• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Mordeccai

Yeah it's the warmill. I'm sitting at 7K garrison resources and the only thing I can pump them into is the war mill and mats to sell on the AH from the trading post. It's a shame leather prices have dropped so much on my server, I was making good money converting resources that way.

ZenaxPure

Yeah it's the warmill. I'm sitting at 7K garrison resources and the only thing I can pump them into is the war mill and mats to sell on the AH from the trading post. It's a shame leather prices have dropped so much on my server, I was making good money converting resources that way.

Those level 3 barns man, I had to buy leather on the AH every day to keep my work orders/daily cooldown going but a few days after capturing nagrand elites I had more leather than I could ever use. I think I have about 1000 in the bank right now. For a while I just stopped and started going with the Hippos instead, but, I don't think I personally need more than 5 stacks of feasts so.....

It's been pretty great though because I just use LW heroism drums all the time now for random shit, I have enough leather to craft hundreds.

Solo normal Iron docks or have a bunker.

War Mill work orders.

War Mill work orders.

I guess I have to spend my resources in orders then.

Tailoring is really screwed too, I made the mount in hope of selling it, it blinded .....

Check to made the pet fot pet battling, it does nothing.

Mordeccai

It's been pretty great though because I just use LW heroism drums all the time now for random shit, I have enough leather to craft hundreds.

I know a guy who binds his hearthstone to either drums or his time warp cool down with a macro. He refuses to hearth without lust :lol.

He did it in a pug one time and everyone started freaking out "WHO LUSTED OMG".

Yeah, I feel like professions are in a really bad place right now. Dunno why blizz decided to take them in this direction. I used to enjoy crafting but now it's just tedious and has no pay off.

M.D

i don't know why random raiding groups have so many awful people compared to dungeons where everyone seems to be real nice for the most part

I join some group to do normal imp, we do well until third phase mark on the tank where almost everyone forget to move and died, after that some people leave and a hunter joins

We try again and I die relatively early because of someone's else mistake and we get wiped pretty early on, then this hunter starts to give orders to the group leader saying to kick everyone with low dps, and of course I get the kick even tho someone mentioned I died early because of someone's else mistake

What's funny is the group leader printed out the dps chart after the first try and I was like fourth on the list

Oh, this hunter was also asking "everyone 20k+ dps?" when he first came in, and wasn't even doing 20k dps

I wouldn't even be upset if it wasn't for freaking repair costs

Dysun

Mythic Brackenspore wipes approaching 50, can't get it past 60% reliably. Tanks getting wrecked by the Flesh Eaters because they stay up too long and Spore Shooters also not getting taken down timely enough. Bummer all around, can't wait for BRF to do something new

ampere

Check to made the pet fot pet battling, it does nothing.

It might "do nothing", but it is needed for two achievements, so they might sell alright. One achievement to get it to level 25 and another to beat a bunch of pet trainers with that stuffed animal taking up one of your pet spots.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know a guy who binds his hearthstone to either drums or his time warp cool down with a macro. He refuses to hearth without lust :lol.

He did it in a pug one time and everyone started freaking out "WHO LUSTED OMG".

Yeah, I feel like professions are in a really bad place right now. Dunno why blizz decided to take them in this direction. I used to enjoy crafting but now it's just tedious and has no pay off.

There doesn't seem to be any point to max your profession anymore too. You can craft epics without needing to be at 700, so what's the point to get there once you have your epics?

DarkJC

There doesn't seem to be any point to max your profession anymore too. You can craft epics without needing to be at 700, so what's the point to get there once you have your epics?

The only benefit is that at 700 you get more of your daily cooldown item per day. For example I only have tailoring at 630 right now, and I get 6 cloth from the cooldown. My friend at 700 gets 10 cloth per cooldown. Anything below 600 is 4 cloth per cooldown.

Exciting, I know.

idlewild_

I think the average player made more off of professions this expansion than previous ones, just the players who were bigger into professions got screwed by not being able to constantly make items. Many of the 640 items still sell for 4-5k and only cost ~300g and 1 minute a day for a week to produce if you have the L2 profession building + a follower. I would avoid the upgrade tokens for everything but inscription as you can generally make more by offering to craft the 630/640 items to people in trade chat.

The only primary profession that I would say got screwed is alchemy, and that's because of the hotfix to potion costs. Prior to the change to potion mats you could rake in a fortune by having multiple alts with L2 garrison unlocked spending all their resources on the trading post.

There are actually a few profession items that don't have cooldowns that sell decently well and have cheap material costs, though I think I'll keep them to myself until more people figure them out. To give you an idea, I'm talking about 3-5k profit per day for under 5 minutes of work.

Atlantis

The scaling factors on imp are such that you might have an easier time by just pugging in an extra 5 healers and brute forcing the fight instead of dropping down to 10 competent people. That's what pugs were doing recently, going in with like 12 healers and killing the boss in 15 minutes.

Pugging in healers would probably feel just as shitty as cutting the raid. Though I'll keep that strategy in mind, since we do have another healer we could add.

I'm pretty confident that our current raid can manage it though, progress was made even though we didn't kill him. I think without the D/C and add on issues he probably would've died. Not just because it was causing mistakes, but it also took up a lot of time between attempts.

ZenaxPure

The only primary profession that I would say got screwed is alchemy, and that's because of the hotfix to potion costs. Prior to the change to potion mats you could rake in a fortune by having multiple alts with L2 garrison unlocked spending all their resources on the trading post.

It fell so hard, was selling my potions for around 2k a stack, now they're like... 20g or something. I was actually doing all the fishing myself as well, worked out for Lunker stuff since I could make tons of gold at the same time. Oh well, RIP.

I should probably sell some flasks, have like 400 or so catalysts and a ton of herbs.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
alchemy sucks... tell me about it...

alchemical catalyst... more than I can ever friggin use.. I am at the point where I am more or less making them just because I have nothing else to do with frostweed than anything (I suppose more inks for my scribe is something...)

consumables.... flasks are going for like 6-12g each... and so far I can't even find a reason to list 20 on the AH.. I tried and they sit with just the ones for a week of raiding go (stacks of 3 work well.. or singles). Potions are even worse going for like 2-6g each.

even worse for alchemy are the sorcerous mats. so I have enough herbs and catalysts to make a shitload of flasks.. probably 300 of most regular flasks. but once I do make them I have nowhere near enough sorcerous mats to make the greater potions.. and for me to buy more on the AH would almost GUARANTEED put me at a loss for what I'd get for the flasks.

not only that but herbs themselves are rarer than anything else. your garrison mine spits out a stupid amount of ore. the barn generates hilarious amounts of fur. but the herb garden struggles just to even hit 30 seeds a day (for a full day of work orders) and the number of spawn in the garden are pathetic.. especially given there are two types of ore, but like 5-6 types of herbs (can't be bothered to figure the number at this sec)

of course the herb problem also potentially affects scribes as well.. but at least scribes also have darkmoon cards and weapons to reliably make money off of (though removing DMF trinkets from the faire and DM rep sucks....

alchemist is seriously the second place bitch in this expansion (only behind mining... lol.....) I feel like a total chump for keeping it.. but at this point I don't really have anything else to switch to.. maybe a second tailor to make money on bags or equipment?

ZenaxPure

I dunno, as someone with all the professions (and have been keeping up with them since it only takes a few minutes a day) I actually think JC is worse off than alchemy in some ways. It just took me a week and a half to sell 2 rare gems, like I would even make sure to undercut every hour or so.... But no one gave a fuck.

Doesn't surprise me really though, I only have one gem socket on all of my gear, kinda crazy.

FYI if you have a guy working the herb garden you can tell an NPC there what kind of herb to grow so you get all one kind. Get something like 50-70 each day iirc.

But I'm hardly bothering with profession CDs at all anymore.

A) They're hardly worth anything in the first place, except maybe enchanting and JC.

B) I'm over gold cap anyway, so it's not that exciting anymore.

idlewild_

borghe

yeah... jc is screwed not because people don't want it... but people need it much less. that and (just like all other high end stuff this expansion) your super nice gems are so expensive that I'm holding off on them until gear that I plan on keeping.

I am fine with the concept of random sockets (hey I came from D3!!!!!!!), just wish stuff wasn't as stingy as it is now.. like give 1 socket much more frequently, and then allow 2 sockets VERY rarely.. just that alone would help JCs out considerably.

tl;dr JCs could be helped by just putting more sockets in the game. alchemy there is no easy fix. I guess maybe if they put something in for us to use all of our extra catalysts on. For reference, if I can get 12g for a flask, that is 12g per end game mat. Yet if I can get 5000 for an armor or trinket, that is 50g per end game mat.

TheYanger

oh shit, didn't get an email but I did a UPS tracking on my name and zip and I see a 7 pound box coming today. /excited. /watch it not be that.

FYI if you have a guy working the herb garden you can tell an NPC there what kind of herb to grow so you get all one kind. Get something like 50-70 each day iirc.

But I'm hardly bothering with profession CDs at all anymore.

A) They're hardly worth anything in the first place, except maybe enchanting and JC.

B) I'm over gold cap anyway, so it's not that exciting anymore.

I think that's just you being gold capped. I've met SO MANY people bitching about how things are expensive and they have no money this expansion....every profession except for mining/herbalism is a huge fucking gold maker. You just do your daily cooldown and sell the products, it's free money that you can use to get the other stuff you need. Even engineering, the worst by far since MC helms ruined the potential for that stuff to sell, I make plenty for basically nothing. most of the professions you'll make ~10,000 gold a week just selling your shit.

Ah, good, profession talk. First time WoW player starting with WoD, I have a few questions about a nearly lvl 60 I want to use the booster on and which professions would be best to level up for an Enchant Shaman.

I've made a few different toons, trying out different races and classes, initially I went for professions I thought would compliment the class I was playing; Enchanting and Tailoring, Skinning and Leather Working or Mining and Metal Working. While the resource gathering class was simple enough to upgrade the crafting classes became a royal pain in the ass to maintain. It took a lot of effort, time and money, especially leather working, and the payoff wasn't there. At least during the leveling experience.

With this Enchant Shaman I went with two resource gathering classes, Herbalism and Mining, purely to make cash on the Auction House. Since I was able to load my lvl 9 toon with all 14 slot bags once I completed an auction or two when it first hit Orgrimmar and have all the money I need for mounts and licenses, it's been totally worthwhile.

Initially I wasn't planning on using the booster, I wanted to get to 100 with my first toon on my own but I'm playing by myself and have been hitting a wall around 50 or 60. I've been searching for what profressions I should level up for an Enchant Shaman and engineering is one profession that keeps cropping up. But the guide I read on IcyVeins has Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. Enchanting I'm fine with since you get the resource gathering and crafting with that class but I'm leery of Jewelcrafting without Mining because then I'm relying on AH and Need/Greed dungeon drops for mats.

What professions would WoWGAF recommend I pick to max out with a booster for an Enchant Shaman?

idlewild_

I assume you mean enhancement? What is it that you want to do with your professions? None of the professions provide combat bonuses anymore, so any combination of professions will work for you, though I highly recommend avoiding the gathering professions as all of the base profession reagents can be bought for 1g/item or less.

If you want to outfit yourself without buying items then Leatherworking can provide you with high level armor pieces to wear. Similarly, Blacksmithing can make weapons for you and Jewelcrafting can make rings and necklaces for you. Remember though, you can only equip 3 epic crafted items at one time.

DarkJC

These are the restrictions on Starter Edition accounts:

Can't play expansion-restricted content (new continents, etc).
Can't exceed level 20, 10 gold, and 100 trade skill ranks.
Can't participate in Pet Battles.
Can't chat in channels other than say and party.
Can't whisper another character unless they add you to their friends list.
Can't create or join guilds, invite players into a party, or create calendar invitations.
Can't disable experience gains.
Can't trade, mail, or use the Auction House.
Can't use voice chat or Real ID.
Can't use value added services (character transfers, faction changes, etc).

So it sounds pretty limited. I'm assuming for any existing characters over any of these limits just won't be able to earn any more gold, xp, etc. while they aren't paying.

Oh yes, I meant Enhancement. Sorry. Professions just don't seem to be worth much of the time, effort and money you invest in them.

The low amount of gold gathering gets you on the AH has been worthwhile for my low level character. I've had more money than I know what to do with relative to the point I'm at in the game. I just don't know what to pick to boost once I hit 60. I guess skinning and leather working, since that will allow me to make Mail armor to fill in gaps that drops aren't.

Post pics of whatever they mail you guys by the way, for the 10 years players.

Edit: oh, statue on MMO-Champ. Cool. Still post pics of yours when you get one though!

TheYanger

a06v50p.jpg

:D:D:D

When Blizz wants to be, they're a super awesome company.

Robin64

How is this not just a trial account? Other than the obvious fact that you can be a lapsed subscriber.

The Veteran Account has one difference, and that's that you can join a guild if you already have other characters in that guild.

After waiting years for a F2P/price drop/different pricing model, I decided to try the starter version. Hearthstone got me curious

Not liking the melee combat as a Pandaren, as I need to be right on the enemy. I was hoping clicking would auto-walk me to my target. But I'll tinker around with the controls.

I wish I could pay for this, but a sub model is still steep for me. Maybe I'll get sucked in, I dont know. I'm thinking I may jump aboard if I can get my career going and have some money to spend.

TheYanger

How is this not just a trial account? Other than the obvious fact that you can be a lapsed subscriber.

They even said the veteran thing was not a major denomination of account, it IS just a trial account - this is simply the string they call it internally since the system sees them as different. It's just to solve that new players could indefinitely play low level content and people that ever played the game couldnt'.

After waiting years for a F2P/price drop/different pricing model, I decided to try the starter version. Hearthstone got me curious

Not liking the melee combat as a Pandaren, as I need to be right on the enemy. I was hoping clicking would auto-walk me to my target. But I'll tinker around with the controls.

I wish I could pay for this, but a sub model is still steep for me. Maybe I'll get sucked in, I dont know. I'm thinking I may jump aboard if I can get my career going and have some money to spend.

Yeah there is an option for click to move, they might have taken it out, but it's HORRIBLE. The game is designed 100% to be played like FPS/TPS controls. Hold right click and you can control just like any shooter basically, aside from hotkeys for abilities. If you want to be able to be mobile while you play, play a melee character or a hunter, if you want to try and plant and just press buttons more a caster is probably in order.

Also, if right clicking is annoying, you can just walk up to something as a melee toon and hit an attack button, it'll start autoattacking automatically. You can use tab to swap between targets (I personally don't, but it's pretty standard MMO functionality) if you don't want to click on them either.

They even said the veteran thing was not a major denomination of account, it IS just a trial account - this is simply the string they call it internally since the system sees them as different. It's just to solve that new players could indefinitely play low level content and people that ever played the game couldnt'.

Yeah there is an option for click to move, they might have taken it out, but it's HORRIBLE. The game is designed 100% to be played like FPS/TPS controls. Hold right click and you can control just like any shooter basically, aside from hotkeys for abilities. If you want to be able to be mobile while you play, play a melee character or a hunter, if you want to try and plant and just press buttons more a caster is probably in order.

Also, if right clicking is annoying, you can just walk up to something as a melee toon and hit an attack button, it'll start autoattacking automatically. You can use tab to swap between targets (I personally don't, but it's pretty standard MMO functionality) if you don't want to click on them either.

Can I play some long range character that auto-shoots enemies by clicking?

Also, is there any chance that this game gets different pricing models? I'd pay like $60 upfront for a "full" game with other content hidden behind extra paywalls.

The game being as old as it is, I was wondering if there was news or rumours of any new changes to the pricing, or if even a "WoW2" is coming. Is this game going to go on for another generation? It's pretty impressive to say the least.

TheYanger

Can I play some long range character that auto-shoots enemies by clicking?

Also, is there any chance that this game gets different pricing models? I'd pay like $60 upfront for a "full" game with other content hidden behind extra paywalls.

The game being as old as it is, I was wondering if there was news or rumours of any new changes to the pricing, or if even a "WoW2" is coming. Is this game going to go on for another generation? It's pretty impressive to say the least.

Hunters autoattack by clicking, but autoattacks are simply not something you do in terms of like, clicking on a mob every time you want to shoot. Simply not that kind of game. Yuor autoattacks happen automatically once it's turned on, and then your abilities (the hotkeys on the bottom) are what you actually use to play the game.

Finally managed to get my Curve achievement, had to use FakeAchievement to actually get into a group that had any chance of killing him but it was worth it.

cdyhybrid

PSA:

Please mention loot rules in the group title/description if you're leading a group listed in the Group Finder.

I'd like to know that you want to be carried and ninja the loot before I apply, instead of wasting the 30 seconds to join and leave.

borghe

it is a trial account. they even said so. they're basic logic was stated right in the blue post: basically "if you've never played wow before, you can start up a starter edition account and play as much as you want*, but if you already made an account, you can never play again without paying. This isn't right."

So yes, it is a trial account. The point was that you could play a trial account forever (with major restrictions) but once that account became legit, you could never play it again without paying. Now you can under the same restrictions.

PSA:

Please mention loot rules in the group title/description if you're leading a group listed in the Group Finder.

I'd like to know that you want to be carried and ninja the loot before I apply, instead of wasting the 30 seconds to join and leave.

umm.. no offense, but if the loot rules aren't in the description, I'll ask immediately. If I see something to the contrary of what I've been told.. I'll strongly consider leaving.

Though mostly I just won't go unless it's personal loot. Master looter gets you like one more piece, and infinite more drama.. fuck that.

Renekton

They are supposedly implementing various time-for-gold and other EVE-like transactions.

It seems they resigned to fitting whatever ideas they had from WoW2/Overwatch preproduction and PoC into original WoW.

cdyhybrid

umm.. no offense, but if the loot rules aren't in the description, I'll ask immediately. If I see something to the contrary of what I've been told.. I'll strongly consider leaving.

Though mostly I just won't go unless it's personal loot. Master looter gets you like one more piece, and infinite more drama.. fuck that.

...That's what I'm saying.

Put the loot rules in the description so I don't waste my time joining only to find out you're using Master Loot.

Mordeccai

Yeah I just pugged H Bracken and had the shoulderpads for my druid finally drop. I was the highest HPS healer in that group including their guilds heals.

It appeared I was the only one to roll on the shoulder pads so I got pretty excited. Raid lead did a count down and.... gave the loot to a guild member. I questioned him and asked why my roll didn't count.

He stated that guildies get loot preference over pugs, and they used his losing roll of 88 on the other item to carry over to the shoulders as well, but thanks for the help. Shit was infuriating. Only joining groups with personal loot now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I just pugged H Bracken and had the shoulderpads for my druid finally drop. I was the highest HPS healer in that group including their guilds heals.

It appeared I was the only one to roll on the shoulder pads so I got pretty excited. Raid lead did a count down and.... gave the loot to a guild member. I questioned him and asked why my roll didn't count.

He stated that guildies get loot preference over pugs, and they used his losing roll of 88 on the other item to carry over to the shoulders as well, but thanks for the help. Shit was infuriating. Only joining groups with personal loot now.

That's utter bullshit.

Top Bottom