• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The drop rate on AH bot parts is shameful. There's little upside to having a Trading Post unless you like throwing money away by trading mats for garrison resources or gold for auction bot parts or apexis crystals for a transmog of questionable quality.

Trading post generates me tons of money. I have characters that have thousands of resources I no longer have use for. I can trade those for mats to sell on the AH.

But yeah, the bot is too expensive. Especially considering you need 4 parts from Ashran. I have spent tons of time in Ashran and have never seen one drop. I think it would be better if they made you craft any 2 of the 4 combined parts to build the AH bot, not all 4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NpJGKjN.jpg

dat one score win :lol

Peachpies

so is the difficulty of Proving Grounds (any difficulty) static? my spriest dinged 100 at ~576 ilevel (with DPS gear).. So I went to Proving Grounds Healing and just struggled to clear Bronze.. I mean I am pretty sure I have no chance in clearing Silver without considerable effort.. do I just suck(probably) or is it because I have too low of ilevel for PG Silver effectively?
the difficulty of the enemies in proving grounds (all difficulties) scales off of your gear with a minimum difficulty of 615 item level so if you have gear below that it will be harder than intended

Renekton

I want to add that it seems to get harder if you deck out in gears past 615, not sure how the scaling works but it was giving my druid hell.

Atlantis

Hey GAF, having some really strange bugs with WoW since I started playing again. Made a post on the forums a few weeks ago and got no response, so time to ask you guys. :p

Just gonna copy and paste the forum post.

- Various race/sex combinations appear strangely in Unit Frame portraits. This is kind of hard to explain. Sometimes, the portrait just doesn't look correct. They'll have odd textures, female Draenei will be missing horns, ect. Seems to happen most commonly when targeting Humans. I am using the new models, if that helps.

Here's a picture of it. Portraits on the left are the correct ones, the portraits on the left are messed up.

- Tooltips for buffs and debuffs will not display on mouse over. This is an extremely aggravating problem. Action Bar tooltips are not affected, but buffs/debuffs on myself and my target will not display information when I scroll over them. The info box will sometimes pop up for less than a second if I slowly drag my cursor over the buff/debuff box.

- NPC dialogue boxes do not appear. This affects both quests and just random NPC banter. Happens both when right clicking a NPC or accepting/completing quests. What's really odd is the NPC is still "engaged" with me. They'll track my position if I move and if I walk away the "close dialogue box" sound will play and they'll say a goodbye quote. It's like the box is there, but I just can't see it.

I'm not using any addons. Game runs fine outside of these annoyances. Reloading the UI fixes the tooltip issue and the portrait bug sometimes, but I'd like to avoid having to do that every ten minutes.

cdyhybrid

Hey GAF, having some really strange bugs with WoW since I started playing again. Made a post on the forums a few weeks ago and got no response, so time to ask you guys. :p

Just gonna copy and paste the forum post.

I get the NPC dialogue box issue too. I just walk away and click on them again.

lexi

Banned

I only get this with Garrison Work Order people. The Add-on 'Bulkie' has fixed it for me, because even though their dialog doesn't popup, Bulkie does, and clicking 'Queue all' will just force the NPC's dialog box to open then.

BTW everyone should get Bulkie regardless.

Couleurs

If you have a bodyguard following you or are somewhere with other interactable NPCs close by, you can also click them then click again on the NPC you are trying to use and the dialogue box will work.

Babalu.

welp paladin 4 peice just became useless in both pve and pvp now. GJ blizz.
the 6% was ok but knocking it down to 4 sec makes it useless.

[Currently in testing] PvP 4-piece set bonus for Retribution Paladins now increases damage and healing by 2% per Holy Power spent (down from 3%) for 4 seconds (down from 8 seconds).

PvP
Ashran
[Requires a realm restart] Players now have 60 seconds to accept the prompt to enter Ashran (up from 20 seconds).

THANK GOD. PLEASE PUT A GIANT SOUND EFFECT ON IT AS WELL!

Looking forward to tomorrow mainly to see if I can finish my Firelands Paladin lookalike set. That and a quick Baron Geddon run.

Otherwise I'm still taking a break from extensive mount runs and alt playing managing.

Spent 3 hours tonight on heroic Imp. Our only good attempt was 2nd to last one where we got to phase 4 with almost everyone alive but had our tank die from boss and adds since we had everyone focusing on Ogres. Our last attempt bombed when a DK misclicked and deathgripped a Mage next to the other one.

Thinking of just grinding out the remaining 9 boss kills I need to get Mythic Highmaul caches, Kargath groups shouldn't be that difficult to find right?

Robin64

Thinking about just blitzing MC this week for Hatespark. Being extended feels like a sign. But urgh, I've seen people talk about having done it over 30 times and not seeing that thing. Blizzard claim it's a 10% chance to drop.

I have given up trying to tame Terrorpene. Full realm + CRZ means it's practically impossible. Don't matter what time you go there he's already being camped

Balls

1up

Freakin Challenge modes man. Been trying to pug them for two weeks now. Only managed 2 golds so far.

Yesterday was the worst. We had a group that insisted on pulling the WHOLE first room in UBRS. That's like 20+ guys. We managed to do it 3 or 4 times and on the last attempt got it down and made it to the last boss with 3mins 30 seconds. Couldnt ask for more!

Our warrior dps did 10k, our shaman did 11k. We couldn't do it in time. I couldn't believe it. I gave up right after that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Paladins, Deathknights and Druids, man. Why they aren't being nerfed into the ground and then slowly brought in line is beyond me.

All three of those classes are almost totally nerf proof right now because the thing that makes them broken is also their only gimmick.

DK survivability and self healing is all the class has going for it. They can only burst for at most 6 GCDs every 5 minutes really. The conversion nerf is really only going to impact 1v1 because in a 2v1 or 3v1 they will still have nearly infinite RP generation, really dumb change honestly.

Ret pally's burst and mobility is also all they have, when their burst is down they do no damage, the only real way you could nerf ret is nerfing their support stuff like bop and off healing.

Druids only really have an opener and off heals, they can't really peel or do much of anything besides not get kited and off heal decently.

Lanrutcon

All three of those classes are almost totally nerf proof right now because the thing that makes them broken is also their only gimmick.

DK survivability and self healing is all the class has going for it. They can only burst for at most 6 GCDs every 5 minutes really. The conversion nerf is really only going to impact 1v1 because in a 2v1 or 3v1 they will still have nearly infinite RP generation, really dumb change honestly.

Ret pally's burst and mobility is also all they have, when their burst is down they do no damage, the only real way you could nerf ret is nerfing their support stuff like bop and off healing.

Druids only really have an opener and off heals, they can't really peel or do much of anything besides not get kited and off heal decently.

Ok, then bring the rest of the classes in line. Healing, survivability and burst for everyone.

StMeph

Ok, then bring the rest of the classes in line. Healing, survivability and burst for everyone.

No Blizzard game -- WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo -- has ever NOT had rolling FotM classes, builds, specs, characters, races, or whatever. Blizzard is not good at balance, especially for PvP. Brood War was a happy accident.

Spuck-uk

Banned
No Blizzard game -- WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo -- has ever NOT had rolling FotM classes, builds, specs, characters, races, or whatever. Blizzard is not good at balance, especially for PvP. Brood War was a happy accident.

The fact that it's HAD rolling and not static FOTM stuff puts it miles above virtually every other games company in terms of balance.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

nah, that isn't it at all. when you are tuning classes, the problem is you aren't tuning classes in a bubble. When you make a class stronger, you are effectively nerfing the other classes. when you nerf a class, you are effectively making the other classes stronger. That's just the way of tuning of multiplayer game with high levels of differentiation between a large number of classes/types.

this is made even worse by WoW's status as a mid-tier esport. so not only do they have to tune the game to make paying players happy (or try to, or not) but they have to tune it in a way that it keeps the game competitive for both playing and watching as an esport.

flavor of the months (aside from paladin, DK and druid) generally come about as the "least fucked with class" over a period of time. i.e. the least fucked with class usually ends up on the top of the pile (Warlocks in MoP) until everyone bitches at which point blizz nerfs them to the ground and starts over.

imho, outside of the pally/druid/DK (and possibly Monk?) holy trinity, mages seem to be the top of the pack right now for most single-/-low- target situations. which hasn't been the case since the very beginning of cata.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Doesn't balance it out. Not even close. Especially in pvp. Most utility is largely ignorable.

I agree, because arena has honestly become a war of attrition over anything else right now. I was just trying to show why in blizzards eyes those classes are "nerf proof".

Like I said earlier, that conversion nerf to DK's doesn't even really change much since in most scenarios where the DK is being focused he will have a near infinite supply of RP.

Gz, when I tried doing the battleground I always came across some crazy imbalances, I just gave up eventually. 30 ally vs 20 horde <ok>

My first southshore was over in less than 60 seconds, the entire alliance town was overrun.

My second southshore ran the timer out and alliance won by like four points. It was a wild swing after an 8 minute stalemate at the tower where horde has massive terrain advantages.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I sold my enchanted elementium bars last week since they have been in my bank forever. Today my 2nd binding drops...

Last night I decided to start working on some of the tedious stuff for mounts and started up the large amount of fishing needed for the level 3 fishing shack. While flying to Frostfire to work on my next 100 enormous fish I figured I should check LFG for an invasion to get the weekly gold done before the reset. First thing I see is a group called, "Silthide is up. Join for mount." I was the fourth person in there so I thought it was just trolling. The other three people were all at one of the spawn points so I quickly got over there. Sure enough the hippo is swimming about. We successfully got a full 40 person raid there (barely, some people started attacking) and everyone got their big hippo mount. Nice and easy.

Went back to Frostfire to fish up Fire Ammonite. Figured I might as well check the Gorok spots since I've never camped for it. Got to the fourth spot way out at the SW corner and it wasn't up there but there was an LFG group called something like, "Welcome server hoppers, all are welcome!" Joined that and immediately Gorok phased into view. Only around five people in there and since they weren't mount campers only a couple joined but other random people joined that raid until we had around 15 people come for Gorok. The guy that formed it didn't bother changing the group name so it was just luck of the draw for people joining as they weren't aware Gorok would be up for the group.

Anyhow, neat to get both of them done in the night with essentially zero work involved. Now just have Poundfist. Oh boy.

I'm now up to 241 mounts (when logged on an old Paladin I don't play). It won't take all that much effort to get my 250 at this point.

Last night I decided to start working on some of the tedious stuff for mounts and started up the large amount of fishing needed for the level 3 fishing shack. While flying to Frostfire to work on my next 100 enormous fish I figured I should check LFG for an invasion to get the weekly gold done before the reset. First thing I see is a group called, "Silthide is up. Join for mount." I was the fourth person in there so I thought it was just trolling. The other three people were all at one of the spawn points so I quickly got over there. Sure enough the hippo is swimming about. We successfully got a full 40 person raid there (barely, some people started attacking) and everyone got their big hippo mount. Nice and easy.

Went back to Frostfire to fish up Fire Ammonite. Figured I might as well check the Gorok spots since I've never camped for it. Got to the fourth spot way out at the SW corner and it wasn't up there but there was an LFG group called something like, "Welcome server hoppers, all are welcome!" Joined that and immediately Gorok phased into view. Only around five people in there and since they weren't mount campers only a couple joined but other random people joined that raid until we had around 15 people come for Gorok. The guy that formed it didn't bother changing the group name so it was just luck of the draw for people joining as they weren't aware Gorok would be up for the group.

Anyhow, neat to get both of them done in the night with essentially zero work involved. Now just have Poundfist. Oh boy.

I'm now up to 241 mounts (when logged on an old Paladin I don't play). It won't take all that much effort to get my 250 at this point.

Wow that's a lucky mount day. Last night I got ganked fighting Zandalari Warbringers the two times I found them. Logged off after that. I need to L2PvP

ampere

People who make groups in LFG when rare spawn mounts are up are just the nicest. Have a few guildies who got some of them that way. I camped a lot for Poundfist and got it, but I don't have the other 5 yet. Not counting Garn since he's up all the time and I'll get around to it when we have a lot of gear.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Made the mistake of doing 2 Garrison Invasions the same week, and one of them was yesterday... didn't know you could only get the loot once a week... should have waited for today. =/

I invited my girlfriend to my garrison and we got to 920 points at the end... any easy tips for 1000? We both were missing bodyguard, maybe that would help.

cdyhybrid

Made the mistake of doing 2 Garrison Invasions the same week, and one of them was yesterday... didn't you could only get the loot once a week... should have waited for today. =/

I invited my girlfriend to my garrison and we got to 920 points at the end... any easy tips for 1000? We both were missing bodyguard, maybe that would help.

Get a third person.

ampere

Made the mistake of doing 2 Garrison Invasions the same week, and one of them was yesterday... didn't you could only get the loot once a week... should have waited for today. =/

Like what was said get a third person. But you should also know that you can't "save" an invasion for the next week. Tuesday's reset will clear any invasion quests you have ready.

th3dude

I posted this over in the /r/wow Tanking thread, but maybe I can get some advice here, too.

I used to play my Paladin as Protection years ago and loved it for the survival and still good DPS for PVE.

However, I've been playing more on-and-off over the last few years and just got back into playing so I have been playing Retribution to ease my way back into playing.

While I love Ret, I would love to get back into Protection. My questions:

1. I'm currently ilvl 635 as Retribution. Do I need to completely re-gear to start tanking? Or is the game more friendly to changing than before?
2. Once geared (first question), what content would you recommend that I run to start warming up to tanking again?

Thank you for your time!

Peachpies

I posted this over in the /r/wow Tanking thread, but maybe I can get some advice here, too.
the only thing you need to start tanking is a 1 hand weapon and shield, after that you can also get rings, trinkets, neck, and cloak that are intended for prot spec instead of ret but you can use the ret stuff until then without a problem, all the other gear is the same between specs. starting off in heroic dungeons is fine as they are pretty easy and prot paladins are fairly strong right now

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're going to need new gear in your neck, rings and trinket slots. A new one-hander and a shield too but that goes without saying. Prioritize bonus armor there, after that mastery then crit. From there just do the silver proving ground and go do heroics.

th3dude

Thanks for the responses!

So I can still use my Str/Sta/Crit/Mast/etc gear for the other slots? Will I eventually need to change that or is that gear completely dual-spec?

Edit: Just realized you already said this

all the other gear is the same between specs

That's pretty cool! Seems like you can switch easily between the 2 with just a couple of gear changes. Thanks again!

Jesus H Christ riding a bike on a step ladder the Garrisons AH is expensive.

I bought the level 2 trading post, looked at the quest I needed to get the AH. Make a note of the shit I need and they're all like 30k+ One item I think was 10. One was friggin' 70k.

It's going to be 200k+ man and I'm poor as shit.

This is why I gave up on getting the AH in my Garrison. If I need anything that second then I just port to Warspear. Everything else waits until I log off and then just do auctions on the Mobile App. I can just store my sellables in the bank and the app grabs those as well. So much easier than worrying about scanning the AH and listing that way.

Got one of the last pieces I needed for my Firelands Paladin lookalike set and realized I was able to restore the other two, which I did (vendored sometime in November). Also hit exalted with Avengers of Hyjal.

REALLY running out of space though. Could use another void storage tab or two. Lots of okay weapon choices, but I went with Halberd of Smiting since I swear my Sulfuras is unlucky.

th3dude

Got one of the last pieces I needed for my Firelands Paladin lookalike set and realized I was able to restore the other two, which I did (vendored sometime in November). Also hit exalted with Avengers of Hyjal.

REALLY running out of space though. Could use another void storage tab or two. Lots of okay weapon choices, but I went with Halberd of Smiting since I swear my Sulfuras is unlucky.

One thing I wish that Blizz would take away from what ArenaNet did with GuildWars 2 is an account-wide transmog library. Once you loot/acquire an item, it is permanently inserted into your library. Doesn't take up any space.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One thing I wish that Blizz would take away from what ArenaNet did with GuildWars 2 is an account-wide transmog library. Once you loot/acquire an item, it is permanently inserted into your library. Doesn't take up any space.

I just wish they'd let me transmog stuff into my Thunderfury...

Which is funny because that's how it works in Reaper of Souls...

Though a revamp to that sort of system would probably cost a raid tier. (Really, it would be quite a bit of work though.)

I just wish they'd let me transmog stuff into my Thunderfury...

When/if DW is viable on DK, I'd probably be Warglaives all day. Only problem is there aren't really any good green transmog sets that match.

Top Bottom