second one on top. The mob is stunned and a few seconds later the second trap opens and is immediately triggered, giving you a second cage.

Makes the 21 elite farming every few days alot less tedious.

Nice to know, my shaman has trouble killing them I should try to double up with someone then. Wish the mats were BoA or BoE though, can clear the elites much easier on my warrior.

There's a guy, I forget his name, but I watch his stream now and then and he's like 2k rating+ with enhancement. Honestly seems like a pretty decent burst spec when with another dps.

Elemental is dead in the water though.

I'll have to browse some top pvpers and see if I can copy what they are doing.

neglecting your IH2 blood oath i c

lazygecko

Enhancement doesn't really have burst any more. Blizzard keeps switching the spec around between predictable consistent damage and bursty damage without being able to make up their minds, and right now they're firmly in the former once more. I imagine these decisions are made primarily from a PvE standpoint but it's immensely frustrating for PvP players to constantly be moved between the two.

PvP enhancement is much more support-centered right now. Glyphed purging for maelstrom procs and spend those procs on off-heals rather than damage when needed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes. The freeze and jet stream shares a cooldown. The jet stream is usually superior because it does damage, and gives two fingers of frost (assuming you time it correctly) even against bosses that cannot be rooted. Freeze is better for moments of movement where you have targets that are rootable, and in pvp obviously.

That isn't responsible for being at 12K though.

ampere

Monks have a stupid amount of defensive CDs. It's like they took every possible defensive effect and divided it into it's own ability.

And I'm only level 32...

Brewmaster? Pretty sure we have the fewest defensive CDs of any tank :p. Don't you play a DK? Blood has so many more CDs.

Not counting Elusive Brew as a CD since that's our AM.

dimb

I started playing a Feral alt and I don't really understand why anyone would ever play this class. So boring compared to other melee options.

I'm getting kinda bored, I do my weekly CP and my high maul, I'm so backed up on work orders that garrison shit only takes like 5 mins a day. So I basically just sit in my garrison and never leave aside from warspear vendors and highmaul (which thankfully only takes 2 mins to get to thanks to the feather).

I started playing a Feral alt and I don't really understand why anyone would ever play this class. So boring compared to other melee options.

You're so wrong, feral is the most interesting melee to play.

mileS

Pharrell druids are REALLY fun when you are just ripping through quest mobs. The problem for me is when you step into an instance against elites and notice that 45% downtime. I've sat there wondering "they can't honestly want me to wait THIS long to hit a new button can they?" Not for me.

dimb

You're so wrong, feral is the most interesting melee to play.
I'm only like level fifty, but when people talk about forty-five percent downtime it doesn't make things seem more promising down the road. Spending combo points just to throw mandatory buffs on yourself on a regular basis isn't my idea of fun.

2 v 2 Arena is hard man :(

Getting constantly rolled over by 2x melee classes. DK/Warrior ate my soul

Though I don't think a Rogue is the best partner for a Holy Priest

I'm only like level fifty, but when people talk about forty-five percent downtime it doesn't make things seem more promising down the road. Spending combo points just to throw mandatory buffs on yourself on a regular basis isn't my idea of fun.

It's for sure not for everybody, but I really hope Blizz is okay with that. The spec is a refreshing change from most melee specs which revolve around mashing buttons as fast as possible on a simple priority system.

What I like about how Feral feels is that you aren't a face-smashing brute like a warrior, or a lightning quick rogue. You're an opportunist. To play the spec well involves waiting as long as possible and only spending resources when you are either forced to, or in those moments where everything lines up and you can apply comically large bleeds or bites that hit like a complete truck.

It's all about incremental advantages. You're stacking savage roar on top of tiger's fury on top of bloodtalons on top of trinkets on top of procs and only then are you spurred to spend energy as fast as you can. Using energy earlier might fill GCDs but you are much better off waiting for the absolute best moment to refresh bleeds and biding your time otherwise.

The downtime also makes your cooldowns feel incredibly impactful. When I pop wings on my ret, that's a huge cooldown and it's cool I'm doing more damage and using HoW but it's really not changing the way I play.

Popping Incarnation/Berserk/TF suddenly transforms you from this slow moving calculated strategist into a spamming, constantly critting lunatic who has to mash buttons as fast as possible in order not to waste any precious moments of probably the most potent set of dps CDs in the game outside of Bloodlust. Then Berserk falls off and it's right back to waiting till the last possible moment to use energy so you can pool resources for the times you really need it.

It feels so unique and I hope Blizzard doesn't feel like they have to make it more spammy because alot of people really dislike the playstyle.

2 v 2 Arena is hard man :(

Getting constantly rolled over by 2x melee classes. DK/Warrior ate my soul

Though I don't think a Rogue is the best partner for a Holy Priest

Go disc, they're like the hardest healer to kill, and the shields are like insta win against teams w/o a purge , and Disc/Combat is a really good comp, as is disc/Mutilate is a alright too.

But man, running healer/dps is boring, I'd go double dps vs double dps every game if I had a choice.

Cat man looks fun
overpowered
in pvp. A lot of tools at your disposal. You're probably right about the pve rotation though.

lexi

Banned
Feral is anything but boring. You can heal other people in your energy pooling (which also heals yourself) and that healing makes your next 2 abilities do 30% more damage, which when used with incarnation and tab target rakes you're pretty much unstoppable.

lazygecko

Dinged 100 on my paladin today. Rolled him 11 days ago with 2½ days /played. I'd say leveling is pretty fast now. Questing/LFD was split about 50/50, with mostly questing for Draenor.

Ugh, have to do most of my mount runs tomorrow and I'm dreading it.

On a more positive note, the nice thing is I have my glaives so I get to ignore Black Temple, and Molten Core I only have to run in and kill Baron Geddon quick with my port from BRD (though I did that one this week already). Plus some of the other various ones I've crossed off my list, like Eye of Eternity and Throne of the Four Winds.

So it's not terrible, but I really would like to finally get Invincible or Mim's Head so I can get both of those long raids out of the way. Dragon Soul too is annoying - so much RP that sucks time. Though I only run it once a week, don't think I could stomach more than that.

Ultratech

Ugh, have to do most of my mount runs tomorrow and I'm dreading it.

On a more positive note, the nice thing is I have my glaives so I get to ignore Black Temple, and Molten Core I only have to run in and kill Baron Geddon quick with my port from BRD (though I did that one this week already). Plus some of the other various ones I've crossed off my list, like Eye of Eternity and Throne of the Four Winds.

So it's not terrible, but I really would like to finally get Invincible or Mim's Head so I can get both of those long raids out of the way. Dragon Soul too is annoying - so much RP that sucks time. Though I only run it once a week, don't think I could stomach more than that.

I ran some Firelands earlier; pretty hilarious at 100.

Baelroc is still a bitch though because of Decimation Blade.
You pretty much either have to get lucky with RNG or pump some major damage into him (mind you, I was doing 25 Heroic on my DK, so you'll have less issues below that).
I went Frost and managed to luck out in that he did two Inferno Blades.

Managed to finish off some transmog, but no Sulfuras or mount. :(
(Rag kinda freaked me out since he did the Empower Sulfuras thing immediately after he spawned for the last phase.)

ZenaxPure

Baelroc is still a bitch though because of Decimation Blade.

My main motivation to level my shaman is this fucker, can't seem to beat him even in 10 man normal at level 90 on her. Though to be fair her gear isn't that great, mostly T14/15 LFR gear that wasn't upgraded. I want the hunter t12 lookalike gear so bad, Shannox cosplay was so good lol.

Top Bottom