• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

TheYanger

Meeting stones halfway across the map and getting people to go there

Or even worse, before Meeting stones existed :)

Also until...near BC? in BC? They didn't summon, they just put you into a dungeon specific LFG type interface (not cross server back then) which rendered them NEARLY worthless. Like, ok I'm level 60, better run to the ONE dungeon I want to do and sit at the stone and hope other people do the same. Or you could just yell in IF/Org like everyone else did.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I remember being at Ramparts summoning and being like.. woah..

I kind of miss farming fire elementals in Ungoro.

TheYanger

This conversation reminded me of the oldest worst thing FOR REAL.

Inability to summon people that weren't in the zone. Combine with Lack of Repair bots and we actually ended raids at times because we had to all go repair and couldn't easily get back. They fixed this oversight with a bandaid early by adding the MC window zone in from attunement.

Let me tell you a tale of Hardcore MC raiding:

So MC you could only zone into by being attuned and going THROUGH Blackrock Depths initially.
Once you were all inside of MC, your BRD instance would soft reset after 30 minutes of nobody being there.
You could not summon people into a dungeon, they had to get in themselves to get a summon.

So, if you wanted to repair: We had to have a warlock wait inside where we were with people to click portals. We had to have everyone else hearth, repair, fly back, and then CLEAR BRD up to the MC entrance in order to effectively zone back into MC so that we could summon to wherever we were camped at in MC. If you failed to do this, you were re-clearing trash from the entrance of MC too (They later added camping functionality that would let you camp out partway through the instance, previously it always put you at the zone in, so we were able to log some warlocks out when we were done for the night eventually).

If we had a waitlist for the evening, those couple of people would sit inside of BRD to make sure that it didn't reset (though it respawned anyway so if we didn't have a lock it didn't matter much).

All in all, it was truly awful. They fixed that sometime during the first few months of 2005 for sure. First by putting the MC window in (Making the BRD re-clear unnecessary) and then by adding repair bots. I don't think out of instance summoning came until much later.

Getting all the way to that fucking island in Azshara for each step of the MC quests.

Bugged Jailbreak Ony attunements.

Fun facts, first time we got to Rag only like 3 people in the guild (including me) had enough rep to get Quintessences. I had to go back and forth between Azshara and MC over and over to hit like 6 of the runes myself overnight, stealthing through the trash to get to the runes. Took like 2 hours.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
inv_misc_food_54.jpg

Never forget.

RIP in piece old friend ;_;7

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I remember all that.. especially the quintessence runs but man.. I could never articulate it that detailed. Shit scarred you.

You know I think you still had to douse the runes up through Wrath when I was soloing MC for the first time. So if you forgot one, you would have to run all the way back to get it (to fight Rag). Though I think it may not have required any reagent at that point.

Also, simply having to solo Vanilla raids as a tank spec/Blood to merely survive, and even then being at risk. Those crazy stunning tiger mobs in front of Thekal in ZG (and then having to position correctly on that boss to survive/avoid reset.) And I remember doing Black Temple/Sunwell in groups of like 10-15. ZA I think I 5-manned. Hell the first time I did ZG was a 5-man or so. Got the original Zin'rokh on that run IIRC that I still have to this day (while not having the archaeology one.)

TheYanger

They added the permanently reusable quintessence at some point during vanilla too, that helped a lot. Still have it in my bank (and I think it had a feat? idk). Heck it might've even had like a half hour cooldown, I don't honestly remember, it was pretty bad. I was an EQ raider and it was an EQ raiding guild so none of it seemed bad at the time, it seemed downright casual, but jesus I wouldn't do it now.

They added the permanently reusable quintessence at some point during vanilla too, that helped a lot. Still have it in my bank (and I think it had a feat? idk). Heck it might've even had like a half hour cooldown, I don't honestly remember, it was pretty bad. I was an EQ raider and it was an EQ raiding guild so none of it seemed bad at the time, it seemed downright casual, but jesus I wouldn't do it now.

Yeah you got that at exalted though I think, maybe revered. And I didn't hit exalted till fairly late MoP here, goddamn that rep grind is one of the longest in the game.

okay, what's the oldest WORST thing you remember?

Thrash Blade quest. Maraudon was a nightmare to get to, zone in and successfully complete as Alliance. The one group I did get that made it to princess. I die during the fight and don't get quest completion credit.

I actually dropped WoW for a few months after that.

Runner up was trying to gear a Combat Rogue in Burning Crusade, pre-ZA. The desired option was swords because of how talents were designed, and there were like...3 swords you could 'reasonably' get before SSC. One from an abominable rep grind (heroic shattered halls and nothing else), one off Netherspite and one off Doom Lord Kazzak the Auction House. Being Combat Daggers until WotLK made me extremely bitter.

ZenaxPure

Since we're talking about annoying things, the thing I remember the most is how annoyed my guild was farming poison resist gear for Huhu. It certainly wasn't the most annoying thing in the grand scheme of things (hell I'd argue it wasn't even the most annoying part of AQ), but, my guild was full of some lazy fucking people so we had to offer DKP incentives to help people farm UD strat/Mara for gear. Even then a lot of people wouldn't bother logging on to help once they had their pieces.

Resist gear in general is pretty high up on the old 'worst' lists. Such a stupid mechanic. 'ok guys we need at least one resist gear boss in each dungeon.' Then came SSC 'ok guys let's have a boss with TWO resist mechanics. LOL.'

Beat Heroic Brackenspore for the first time yesterday, feels like the encounter is too dependant on getting lucky mushroom spawns, the time we beat it we kept getting blue/green mushrooms on top of eachother.

lazygecko

I do miss getting into dungeons manually, and especially the pre-instance mini dungeons in conjunction with that which I think was a good compromise between instanced dungeons and actual world dungeons where you can run into other players. I once took my level 25 dwarf paladin to the pre-Wailing Caverns maze and waged guerilla warfare on horde groups making their way to the instance.

Khezu

Is the Lone Wolf talent viable for Hunters?
Did Quivers ever make it into the game?

How did that Warlock talent that gives permanent Doomguards and Infernals turn out?

TheYanger

Beat Heroic Brackenspore for the first time yesterday, feels like the encounter is too dependant on getting lucky mushroom spawns, the time we beat it we kept getting blue/green mushrooms on top of eachother.

Blue spawns on people, so as long as the green is up first (half of the spawns iirc) you completely have it within your control to spawn the blue directly on top of it.

Draxal

Worst part of Vanilla was all the farmable stuff you needed. I know people are complaining about augment stones, but just the sheer amount of stuff you needed back then pales to that (and yes having augment stones is incredibly stupid and exactly what they should be going away from).

edit. And oh half the specs in Vanilla not working.

strafer

Never forget.

Mind you I did this before I had knowledge in quest addons and knowing about Wowhead or Thottbott.

Objectives
Find Brine in Southern Barrens.

Objectives
Fill the Empty Brown Waterskin at the watering hole below Brine's hut and return it to her in the Barrens.

Objectives
Fill the Empty Red Waterskin at the well in Tarren Mill and return to Brine in the Barrens.

Objectives
Fill the Empty Blue Waterskin at the Ruins of Stardust in Ashenvale and return to Brine in the Barrens.

Objectives
Bring the Vial of Purest Water to Islen Waterseer in the Barrens.

Objectives
Defeat the Corrupt Manifestation of Water and place the Corrupted Manifestation's Bracers along with the Remaining Drops of Purest Water on the Brazier of Everfount in Silverpine Forest.

Objectives
Speak to the Minor Manifestation of Water in Silverpine Forest.

Objectives
Bring the Shard of Water to Islen Waterseer in the Barrens.

Reward:
LoS2ZhO.png

Draxal

The thing I hate most about modern wow is how Vanilla zones just don't make sense anymore.

The timeline is now BC>LK>Vanilla/Cata>Panda>WoD.

I wish they streamlined the Vanilla quests instead of tying it up into the Catacylsm as it just one gigantic pile of stupid now.

Mupod

Shit, I upgraded my tavern to level 3 and suddenly the game stopped giving me ANY resource missions. Anyone else having this problem?

I deleted my trading post in favor of the gladiator place because my scavengers were pulling in more resources than I needed...and now I haven't gotten any more resource missions in days.

Shit, I upgraded my tavern to level 3 and suddenly the game stopped giving me ANY resource missions. Anyone else having this problem?

I deleted my trading post in favor of the gladiator place because my scavengers were pulling in more resources than I needed...and now I haven't gotten any more resource missions in days.

Is there a cap on garrison resources? How much do you have now?

iirate

Never forget.

Mind you I did this before I had knowledge in quest addons and knowing about Wowhead or Thottbott.

Reward:
LoS2ZhO.png

Also, going into Ashenvale at the level you get that quest(15 IIRC?) is terrifying to a new player. I had owned the game for only a couple of days, left the Barrens for the first time, and was immediately and ruthlessly hunted by all manner of wildlife. I eventually come upon a signpost pointing me towards Silverwind Refuge, and I was relieved to finally find a place to catch my breath.

Naturally, I approach the town and am immediately gunned down by ?? elves. I eventually make it to the ruins and every pull I had to make to reach the well was a fight unlike anything I had faced so far.

I noticed yesterday that shamans don't even get a totem until 16 anymore and it made me a little sad.

strafer

Also, going into Ashenvale at the level you get that quest(15 IIRC?) is terrifying to a new player. I had owned the game for only a couple of days, left the Barrens for the first time, and was immediately and ruthlessly hunter by all manner of wildlife. I eventually come upon a signpost pointing me towards Silverwind Refuge, and I was relieved to finally find a place to catch my breath.

Naturally, I approach the town and am immediately gunned down by ?? elves. I eventually make it to the ruins and every pull I had to make to reach the well was a fight unlike anything I had faced so far.

I actually noticed yesterday that shamans don't even get a totem until 16 anymore and it made me a little sad.

Indeed, I had the pleasure of meeting the Welcome Bear

Old things I remember that are no longer in the game;

Having to carry your mounts around with you as a physical item in your bags.

Slow mounts at level 40, fast at level 60.

Having to catch your demons and having a questline for your mounts as a Warlock.

Weapon skills! Specifically, punching hundreds of low level enemies in the entrance to Stockades because of reasons.

Wanding things to death because WTF at mana regen.

vocab

I autowanded bosses in bwl, alt tabbed and scrimmed some cs, and it was completely viable on those three dragon bosses that took forever.

TheYanger

Ten man Strat dead side runs. =/

That reminds me of even before that, we used to do like 20+ man strat and scholo runs to get people the quests done, you could drop group and do a quest pickup then get reinvited for ages. Similarly we would do entire guild UBRS clears all to get ready for MC.

Along those lines as well, it reminded me of this green hat quest reward from strat or scholo (I forget which, strat I think)....I wish I could remember the name now.
It was the first real mana regen item in the game and was COMPLETELY necessary for any caster. Originally it had something like 13 mana per 3 seconds. Then blizz changed the mechanic to be MP5 as we know and love, and nerfed it to like 3 MP5 or something. It was STILL good. At the time it was worth two or three times as much regen as all of the spirit you could possibly get, and worked while casting (which spirit did not).

vocab

In vanilla you had to run those in 30-40 man raids. It was just quicker and efficient.

When they made scholo/strath/and ubrs smaller, I never did them ever again. 5 man live strath? Over my deadbody I anit wasting 3 hours.

lazygecko

Graveyard Scepter from Blackfathom Deeps was the ultimate low level wand. I think you got it as a quest reward from getting to that Argent Dawn guy. It was essentially a blue wand in the late 20's/early 30's range that you could obtain before level 20. Couple that with the Wand Specialization talent for mages and priests and you could wreck shit in 10-19 WSG.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In vanilla you had to run those in 30-40 man raids. It was just quicker and efficient.

When they made scholo/strath/and ubrs smaller, I never did them ever again. 5 man live strath? Over my deadbody I anit wasting 3 hours.

I actually remember having an easier time with five, less people to fuck up pulls and easier to tank.

M.D

Any feral druid mind telling me if I got the basic rotation for single target right?

Start with prowl if possible
Spam Shred in between to generate combo points

Rake (refresh) - Savage Roar 5CP (refresh) - Rip (refresh) - Ferocious Bite 5CP if target is at 25% hp or less or if the other spells are applied

Is that the basic rotation? Any more to it?
I'm still reading up about other skills/trinkets and stuff, but this is what I understand from reading mmo-champion and other places

I'm still not sure how much I should try to apply Rake or just spam Thrash on fights with adds

I like feral so far, although the downtime between using your skills when you try to generate combo points and your constantly out of energy can be a bit annoying..
wish you could have the Claws of Shirvallah looks without actually skilling it :/

Another question - where can I find level 3 blueprints for my buildings? have the Salvage Yard and Dwarven Bunker and looking for recommendations for other stuff to build

cdyhybrid

Another question - where can I find level 3 blueprints for my buildings? have the Salvage Yard and Dwarven Bunker and looking for recommendations for other stuff to build

Most level 3 blueprints are tied to achievements. For example, you need to loot 500 Draenic Stones from your mine before the level 3 blueprints unlock.

Luckily, the achievements are account-wide, so you only need to unlock them once.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most level 3 blueprints are tied to achievements. For example, you need to loot 500 Draenic Stones from your mine before the level 3 blueprints unlock.

Luckily, the achievements are account-wide, so you only need to unlock them once.
And then you can never use your mine.

Because who cares.

Top Bottom