• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

StMeph

93% mythic highmaul mission, didn't find a way to get it to 100% (don't have a dude that would have countered both on one boss) shit better not fail

I have 19 epic followers at ilevel 645 and the best I could muster was 85% this week for Highmaul.

Mupod

Already got loot from everybody except normal/heroic imperator this week but guild is having its 'official' weekly raid tonight. Assuming we get at least the easy heroic bosses down it should push me over the requirements for a mythic highmaul mission - my second hasn't popped up yet.

It's amazing how Balance hits some kind of DPS puberty at a specific gear point. I was struggling to get 17K last week, now I'm doing 24 no problem. The heroic warforged staff Tectus gave me probably helped but I'm only up about 8-9 item levels.

I've been getting resource missions all the time and I have the level 3 tavern.

Hmm. Do you also have a barracks? Maybe having both is what pushed my missions off.

It was seriously a dramatic change, as soon as I upgraded they were gone. And as soon as I got rid of it they were back.

Gothos

Soooo, I'm thinking about coming back to WoW (after like 4 years of break) and it all depends on how much is there to do nowadays if I don't wanna do hardcore raids... I think I could describe myself as semi-hardcore. I like to check new content but I just don't have the will to like, raid 3 times a week :) Basically: how solo-friendly is WoW currently?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Soooo, I'm thinking about coming back to WoW (after like 4 years of break) and it all depends on how much is there to do nowadays if I don't wanna do hardcore raids... I think I could describe myself as semi-hardcore. I like to check new content but I just don't have the will to like, raid 3 times a week :) Basically: how solo-friendly is WoW currently?

there is a lot to do for someone like you but you eventually hit the wall where there are two things to do - get gear or get vanity/cosmetic/collectible stuff. For gear, after heroics, your choices are pvp or lfr for gear, both which are insanely simple to get. But then the question becomes, if you don't plan to use the gear to do better and harder pvp or pve, why are you getting the gear. For the other option, there are a million little things to do with achieves, titles, skill based tests like proving grounds, mounts, pets, money making, etc.. But then again are those a means to you enjoying the game? Only you can know.

in the grand scheme I sort of mainly play solo but the bulk of shit I do I still have a set group for cm, arena, rbg, and basic achieves.. so while you can definitely do shit solo having a few friends, even if it's just one to queue into lfr with you will certainly help

Mupod

Excessively solo-friendly. You don't even need a guild anymore if you aren't doing Mythic. I mean, I HAVE a raiding guild and so far most of my 'progression' has been with 8-9 guild members and a bunch of random pugs. We cleared 6/7 heroic on Tuesday, it's crazy.

Mythic is still pretty hardcore but from the general community I get the sense that few people even really care enough to spend 4-5 nights a week raiding. My guild is mostly returning vanilla/TBC raiders who spent years being the #1 guild on the server, but we're just here for fun now.

there is a lot to do for someone like you but you eventually hit the wall where there are two things to do - get gear or get vanity/cosmetic/collectible stuff. For gear, after heroics, your choices are pvp or lfr for gear, both which are insanely simple to get. But then the question becomes, if you don't plan to use the gear to do better and harder pvp or pve, why are you getting the gear. For the other option, there are a million little things to do with achieves, titles, skill based tests like proving grounds, mounts, pets, money making, etc.. But then again are those a means to you enjoying the game? Only you can know.

in the grand scheme I sort of mainly play solo but the bulk of shit I do I still have a set group for cm, arena, rbg, and basic achieves.. so while you can definitely do shit solo having a few friends, even if it's just one to queue into lfr with you will certainly help

Just thinking here about how the game has changed over the years. Right now if I walk out of a raid with 2-3 big upgrades I think 'well that was okay I guess'. I'm not happy because I got some amazing new item, but because I can keep up a little better in order to help progress in the short term. This stuff will get thrown to the wayside pretty fast, at the very latest it'll be gone when Blackrock Foundry is out.

But in 2006 I could raid for a month without getting anything, because I was saving DKP or whatever. I was still wearing the same pants I got in MC in early 2005 all the way until the expansion. The cycle of expansions, the endless song and dance of content and gear resets has destroyed any sense of persistence or permanence.

If you just want to casually jump in and experience the content the game is streamlined perfectly to make that happen. The way they handle raid lockouts and finding groups is brilliance compared to the archaic shit you still see happening in other MMOs. The multiple tiers of raiding mean the general community learns fights much faster and with less frustration, which makes pugging hard content viable. But after a month back playing I feel like I've just been running through a machine, and I'm already kinda bored of it.

I'll keep playing because I'm having fun with old friends, but in a way that's still just coasting off nostalgia and what the game used to be.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I posted this on Reddit the other day. Doing a guild run of HM and myself and the other 'lock got a little bored waiting for everyone to turn up so we had some Eye of Kilrog fun in the colliseum:
JeREP4O.jpg

Also finally went and got the T6 head piece from Archimonde that day, so I FINALLY after all these friggin' years have the awesome T6 head piece with the bitchin' wings.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yep, had to save up for my azuresong mageblade. Why I've said before the welfare epic system in game now sucks. Purples should only come from real raiding and high end pvp. Maybe one or two craftable. People are insta purp decked so quickly.. It should take months.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
oh man so psyched...

so my first highmaul mission comes up with one follower at 645.. and like 2-3 at 637-642.. so I've been struggling to get more to 645, which sucks because I have a ton of followers at 645-655 weapon level.. but I can't get any armor increases to drop, and every armor mission is a 630 mission which they already have.. so after like 4-5 days of this I finally got a total of 5 followers to 645, and totally lucked out. One of the followers hits two of the ability criteria.. and of the remaining 4 645 followers, two hit single ability criteria, AND overlap on traits for teamwork (I think an undead and tauren). So between 4 abilities and 2 teamwork traits, I was just barely able to squeak out 100%!!!!!

Should be set for upgrades.. only items that would truly suck are hands and shoulders (already HM normal).. belt is crafted so would be less than ideal, and the neck is from Drov so that would also be less than great as well.. but still.. 2 pieces that are already 655 and 2 pieces that are good/upgradeable leaves me in (hopefully) a great position to pull a nice 655 piece from the mission when I get home this afternoon.

Robin64

I don't know why so many items are purple. I used to amazed to see people in Ironforge with a purple, know how much time went in to getting it. I would be absolutely content to see the LFR gear being blue in color, for one thing.

lazygecko

There's not even much to differentiate epics from blues any more. You really notice that the color of the item doesn't mean anything if you get a lucky epic proc from a quest reward, but a blue item with 1 more item level is still going to have better stats.

borghe

purple hasn't really meant "cool" since wotlk. cata and beyond it's really just another gear designation like ilevel. it DOES serve a purpose (hence the quest upgrade feature of WOD), but it's no longer really a status symbol.

in regards to the proc with 1 level blue being better... that's true but not entirely the case. If a level 540 green quest item procs purple, it will actually be a ilevel 560, and purple. So yes a 561 ilevel item will be better with the same stat itemization.. but at the same time that 561 level item is 21 levels higher than the actual quest reward you were supposed to get.

but yes, post-wotlk and especially WOD, purple/epic really doesn't carry the same awe as it did especially in vanilla or BC.

ZenaxPure

purple hasn't really meant "cool" since wotlk. cata and beyond it's really just another gear designation like ilevel. it DOES serve a purpose (hence the quest upgrade feature of WOD), but it's no longer really a status symbol.

Wut.

Epic items haven't been a "status" symbol since vanilla. TBC added badges and incredibly good craftable items (too good actually) so the common man could very easily get plenty of epics without raiding. Wrath made it utter jokes by having tons of emblem gear and making Naxx 10 man piss easy.

borghe

Wut.

Epic items haven't been a "status" symbol since vanilla. TBC added badges and incredibly good craftable items (too good actually) so the common man could very easily get plenty of epics without raiding. Wrath made it utter jokes by having tons of emblem gear and making Naxx 10 man piss easy.

well TBC and WOTLK opened up epics to more people, they were hardly trivial at that point still. still a serious time investment either for crafting or to get the gearscore (ugh) to be allowed into a PUG. But yes, still more widely available than vanilla where you had to raid or put considerable time into the tier 0/.5/whatever dungeon set quest line

ZenaxPure

I had 3 characters in full Naxx 10 gear before Ulduar came out because I couldn't make up my mind what character or faction I wanted to play. In terms of difficulty it was a joke of a raid that basically just spat out free epics. Honestly I'd argue it's the easiest non-LFR raid the game has ever had.

Draxal

I had 3 characters in full Naxx 10 gear before Ulduar came out because I couldn't make up my mind what character or faction I wanted to play. In terms of difficulty it was a joke of a raid that basically just spat out free epics. Honestly I'd argue it's the easiest non-LFR raid the game has ever had.

LFR was harder than Naxx 10.

Salz01

I'm debating about picking up the new expansion even though I said I wouldn't. What's the consensus? Is it good? Lots of story content?

ZenaxPure

Lots of story content?

Not really, they kind of dropped the ball on that front. The main story while leveling up is fairly aimless as it just serves as an excuse for us to fight The Iron Horde and the only story content at level 100 is a weekly quest that for the most part haven't been that interesting (they don't tell an ongoing story, each week is just a random thing with a different character each time.) About the only interesting thing going on in the world right now is the legendary quest line, but, obviously that is something that will progress pretty slowly over the next year or so.

ampere

Mythic Warforged item from highmaul mission

Item is from Imperator

http://replygif.net/i/137.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is the item for your role though

My last mission gave me a Mythic Butcher dps ring, fail.

[quote="I'm an expert, post: 145720471"]Yep, had to save up for my azuresong mageblade. Why I've said before the welfare epic system in game now sucks. Purples should only come from real raiding and high end pvp. Maybe one or two craftable. People are insta purp decked so quickly.. It should take months.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I can understand that PoV but they essentially changed it so 'elite' or 'mythic' is the tag that matters rather than color. Epic almost just means level cap gear now

Finally managed to kill Imperator on Normal with a group that didn't require the achievement, my chances of finding subsequent groups for heroic have gone up tenfold.

Red Comet

The hell did they do to this game after the 6.0 patch? Jaggies everywhere and runs worse with my new 980 than it did on a 680.

Yeah, they changed the anti-aliasing with 6.0. It is worse than MSAA, but you get used to it eventually. I'm using CMAA right now and it's okay, but the jaggies are particularly noticeable on the model viewer when previewing gear or whatever. You should have seen better performance, not worse though.

And I'm getting put in a queue when I try to log in as well...

borghe

Assault on Skettis is goddamn awful

It's not. I actually enjoy(ed) it once I figured out how to do it.

hint: don't bother killing shit unless you are out of slave keys. I believe it's only about 30 or so freed slaves to get 100%. but yeah, until I figured that out life was pretty much hell.

Mupod

It's not. I actually enjoy(ed) it once I figured out how to do it.

hint: don't bother killing shit unless you are out of slave keys. I believe it's only about 30 or so freed slaves to get 100%. but yeah, until I figured that out life was pretty much hell.

My problem with it was that everything was buggy as shit and overcrowded. If I was there by myself it wouldn't have been an issue.

borghe

My problem with it was that everything was buggy as shit and overcrowded. If I was there by myself it wouldn't have been an issue.

two buggiest things I noticed were the boss by the slave free-er guy is frequently bugged (though this is great because you can usually run past him with slaves with no issue), and the slave free-er guy is like RIGHT on the border of the event.. so if you accidentally run too far with slaves they will despawn costing you the time and keys spent on them.

well that and overwhelmed by enemies constantly (not sure if that's what you meant over crowded).

I'd put the experience as the best single-player AC quest, and WAY less annoying than the pit.. and slightly less annoying than Shatt.

I'm an expert

Why would anyone ever solo an Apexis.. Truly hell on earth. And skettis is awful. Never did it after the first time.

borghe

Why would anyone ever solo an Apexis.. Truly hell on earth. And skettis is awful. Never did it after the first time.

for me personally

a) if group means the pit. seriously fuck that place.
b) solo is slower but less hot/cold than group. group is usually fine, but there are times when your group just falls apart quickly and you have to requeue.. and then find the new group so you start getting credit again, and then that one falls apart, etc. some days I just don't want to fuck with it..

I'm an expert

I have honestly never had that experience. You get in a group and the leader keeps the group queued/rolling.. you finish the daily in 2-3 minutes. I just did the pit today, over in 2 minutes just following the tracks. Now, every once in a while you get phased to a high pop server where there's a lot of competing groups, but then you just drop and find a new one quickly. But doing it solo is just wasting time.

ampere

yeah, i mean it has haste, but it still has mastery. They are the leather pants from last boss, and Im a brewmaster tank. Almost 670ilvl now.

Ah the legs. Yea they have haste, but no other options until BRF

What's up with this bnet launcher queue?

I've got a queue too, first time ever. Maybe they are being DDOS'd again? :/

Remember you can always get around launcher problems using the Wow.exe to boot.

JSoup

Banned
Are there any not obvious benefits to the Inn?
I have all the achievements and toys I can get from it, short of the Wayfarer's Bonfire, but I can get that from anyone who has the correct follower already.
I like the building ascetically, but if it's use has passed....

Robin64

Finally got my Alliance character to 90 and holy crap, Shadowmoon is just way better than Frostfire. So much nicer to look at, to be in, and the stories just seems better. I don't think I even need to mention the Garrison.

Finally got my Alliance character to 90 and holy crap, Shadowmoon is just way better than Frostfire. So much nicer to look at, to be in, and the stories just seems better. I don't think I even need to mention the Garrison.

I was with you all the way until the stories :( Music in Shadowmoon is fantastic though

Horde characters are a lot more interesting imo

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, I way prefered the alliance over Horde's starting zone.

That last quest in FFR is GNARLY

Pick pocket 4 labormasters, free four arakkoa, build morale to ~40, guide them back to the NPCs at the edges of the zone. Repeat.

Done solo in less than half an hour if you know what you're doing. Form a group of 5, farm the keys from drops and you'll be done even sooner. Don't waste time on achievements or trying to get %completion from kills alone and you're done in a fraction of the time.

JSoup

Banned
I don't think I even need to mention the Garrison.

In particular, the archaeology trophy room.
In the Horde garrison, it's just a side sitting area that all of my junk is piled up into.
In the Alliance garrison, it's an actual private room with tables and chairs.
I guess the idea is it shows the difference between the two factions. Horde builds what it needs at the moment and the side room full of trophies being fully visible from the main room is a show of authority, while the Alliance wants it's settlements to feel like comfortable towns and the trophy room is my toon indulging a bit.

Top Bottom