• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

So I have played my warlock for almost the 10 years WoW has been out (some breaks). He is definitely what I consider my main. I haven't been in a raiding guild since Cata though when RL caught up and I couldn't maintain their schedule.

I have been playing with the idea of making a new character (tank) for raiding and other end game PvE content now that things have kind of slowed down for me. I have always enjoyed tanking (loved the idea lock tanking even though it will never happen even when they teased us with that glyph though). However, I feel like by doing this I'd be abandoning my lock. I do feel like it will be easier to get my foot in the door with tanking (if heroic queues have taught me anything). It also doesn't help that I feel like I'm bad at dps this expansion when I like to think I've held my own in the past.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for reading my vent if you did. On another note: DK or pally for tanking?

cleared normal. I'm 6/7 heroic just by pugging it, but my guild hasn't even tried Brack and Ko'ragh because we were spending our few raiding days doing Normal. I hope once everyone's back from holidays we'll get right back to Heroic.

Honestly I think guilds don't even need to do normal. But it's kind of the tradeoff I'm willing to accept to only raid a few hours a week.
Da faq?
We clear norm in 15 peeps in like.. 1 hour? 1 hour and half with 3-4 shitdps.. Add an additional quarter of hour if we bring some dead weght to gear form scratch..
Only reason we are not doing mythic is because we're trying to filter the five least shit amongst our shit to bring to kargath..
I mean heroic, tonight without even too much effort pretty much all the staple figure in our raid ended doing at least 80% better than any logs in warcraft.logs based on ranking, with our spriest closing an impressive 99% percentile..
What is your guild ilev median in raid?

On a side note, i've hit the plateau with my lock..
At 662 ilvl i'm constantly getting beaten by mage 657 and spriest 671..
In kargath it was insulting..
I closed kargath at 26k..
Mage 29k..
Spriest 31k...
I was like oooook when should i reroll???
Make me generate more members from inci/conflag... That would be a nice starting point...

Rokam

Getting into a PuG as a Ret Pally seems to be a chore and a half. Specifically getting in for Ko'Ragh, need Spell damage... need melee... how about both? No, go fuck yourself! Or link achievement, which I completely understand why, but still sucks. All the groups I have gotten into have been full of bad, tanks dying to the arcane dot, dps running into the middle when they're not supposed to, not standing in swirly bits of goodness. Such an easy fight too :/.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Noticed that the reason my bank always feels cramped is because I am still using runecloth bags. Feels good to upgrade after 10 years.

I'm in this situation too. I'm almost scared we're going to STILL be doing normal next week.

Like..whats the point of being in a guild?

Spent another evening wiping on Normal Imp., people having no clue how any of the mechanics work or constantly standing in mines. Yet I killed it after a single wipe in a pug this week. I think I'll just hold off on signing up for guild raids, seems like there's more progress to be had and it's also not nearly as frustrating since in pugs people who fail actually get kicked from the raid.

Renekton

So I have played my warlock for almost the 10 years WoW has been out (some breaks). He is definitely what I consider my main. I haven't been in a raiding guild since Cata though when RL caught up and I couldn't maintain their schedule.

I have been playing with the idea of making a new character (tank) for raiding and other end game PvE content now that things have kind of slowed down for me. I have always enjoyed tanking (loved the idea lock tanking even though it will never happen even when they teased us with that glyph though). However, I feel like by doing this I'd be abandoning my lock. I do feel like it will be easier to get my foot in the door with tanking (if heroic queues have taught me anything). It also doesn't help that I feel like I'm bad at dps this expansion when I like to think I've held my own in the past.

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for reading my vent if you did. On another note: DK or pally for tanking?
For some reason, locks are in far higher demand than tanks atm, purely from my PUG experience.

Tank comparisons

ZenaxPure

Found a Gorok group a few days ago and a Luk'hok group a few hours ago, which means I have all the rare spawn mounts in Draenor now. Pretty happy about that considering I still do not have a TLP or a Phosphorescent drake after all these years. Making them drop for anyone who tags was a good change as far as I'm concerned.

M.D

Normal was perfectly fine for me. Although, I can say Imperator requires to be very careful with mechanics and tactics as some simple fuck ups (getting near tank debuff, failing at mines, etc...) can lead to wipes.

Hell, it took me 87 wipes over the last few weeks till I finally got him yesterday. :p

87 wipes? damn ;p

I wanted to continue to the next wings today, but turns out they are not open to lfr yet? I tried joining some groups doing normal runs, but no luck..

My ilvl is 620, maybe that's why...

Anyways, I just found this cloak doing some daily quest

Flamelicked Cloak of Kaufebyrd

I didn't know such high lvl items could drop from trash mobs ;o I almost equipped it but then I noticed its int and I'm playing feral

Checking AH for how much I could sell it for

I hope there's substantial 6.1 info this week.
Frankly my hope is different..
I hope they confirm a filler raid between black rock fouundry and final xpac raid..
Because as is, clearing heroic with a solid group takes like 1 hour TOPS (considering break, piss time, etc)..
As soon as we get sorted on the past 5 members to bring in mythic We'll resume progression..
So, we spend 1 hour heroic, say we then reach the point of mythic pre-emperor in 2h..
That leaves a shit load of time in the week, and that's coming from a guild like mine that doesn't attempt any world first as of now, i don't want to imagine what's like for world first raiders....
Of well i can accept this but...
If their words are not lies and we won't get any content stuck there for 7+months.... either we have 1year and 2 months expac (which is ridiculous...) or we get an additional raid (even troll based god... )Just give me three "main raid"...
Don't let me down blizz...

zanyu

Damn! It appears I'm going to fall a day short of being able to get the mount. =(

They are fixing it to make sure it ends Tuesday. So you'll have one last chance!

Own plug....

Hey just wondering if any mount collectors on GAF and interested in buying a spectral tiger.
(rare)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=49283

I also have a S/S gilnean raven for any people who are huge into pet battles. Pet is no longer available in-game.

If so add my btag. dyscord#1138 or pm here is fine.

Effect

Well looks I've done what I can story wise in Warlords of Draenor while playing solo. Had a feeling the real ending to this story would be done in raids and that's really something I just don't have time for these days. A few dungeons here and there might be doable on a weekend at night and might try that before the month ends. I don't know how well the dungeon finder works. If it's as good as the one in Final Fantasy XIV which made doing some dungeon/instances possible for me when I played then great. However what I really don't want to deal with is any negative aspects of the raiding/dungeon culture. In the past that's been a huge turn off for me as far as WoW goes. As a result though of leveling to 100 on my worgen druid and being pretty much finished with the solo quest lines (maybe one or two I need to finish up. ) I canceled my subscription and will let it run out.

Think I got a significant amount of time out of the game. Been playing non-stop the last few days after getting the game as a gift during the holidays. Having a week off, no where to really good and bad weather keeping me off the roads certainly helped as well. A few hours to get my druid from 56 to 60 to be boosted and then pretty much all the zones I could do. Now just trying to see if I can get enough resources to boost my garrison/town hall to level 3 before my time runs out. Only have 1000 saved up as of last night and need another 1000.

I did like the expansion from what I played of it. The garrison was the appropriate size. I was concerned that would be an issue before I played. There are a few characters I'm interested seeing what their ultimate fate is. Which is why I might be trying track down some raid footage if there is any with the story elements kept in so see how things go.

Now to find something else to play that won't be as demanding of my time or patience.

Robin64

Well looks I've done what I can story wise in Warlords of Draenor while playing solo. Had a feeling the real ending to this story would be done in raids and that's really something I just don't have time for these days.

LFR was made for you. It's stupidly easy and requires the absolute minimum time investment, even less than solo activities do. You'll get to see the raid stories.

Well looks I've done what I can story wise in Warlords of Draenor while playing solo. Had a feeling the real ending to this story would be done in raids and that's really something I just don't have time for these days. A few dungeons here and there might be doable on a weekend at night and might try that before the month ends. I don't know how well the dungeon finder works. If it's as good as the one in Final Fantasy XIV which made doing some dungeon/instances possible for me when I played then great. However what I really don't want to deal with is any negative aspects of the raiding/dungeon culture. In the past that's been a huge turn off for me as far as WoW goes. As a result though of leveling to 100 on my worgen druid and being pretty much finished with the solo quest lines (maybe one or two I need to finish up. ) I canceled my subscription and will let it run out.

Think I got a significant amount of time out of the game. Been playing non-stop the last few days after getting the game as a gift during the holidays. Having a week off, no where to really good and bad weather keeping me off the roads certainly helped as well. A few hours to get my druid from 56 to 60 to be boosted and then pretty much all the zones I could do. Now just trying to see if I can get enough resources to boost my garrison/town hall to level 3 before my time runs out. Only have 1000 saved up as of last night and need another 1000.

I did like the expansion from what I played of it. The garrison was the appropriate size. I was concerned that would be an issue before I played. There are a few characters I'm interested seeing what their ultimate fate is. Which is why I might be trying track down some raid footage if there is any with the story elements kept in so see how things go.

Now to find something else to play that won't be as demanding of my time or patience.

Looking for group/raid tools are for people exactly like you. The wait time seems to be about 30 minutes right now on average, but you can quest, do garrison stuff, ect while waiting. Normal and heroic dungeons take about 30 minutes to finish. If LFR is like it was in panda, then you only do 3-4 bosses at a time and that takes 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the raid group and if you wipe a lot or not. In the previous xpac, I did some LFRs in 30-40 minutes because the group was over geared and very cohesive.

Effect

LFR was made for you. It's stupidly easy and requires the absolute minimum time investment, even less than solo activities do. You'll get to see the raid stories.

Looking for group/raid tools are for people exactly like you. The wait time seems to be about 30 minutes right now on average, but you can quest, do garrison stuff, ect while waiting. Normal and heroic dungeons take about 30 minutes to finish. If LFR is like it was in panda, then you only do 3-4 bosses at a time and that takes 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the raid group and if you wipe a lot or not. In the previous xpac, I did some LFRs in 30-40 minutes because the group was over geared and very cohesive.

Excellent. Then I'll give it a try this week and see how things go. Thanks.

phierce

Question...so, on my brand new/week old Sager 8278-S (970m), I'm getting occassional stutters or slight pauses when I change target/move/during battle.

I've tried all different settings and the only addon I have is elvui.

Any ideas?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

LFR wait time for DPS is even shorter than heroics in WoD. Maybe 10 minutes compared to 30-35 for heroics. Probably because of how stupid easy it is, while heroics are still somewhat a challenge with pugs. Doesn't make sense when heroics gear is not as good as LFR.

Entropia

No One Remembers
LFR in Draenor makes LFR in Pandaria look like Mythic raiding.

Pretty much. Though I hated how it's always seemed that killing a boss in LFR took FOREVER compared to killing a boss in normal/heroic/mythic.

Kind of prefer this implementation.

M.D

Sold this for 13k on the auction house today
I was about to trade it for some gloves that weren't even that great for me since they had vers and haste, and I need crit and mastery as feral

The guy sent me a trade offer and I was about to cancel the auction, then as I'm about to hit cancel the auction disappears and it says someone bought it lol

I have 25.1k now, that's more than I've ever had! I don't really know what to do with the gold tho..

My ilvl is 622, maybe I should buy some items to boost it? I'm behind on ilvl after having started this xpac only last month or so, and it seems people want higher ilvl for normal runs

Is there any way to get higher lvl items besides dungeons and weekly lfr?

Draxal

LFR in Draenor makes LFR in Pandaria look like Mythic raiding.

Ayup, no Dark Shamans or Nazgrim here. But then again lfr loot in Pandaria was much much better as well.

LFR wait time for DPS is even shorter than heroics in WoD. Maybe 10 minutes compared to 30-35 for heroics. Probably because of how stupid easy it is, while heroics are still somewhat a challenge with pugs. Doesn't make sense when heroics gear is not as good as LFR.

No tank shortage in lfr, and its really easy to heal so healers aren't intimidated.

StMeph

I have 25.1k now, that's more than I've ever had! I don't really know what to do with the gold tho..

My ilvl is 622, maybe I should buy some items to boost it? I'm behind on ilvl after having started this xpac only last month or so, and it seems people want higher ilvl for normal runs

Normal is tuned for about 630 or so, and with the raid being open for nearly a month now, the average ilevel demands for PUGs will continue creeping upward. 622's too low except for guild groups willing to carry and gear you.

You can run Heroics for 630, LFR for 640, and world bosses for 650. Crafted BOEs are 640 for their base versions, and there are BOE 665 world drops, as well as 655/670/685 cloaks, gloves, and belts from Highmaul. There are also follower missions for 630, 645, and 655+ gear.

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your gold, because it's a matter of priorities, but if you want to raid Normal or higher soon, then you will probably need to buy some gear to bring up your ilevel. Gold doesn't have many applications. It's mostly vanity items or BOE gear.

Hellers

Before christmas I bought one of those new dirt cheap range of Windows tablets. Specifically a 1gig 8 inch Linx. I paid 80 UKP for it but various models have been in different sales for a while.

Today I decided to see if it could run WoW. Turns out it can. I wouldn't use it as a main rig but it's certainly good enough to run some garrison tasks during a lunch break in the office. I'm using the bluetooth keyboard from the DS Pokemon typing game and a dirt cheap bt mouse I bought from amazon. Stuck a few addons in the mix for convenience.

Here's a poor video I shot one handed

4c7jK3A.png

*Edit* All running from a 64gig microsd card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xoLlUQPAI&feature=youtu.be

Draxal

Normal is tuned for about 630 or so, and with the raid being open for nearly a month now, the average ilevel demands for PUGs will continue creeping upward. 622's too low except for guild groups willing to carry and gear you.

You can run Heroics for 630, LFR for 640, and world bosses for 650. Crafted BOEs are 640 for their base versions, and there are BOE 665 world drops, as well as 655/670/685 cloaks, gloves, and belts from Highmaul. There are also follower missions for 630, 645, and 655+ gear.

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your gold, because it's a matter of priorities, but if you want to raid Normal or higher soon, then you will probably need to buy some gear to bring up your ilevel. Gold doesn't have many applications. It's mostly vanity items or BOE gear.

You can always do ashran do get PVP gear to bump up ilevel as well. And garrisons are such a gold sink especially if you have alts.

vocab

Question...so, on my brand new/week old Sager 8278-S (970m), I'm getting occassional stutters or slight pauses when I change target/move/during battle.

I've tried all different settings and the only addon I have is elvui.

Any ideas?
Shit drivers or fullscreen window mode.

phierce

Shit drivers or fullscreen window mode.
First thing I did was make sure my nvidia drivers were up to date, and I've tried it windowed, windowed-full screen and non-windowed. Shit still happens.

What other drivers could be shit on a brand new rig?

Edit: just to add, FFXIV runs flawlessly.

Edit for specs:
Primary Hard Drive 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDX97)
mSATA SSD Drive ( Slot 2 ) NO mSATA Solid State Drive
mSATA SSD Drive ( Slot 1 ) 256GB Crucial M550 mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive ( Operating System – Drive C: )
Ram 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [1x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM02S)
Graphics Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970M (6.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX11 (Maxwell) [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU12X)
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Processor Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4710MQ (2.5GHz - 3.5GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I am at 646 right now. My gear is all from LFR, world bosses, garrison missions or getting conquest in Ashran. I have not done any raiding outside of LFR and have not bought anything. I should be a bit higher tomorrow once I get my conquest daggers. If you have not earned any conquest yet the catch up mechanic should allow you to get 3-4 660 items right now.

zanyu

Getting conquest PVP gear is 660, and aren't terrible pieces of gear. If you get revered with Wrynn's vanguard you have a selection of 3 pieces per slot. Get the piece best itemized for you if you don't care about 2/4 piece set bonuses.

If you are really into PVP getting 2k-2.4k nets you 2700+ points. Which can easily get you 2 pieces of gear for cheap areas.

Normal cap is 1500 + 200 ashran, so 1700 which is one 1250 piece, a ring or something.

You can always buy cheap AH 640 items around 5k, also world bosses give you 650 gear.

ampere

Did some Gold CMs this weekend, they are quite tough! With no Vengeance to exploit for high damage and no gear creep via gem sockets... I am thinking these will remain difficult throughout the expac, which is cool. People do figure out better strategies over time, so that does gradually make things a bit easier. Skyreach was tough, mainly because the second boss is still a beast, and the birds after the second boss just wrack the tank with the stacking damage debuff, and the packs before the final boss are just horrible. We used invis pots before the final trash mob construct because he is awful. Iron Docks and Auchindoun are pretty easy, good starting dungeons.

Got stuck with a Silver on Everbloom, missed timer by 13 seconds. Already know a few improvements we can make, but people were not kidding about that timer being tight. Pulling the mage trash mobs is just an awful affair without Gorefiend's Grasp, but I am a Monk tank main. At least I have Arcane Torrent :x.

What's the Mage-iest faction I can use as garrison guards? Blood elves, ideally.

Yes? So use Blood Elves? You have the option to pick which race guards your Garrison with a level 3 Barracks. Just not sure if you are asking a question or just commenting lol.

cdyhybrid

Yes? So use Blood Elves? You have the option to pick which race guards your Garrison with a level 3 Barracks. Just not sure if you are asking a question or just commenting lol.

I was wondering if you could do guards from a faction where they'll all be mages, and ideally blood elves.

ampere

I was wondering if you could do guards from a faction where they'll all be mages, and ideally blood elves.

Oh. No I don't think so. I have Blood Elf guards and some of them are clearly Warriors with staff/polearm and shield. I don't think class is configurable.

zanyu

Did some Gold CMs this weekend, they are quite tough! With no Vengeance to exploit for high damage and no gear creep via gem sockets... I am thinking these will remain difficult throughout the expac, which is cool. People do figure out better strategies over time, so that does gradually make things a bit easier. Skyreach was tough, mainly because the second boss is still a beast, and the birds after the second boss just wrack the tank with the stacking damage debuff, and the packs before the final boss are just horrible. We used invis pots before the final trash mob construct because he is awful. Iron Docks and Auchindoun are pretty easy, good starting dungeons.

Got stuck with a Silver on Everbloom, missed timer by 13 seconds. Already know a few improvements we can make, but people were not kidding about that timer being tight. Pulling the mage trash mobs is just an awful affair without Gorefiend's Grasp, but I am a Monk tank main. At least I have Arcane Torrent :x.

For sky reach, if you are a paladin with clemency, you can just BoP 2 ranged dps during quills.

As far as challenge modes goes, it really is a huge pain in the ass. And daily challenge mode quests aren't even remotely worth it.

The only thing I can see making the CMs easier if the legendary ring proc working and not getting scaled down, super op trinkets, and enchants.

th3dude

My tips for gearing. I haven't done anything higher than LFR so far and I am at ilvl 635.

* 2 pieces of 640 from LFR
* 2 pieces of 640 from Blacksmithing in my Garrison
* Got my weapon from Silver proving grounds, and got lucky and it auto-upgraded to 640 purple
* Several pieces of Heroic 630 gear
* 680 ring from Legendary quest line
* Still using one or 2 615ish pieces from questing, need to upgrade those next
* One piece from Apexis crystals (do your dailies!)

Soon I'll have my Garrison followers upgraded enough to start raiding, so that will help.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so is the difficulty of Proving Grounds (any difficulty) static? my spriest dinged 100 at ~576 ilevel (with DPS gear).. So I went to Proving Grounds Healing and just struggled to clear Bronze.. I mean I am pretty sure I have no chance in clearing Silver without considerable effort.. do I just suck(probably) or is it because I have too low of ilevel for PG Silver effectively?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
so is the difficulty of Proving Grounds (any difficulty) static? my spriest dinged 100 at ~576 ilevel (with DPS gear).. So I went to Proving Grounds Healing and just struggled to clear Bronze.. I mean I am pretty sure I have no chance in clearing Silver without considerable effort.. do I just suck(probably) or is it because I have too low of ilevel for PG Silver effectively?

You need upgrades. Do Nagrand, do normal mode dungeons. When you hit 610-615 you'll be able to do it.

Thanks for the info. I have not Qd for LFR yet. I have a lock at 632 and am working on getting my mage and shaman to 100.

Sold this for 13k on the auction house today
I was about to trade it for some gloves that weren't even that great for me since they had vers and haste, and I need crit and mastery as feral

The guy sent me a trade offer and I was about to cancel the auction, then as I'm about to hit cancel the auction disappears and it says someone bought it lol

Enjoy, gold is pretty damn easy to come by now. I can solo 25man firelands and dragon soul in a little over an hour and get 2500g. Im going to be quite rich by the time I get the 3 mounts from there. I was at 70k, bought some gloves for 23k on xmas eve, and Im already back to 68k. The only thing I do is questing and garrison stuff. I have yet put a single profession thing on the AH.

Jesus H Christ riding a bike on a step ladder the Garrisons AH is expensive.

I bought the level 2 trading post, looked at the quest I needed to get the AH. Make a note of the shit I need and they're all like 30k+ One item I think was 10. One was friggin' 70k.

It's going to be 200k+ man and I'm poor as shit.

On the plus side, I'm undercutting everyone like nobodies business and making some coin that way. Running old raids then disenchanting all the bops

The drop rate on AH bot parts is shameful. There's little upside to having a Trading Post unless you like throwing money away by trading mats for garrison resources or gold for auction bot parts or apexis crystals for a transmog of questionable quality.

Top Bottom