• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

It's not really a "the lich king is only arthas now". Unless someone else takes Ner'Zhul's place, there is no Lich King. There is no Scourge. Ner'Zhul never made the pact with Kil'jaeden. Unless someone takes his place, Warcraft 2 never happens, much less 3 and any of the stuff afterwards. I doubt they will go very far with the timeline, but if we go to Azeroth-2, Lordaeron isn't the Plaguelands, Dalaran is still on the ground, and if you're a Tauren, you probably need to declare "I come in peace" unless you want to be eaten.
I'm a cow. I always fear being eaten. *chuckles*

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's not really a "the lich king is only arthas now". Unless someone else takes Ner'Zhul's place, there is no Lich King. There is no Scourge. Ner'Zhul never made the pact with Kil'jaeden. Unless someone takes his place, Warcraft 2 never happens, much less 3 and any of the stuff afterwards. I doubt they will go very far with the timeline, but if we go to Azeroth-2, Lordaeron isn't the Plaguelands, Dalaran is still on the ground, and if you're a Tauren, you probably need to declare "I come in peace" unless you want to be eaten.

I'm actually not talking about any timeline fuckery, I'm talking about the actual, pre-WoD timeline lich king. They explained Ner'Zhul away in that Arthas book with some token "and then Arthas' will overpowered Ner'Zhul and now Ner'Zhul is gone" nonsense.

shittt, you guys are gettin into heavy spoiler territory without tags.

Anyway, got my heroic cleaver :p, trying to break that 30k damage barrier.

Can't wait for foundry. Also master plan is ez mode.

ampere

I mean, I would prefer he had actual, reasonable character development instead of "lol the lich king is only arthas now" and an expedient "I am now totally evil and must be killed" introduction in WoD, but it is what it is. Blizzard clearly isn't interested in going anywhere with the character in either timeline.

Nah I mean he was only the Warchief of the Horde turned Lich King in our timeline, why waste precious time using him when there are boring characters like Grommash?

I totally get that they want to emphasize how different this timeline is, but Ner'zhul dieing in a 5 person dungeon is a fucking travesty.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Nah I mean he was only the Warchief of the Horde turned Lich King in our timeline, why waste precious time using him when there are boring characters like Grommash?

I totally get that they want to emphasize how different this timeline is, but Ner'zhul dieing in a 5 person dungeon is a fucking travesty.

It is, but I think blizzard is done with any lich king storyline for the time being. They can always open up a new alternate timeline I guess.

Thanks timeless isle.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Got to 6/7 HC today. Hope to kill Imperator on heroic this week.

For those who defeated him besides normal, is he tougher on heroic than normal?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm done with Ashran which removes any hope I have of capping conquest. Last week or so the queues have been atrocious and when you do get in there are under 10 players in the main group. Not even worth going. It's ridiculous blocking content for players for the sake of the other faction when that other faction can't even be assed queuing... It's a joke.

RPGCrazied

So I tried the new SSAA 2x on the PTR, my gosh it looks awesome, but absolutely destroys my framerate. I could be at 40fps, then 12fps when I try and use that AA. I can use MSAA 8x easily enough, but it doesn't look as good as SSAA. :( Guess I need a better video card.

They could kill LFR tomorrow if they did 2 things:
  • Stop dropping Abrogator Stones/Augment Runes
  • Make Normal/Heroic raids Personal loot ONLY

Afraid not -- still doesn't address the desire to join a random group and not have the RL set arbitrary conditions like having certain achievements, or thinking your class isn't up to snuff, or an absurd ilvl.

I'm curious to see if tier gear can be obtained via follower missions. I'm bummed that the LFR release is so delayed, it is beyond my March 2nd account end date. Ah, well.

cdyhybrid

So I tried the new SSAA 2x on the PTR, my gosh it looks awesome, but absolutely destroys my framerate. I could be at 40fps, then 12fps when I try and use that AA. I can use MSAA 8x easily enough, but it doesn't look as good as SSAA. :( Guess I need a better video card.

What card are you running?

I am pretty bored to harvest more tress for the lumberjack building, is there any other building to get garrison resources?

Which garrison missions you need? The follower missions that give highmaul lvl loot require high ilvl followers. The garrison attack quests usually need you to do those dailies and once a faction "hates you enough" you'll get the quest. :p

The ones the mana npc gives you, I think.

I am pretty bored to harvest more tress for the lumberjack building, is there any other building to get garrison resources?.

Trading post. Every day the trading post accepts a different material (herbs, ore, dust, etc) to make word orders that net you garrison resources. Also gives you an auctioneer, though that quest seems to either take forever, or cost a fortune.

RPGCrazied

I think you can get away with a GTX 750Ti on that.

K, thanks. I tinkered with some settings, and was able to increase res to 2048x1536 and use MSAA 4x, sure, doesn't look as good as SSAA, but don't look half bad either. I still get to 15fps like deep in the spires of arak, which I can understand. Its a dense zone.

JSoup

Banned
Afraid not -- still doesn't address the desire to join a random group and not have the RL set arbitrary conditions like having certain achievements, or thinking your class isn't up to snuff, or an absurd ilvl.

It also doesn't solve the problem of dealing with a generally hostile community. If I had the choice between finding a random group with a twitchy leader who reaches for the kick button anytime someone falls .2 DPS behind and an automated system that actually takes a coordinated effort for the same guy to kick over the same thing, I'll go with the automated system.

The system is LFR, if that wasn't clear. I'm of the opinion that LFR shouldn't be it's own difficulty, just default to Normal and let the masses deal with it. If the raid is tooled correctly, it should still take an effort, just not a herculean one. Boom, casual players and higher are happy.

Carried about 5 people tonight in heroic Highmaul for extra loot. One shot 6/7 (although our Ko'ragh kill was ugly as hell) and then removed them before Imperator. Somehow one shot heroic Imperator for just our second kill. Won heroic warforged shoulder from Butcher (rolled them but the same ones dropped from him as well which I would have gotten) and chest from Imperator.

DarkJC

There's a simple solution to the problem of shitty PUG leaders: start your own. With the built in group finder it's easier than ever, and you can run the group how you like it with whatever rules you prefer. Problem solved.

They've tried making LFR require even a tiny bit of group coordination, and it's painful.

Touchdown

Banned
This is the time when WoW becomes really intimidating for casual players.

If anyone is interested, my guild is recruiting on Proudmoore, and we have a casual and progression group and have fun in both each week doing highmaul. Casual players are invited!! Just need ilvl635+ for our normal highmaul run. PM me if interested. :p

Atlantis

Carried about 5 people tonight in heroic Highmaul for extra loot. One shot 6/7 (although our Ko'ragh kill was ugly as hell) and then removed them before Imperator. Somehow one shot heroic Imperator for just our second kill. Won heroic warforged shoulder from Butcher (rolled them but the same ones dropped from him as well which I would have gotten) and chest from Imperator.

My guild does this as well. Not for extra loot, but it's how we observe new/potential recruits.

We've yet to kill Imperator, attempts are tomorrow. I'm hoping to the release date of BRF being confirmed helps kick everyone into gear. A few of our healers seem to be the weak point right now and I've tried to do research to see if there's ways for them to approve. I've found some things, but I'm worried saying anything will just end up pissing people off.

Touchdown

Banned
My guild does this as well. Not for extra loot, but it's how we observe new/potential recruits.

We've yet to kill Imperator, attempts are tomorrow. I'm hoping to the release date of BRF being confirmed helps kick everyone into gear. A few of our healers seem to be the weak point right now and I've tried to do research to see if there's ways for them to approve. I've found some things, but I'm worried saying anything will just end up pissing people off.

Atlantis what class are your healers? We were just able to down him finally and we used 2 resto druids, 1 holy priest, and 1 holy pally with a group of 16 total.

Lanrutcon

This is the time when WoW becomes really intimidating for casual players.

Yup. I'm actually not sure what casual players are meant to do in WoD at the moment. I feel for them.

The fire is really brutal >200ms D:

Bullshit.

I play at 270 to 350 ms and I can dance around that fire like a goddamn pro at this point. It's just practice, zooming out to the max, environmental awareness and (if possible) any kind of movement speed buff your class can provide. I'm a Warlock. I set myself on fire to outrun the fire.

That's real dedication, mister.

Man Mythic Twins is handing the asses to our guild. People keep standing in shit, or Pol gets aimed the wrong way, it's tough.

We only put a little under an hour into him last week. Plan on putting much more time into him today and possibly Monday. Also for anyone curious how healers for heroic Imperator tonight were 2 Mistweaver Monks, a Disc Priest, a Holy Pally, and a Resto Shaman (who's normally Elemental). Also 2 Mages (me being one of them) with Amplify Magic. Had 19 this week.

Carcetti

Yup. I'm actually not sure what casual players are meant to do in WoD at the moment. I feel for them.

I used to be hc but turned casual, just don't have time for several nights of 4 hour raiding per week.

I've noticed that this is the most casual-friendly expansion to level alts. The grind from 90-100 is really fast and enjoyable, plus then you get to farm gear doing garrison missions. I've done exactly one night of raiding and I've got ilevel 647 (those 630 trinks bringing it down) on my main and 2 alts going along fast with minimal effort.

JSoup

Banned
I'm one of those guys that actually really enjoys archaeology. I could think of a few ways to improve it, or at least change the type of grind it is, but I'm good if everything stays as is.

That is until two of my spawn points get stuck in two different problem child areas for squishy mages like me.

At least there is an item to randomize the spots, but it takes exalted with the Arakkoa. :/

Robin64

Kinda wondering what the big thing about 6.1 is besides the new AA options and the Heirloom tab. Those are nice, but they aren't content.

Just compared to 5.1, which was also a non-raid patch, it seems really lacking in things to do. I'm not sure it's going to help stop casual players getting bored still.

Kinda wondering what the big thing about 6.1 is besides the new AA options and the Heirloom tab. Those are nice, but they aren't content.

Just compared to 5.1, which was also a non-raid patch, it seems really lacking in things to do. I'm not sure it's going to help stop casual players getting bored still.

I brought this up with someone tonight. He assumed Blackrock Foundry was 6.1. If 6.1 is as empty as it seems, I can see subscriber numbers dropping hard between the lack of new content and The Elder Scrolls Online assumedly going free-to-play (which I'm going to try out).

Managed to find Gorok spawned, assemble a group through the finder and get 40 people the mount two nights ago, then last night found groups advertising spawns of both Silthide and Nakk within ten minutes of each other, so I only have Pathrunner to go (and apparently that has the shortest respawn timer).

One more mount to go for the 250 achievement! And I have two more I'll have by next week at the latest.

I brought this up with someone tonight. He assumed Blackrock Foundry was 6.1. If 6.1 is as empty as it seems, I can see subscriber numbers dropping hard between the lack of new content and The Elder Scrolls Online assumedly going free-to-play (which I'm going to try out).

I doubt ESO going F2P would effect anyone.

That said a lot of my friends that came back for WoD are already leaving, there's just not much to do.

Atlantis

Atlantis what class are your healers? We were just able to down him finally and we used 2 resto druids, 1 holy priest, and 1 holy pally with a group of 16 total.

We have a Resto Druid (me), Mistweaver Monk, Holy Priest, and a Discipline Priest. Our last raid was our first raid with the Discipline Priest, which was clearing the instance and one attempt on Imperator. We also have a geared Restoration Shaman, but he's Enhancement more than not as we recruit more healers since he has the most shaky attendance.

We'd kill for a Holy Paladin. The two Priests are where I think we can make some improvements, even simple things like having enchants (!) or switching glyphs.

cdyhybrid

Gorok get! Just need Silthide now.

I'd really like to level alts, but the long slog of building up your garrison just seems like such a drag. Maybe once they make the changes they hinted at to make them more alt-friendly =\

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah, 6.1 is sizing up to be a let down if that's all it is.

hobart

I'm not understanding the backlash behind 6.1. Blizz confirmed that 6.1 and BRF are not necessarily unified. I'm reading a post right now off of MMOChamp that shows blue noting BRF's raid schedule. New content is coming in 3 weeks. Works for me.

via MMO-Champ

Mupod

Man Mythic Twins is handing the asses to our guild. People keep standing in shit, or Pol gets aimed the wrong way, it's tough.

Our problem is that we can't field 20 people in Mythic yet and our pugs conveniently vanish once the loot pinata is dead. And now I'm remembering what a pain in the ass recruitment was. One of our applicants has never shown up, and one is an obnoxious lootwhore. It was funny seeing him lose his shit about a priest rolling on Imperator's staff though.

Twins seem quite beatable and I've already got the fight pretty much down. I have to play a dumb stellar flare spec but I'm way ahead of all the other casters. We just need to get people who will stay for more than 3-4 wipes. I think my guild still has some 'brand recognition' left over from our dominance in vanilla/BC but players nowadays are a lot flakier in general, so I'm unsure what kind of people we can pull in. We're hoping to get some more solid attempts in on Monday at least.

hobart

There's no content coming in 6.1. The only thing appears to be some dailies around the Iron Docks area. Nothing else.

But the new raid comes in 3 weeks.

Would people have been happier if they were released together? I really don't understand.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Still a little disappointing that Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry didn't release at the same time. All other expansions had a least 2 at launch unless i'm mistaken with MoP.

M.D

What are some good raids to farm gold? It seems it would be an easy way to make gold if I just pick up and sell all the loot, plus all the gold from bosses, trash

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
first take on Normal Imperator last night. Such a fucking "don't stand in the fire check". I REALLY think I need to change my UI. I am sitting there staring at the screen. Granted I am still learning how to play my Demo lock.. but it just seems like so much on the screen is white noise to me.. I think part of it does come down to it being our first attempts.. and looking at warcraftlogs (which were embarrassing, especially for me) I can see now a lot of the stupid shit I was missing. I don't know.. just feeling really frustrated.. between poor DPS from learning the spec to poor performance in stepping on shit (or not moving out of the way)...

fuck....

half of me just wants to say fuck it.. gear my spriest up to 650 and main him again.. but the thought of shelving a perfectly good character seems defeatist to me... I don't know.

Top Bottom