• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

JSoup

Banned
Downside, the heirloom tab appears to now include the Garrosh looms. Not sure if I like since I'd be missing the offhand book. They might add a way to get them again eventually if they're going in the tab like that. Wonder if the new way it works means I can get duplicate Garrosh daggers after owning only one.

I assumed it would display like the current toy and mount tabs do. That is, it'll only display items you don't have if they are still obtainable in some fashion.

Robin64

I assumed it would display like the current toy and mount tabs do. That is, it'll only display items you don't have if they are still obtainable in some fashion.

I think this is the case. I don't recall seeing the Garrosh weapons in my tab on the PTR, but I did see all the other stuff, telling me where I can get it.

Mordeccai

Mythic highmaul cache mission failed at 91%. Was the highest I could get it, spent five days upgrading followers and used three follower rerolls for that shit. Sub expires tomorrow, fuck it. It's petty but that's the straw that breaks the camels back lol.

Doesn't help that my 653 frost DK can't get into a heroic group to save his life, I have six seals banked because when ever i have time to play I can't find a pug group for anything but Kargath. I was having fun with this xpac, but the game blows for casual play right now and content is stale.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Mythic highmaul cache mission failed at 91%. Was the highest I could get it, spent five days upgrading followers and used three follower rerolls for that shit. Sub expires tomorrow, fuck it. It's petty but that's the straw that breaks the camels back lol.

Doesn't help that my 653 frost DK can't get into a heroic group to save his life, I have six seals banked because when ever i have time to play I can't find a pug group for anything but Kargath. I was having fun with this xpac, but the game blows for casual play right now and content is stale.

I've actually heard of people ticketing 90+ cache fails and being given the cache.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I haven't been even been getting Highmaul cache's for the past two weeks. I dunno what's up.

StMeph

653 is on the low end now for Heroics, even if it does meet the requirements for the raid, just because there are so many DPS trying to get in. A higher ilevel will generally be taken before you, and DKs don't offer any additional raid utility to warrant the spot over someone else in that situation.

It's easier to join fresh runs on Kargath and see how far they can go, especially if you can't hop around on bosses like you want.

StMeph

I've actually heard of people ticketing 90+ cache fails and being given the cache.

That's... kind of ridiculous. So I should send a ticket for /rolling badly against others in ML, or only getting gold from bonus rolls?

I haven't been even been getting Highmaul cache's for the past two weeks. I dunno what's up.

Shows up once every 2 weeks. Not a weekly mission.

I just got a mission for another one today, after getting one just last week I think. Dunno.

This mission for the tablet fragments on the next step of the legendary quest is pissing me off though. Best I can get is 85%. Just don't have the right combination of follower traits for it. Rerolled a guy 3 times too hoping to get better traits but no dice.

vocab

Yay a mythic item I can use. 100 percent cache with 1000 gold. My team is pretty much as good as its gonna get. Have two or more of every trait with a lot of good non profession traits. Almost 680. Tonight is tectus. We suck so I doubt will kill it.

Krassus

@Mythic Raiders - How do you find guilds in this game recruiting? More specifically were looking for a 2 day a week Mythic guild (more is fine for early prog)

We don't mind faction changing or xferring but are new to WoW so I am not sure how to proceed. The forum crew we were running with is pretty bad and are looking to move before BRF. We found one guild and have friends in it but I wanted to see what options there is.

cdyhybrid

@Mythic Raiders - How do you find guilds in this game recruiting? More specifically were looking for a 2 day a week Mythic guild (more is fine for early prog)

We don't mind faction changing or xferring but are new to WoW so I am not sure how to proceed. The forum crew we were running with is pretty bad and are looking to move before BRF. We found one guild and have friends in it but I wanted to see what options there is.

http://www.wowprogress.com/

Finally found a group to run heroic HMs with and they're cool and everything but...

Master fucking Loot.

I'll take what I can get but going 5/7 in one night and watching a boomkin sidegrade his existing 670s with another pair of 670s while I languish in 645s is a bit harsh :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think most heroic groups are ML, people only leave personal on for normal it seems.

Adaren

Finally found a group to run heroic HMs with and they're cool and everything but...

Master fucking Loot.

I'll take what I can get but going 5/7 in one night and watching a boomkin sidegrade his existing 670s with another pair of 670s while I languish in 645s is a bit harsh :(

If they're cool (and especially if you plan on running with them again), you could probably ask the other player to pass to you. Especially if you haven't gotten any loot yet.

Mordeccai

653 is on the low end now for Heroics, even if it does meet the requirements for the raid, just because there are so many DPS trying to get in. A higher ilevel will generally be taken before you, and DKs don't offer any additional raid utility to warrant the spot over someone else in that situation.

It's easier to join fresh runs on Kargath and see how far they can go, especially if you can't hop around on bosses like you want.

What is frustrating is that my DPS is often better than the higher ilvl people though. I'm sitting at 24k on most bosses but butcher which goes down to 22K. Not uncommon for me to see people cruising by at 20k. It's not a good metric to go by, and I can't get loot to improve my gear score or my DPS if I can't get into groups. It's like hitting a wall with no options to get around it.

Who brings raid utility, by that line of logic? Not warriors unless they are tanking. Not rogues. Not MW monks. Seems like that only leaves you with bloodlust classes and DPS topping classes like ret.

Adaren

What is frustrating is that my DPS is often better than the higher ilvl people though. I'm sitting at 24k on most bosses but butcher which goes down to 22K. It's not a good metric to go by, and I can't get loot to improve my gear score or my DPS if I can't get into groups. It's like hitting a wall with no options to get around it.

I haven't followed all of your posts, but is there a reason you don't/didn't join a guild?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
EJ was the best.

Used to go there for Warlock stuff :(

For those of us that took a long break, what happened to EJ? I did notice that a lot of the specs/classes are stale, but did folks just quit the game or was there some sort of schism?

Mordeccai

I agree, it is pretty difficult. At this point your best option is to get all the 655 gear you can from normals, upgrade your ring, and upgrade a few craft pieces. Perhaps pick up a BoE or two.

I think DKs have a valuable battle res, but I also notice they are very popular classes.

Your other option, of course, is to join a H HM guild and clear with them. Or, form your own group if you can.

It looks like I am stuck getting every single piece of 655 gear possible before upgrading to heroic. I've been trying for a trinket and pants upgrade in there for a couple weeks to no avail. Already have a max upgraded necklace and belt and a BoE cloak :/

I haven't followed all of your posts, but is there a reason you don't/didn't join a guild?

I left the guild I was in a couple weeks ago because they wouldn't let me out of their normal HM group. Had been raiding with them for a month and they still stuck me in the norm group and wouldn't promote me. Figured I could just more successfully pug my way into a higher ilvl with at least the shot of getting into heroic, I guessed wrong apparently lol.

Content is not fun enough at the moment, gonna drop my sub. Mythic is not worth the trouble considering its just a glorified Diablo 3 torment level.

Maybe when there's more content again, but as of right now the game is stale as fuck.

ampere

Who brings raid utility, by that line of logic? Not warriors unless they are tanking. Not rogues. Not MW monks. Seems like that only leaves you with bloodlust classes and DPS topping classes like ret.

Arms/Fury Warriors bring Rallying Cry, Rogues bring Smoke Bomb, WW Monks bring 10% movement speed aura

A lot of classes have little bits of utility they can bring, but that doesn't mean you'll get a raid spot. Depends a lot on the group

For those of us that took a long break, what happened to EJ? I did notice that a lot of the specs/classes are stale, but did folks just quit the game or was there some sort of schism?

The EJ website is basically the guild website and forum for a guild on Mal'ganis. They still raid, but the forums are much less active. I don't know how it became such a theorycrafting hub, but most of that is on other websites now. Fluiddruid is big for druids, H2P for priests, probably some other class specific ones exist, but mmochampion's forums have a lot of theorycrafters/class experts too.

Bisonian

Sorry for the drive-by post, but is it acceptable to post guild recruitment in here? There are some people in the last few hours that seem like they may fit what we are looking for. If it's obnoxious or cluttering this space I'll edit this out and be on my way. Thanks.

ampere

Sorry for the drive-by post, but is it acceptable to post guild recruitment in here? There are some people in the last few hours that seem like they may fit what we are looking for. If it's obnoxious or cluttering this space I'll edit this out and be on my way. Thanks.

I think it's fine if you aren't spammy or obnoxious about it.

Now that the honeymoon is over, how would WoD rank in the annals of WoW expansions?

It's very good in some areas and incomplete in others. Raiding and dungeon content is well done and a lot of fun. Garrisons are neat, but get a bit repetitive. Crafting is generally bad, and some of the tuning/changes they have made so far reek of alpha/beta level stuff. It feels like the expac was a bit rushed.

Overall, enjoyable so far, not the best expac but up there.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Now that the honeymoon is over, how would WoD rank in the annals of WoW expansions?

It's a great leveling experience, and the treasures and rares hunting is nice, but once you're done with all that... all you have left is Highmaul, rep and apexis crystal farming + garrison missions(which is just a few clicks to do). Heroics are a good challenge compared to MoP, but aren't worth doing once you outgear them and are done with the Garrison Inn's quests.

Anoregon

Above Mists, below Cata.

I fall into the mainstream opinion that Cata is overall the worst expansion (for end-game content at least, the 1-60 revamp was good and much needed) so I don't necessarily agree with that.

I'd say WoD is about on par with Mists (which was quite good), but will probably end up better by the end of the patch cycle. If we are comparing 5.0 vs 6.0, I'd probably give the edge to Draenor.

Wrath remains my favorite expansion, and I have very fond memories of BC even though I could absolutely not go back and play that state of the game now, mechanics-wise.

The 90-100 leveling experience is really great. They left a lot of things to discover in the world and the zones are massive. Removing flying was a terrific decision.
The solo level 100 experience is awful, the worst the game has ever offered. Garrisons are literally a mobile app you pay a subscription to play. Professions are bafflingly useless. They didn't add anything interesting to the single-player casual pastimes they introduced in Cataclysm (Archaeology) or Mists (Pet Battling). Some single-player level 100 content is entirely recycled old content from previous expansions (Brawler's Guild). Cities are barren.
The new PvP experience is half-baked, but I don't pvp much so I don't feel like I have a complete picture on how fun it is for the pvp diehards.
5-man content is all right, but you very quickly outgrow it as has been the case since at least Cataclysm. They made an effort to make people retain an interest in 5-man content but it's kind of thin.
The first raid instance is probably the only part of WoW I enjoy on my max level characters. Without it I'd have canceled sub a long time ago.

Wrath is still the best expansion by a long shot. WoD is so far slightly worse for me than Mists was, mostly because there isn't a new race or player class to get excited about. Then the rest of the expansions kind of sit in a rusty pile in the corner for me.

vocab

I'd bring one or two dks to any raid. Not for battle res(any non blood dk worth his shit won't be wasting runic power or a glyph on it tbh that's a druids job.) but for death grips, and grasps. Very valuable. Sucks their aoe is nerfed, but a good dk needs to have all three specs now to be a valuable asset to the raid. Good job bliz. Assholes.

Draxal

I loved Wrath thematically, but it's early end game was just Naxx and OS which were both really easy other than 3 drakes, and really didn't add anything to the single player experience.

As for Wod, the garrison is fun enough on a main character but when you add alts it becomes a chore.

The Apexis crystal design is mindboggingly stupid for me as they got rid of valor points for being stupid for the game and just reintroduced it again as apexis crystals.

I think I'd go MoP (really ambitious and changed endgame) > WoD/LK > Cata.

I'm not going to include BC as I think that expansion did alot to help the game but did alot to damage the game as well so I really don't know how to rate it.

It's probably a small miracle that given their moderation rules they maintained as strong a core of theorycrafters as they did for this long. The guild is still active in Mythic raiding.

Robin64

Wow, so one of things you can spend garrison resources on in 6.1 is an item which triggers a daily to do another apexis assault, on top of the one you already get.

Fuck yeah, content!

In terms of my enjoyment and giving stuff to do at max level I think WoD might be my least favorite expansion.

I only do PVE and while I've done some raiding over the years, both pugs and guild, I've largely been focused on solo stuff. This expansion is severely lacking there and what is there is more tedious than before. Reputation being mindless grinds now is insane. Having essentially no dailies sucks. It's an overcorrection after people complained about the dailies in MoP. I actually enjoy dailies but I understand people wanted to do less of them and not having to rely on doing them to be able to get gear or profession recipes.

This expansion has almost completely just been a way for me to up my stats so I can plow through more older content.

The things I like best are all user experience related: Toy collection and LFG finder. Those are both things that aren't exactly big "Check out the new WoW expansion!" sort of features, though. And the bit we know of 6.1 is not making me think it'll change my opinion of this expansion at all.

I do enjoy how exploring feels without flight, too. I hope going forward they design zones initially with no flight and then only add it when a new expansion comes along.

Robin64

On the plus side, it looks like the Dread Pirate Ring will finally be upgradeable in 6.1.

Downside, the heirloom tab appears to now include the Garrosh looms. Not sure if I like since I'd be missing the offhand book. They might add a way to get them again eventually if they're going in the tab like that. Wonder if the new way it works means I can get duplicate Garrosh daggers after owning only one.

So I just checked it out to have a proper play around with the system on the PTR and sure enough, the Garrosh stuff doesn't display if you don't have it. There are only four things that display and tell you how to get them if you don't have them.

Items from the new vendors, which are the old PvE and PvP stuff.
Items from the guild vendor.
Brawler's Claws.
Dread Pirate Ring.

Bisonian

So, I run a guild on Maiev (also includes Bloodscalp, Boulderfist, Dunemaul and Stonemaul servers) that has Kargath down a few times and is working on Mythic Twins. We have a group of guys who has been raiding together on and off since TBC, and we're currently sitting at a raid roster of around 21 raiders which makes it really difficult when people go on vacation or need a night off. That stability has slowed down our progress through Mythic. We raid Tues/Thurs 9p-mid eastern, and do some off night stuff on Wednesday (right now we run alts through Heroic Highmaul) that we will probably use for lesser important content when Blackrock Foundry comes out.

We are looking for 2-3 people who would like to come in and help us on Mythic content as we prepare for Blackrock. DPS would be fine and probably preferred, we might be able to make room for a healer on some nights, and would not be able to take on a tank. We really don't care about class at all, if you're good at what you play that's good enough for us. I've seen some of the talk on the last couple pages of this thread for example, and we have no active DK and would like to have one.

We're a laid back group almost entirely of full time working adults, with relatively little drama thanks to how long we've known each other. We do the best job we can to respect the time we are all investing into the game. We are pretty big into study logs and raiding practices in an attempt to help people get better at it rather than calling people out and shaming them. If the word "theorycrafting" makes your skin itch on the other hand, we are probably not the group for you.

If you are interested, drop me a private message here and we'll work out a plan to get you into heroic Highmaul next Tuesday. We clear it in a little under two hours and we are starting to shard more and more pieces so look at it as a way to bathe in some potential free loot. If there's a fit both ways, we'll see what we can do about helping you transfer. If you are good at what you do, we'll get you into Mythic runs going forward. Either way we'd like to get a roster squared away before Blackrock opens in a couple weeks.

Thanks for letting me spam the thread!

ZenaxPure

I think I'd go MoP (really ambitious and changed endgame) > WoD/LK > Cata.

I'm not going to include BC as I think that expansion did alot to help the game but did alot to damage the game as well so I really don't know how to rate it.

This is exactly how I'd rank them as well except I'd put Wrath above WoD. Despite being at the low end of my enjoyment it's not like I hate the expansion, it just doesn't offer much and I only log on a few hours a week. This is the exact same problem I had with Cataclysm but I still played and enjoyed the entirety of Cata until the typical blizzard year long no new content where I threw in the towel until MoP. Really though the only reason that WoD isn't tied at the bottom with Cata is because it can lean on old content for me. The item squish combined with the old mob stat scaling makes it so I can solo basically anything pre-MoP with any of my characters which means I can finally go after transmogs I've wanted on various alts and can clean up some of those mounts I never managed to get when that content was current, but, at the same time the fact that my favorite feature of the expansion is something that doesn't have me actually participating with the content of that expansion is fucking weird.

Robin64

Doing old stuff is exactly my current favourite thing too. I feel like that shouldn't be the case. It's frustrating in a way that it is.

I've even gone back to levelling my PvP realm character and having a lot more fun than logging in to my level 100 guy.

Also Wrath > Mists > TBC > WoD > Cata for me.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

TBC > Wrath > WoD > Mists > Cata imo.

WoD PvP is much better than most prior expansions, probably the closest we've gotten to every spec being viable (and a big part of that is having individual spec set bonuses that can plug holes and can be used for very specific tuning). As for PvE, Highmaul is pretty fun, but can't really say much until Blackrock comes out since that's the big one.

If you don't pvp, I can see WoD being pretty underwhelming simply because there's really nothing to grind out like in prior xpacs from a pve standpoint (aka dailies, rep, etc...). Which I personally love, because I can get all of my pve enjoyment by simply logging on and jumping into Highmaul 1-2 days a week, and then the rest of the time I can spend on PvP. WoD cuts out the fat and let's you do what you want without enormous time commitments or grinding (aside from Ashran for pvp, that's a complete mess and failure).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think WoD took some really important steps when it comes to the overall direction World of Warcraft is heading, and these can be easy for players to overlook because this expansion is also a victim of Blizzard's production pipeline issues. It's actually pretty radical that Blizzard were willing to remove components of the game that weren't working. The stat squish, the restructure and removal of many unnecessary stats, reforging being trashed, simplified gear modification, dynamic primary stats on armor, the ability pruning, an attempt at reducing visual noise from spell effects, the healing system shifting to something less binary, back end work targeting latency, the model reworks, flying mounts being shunned, and flexible raid player counts in relevant content. There are lots of changes that are nearly invisible that still have a big impact on the player experience that will have a positive impact on the game for likely years to come.

What's sad is that WoD's end game raid content was broken apart in what seems like an attempt to cover for the lack of content in other places. Blackrock Foundry has been complete for ages and is in the game but locked away. World of Warcraft's strength has been and will continue to be its raid content, but Highmaul on its own wasn't really enough to fuel a healthy raid scene, or incentivize players to really immerse themselves or reach for raiding. WoD is actually probably the best expansion WoW's gotten, for me at least. It's like a bunch of junk that was bringing the game down got barfed up, and while WoD itself is a little thin it has left WoW in a great place to grow.

Robin64

Mind, I put Cata last, but I don't know if we count the old world revamp as part of it not. I guess it was, technically, but everyone got that even if they didn't buy the expansion. It certainly took away a lot of resources that would have otherwise been spent on endgame, that's for sure.

Suffice to say, the old world revamp was superb and it's a joy to play through now. I implore everyone to experience each natural "route" (such as Tirisfal -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad etc) at least once.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
WoD is actually probably the best expansion WoW's gotten, for me at least. It's like a bunch of junk that was bringing the game down got barfed up, and while WoD itself is a little thin it has left WoW in a great place to grow.

Yep, this pretty much. I feel like things are only going to get better going forward. WoD did a great job cleaning out the trash that's accumulated over the years, and setting up a good baseline for future content in both pvp and pve.

Opiate

From a long lost player and 3x gladiator, I have basically one major concern: alliance racials look way, way better now than horde ones, and it looks like WoD made that problem notably worse.

cdyhybrid

From a long lost player and 3x gladiator, I have basically one major concern: alliance racials look way, way better now than horde ones, and it looks like WoD made that problem notably worse.

Go to the arena standings and take a gander at the races/factions of the top players :p

Top Bottom